PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top Ten Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill B.

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
I was watching the NFL channel the other day and their Top Ten series has done shows doing the Steelers, Packers, and Cowboys. I was wondering what Patriots they would put on it. It is a lot harder to come up with this list than I thought. I had to leave some pretty good guys off my list. I'll go in reverse order like they do on the show.

10. Tedy Bruschi. 13 seasons, 2 Pro Bowls. I so wanted to put Julius Adams here, but Tedy was the heart and soul of the defense during the Super Bowl run. Recovering from a stroke and coming back to play is awe-inspiring.

9. Steve Nelson. 14 seasons, 3 Pro Bowls. One of the best players on the team during the 70s. Only missed 3 games in his career and was twice the Patriots team MVP.

8. Bruce Armstrong. 14 seasons, 6 Pro Bowls. Played in 212 games. Most of any Patriot. Anchor in the offensive line during the 90s.

7. Gino Capaletti. 11 seasons, 5 time AFL All Star. All time leading scorer for the AFL. The fact that this guy is not in the pro football HOF is a travesty.

6. Adam Vinatieri. 10 seasons with Patriots, 2 Pro Bowls with Patriots. Should a field goal kicker be on the top ten list? When you win 2 Super Bowls at the end of the game, yes. The kick he made in the snow to tie the Raiders in the 2001 playoffs has to go down as the greatest kick in NFL history.

5. Drew Bledsoe. 9 seasons with Patriots, 3 Pro Bowls with Patriots. As a longtime Patriots fan, I appreciate what Bledsoe did for the Patriots. He gave them credibility. He always played hard and ,a lot of times, played hurt. Helped beat the Steelers in 2001 playoffs and behaved like a good teammate when he didn't get the SB start. I'll always like Drew.

4. Mike Haynes. 7 season with Patriots, 6 Pro Bowls. This was tough because he left the Patriots to go to the hated Raiders. But if you look at his accomplishments as a Patriot, he was amazing. Best defensive back in Patriot history.

3. John Hannah. 13 seasons, 9 Pro Bowls. First Patriot in the HOF. He was as tough as they come. Used to love to see pull on sweeps. Missed only 5 of 191 games because of injury.

2. Andre Tippett. 12 seasons, 5 Pro Bowls. Hold Patriots record for sacks with 100. NFL record for sacks over a 2 year period with 35 in 1984-85. When once told that he was "the Lawrence Taylor of the AFC" he replied, "No. Lawrence Taylor is the Andre Tippett of the NFC." One of the best answers I have ever seen a football player give.

1. Tom Brady. 12 season, 7 Pro Bowls. Who else? 3-2 Super Bowl record. 33 game winning drives. Winning percentage of .780. He has never gone more than 2 seasons in a row as a starter without going to the Super Bowl.

That's my list for the top Patriots of all time. There were a lot of good ones that I left off. Who would you put in the Patriots top ten?

You put together a great list. Hard to question any of your picks, or even their placement. HOWEVER this is a fan board, so I wouldn't be doing my duty if I didn't make some changes, even if they are subtle.

1. I'd swap Steve Nelson, for Ty Law

2 I'd swap Richard Seymour for Tedy Bruschi if talent is the mandate, but if longevity is a big component, then I'd stay with Tedy.

3. There also could be a case made for Stanley Morgan for Geno

4. There also could be a case for NOT having a kicker, even one as great as Adam was among the top 10. I know people will always remember the 3 kicks that helped change the destiny of the Pats, but I also remember the 2 misses in 1999 that ended Pete Carroll's time in NE, and the 2 misses in the Carolina super bowl that would have made his final kick irrelevant. Hard for me to elevate someone into the top 10 for just 3 plays.

Good list. I'd be interested to hear the Top 10 based on their prime, which might just be a 3-4 year window. If that's the criteria, I think this list is dominated with recent players.

I was watching the NFL channel the other day and their Top Ten series has done shows doing the Steelers, Packers, and Cowboys. I was wondering what Patriots they would put on it. It is a lot harder to come up with this list than I thought. I had to leave some pretty good guys off my list. I'll go in reverse order like they do on the show.

