PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Too many receivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Based on what? While I agree he doesn't have a place on this team in my eyes and he's not a first ballot hall of famer yet, he's only just finished what is essentially his rookie season. We have too much depth for him to surpass and he isn't a precise route runner (yet?) like our current offense is based off of.

None of this means that he can't become another teams #1 or #2. He has the talent, he just isn't suited for our style of offense the way I see it. It also probably wouldn't hurt him going to a team where he can get on the field without having to sit behind players like Moss, Welker, Branch, and Ochocinco when your team is leaning towards 2WR sets more often than not because you just drafted 2 incredibly talented young TE's.

This is where we disagree. I just dont think he is very good. he may be a solid KR'er, but I dont see the WR skills in him. He's just too stiff. he looks border line awkward trying to run routes.

I personally like Tate but I feel like Brady doesn't like him. I get the feeling that he'll shine with the other qbs in the preseason. Also, Tate should get more end arounds per game. He gets like 5 yards minimum every time.

After seeing Price in the Miami game I have to say I think he will surpass Tate and it might come down to a numbers game to see if Tate makes it this year.

Last edited:
As for Tate's 40 yard dash. There is a big difference between running in work out attire and with full pads. If BB plans to only keep him around just as a KR that would be foolish considering we have Connolly:)

This is where we disagree. I just dont think he is very good. he may be a solid KR'er, but I dont see the WR skills in him. He's just too stiff. he looks border line awkward trying to run routes.

I would argue that your thought one whether or not hes any good, based on less than a full season of playing time, behind Welker and Branch, and a pair of good tight ends, is pretty much worthless.

I would argue that your thought one whether or not hes any good, based on less than a full season of playing time, behind Welker and Branch, and a pair of good tight ends, is pretty much worthless.

And I would argue that you thinking he is any good despite having zero evidence suggesting otherwise is homerish (at best).

Where did you stand on the Maroney thing? Just curious.

And I would argue that you thinking he is any good despite having zero evidence suggesting otherwise is homerish (at best).

Where did you stand on the Maroney thing? Just curious.

I didn't say Tate was good. I think we don't have enough data to evaluate him. I'm not arrogant enough to assume I have talents as a scout.

Nice straw-man, btw.

Last edited:
I didn't say Tate was good. I think we don't have enough data to evaluate him. I'm not arrogant enough to assume I have talents as a scout. Nice straw-man, btw.

Problem solved.

I am. :)

Tate will never be anything special as a WR in this league. You will remember me when this comes to fruition. Which, it will.

Problem solved.

I am. :)

Tate will never be anything special as a WR in this league. You will remember me when this comes to fruition. Which, it will.

So, which team do you work for? you could be a great resource to this forum.

So, which team do you work for? you could be a great resource to this forum.

Oh...I see. Now we have to work for an NFL team to be of the opinion that a player sucks.

Makes sense.

Hard to fathom (I know) but it's alright to have an opinion on a player based on what you see. I know lots of my fellow Patsfans don’t understand this concept, but it's true.

Oh...I see. Now we have to work for an NFL team to be of the opinion that a player sucks.

Makes sense.

Hard to fathom (I know) but it's alright to have an opinion on a player based on what you see. I know lots of my fellow Patsfans don’t understand this concept, but it's true.

No, you can have opinions all you want.

To state that a player "is too stiff" or "runs awkward routes" you have to, you know, actually have reasonable amounts of tape of the player, and have a trained eye for looking at such things. If you don't work for a team, you don't have reasonable amounts of tape. Ie, you're just guessing at **** from bad TV angles.

You're making definitive statements about a rookie WR who you've seen on maybe 45 plays, most of which he wasn't even on screen for 2/3 of the play. Thats the height of ignorance.

No, you can have opinions all you want.

To state that a player "is too stiff" or "runs awkward routes" you have to, you know, actually have reasonable amounts of tape of the player, and have a trained eye for looking at such things. If you don't work for a team, you don't have reasonable amounts of tape. Ie, you're just guessing at **** from bad TV angles.

You're making definitive statements about a rookie WR who you've seen on maybe 45 plays, most of which he wasn't even on screen for 2/3 of the play. Thats the height of ignorance.

I can go to a pop warner game and pick out the stiff kids from the fluid kids in about 10 mins. So could you. It's really not that technical. Seriously.

Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, Brandon Tate - STIFF

Chad Johnson, Troy Brown, David Givens - FLUID

Is it really that hard for you to see? (Im not mocking, serious question).

I can go to a pop warner game and pick out the stiff kids from the fluid kids in about 10 mins. So could you. It's really not that technical. Seriously.

There's a difference between picking out the stiff kids in pop warner, and picking them out when every single one of them was a standout athlete in a D1 school. And you don't actually get to watch them run routes because the camera is focussed on QB McDreamy.

Right, you can tell if an athlete is fluid enough to play WR in the NFL. Belichick can't of course--that's why he keeps drafting stiffs in the second and third round--but it's easy for you.

PS. I always thought Chad Jackson was a remarkably fluid athlete, and Givens was not that fluid. I think you're confusing "players who had good careers" with fluid.

I think the people reading your posts can tell a stiff poster when they read one. Not mocking, there's just no fluidity to them. Ya, know?

I think the people reading your posts can tell a stiff poster when they read one. Not mocking, there's just no fluidity to them. Ya, know?

tx for your input, boss.

Right, you can tell if an athlete is fluid enough to play WR in the NFL. Belichick can't of course--that's why he keeps drafting stiffs in the second and third round--but it's easy for you.

I wouldnt argue with this. I think BB struggles with evaluating WR talent in the draft.

So what? Nobody is perfect.

PS. I always thought Chad Jackson was a remarkably fluid athlete, and Givens was not that fluid. I think you're confusing "players who had good careers" with fluid.

Exactly. He's using "fluid" as a placeholder for "in hindsight, they were pretty good" and "stiff" for "in hindsight, they weren't very good".

Its typical armchair GM crap. If he could evaluate talent as well as he thinks he can, he'd be making $3M a year running a team.

I'll just say this, Price has been showing up in the TC notes and Tate has not. Somebody is making the most of this camp and it doesn't appear that person's last name is Tate.

All this talk about "stiffies" is getting me......never mind.:nono:

I'll just say this, Price has been showing up in the TC notes and Tate has not. Somebody is making the most of this camp and it doesn't appear that person's last name is Tate.

Meh, it doesn't really mean much. Last year it was Tate who was showing up in the notes with great catches, touchdowns, whatever. Price could breakout, or he could be the next victim of the brutal TC hype machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents