2B. Mikel Leshoure, RB, Illinois
Height: 6-1. Weight: 228.
4c6a73de5b688.preview-300.jpg

3A. Jerrell Powe, DT Mississippi 6-2 330
jerrell_display_image.jpg

3B. Steve Schilling, G, Michigan
Height: 6-5. Weight: 303.
stephen-schilling-p1.jpg

This enables us to really ReLoad.. We get our front 7 set with Cunningham and Bowers on the outside and giving us a LB corps of Bowers / Cunningham / Mayo / Spikes :eek:

I really like Floyd and I think we can manage to grab him if we really want to.. He knows the offense and would make a great asset in the years to come.. Tate / Floyd / Edelmen / Welker / Price

We needed to address the right side of the OL.. I believe that we will sign Mankins in the offseason.. I think Matt Light is allowed to leave moving Vollmer to LT .. So that means we need to address the Right side.. I think these guys can will be a great infusion of youth and have experience in a zone blocking scheme.

My other two picks Powe and Leshoure are the Wild Card picks.. but I think both would be great picks in terms of the direction the team is moving forward via offense and defense.

Leshoure would be great power back that would replace Fred Taylor and compliment Law Firm and Woody..

Powe is BIG DT that can move.. hmmm.(Big Vince) I think I like the sound of that type of player.. BB likes versatility and seems like he likes these massive front 3 guys.. Props to this post

my .02 :cool:

A bit Offensive for MY taste, but I like the 3 Grizzlies and SuperFreak Flanker Prospect, DaQuan Bowers. :cool:

If Floyd falls into the 20s i would trade up for him even if it means giving up Minnesota's 3rd round pick or a future 3rd rounder.

So, with McKenzie now gone, apparently permanently, I guess we're penciling in Dane Fletcher unless we're looking for something more.

And, with Wheatley now gone (maybe not permanently), the CB ranks appear to shake out like this:

LCB: McCourty - Butler
RCB: Bodden - Arrington
SLCB: Wilhite/Arrington (doesn't seem like Arrington's slot coverage would be significantly worse than Wilhite's, PLUS, he plays the run like an extra safety).

However, maybe we're now looking for another guy who can play RCB well?

We need aggresive corners that can play man on man.Enough of guys like Wilhite.

Here are mine :
1a Cameron Heyward DE
1b Marvin Austin DT
2a Orlando Franklin LG
2b Lee Ziemba OT
And please no WR or a RB in first two rounds.

Over a month later mine selection stays the same - beef up DL AND upgrade OL.

So, with McKenzie now gone, apparently permanently, I guess we're penciling in Dane Fletcher unless we're looking for something more.

And, with Wheatley now gone (maybe not permanently), the CB ranks appear to shake out like this:

LCB: McCourty - Butler
RCB: Bodden - Arrington
SLCB: Wilhite/Arrington (doesn't seem like Arrington's slot coverage would be significantly worse than Wilhite's, PLUS, he plays the run like an extra safety).

However, maybe we're now looking for another guy who can play RCB well?

Excellent breakdown, man. Thanks for sharing it.

Personally, I can't WAIT to see my boy Leigh Bodden and Devin McCourty take the field together, next year. And with Darius Butler a potentially tremendous NickelBack, and Jon Wilhite and Kyle Arrington a couple of SCRAPPERS, I think this crew is gonna be tremendous.

NOT that I would have any objection to picking up a Free Agent, especially if the rosters get expanded to 56, 58, or even 60. Josh Thomas of Beefalo has caught my eye. I LOVE explosive Small School kids. If you can play, you can play. :cool:

There's quite some posts I'd like to chime in, but I'll have to do it later because I'm posting from my mobile and, quite frankly, it sucks.
Well, yesterday I went to bed late (what wasn't such a good idea, 'cause I had to wake up at five this morning) and managed to pull a new draft together. I'm pretty happy with this new one, even tough I dropped some players I really liked.
I think I should start by saying I really want Dareus, Farley or Ingram with that Raiders' pick. But they'll be gone by then. If they're there, great, get them without hesitation. But I think they'll be gone, so I had to adapt.

1A - Floyd/Baldwin/Jones, WR
A wideout with the first pick, something I really didn't want to do... But I believe that the Browns game showed how badly a deepthreat is needed, and how much damage the Patriots offense can do against above-average defenses without one. So get Floyd or Jones (guys I really like and Belichick has or had some inside info about) or Baldwin (another great player, for sure, but Belichick seems to ignore Pitt players most of the time). This WR class is very special, with 4 players who can all be the next Calvin Johnson.

1B -*Beal, Oklahoma, OLB
Beal and Cunningham got a ring to it. The guy has a great motor, incredible work ethic and is a team leader. He's a Belichick pick, and a great fit for the defense. The pass rush needs help, and Beal will provide t. And IMO he will play the pass and the run better than Quinn.

