PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase provides his explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: *****Alert: The Tomase Explanation Is Now Up

Interesting contrast. Mike Reiss is burning the midnight oil also - his blog post referencing the Tomase 'mea culpa' is time stamped 12:20am. That's our Mike - right there keeping us up-to-date on all things Patriot. :)

John Tomase handled that with grace and honesty. Those of you who don't see this are truly limited in perspective and maturity. The fact that no one here is absolutely F-ing KILLING this guy's editor - far, FAR more culpable, but some of you are apparently much too simple-minded and uneducated to realize that - is a JOKE.

Grow up, people. The guy just gave a way more exhaustive explanation of what happened than you overreachers ever had any right to expect. He sacked up and took, and will take, whatever's coming to him. This kind of crap thread is exactly what's wrong not just with the site, but with the freakin' country.

Go listen to Rush and Hannity, and leave the rest of us in peace.

I guess you really won't like my post, then. Sorry. I for one see zero contrition or sincerity in his apology. I think that others are culpable, as well, but I see no grace or honesty here. Just excuse making and BS. I really don't think it has anything to do with poitical affiliation, either. I don't like Rush the man or Rush the band.

(Edit) And "the rest of us"? I think that's just you. Not that there's anything at all wrong with that or in having a sole opinion. But I haven't noticed anyone else defending him like you do.

(I'm not trying to fight with you here.)

Last edited:

I didn't see one "I'm sorry" to the team and players for all the BS he caused for them, even the night before the SB. Revolting and shameful.
His statement shouldn't even be called "How it went wrong". Usage of the passive voice can be (and is here, I think) an attempt to distance oneself from the deed. It should be called "How I did wrong", because that is actually what happened. "Mistakes" are things like bumping your mother's favorite vase off the table and breaking it because you aren't paying attention to the fact you are too close. What he did wasn't a "mistake", it was lying. That's what it's called in my book when you make a statement in print that is supposed to be taken as the truth when you have absolutely NO real proof of it. I'll tell you this, if I were a Patriots player or coach or anyone else associated with the team it would be a cold day in effing hell before I would ever speak to him again for any article. Always and only a polite, firm and never ending "NO COMMENT" would be my response, that is all.

Last edited:

first his apology too little to late for me...

second I dont know how , he is ever going to gain the trust of the patriots again, that would be very hard to do...

third while I agree people are human , and make mistakes, this one hurt a lot of people, its just not good enough for me..

Fourth- You have to be very naive that Walsh was not the source of this, if he was not why wait till now for the apology...

Bottom line- He should not be on the Pats beat , because he has lost a lot of credablity with me and other fans..

I think he should be reasigned, but as of now I dont see it happening, and I dont envy him trying to ask a question to Richard Seymoer, or Bill Belichick...
if he still on the Pats beat

Last edited:

Also again this apology is not going to take away from the low feelings us fans had before and after the super bowl. We had to spend time defending the team, imagine the team defending itself on a day before a big game.. Again, not the sole reason we lost, but as stories come out, there had to be somewhat of a factor..

Also you know what this story took away from, Andre Tippet's HOF , induction , some people forgot he got elected to the HOF that day..

Again if the Herald wants to win the Pats , and our trust back, I dont see any alternative than to remove John Tomosse of the Pats beat...I believe in second chances, but I think even Tomosse was quoted, Rodney even questioned him one time about a story, and put himself in his shoes... I believe the Pats and the Herald have to agree to that, if its not been already agreed upon..So that there will be no lawsuit..

come on guys lets cut the guy a little slack. Everyone deserves a second chance, it was a mistake that only cost us the SB and greatest team ever title. Sometimes we all need to dig deep down and forgive, thats what Jesus would do. I for one forgive him.

As Corey Taylor sings in the new Apocalyptica song.

"I'm not Jesus, I will not forgive".

And yes I do know you didn't really mean we should forgive him.

Honestly, I don't know what the Hell you people are reading. It's not an apology??? He threw himself on his sword OVER and OVER and OVER. He walked you through what HE DID WRONG and took responsibility for it. ************.

IT WAS NOT AN APOLOGY AT ALL...An apology sounds humble and sad for what happened. He sounds like he believes the only thing he did wrong was GET CAUGHT.

I thought it was a very weak attempt to explain his actions and did not feel as though he took a lot of responsibility for what he did.. it is almost as though he had to do something..

Felt for the past couple of days that this is all being done to avoid a lawsuit, and perhaps the Krafts legal people forced the Herald to do the front page thing and now this as part of reparations for the Herald and their agregious transgressions.

DON'T LET THE HERALD MANAGEMENT OFF THE HOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Tomase screwed up immensely.

However, many more VETERAN editors gave it their approval at the Herald. The Management stood behind this story for 3+ months.

This was orchestrated by a corporation, folks. Don't just aim your indignation at the footsoldier. Very smart, older and more powerful people were behind this all the way at the Boston Herald.

Don't lose sight of the Powers That Be in this situation (believe me, they are hoping you do, and that you focus all on Tomase).
When a gambit fails, you lose a pawn. Tomasse is that pawn.

meh...load of crap. I can't believe it took this long to come up with an 'explanation' completely lacking credibility. I'm thinking preponderance of evidence favors the Krafts. Maybe the Herald will be a better paper when Bill and Scott are handling day to day operations?

