PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top Needs Without Re-signings or Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought most most had Brown as a DT and as a potnetial backup NT for the pats.
=========
NT from patriots.com

Korch concluded, "We could always see the talent in him. Kareem’s going to take it to another level."

Brown agrees.

"Yes, I can [play nose tackle]. When we went to our 3-4, I played end. This is my dream…I will play whatever the Patriots ask me to play."
========================
DT from SI
SI.com - 2007 NFL Draft - Kareem Brown

Read more at: Meet the Rookies - DL Kareem Brown

Well, he played DT for the 'Canes, but, at 6'5"/280, I always had a hard time seeing him playing the nose fulltime in BB's 3-4. He always seemed to me more of a Jarvis Green/Mike Wright type.

In the end, so did the coaching staff. He didn't last very long for a 4th rounder.

Well, he played DT for the 'Canes, but, at 6'5"/280, I always had a hard time seeing him playing the nose fulltime in BB's 3-4. He always seemed to me more of a Jarvis Green/Mike Wright type.

Yes Love "stuck" and was inactive before the injuries accumulated; however, Koppen has testified that working against him on the Scout team has improved his own game. As a rule I don't expect much from rookie DL, especially ones coming from a one-gap system and needing to learn NE's. They need to learn to read blocking schemes and blocks, it took Wilfork 1.5 seasons before he started to understand what was happening and apply his practice reps to counter the OL. Love "stuck," and he has a lot to learn, but I'm seeing progress and maybe a "Vince-lite" in the making.

Agreed, I didn't mean my comment as a slight on Love -- just that a UDFA invite doesn't seem like an example of a team determined to find a backup NT.

Agreed, I didn't mean my comment as a slight on Love -- just that a UDFA invite doesn't seem like an example of a team determined to find a backup NT.

Well, they may be "determined", without being necessarily desperate. With Wilfork not being any kind of chronic injury problem and a bunch of versatile D-line guys who can make a lot of different fronts mostly effective, the Pats kinda have the luxury of being able to pick up a guy like Love and try to groom him for a couple years (especially with Brace maybe still being a candidate). I'm sure there have been at least a few other young, "off-the-radar" guys the Pats have brought in to give the same kind of shot to over the past few years. I mean, one never knows when some other team's "reject" is going to blossom for BB.

I'd put money against anyone's guess regarding our first three picks.

Yes, Love has played well for a rookie UDFA. That and a couple of bucks will buy him a coffee as Dunkin Donuts and an opportunity to compete for a roster spot next year. Love has been absolutely aweful as a NT backup and he isn't anywhere near the others in other roles. He's been better than some of the walkons.

Don't get me wrong. Given that we have three defensive linemen on the IR, I'm glad we have Love. Lovwe is an amergency player who has worked out OK.

I compare him to Fletcher who I think has played much better than Love. I think Fletcher has shown that he belongs on the roster.

A little harsher than I would be on Love, but a good post. Fletcher seems to get more confidence each game. I am not sure if he is an OLB or an ILB though in the future. Pleasant surprise.
DW Toys

I'm with you on Warren, I like his versatility and I like having some vets aboard who have seen life on the other side of the fence and appreciate how green it is here.

As for "trying" in the past...I'm not sure any of the examples you listed really fill the bill. Kareem Brown was 6'4" 290 and I don't recall anybody considering him an NT, he has only played DE. Brace looked for all the world like an NT, but he lined up at DE from day 1 too. (That STILL baffles me.) And Love was simply a UDFA who stuck, and wasn't even active until linemen started dropping like flies late in the season.

I would have thought Pryor was more of a NT type at 6'1" and a back up to VW but it seems they have these guys play all over the line. I have seen Wight, Love, VW , Pryor, Warren and Brace line up at what one could say is NT but not really with this D. Isn't it appear more they do an unbalanced D line and slide them over to cover the center?

Good catch on the Brace deal. I thought the same.
DW Toys

With the current lack of depth in the front 7, you would think at least one of the first three picks are going in that direction. If you ask me, I think based on need, tendencies, past errors, we don't look at any one of the following with that 17th pick(if we keep it).

QB
RB (I've seen a lot of Ingram here in mocks, but just no way)
TE's - stocked there
WR's - lot's of depth in the first round, but given Pryce/Edelman and coming back to strategy that works, doubtful
Safeties - unlikely, but possible depending on the organizational buy in of Merriweather

Which leaves us the Front 7 and OL, whereas the clearest need is on that front 7. It's also where this draft has the most depth. So if we keep that pick, what are the chances we go with one of the following 4?

Von Miller
Ryan Kerrigan
Cameron Jordan
Akeem Ayers

Unlikely that we see any of the studs drop to us. Would like have to trade up for (Bowers, Dareus, Quinn, Fairley). Most mocks I see have an assortment of those four go to us unless we go OL, whereas there just isn't the kind of OL talent in this draft to take with a pick that high. Nor has it been a tendency of BB's.

50%?

Interesting post Cousin!
I got torched
t-and-p.gif
by saying this is a fairly weak Draft but I stand by it. DBs, TE, RB and O line are very slim pickings. Decent WR and some front seven depth.I think it was comparable to the weak 2007 Draft where BB bailed. In my opinion (mine please, to stop any unneeded disciplines here) he might see this year as the same and build for the 2012 Draft but we do not know what that will be until the underclassmen declare this year and the CBA works out.

I see two DEs (not one), OL (C,G or T), OLB, a taller big body WR unless that is what Hernandez is determined to be, RB, CB and S in that order.