2A*- Heyward, Ohio St, DL
Heyward has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. He's got all the tools just like Odrick, but is tougher against the run. His pass tush moves are limited, but if Pepper can make a player out of Wright hr can make a star out of Heyward.

2B-3B+4B - Leshoure, Illinois, RB
How about this: the Patriots move up the second round with their 3B, grab Leshoure and another fourth rounder. He's not only a great runner, but also a great receiver. He's no Ingram, but can be the missing piece for the committee.

3A - Morris, Temple, T
4A -*Boling, Georgia, T/G
4B - Carpenter, Alabama, T/G
5A - Gilbert, Florida, T/G
My previous mocks all had O-linemen in the top rounds but, looking at the great work Scar has done with low picks, I think it would be better to stockpile on O-linemen (like the 2010 draft tried to do, but with the roster spots to keep the players) and let him decide who are the hits and who are the misses. I see quite some talent on the later rounds by small school prospects (like Ijalana from Villanova) and some guys who could change positions and be NFL-calyber starters (Boling, Carpenter, Gilbert) and, quite frankly, I don't see that much of a talent dropoff from the 1rst rounders to the 4th rounders in this draft - unlike DEs, OLBs, RBs and specially WRs.

6A - Carter, Fresno St, OLB
One of the prospects I'm looking forward the most to have on the team. The kid from Fresno St with great motor, pass rush skills and leadership is a great pick with incredible value. I wouldn't mind if he was to be picked in the 4th or 5th, as long as he becomes a Patriot. Man, do I like this prospect.

7A - Marecic, Stanford, FB/LB
The tough kid from Stanfors has all Belichick looks for in a player: versatility, intelligence and character. This late in the draft you won't find better value, or such a special player.

Last edited:
IF we don't do anything meaningful between now and the draft, we could do alot worse than focusing on the defensive front seven and our OL for all four picks.

The open question is what we will do in free agency to meet those needs and those at RB and WR.

IF we don't do anything meaningful between now and the draft, we could do alot worse than focusing on the defensive front seven and our OL for all four picks.

The open question is what we will do in free agency to meet those needs and those at RB and WR.

I would still prefer if BB just signed tier two and tier three FA's to provide depth, hopefully he targets some younger guys that maybe could develop into something ala Vrabel.

With Wheatley flamed out and Wilhite and Butler sitting somewhere between well done and extra crispy, I wonder if BB doesn't go yet again back to CB.

1A - OLB Ryan Kerrigan of Purdue. Appears to have the size and strength, need to see how he runs at the combine. Strong pass rusher, above average against the run, needs work in coverage.

1B - DE Christain Ballard of Iowa. Solid in run support, but needs to learn to be effective as a two gap DE.

2A- OG Clint Boling of Georgia. Position versatile, flat back run grader with decent pop. Takes Mankins place immiediately if Mankins leaves or Neal's place after a red shirt year.

2B - RB Daniel Thomas of Kansas State. Strong runner, can catch and has shown a little blocking ability as well.

3A - SS Mark Barron of Alabama. Knows our defense and is an excellent red shirt candidate that can contribute on ST.

3B - OT Ziemba of Auburn. Absolute run masher that can play the right side while Vollmer moves to the left side. Not bad as a pass protector, but not exposed much in our two TE offense.

4 - WR Niles Paul of Nebraska.

I would still prefer if BB just signed tier two and tier three FA's to provide depth, hopefully he targets some younger guys that maybe could develop into something ala Vrabel.

With Wheatley flamed out and Wilhite and Butler sitting somewhere between well done and extra crispy, I wonder if BB doesn't go yet again back to CB.

1A - OLB Ryan Kerrigan of Purdue. Appears to have the size and strength, need to see how he runs at the combine. Strong pass rusher, above average against the run, needs work in coverage.

1B - DE Christain Ballard of Iowa. Solid in run support, but needs to learn to be effective as a two gap DE.

2A- OG Clint Boling of Georgia. Position versatile, flat back run grader with decent pop. Takes Mankins place immiediately if Mankins leaves or Neal's place after a red shirt year.

2B - RB Daniel Thomas of Kansas State. Strong runner, can catch and has shown a little blocking ability as well.

3A - SS Mark Barron of Alabama. Knows our defense and is an excellent red shirt candidate that can contribute on ST.

3B - OT Ziemba of Auburn. Absolute run masher that can play the right side while Vollmer moves to the left side. Not bad as a pass protector, but not exposed much in our two TE offense.

Out of the hundreds of mocks ive seen this is my favorite by far. not the biggest fan of barron though, but nice

Well, how do you like that... almost 4,000 post and I finally learned how to do a multi-quote. I am off to a good start.