10. Tedy Bruschi. 13 seasons, 2 Pro Bowls. I so wanted to put Julius Adams here, but Tedy was the heart and soul of the defense during the Super Bowl run. Recovering from a stroke and coming back to play is awe-inspiring.

9. Steve Nelson. 14 seasons, 3 Pro Bowls. One of the best players on the team during the 70s. Only missed 3 games in his career and was twice the Patriots team MVP.

8. Bruce Armstrong. 14 seasons, 6 Pro Bowls. Played in 212 games. Most of any Patriot. Anchor in the offensive line during the 90s.

7. Gino Capaletti. 11 seasons, 5 time AFL All Star. All time leading scorer for the AFL. The fact that this guy is not in the pro football HOF is a travesty.

6. Adam Vinatieri. 10 seasons with Patriots, 2 Pro Bowls with Patriots. Should a field goal kicker be on the top ten list? When you win 2 Super Bowls at the end of the game, yes. The kick he made in the snow to tie the Raiders in the 2001 playoffs has to go down as the greatest kick in NFL history.

5. Drew Bledsoe. 9 seasons with Patriots, 3 Pro Bowls with Patriots. As a longtime Patriots fan, I appreciate what Bledsoe did for the Patriots. He gave them credibility. He always played hard and ,a lot of times, played hurt. Helped beat the Steelers in 2001 playoffs and behaved like a good teammate when he didn't get the SB start. I'll always like Drew.

4. Mike Haynes. 7 season with Patriots, 6 Pro Bowls. This was tough because he left the Patriots to go to the hated Raiders. But if you look at his accomplishments as a Patriot, he was amazing. Best defensive back in Patriot history.

3. John Hannah. 13 seasons, 9 Pro Bowls. First Patriot in the HOF. He was as tough as they come. Used to love to see pull on sweeps. Missed only 5 of 191 games because of injury.

2. Andre Tippett. 12 seasons, 5 Pro Bowls. Hold Patriots record for sacks with 100. NFL record for sacks over a 2 year period with 35 in 1984-85. When once told that he was "the Lawrence Taylor of the AFC" he replied, "No. Lawrence Taylor is the Andre Tippett of the NFC." One of the best answers I have ever seen a football player give.

1. Tom Brady. 12 season, 7 Pro Bowls. Who else? 3-2 Super Bowl record. 33 game winning drives. Winning percentage of .780. He has never gone more than 2 seasons in a row as a starter without going to the Super Bowl.

That's my list for the top Patriots of all time. There were a lot of good ones that I left off. Who would you put in the Patriots top ten?

Good idea. I can agree with most of what you have. Personally, I would have:

10) Vinateri
9) Troy Brown
8) Bledsoe
7) Capaletti
6) Armstrong
5) Law
4) Bruschi
3) Tippett
2) Hannah
1) Brady

Harder than it looks!

Last edited:
I chuckle when I think of the Patriots when I was growing up, particularly in the early 90s. I remember such standouts as Hugh Millen, Scott "Missin" Sisson, Marv Cook (aka our best player), Eugene Chung, Leonard Russell (my first favorite Patriot), and "the undertaker" Vincent Brown. Amazing how far the franchise has come since those days.

I chuckle when I think of the Patriots when I was growing up, particularly in the early 90s. I remember such standouts as Hugh Millen, Scott "Missin" Sisson, Marv Cook (aka our best player), Eugene Chung, Leonard Russell (my first favorite Patriot), and "the undertaker" Vincent Brown. Amazing how far the franchise has come since those days.

Ah those were the days. I remember in gym class we used to mock Sisson and see how badly we could shank a kick.

Stanley Morgan has to be included. And I would add Steve Grogan. He was the first QB to make the team respectable.

Let's not forget Ben Coates,Mosi Tatupu and Garin Veris as well

Russ Francis should be on this list somewhere.

10) Adam Vinateiri
9) Troy Brown
8) Ty Law
7) Drew Bledsoe
6) Gino Capaletti
5) Steve Grogan
4) Tedy Bruschi
3) Andre Tippett
2) John Hannah
1) Tom Brady

Tough list to create. I went more with what the player ment to the franchise more then just pure talent. That is why Haynes is not on the list and why Bruschi and Grogan are.

