PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Top 47 FA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
regardless if he is overrated he has been and will be productive in their system, so i can see them retaining him.

there are alot of hyped players in the league, but i think he lives up to his billing for the most part

I'll disagree with you that he has lived up to his billing because his billing is that he is one of the most dominant pass rushers in the league and he hasn't been that for a while.

I can see why they should keep him since this is a very week free agent class especially at DE (especially after Charles Grant was franchised and Vonnie Holliday was resigned) and the Colts are way too far down in the draft with no second rounder to hope to replace him with a guy who is guaranteed to start. I just don't think he is even the best DE on his team. He was a non-factor for most of this year and the only regular season game he did very well in was against an undrafted rookie free agent starting at LT.

How come? He's a real good player. I bet alot of teams would love to have him.

By the way Bobby Engram got shafted. He's top 47 material and I hope the Pats get him.

wow
everyone seems to always forget about him
which is why im about 90 percent sure hes gonna be a Pat

for some reason, ive always felt like someday he would be wearing a Pats uni, and ive felt that way for a handful of yrs, dont ask me why, just always felt that way when i looked at him, that someday he would be playin for us

anyone else in here kinda wanna see damon huard come back?

btw
im a little saddened to see adalius this high
its true though
damnit, whyd he have to have such a great yr
he would fit in sooooo nicely in our 3-4

I wouldn't mind at all, but I kinda hope he finally gets paid; if Herm were really smart, he'd sign Huard long-term and ship Trent Green to Oakland. [Wait a minute . . . did I just imply that Herm Edwards might actually be smart at all? :D ]

I wanted the Pats to consider taking Curtis last year as a RFA, but the Rams slapped him with a first round tender and that ended that discussion. I have thought for a while that Curtis would be a perfect Patriot. He may be a flavor of the month for others, but he has been a guy I have hoped we picked up for over a year.

By the way, I am not high on Bennett. He seems too big and too slow to be in the Pats' system. They seem to like small, faster guys. Bigger guys don't usually fit into the Pats system (see Doug Gabriel and Donald Hayes).

Thus far, bigger guys have not succeeded in the Pats' system. But open guys do succeed in the Pats' system.

As for Gabriel, I don't know who he pissed off, but I don't think the whole book on that situation was his on-the-field behavior.

We'll see what the Pats think. Since you name a couple of guys at least of Bennett's size that they've tried, I do not think they've identified a tactical reason that big guys "can't" succeed in the Pats' system, and I find it hard to speculate on a "system" in which size is a disadvantage for a receiver.

Speed? Bennett is in the "fast enough" or "deceptively quicker than you thought" range. According to people here, none of the guys we have can ever "stretch the field" anyway, meaning all we really end up with is small slow guys, despite Brady's pretty much undiminished productivity.

Grab Bennett, I say.

PFnV

When it comes down to it, I guess this is a question of whether you want to see Huard or Matt Cassel running out onto the field if (God forbid) something happened to #12.

Much as I'm excited by the potential of Cassel, I'd take Huard because we know he can get it done.

There's something seriously wrong with some of the coaches in this league when the likes of Huard and Matt Schaub are warming the bench while so many crappy QBs are starting.

Thus far, bigger guys have not succeeded in the Pats' system. But open guys do succeed in the Pats' system.

As for Gabriel, I don't know who he pissed off, but I don't think the whole book on that situation was his on-the-field behavior.

We'll see what the Pats think. Since you name a couple of guys at least of Bennett's size that they've tried, I do not think they've identified a tactical reason that big guys "can't" succeed in the Pats' system, and I find it hard to speculate on a "system" in which size is a disadvantage for a receiver.

Speed? Bennett is in the "fast enough" or "deceptively quicker than you thought" range. According to people here, none of the guys we have can ever "stretch the field" anyway, meaning all we really end up with is small slow guys, despite Brady's pretty much undiminished productivity.

Grab Bennett, I say.

PFnV

It has been stated before by even the Patriots that bigger guys do not usually do well in the Pats' system because of the routes they run. They are built for smaller, quicker WRs. That is why the Pats primarily target guys under 6 feet and with speed.

There is a a definite tactical reason why the Pats don't go after big guys. The Pats admitted their mistake with Gabriel (it was reported on Pro Football Weekly that they felt he was too tall to run the routes they want). The Pats like to get rid of the ball quickly and small guys with initial burst are best suited for the routes they run to get open.

As for Bennett, he is a slower WR. He might faster than he looks, but he isn't a quick guy. As I said Pats don't look for blazers, but they want guys with quick bursts of the line of scrimmage. That doesn't describe Bennett.

Bennett could be a good #3 or #4 WR, but I don't think he can start because the Pats don't run the plays that would utilize his skills enough to have him on the field on a full time basis.

Buy the way, I am not one of the guys who think we need a blazer to stretch the field. Neither Givens or Branch were those guys. They were quick, not fast guys with good intial bursts. They were able to get down the field because of their size and intial burst.

Last edited:
bump.gif

Now that the time is drawing near.

Imagine our shock if we woke up in the morning and the Jets had already signed Samuel to a long term deal giving up a first and third. :bricks:

But they don't tamper..............:enranged:

Grab Bennett, I say.

PFnV
I agree. People like to say that big wide receivers don't make it in the Patriots' system, but when did they ever bring in a quality guy?

Donald Hayes wasn't that great. I believe he didn't even get signed by another NFL team after failing here and is now in the CFL. Doug Gabriel had a little more promise and talent, but clearly he just didn't have the right attitude and/or work ethic.

So I think a guy with the skills of Drew Bennett could succeed here, and his size would definitely end up a plus rather than a minus, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call