I agree with both of you... focus on the front seven and o-line and grab a couple of mid tier free agents. Ideally the Patriots go into the draft with no glaring holes, this allows them to add quality depth and additional competition across the board.

Free agents, I haven't really looked on offense but Mankins would be real high on my list.

These two two are coming off injuries which may keep their cost low, they are solid players that may turn into good players include:
Marcus Spears - 3-4 DE Dallas, former Sabanite from bama
Mathias Kiwanuka - OLB/DE

Front Seven (pre-draft)
-----------Warren, Wilfork, Spears
Cunningham -- Spikes -- Mayo -- Kiwanuka

With Guyton, TBC, Wright, Deadrick, Brace as depth. Not the steel curtain but a good start

O Line (pre-draft)
Vollmer, Neal, Koppen, Mankins, Light
- depth Connolly

This unit needs some help and needs to get younger.

Let me think about the draft and maybe a few offensive free agents. For some reason Safety may be a bigger need than we think, I don't think they keep the 'dip stick' after this year.

Last edited:
Well, you're right. If we sign Mankins, Spears and Kiwanuka, there will be little pressure on the draft. I would add that one the Warren's needs to be coming back.

We would then have no glaring holes going into the draft except at RB. Even there, one free agent since almost a given.

Well, how do you like that... almost 4,000 post and I finally learned how to do a multi-quote. I am off to a good start.

I agree with both of you... focus on the front seven and o-line and grab a couple of mid tier free agents. Ideally the Patriots go into the draft with no glaring holes, this allows them to add quality depth and additional competition across the board.

Free agents, I haven't really looked on offense but Mankins would be real high on my list.

These two two are coming off injuries which may keep their cost low, they are solid players that may turn into good players include:
Marcus Spears - 3-4 DE Dallas, former Sabanite from bama
Mathias Kiwanuka - OLB/DE

Front Seven (pre-draft)
-----------Warren, Wilfork, Spears
Cunningham -- Spikes -- Mayo -- Kiwanuka

With Guyton, TBC, Wright, Deadrick, Brace as depth. Not the steel curtain but a good start

O Line (pre-draft)
Vollmer, Neal, Koppen, Mankins, Light
- depth Connolly

This unit needs some help and needs to get younger.

Let me think about the draft and maybe a few offensive free agents. For some reason Safety may be a bigger need than we think, I don't think they keep the 'dip stick' after this year.

Last edited:
There's quite some posts I'd like to chime in, but I'll have to do it later because I'm posting from my mobile and, quite frankly, it sucks.

Well, yesterday I went to bed late (what wasn't such a good idea, 'cause I had to wake up at five this morning) and managed to pull a new draft together. I'm pretty happy with this new one, even tough I dropped some players I really liked.

I think I should start by saying I really want Dareus, Farley or Ingram with that Raiders' pick. But they'll be gone by then. If they're there, great, get them without hesitation. But I think they'll be gone, so I had to adapt.

1A - Floyd/Baldwin/Jones, WR

julio.jpg

A wideout with the first pick, something I really didn't want to do... But I believe that the Browns game showed how badly a deepthreat is needed, and how much damage the Patriots offense can do against above-average defenses without one. So get Floyd or Jones (guys I really like and Belichick has or had some inside info about) or Baldwin (another great player, for sure, but Belichick seems to ignore Pitt players most of the time). This WR class is very special, with 4 players who can all be the next Calvin Johnson.

1B -*Beal, Oklahoma, OLB

Oklahoma+v+Miami+8wyLylLArHBl.jpg

Beal and Cunningham got a ring to it. The guy has a great motor, incredible work ethic and is a team leader. He's a Belichick pick, and a great fit for the defense. The pass rush needs help, and Beal will provide t. And IMO he will play the pass and the run better than Quinn.

Wisconsin+v+Ohio+State+IagmpWDTm14l.jpg

Heyward has been a favorite of mine for quite some time. He's got all the tools just like Odrick, but is tougher against the run. His pass tush moves are limited, but if Pepper can make a player out of Wright hr can make a star out of Heyward.

Navy_v_Ohio_6edc.jpg

How about this: the Patriots move up the second round with their 3B, grab Leshoure and another fourth rounder. He's not only a great runner, but also a great receiver. He's no Ingram, but can be the missing piece for the committee.