I agree 100% with the original list with your three changes.

I also am sure that I would include a kicker in the top 10. I'm not sure Adam V. did more as a patriot that Ben Coates or Russ Francis.

You put together a great list. Hard to question any of your picks, or even their placement. HOWEVER this is a fan board, so I wouldn't be doing my duty if I didn't make some changes, even if they are subtle.

2 I'd swap Richard Seymour for Tedy Bruschi if talent is the mandate, but if longevity is a big component, then I'd stay with Tedy.

4. There also could be a case for NOT having a kicker, even one as great as Adam was among the top 10. I know people will always remember the 3 kicks that helped change the destiny of the Pats, but I also remember the 2 misses in 1999 that ended Pete Carroll's time in NE, and the 2 misses in the Carolina super bowl that would have made his final kick irrelevant. Hard for me to elevate someone into the top 10 for just 3 plays.

It's a hard list to make, I'm inclined to lean more to the dynasty guys but maybe that's just because I remember them better? You have to include Ty Law, for example, if for nothing else his INT return in Superbowl 36. One of the greatest moments in team history from a guy that in myopinion is a hall of famer but probably won't get in. Bruschi has to be included as does Troy Brown, when you think of the Pats you think of them after Brady. Then of course Vinatieri needs to be included for his title/snowbowl winning kicks. In no particular order:

Bruschi
Brown
Vinatieri
Law
Capaletti
Morgan
Tippett
Bledsoe
Hannah
Brady

With regards to Vinatieri. Yes its a few plays but 2 of them altered this entire franchise. If AV misses that kick in the snow bowl who knows what happens after that? I'd like to think we still make the runs in 03 and 04 but who the hell knows? Hard to leave him off the list IMO.

1. Tom Brady
  2. John Hannah
  3. Andre Tippett
  4. Stanley Morgan
  5. Houston Antwine
  6. Ben Coates
  7. Mike Haynes
  8. Steve Nelson
  9. Gino Cappelletti
  10. Ron Sellers :D j/k ... Bruce Armstrong

With regards to Vinatieri. Yes its a few plays but 2 of them altered this entire franchise. If AV misses that kick in the snow bowl who knows what happens after that? I'd like to think we still make the runs in 03 and 04 but who the hell knows? Hard to leave him off the list IMO.

I have never understood why people think that what happened in the 2001 playoffs would have an impact on the 03 and 04 playoffs.

1) Andy Johnson
Thank you.

1) Andy Johnson
Thank you.

One of my favorite alltime Patriots. Question for you. If this was a list for the most versatile Patriot, who would you put first, Andy Johnson or Troy Brown?

People forget the backfield of Johnson, Cunningham, and Calhoun set the record for most yards by a single NFL team in one season. I don't remember the exact yardage but it was over 3000. If they did a top ten running back tandem, I wonder if they would even get consideration.

He also has made 18 game winning kicks. And don't forget making a tackle on Herschel Walker.

Stanley Morgan has to be included. And I would add Steve Grogan. He was the first QB to make the team respectable.

Babe Parilli and Jim Plunkett would probably disagree with you.

I wanted to put both those guys on but it is tough to pick ten. In the end I picked guys who were personal favorites. But hey, it is subjective so everyones list would be didderent. A lot of guys don't have Steve Nelson, but he was my favorite player when he played so I put him on my list.

One of my favorite alltime Patriots. Question for you. If this was a list for the most versatile Patriot, who would you put first, Andy Johnson or Troy Brown?

People forget the backfield of Johnson, Cunningham, and Calhoun set the record for most yards by a single NFL team in one season. I don't remember the exact yardage but it was over 3000. If they did a top ten running back tandem, I wonder if they would even get consideration.

I think it was actually Johnson, Cunningham, and Horace Ivory in 1978 (with Calhoun playing a small role) plus Grogan running for 500 or so that set the record. I want to say it was around 3150.

Tough question on most versatile, but they would also be in the short list of most football smart too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes