PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Too many receivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That 4.52 was about 5 months after tearing both his ACL and MCL in his right knee. He's faster now.

That 4.52 was about 5 months after tearing both his ACL and MCL in his right knee. He's faster now.

I looked into this a while ago and I'm not even sure the 4.52 ever happened--all of the campus reports say he didn't run the 40 yard dash. (I can't find those right now).

The only reliable time I found for him is a 4.53 when he was a junior in high school. Brandon Tate - Charlottesville NIKE Training Camp

Not a fan of Tate or Price. I'd love to see them cut both and bring in a guy like Steve Smith (NYG).

Not a fan of Tate or Price. I'd love to see them cut both and bring in a guy like Steve Smith (NYG).

I can understand Tate, but why Price? Tate has disappointed yes, but Price hasn't been given a chance.

Slater is most likely out unless he shows some serious ST play during camp. The next two would be Edelman or Tate. Edelman does lose some value if the Pats carry 3 QBs because he was the "3rd" QB but I would guess that Tate would be in the same camp as Slater...show something or your gone.

I could see the team keeping 6 WRs if Tate and Edelman both continue to show value on special teams.

I can understand Tate, but why Price? Tate has disappointed yes, but Price hasn't been given a chance.

But why has he not been given a chance? I don't know the answer, but perhaps it was because he dissapointed in practices, or couldn't get in sync with Brady, or maybe he hired Mrs. Ryan for a night of footsie. Who knows, but there is a reason he hasn't stepped up.

But why has he not been given a chance? I don't know the answer, but perhaps it was because he dissapointed in practices, or couldn't get in sync with Brady, or maybe he hired Mrs. Ryan for a night of footsie. Who knows, but there is a reason he hasn't stepped up.

Thats just it, as FANS we don't know that, what we do know is that Tate has not lived up to his projected role, while Price may have just been a casualty of a crowded and experienced roster while learning the system (don't forget he missed a lot of early practices last year because of his late graduation date).

Maybe. Tate's pro day was actually one week from the 6 month anniversary of his surgery. Tate's injury was a serious one tearing both his ACL and his MCL. The pro day run of 4.52 was also on a very fast surface. For Example: Quinn ran the 40 in 4.70 at the combine but 4.56 at his pro day at North Carolina this year.

While it is likely that Tate has regained some speed, his is not a true burner.

Comparatively Taylor Price ran a campus 4.26 ( handheld) and 4.33 ( electronic ) 40 yard dash last year.

I havent seen enough of Price to make a call on him either way. But Tate (IMO) just isnt very good. He is too stiff in the hips.

It's going to be interesting to see what S.Smith gets on the FA market. That kid has all the right tools to thrive in our offense.

Tate just finished what was essentially his rookie year. He hasn't been a dissapointment at all. Very few receivers do anything other than suck as rookies.

Too many 'average' receivers if you want to be blunt.

I'm fine with Welker, Branch and Johnson as our primary 3 wider receivers, along with Hernandez, Gronkowksi and Woodhead.

THE FUNCTION OF ADDITIONAL RECEIVERS (4th, 5th, 6th)

If there are no injuries, they will almost never be on the field. Even in 5-receiver sets, 2 of Gronk, Woodhead and Hernandez are likely to be on the field.

ROLE ONE: backup in case of injury
ROLE TWO: kick returner
ROLE THREE: punt returner
ROLE FOUR: developmental player
ROLE FIVE: Top special teamer

I expect that an injury will make the decision for us before the final cut.

Last edited:
ROLE FOUR: Nobody talks about role four

First off......Price,Slater and Kyle Arrington are all faster than Tate...probably Darius Butler,too.

That being aside.....I like Tate as a WR.I don't know why Brady didn't work with him more.He had a couple of drops.....which has suddenly snowballed into many,many dropped balls.Anybody remember that he made 3 really extraordinary catches?.....didn't think so.My main gripe with him is that he leaves his feet on almost every catch....bad habit and a sign of a receiver who doesn't have confidence in his hands.

So...I think Tate will go,replaced by Chad.Branch stays for his versatility and comfort level with Brady.He's also the "motion" receiver,which Chad can't do and neither can Tate.

Price has to stay.....too much speed...plenty of time to work him into the rotation.Edelperson is a mad-dog baller,gotta find a way to keep him.This guy could become the best punt returner in the AFC.I wouldn't sell out that kid Jenkins,either.He could be this years darkhorse.

First off......Price,Slater and Kyle Arrington are all faster than Tate...probably Darius Butler,too.

That being aside.....I like Tate as a WR.I don't know why Brady didn't work with him more.He had a couple of drops.....which has suddenly snowballed into many,many dropped balls.Anybody remember that he made 3 really extraordinary catches?.....didn't think so.My main gripe with him is that he leaves his feet on almost every catch....bad habit and a sign of a receiver who doesn't have confidence in his hands.

So...I think Tate will go,replaced by Chad.Branch stays for his versatility and comfort level with Brady.He's also the "motion" receiver,which Chad can't do and neither can Tate.

Price has to stay.....too much speed...plenty of time to work him into the rotation.Edelperson is a mad-dog baller,gotta find a way to keep him.This guy could become the best punt returner in the AFC.I wouldn't sell out that kid Jenkins,either.He could be this years darkhorse.

He isn't the downfield threat everybody was hoping for, he can't create separation. If he makes the roster I'd still rather give his reps to Price and see what he can do. Tate had his chance, we can't redshirt Price for his sophmore season too.

If 3 great catches are all you need to make this team than we might be in trouble.

I'm fine with Welker, Branch and Johnson as our primary 3 wider receivers, along with Hernandez, Gronkowksi and Woodhead.

Couple of issues:

1) There will likely only be 4 WR active with Hernandez, Vereen and Woodhead able to split wide in a pinch. Ocho and Branch fill essentially the same role with a limited ability to attack the deep post and fly routes.

2) Tate and Edelperson have key roles on special teams. Both are top 5 return guys now and are young enough that they could still improve significantly.

3) Speaking of age...Tate and Price haven't turned 24 yet, so they are still "draft pick" young. Edelperson is 25 which is nice in case those guys need to rent a car. Youngsters need a couple of things...meaningful practice reps and increasing game reps. If you are unwilling or unable to commit to this at a position, don't draft at that position.

4) I'll take "Why can't the Pats find someone like Mike Wallace?" for $200, Alex.

The answer is "When I was 23, I had two games with more than 3 catches and two games with over 80 yards receiving."

*****DING******

Who is Mike Wallace?

Correct. We would also have accepted "Who is Brandon Tate?"

I expect that an injury will make the decision for us before the final cut.

It always seems to in these types of situations. In the odd case where everyone survives the preseason intact, the above evidence leads me to believe that Branch has to move. Redundant skill set, $2M cap charge, contract up in 2011. Makes more sense than the others unless someone coughs up a hairball in the preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back