3A - Morris, Temple, T

rp_primary_Morris_Darius.jpg

ncf_g_boling1_sw_576.jpg

4B - Carpenter, Alabama, T/G

ala-james-carpenterjpg-8e6be736aa54e104_large.jpg

5A - Gilbert, Florida, T/G

GilbertMarcus_091024_9826_TCasey.jpg

My previous mocks all had O-linemen in the top rounds but, looking at the great work Scar has done with low picks, I think it would be better to stockpile on O-linemen (like the 2010 draft tried to do, but with the roster spots to keep the players) and let him decide who are the hits and who are the misses. I see quite some talent on the later rounds by small school prospects (like Ijalana from Villanova) and some guys who could change positions and be NFL-calyber starters (Boling, Carpenter, Gilbert) and, quite frankly, I don't see that much of a talent dropoff from the 1rst rounders to the 4th rounders in this draft - unlike DEs, OLBs, RBs and specially WRs.

6A - Carter, Fresno St, OLB

090610_DOGS.standalone.prod_affiliate.8.JPG

One of the prospects I'm looking forward the most to have on the team. The kid from Fresno St with great motor, pass rush skills and leadership is a great pick with incredible value. I wouldn't mind if he was to be picked in the 4th or 5th, as long as he becomes a Patriot. Man, do I like this prospect.

7A - Marecic, Stanford, FB/LB

Stanford+v+USC+bmm5NfS30bJl.jpg

The tough kid from Stanfors has all Belichick looks for in a player: versatility, intelligence and character. This late in the draft you won't find better value, or such a special player.

Great looking crew, Brother Steve!!

Editor's Note: You'd probably have to go a LOT earlier to get Carter, but you could probably pick up Morris a lot LATER, so it works out!!

1A - OLB Ryan Kerrigan of Purdue.

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-915116224-1286466179.jpg

Appears to have the size and strength, need to see how he runs at the combine. Strong pass rusher, above average against the run, needs work in coverage.

1B - DE Christian Ballard of Iowa.

IowaBallard-thumb-590x360-57724.jpg

Solid in run support, but needs to learn to be effective as a two gap DE.

2A- OG Clint Boling of Georgia.

ncf_g_boling1_sw_576.jpg

Position versatile, flat back run grader with decent pop. Takes Mankins place immiediately if Mankins leaves or Neal's place after a red shirt year.

2B - RB Daniel Thomas of Kansas State.

Kansas-State-running-back-Daniel-Thomas-Credit-Bo-Rader-The-Wichita-Eagle.jpg

Strong runner, can catch and has shown a little blocking ability as well.

3A - SS Mark Barron of Alabama.

LSU+v+Alabama+aJxZWvWhLeFl.jpg

Knows our defense and is an excellent red shirt candidate that can contribute on ST.

3B - OT Lee Ziemba of Auburn.

leeziemba12toddvanjpg-61f3635de2b6ff10_large.jpg

Absolute run masher that can play the right side while Vollmer moves to the left side. Not bad as a pass protector, but not exposed much in our two TE offense.

610x.jpg

3 Grizzlies and a Flanker in the first 3 Rounds!! Looking GOOD, Brother Ochmed!! :D

1A - Floyd/Baldwin/Jones, WR who can all be the next Calvin Johnson.
1B -*Beal, Oklahoma, OLB
3A - Morris, Temple, T
It's too early for me to have names but I like your concept completely. I know we'll make trade but with two 1, two 2, two 3, if we were to keep them I want, not in this order, a WR, RB, OLB, DE, two OL. And you provided that for me, thanks :)

At the end of the day I think we may get Ingram at 1a, I don't think he'll go too high as he's not a freak athletically. We are in desperate need of playmakers on offense, I'd love to get Ingram at 1a, one of the WR you list at 1b then hit OL, DE, OLB with the next four picks. Although I would be happy to wait on RB as you did if the RB class gets deeper as the draft approaches - as of now it seems a little on the weak side and I REALLY want a good RB.

FWIW, Todd McShay has us taking Kerrigan at 1a saying :

Kerrigan is probably higher on our board than on most others, but very few players with his toughness, pass-rushing savvy, nonstop motor and passion for the game fail to contribute in the NFL. Something tells us coach Bill Belichick would find a place for him to fit.

then he has DE Cameron Jordan at 1b.

Kerrigan is probably higher on our board than on most others, but very few players with his toughness, pass-rushing savvy, nonstop motor and passion for the game fail to contribute in the NFL. Something tells us coach Bill Belichick would find a place for him to fit.

The only questions I have are his hips in coverage and his speed. He didn't look great reversing fields or turning the corner last season, I haven't seen enough this season.

Last edited:

I like Jordan a lot, but I am concerned that he is indifferent when playing the run and that will not fly with BB.

I think Kerrigan is exactly what we need on the outside, a guy that can play the run and get pressure on the QB. Consistent pressure on the QB will help our 3rd down defense tremendously.

However if a stud 3-4 DE should suddenly appear, I would bump that player to 1A on my draft board. Unfortunately I do not see any in this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back