I guess you really won't like my post, then. Sorry. I for one see zero contrition or sincerity in his apology. I think that others are culpable, as well, but I see no grace or honesty here. Just excuse making and BS. I really don't think it has anything to do with poitical affiliation, either. I don't like Rush the man or Rush the band.

(Edit) And "the rest of us"? I think that's just you. Not that there's anything at all wrong with that or in having a sole opinion. But I haven't noticed anyone else defending him like you do.

(I'm not trying to fight with you here.)

Ditto here, Patjew. I skimmed through the comments after and most of then became redundant. There was a particular one that stood out and sums up my feelings on it as well:

"No personal attack here, but I doubt you will find much solace in my comments. You rushed to print so you wouldn't be beat by the New York Times? So, your ego and quest for fame trumped journalistic integrity. You wanted a "scoop" so you ran with hearsay. Congratulations, you received the spotlight you so desperately wanted. Ironic, isn't it? This isn't a story about a team. It's about an immature reporter, desperate to make a name for himself at any cost. The cost wasn't a football game; the Patriots lost that game, not you. The cost was your integrity. You placed your ego/personal need for validation above the story. Long road back? You have no idea".

-anonymous Herald blogger

His explanation is much weaker than I expected. Zero facts, all rumors....pathetic. I was on the fence before, but now, the Herald needs to fire all involved. Absolutely pathetic.

So he wont SELL OUT his source, but he'll SELL OUT the team he actually covers and its fans????? ONE DAY before the Superbowl?? Shameless. Absolutely shameless!! Forgive my ignorance. If its a journalistic sin to do one, how is it any less to do the other?

You sell out your source, youre done. You sell out the team and its fans, youre done! at least in that city with that team and those fans. This guy really needs to move on. This situation is beyond repair.

There are NO sources!! There never were!!
Tomase should be fired or resign but the world of American journalism in 2008 has little integrity and even less professional standards as we've seen with this made up pack of lies.
A pathetic crash and burn today by John Tomase.
Scott Zolak says he's "dead man walking" in the Patriots room. Well guess what, his fellow slimey scribes may embrace him but for this fan John Tomase does not exist and from this day forward I will never buy the Herald (haven't in years it's a tabloid rag) and more importantly I will never access their website. There is NOBODY worth reading at the Herald - the National Enquirer of Boston.

Well, my suspicions all along have been confirmed. I never thought Walsh was the source of Tomase's article and that he just printed the rumor that most of the media has heard and attributed it to sources. He has basically said that since a trusted source relayed the rumor to him, he felt that rose to the level of credible evidence.

Based on his explaination, I am more disapointed and upset with him. To put out a story like this where he basically determined it true because Walsh was outed and Tomase knew he was probably at the walkthrough and it validated the rumor in his mind is inexcusable. To report a rumor as fact because you connect some dots, but have no confirmation is just as bad as what Borges and Barnacle got fired for.

With a story this huge, Tomase should have be far more sure of the facts than he was. I feel his explaination does himself more of a diservice than mend and bridges that he hopes to get with Patriots fans.

Yup. It's just a long-winded "I was greedy and knew better and am now sorry because I've been painted into a corner and outed." Had Walsh kept silent this "explanation/apology" never would have happened and the Herald would have "stood by its story." The only proper response would have been Tomase's firing or resignation. What happens the next time temptation rears its head or the tabloid's sleazy editors want to make a sensationalistic splash? Tomase's credibility is toast, as is the Herald's.

Now that we have his excuses (pretty lame ones), his "sources" for the story (rumors mostly) and his reasons (didn't want the Times to steal his chance to be a big man) I'm wondering if his apology is coming because it isn't in that article.

Last edited:

892cap012.jpg

John Tomase handled that with grace and honesty. Those of you who don't see this are truly limited in perspective and maturity. The fact that no one here is absolutely F-ing KILLING this guy's editor - far, FAR more culpable, but some of you are apparently much too simple-minded and uneducated to realize that - is a JOKE.

Grow up, people. The guy just gave a way more exhaustive explanation of what happened than you overreachers ever had any right to expect. He sacked up and took, and will take, whatever's coming to him. This kind of crap thread is exactly what's wrong not just with the site, but with the freakin' country.

Go listen to Rush and Hannity, and leave the rest of us in peace.

The story started with Tomase. Yes, his editors were complicit but none should be forgiven. Journalists simply don't do things like this and keep their jobs. I was a newspaper reporter for 17 years and know what I'm talking about. You can buy into the Herald's nonsense if you wish, but as one of its enablers you'd be doing yourself a gross disservice.

Last edited:

I changed my mind. After reading his explanantion, I don't think he should be fired. I think he should go to prison.

Tomase is clearly a sociopath (although I am beginning to believe sports media is now a safe haven for too many of them).

I changed my mind. After reading his explanantion, I don't think he should be fired. I think he should go to prison.

I feel the same way. He should at least be sued. He admits he concocted a story he couldn't verify based on rumors that went back a year so he could break it on the worst possible day to distract his hometown team.

I said before there's no lawsuit, but that's malice and that's intention. I'm not a lawyer but.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News