Would I ( no unneeded disciplines once again please) trade into 2012, sign Light and Mankins as priorities and pick and choose select FA types? (yes I know you can't get them all but no one knows the CBA rules yet).
I (no disciplines) would opt that route. There has been rumors about Larry Fitzgerald and the Pats (CAP costs???) but I would throw some picks at AZ. I think (me) that makes Welker and Branch even better. In my opinion Welker was hurt by Moss leaving (maybe still not 100% though).

I still would like to see a DE with a rush motor and speed. Other than Wright, what we classify as a DE are slower to rush the passer. Seams like the guy that had a shot, Deadrick is on a slippery slope.

Mark Ingram if he comes out (A weak senior year maybe leaves him at #33?)

A top OL choice to compare to the Volmer pick

Now some thoughts to cover our needs without resigning or extensions to the present roster:
A pick or two for Fitz.

I would love to see Asomugha playing opposite McCourty but that would be too expensive (?). That might pave the way to have Bodden move to safety? (just an idea but he has size, not afraid to tackle and ball skills).How about Champ Bailey (pending $) as a Safety in our system? All these guys would help the back end but we still need to upgrade the D line or those mentioned will still get beat. I like to consider DE Ray Edwards. He had another productive year on a very bad Team. His thing would be cost. Most people in this forum hate him for some reason. Lawson at OLB would be interesting to me. I see him as an upgrade over Tully and he has developed into a good cover LB with 6 PDF and an Int (2.5 sacks and 6.5 in 2009) on a weak Team. Both of these guys will be available pending CBA.

At a 17% success rate on NFL average per Draft, as everyone knows I am not sold on that devise alone. I like a sprinkling of each. You just know every Draft is a crap shoot. We laugh at other Teams but we have missed on our share in the past. Lat year was not the norm and BB hit a home run at 58% which will shrink somewhat. In general it has been said that last years Draft was one of the best league wise for many years. So in the end filling needs is not all a Draft deal.

DW Toys

Last edited:
LT (unless Light is re-signed)
LG (unless Mankins is re-signed)
RG (unless the team does not feel that Connolly needs to be upgraded
C (Koppen is in his last year; or we could extend Koppen)
S (it takes at least a year for us to train a safety; or we could extend both safeties)
RB (some of us are kidding ourselves; we have 2 solid RB's and 2-3 open positions)
NT backup (I'm not satisfied with Love; re-signing G. Warren would be a solution)

you could actually make that a RT because if Light moves on, Vollmer will definitely move to LT. I see that OL being the biggest need and BB using two of his first five on this. Another one (possibly two) on the DL and maybe a skill position but I doubt it will be a RB. Maybe another CB or WR flyer.

maybe a skill position but I doubt it will be a RB. Maybe another CB or WR flyer.

They will have two, maybe three, openings at RB. But they won't take ANY.

They have a young promising WR that is inactive every game because he can't break into the lineup. And you want to take ANOTHER one.

That just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

My strong preference is that we re-sign our pro-bowler at LT rather than weaken both LT and RT by moving Vollmer. Vollmer was a great back, has learned well, and in progressing to be an pro-bowler at RT. If we re-sign Light, we will have one of the strongest pairs in the league.

you could actually make that a RT because if Light moves on, Vollmer will definitely move to LT. I see that OL being the biggest need and BB using two of his first five on this. Another one (possibly two) on the DL and maybe a skill position but I doubt it will be a RB. Maybe another CB or WR flyer.

Interesting post Cousin!
I got torched
t-and-p.gif
by saying this is a fairly weak Draft but I stand by it. DW Toys

Mike Mayock was echoing the same idea about a week ago. During the interview, he stated as of right now, he doesn't have a senior with a 1st round grade (the first for him).

He also scoffs at the "draft boards" people have right now. he said it's way to early to even talk about Luck going #1 (if he came out).

So one of the best in the business agrees with DW TOYS

this draft reeks of BPA and trade downs.

Mike Mayock was echoing the same idea about a week ago. During the interview, he stated as of right now, he doesn't have a senior with a 1st round grade (the first for him).

He also scoffs at the "draft boards" people have right now. he said it's way to early to even talk about Luck going #1 (if he came out).

So one of the best in the business agrees with DW TOYS

To clarify, a written copy of Mike Mayocks ideas (when discussed with CNNSI's Don Banks) - can be found here:

"Draft lacking in senior talent. The draft has seemingly gotten more junior-dominated every year, but NFL talent evaluators believe this is one of the weakest senior classes in memory. Mayock said he doesn't have a single first-round grade on a senior running back, receiver or tight end at the moment, with the quarterback position being an open question. While the depth of last year's draft was outstanding, in part because the fear of the unknown prompted a lot of juniors to enter the league before a rookie wage scale is adopted as part of a new CBA in 2011, the draft isn't expected to be as deep, top to bottom, this time around."

Read more: 2011 NFL Draft notebook on Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, more - Don Banks - SI.com

In it, it says he does not have a senior TE, WR or RB with a first round grade at this point in time. Big difference to what you wrote above (no senior with 1st round grade). Still Don Banks / Mike Mayock do paint a picture of a shallow draft. Good thing our multiple picks are in the top 3 rounds (instead of bottom).

But the whole article is a very good read about the 2011 draft. (free access)

P.S. As this thread is about needs - just noticed as underclassman deadline is tomorrow, that there is ALOT of underclassman RB's declaring for the draft. While maybe not all future All-Pros, the large # declaring might give Pats 'time' to wait til 3rd round before drafting a decent rock carrier. Just a hope,as I am thinking with top 4 picks (first 2 rounds ) it could go DE, OLB, trade into 2012, OL - although not necessarily in that order.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore