PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tomase provides his explanation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: *****Alert: The Tomase Explanation Is Now Up

Great breakdown, Hardboiled. You're exactly right about the readers wanting the story on the Pats, not him. I feel embarrassed for him that he actually thinks people read his stories bc of him. What an idiot. And an egomaniac. WTF!

My comment posted there:
"I let you all down." YES
"Today I hope to begin the long road back." We'd prefer you just left.

Then I receive:
THANKS FOR COMMENTING
Depending on the blogger, your comment may or may not go live right away. We want to keep the troublemakers at bay, so this blogger may choose to look over the comments he or she receives before posting them. Just trying to keep the discourse civil.

Don't worry; the fact that you're getting this message means that we received your comment, so there's no need to submit it again.

Thanks for taking part.

How much you want to bet my comment never gets posted? :D

John Tomase.... I hope you are reading this thread to see what the reaction is....

I WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU.

Pretty much every who visits this site is passionate about the Boston sports scene and especially the New England Patriots. We are the pathetic, repressed middle aged men (and women) who wear our Tedy Bruschi and Tom Brady jerseys on Sunday as your colleague Tony Massarotti described us.

The Patriots were caught and punished for video taping the New York Jets during Week 1. You waited until the day before Super Bowl XLII to commit libel against the team that you covered based on hearsay?

Your column not only opened the floodgates for more criticism of the New England Patriots the day before SB42, the day of SB42, and the days following SB42, but it also gave a Congressman a reason to further tarnish the reputation of the New England Patriots based on your bogus column.

The constant criticism of the New England Patriots and the questioning of their integrity not only made it difficult for me to enjoy what should have been a football fan's dream season, but it was one of the reasons why I decided to give up my season tickets to the New England Patriots.

Your apology is too little and way too late. Your column has not only caused excessive damage to the reputation of the New England Patriots, but you have also damaged my ability to enjoy what I considered my escape from my pathetic, repressed middle-aged life.

EDIT: Comments posted on the Herald site too.

Last edited:

"One that I trust said he had been told the walkthrough was taped. A second said he had been told the same thing, but neither had seen a tape."

Folks, that is NOT what he wrote in the infamous February 2 piece!!!!!!!!!!!

Here it is:

"According to a source, a member of the team’s video department filmed the Rams’ final walkthrough before that 2002 game"

He should have written 'A source WAS TOLD that a member of the team’s video department filmed the Rams’ final walkthrough before that 2002 game'.

So he DID put an untruthful FURTHER twist to what his source told him. The source NEVER told him that it existed, merely that he/she WAS TOLD that it existed. That is NOT the way he wrote that piece.

BTW, Hardboiled is exactly right. Tomase never had any SOURCES. A "source" is not someone who has heard something along the grapevine. A "source" is someone who is a participant or who has SEEN proof of something.

Last edited:

Screw you thomase you made a mockery of this strong proud decent organization.
With every stroke of your fat greedy fingers on a keyboard you threw dart after dart to the beating heart of the greatest team to every grace a football field.
You built doubt in the newly founded Players on the team.
As well as lit a fire under the NY Giants buts!
There cheaters let's teach them a lesson and they sure frickin did.
You need to be ousted from journalism sued and maybe you'll find a career as a private Investigator the way you nancy drewed and hardy boy'd the whole conspiracy and turned a nation against us.
It was all becoming a distant memory till you attempted to have a big break you greedy slimey no good piece of crap.
The team i've loved since a young boy is now mocked and a genius of a coach is ridiculed here in my home town cause of you and Arlens insane obsession.
It gets to the point where when i wear the team gear I hear at least 5 smart comments a day from Brain dead douche bags as yourself and the rest of the pirannahs known as the media.
Your apology is a joke you don't regret releasing it before the superbowl.
That's like someone showing a video of you topless doing jumping jacks to your graduating class before you accept your diploma you dirty weasel.
Because of you I hate turning on espn and picking up a damn sports paper here because of a witch hunt a fire you sparked with your stupid ambitions your terrible logic and your horrible judgement and your abrupt timing.
I hope you do out your source and you know what if their a part of the jet's org.
Or Marshall Faulk or frickin Mark Schlerth then you are a idiot!
You know what I think you have no Source and Manjudas got you a frickin year supply of krispy kreme to run this article and ruin our once in a lifetime super sunday.
Now go get your frickin shinebox!

This is a three page excuse.

The ONLY honorable move from here would be for him to resign at once.

I think we've established the fact John Tomase has no honor.

He is a disgrace.

You know, before reading this article, I assumed he DID have a source (albeit a very bad one). Now that he has admitted his "source" never claimed to have seen a tape or to have any first person knowledge of it - - that he/she merely "heard of it" - - well, this changes everything.

Especially to the Lawyers of the New England Patriots. Consider that the Management of the Boston Herald proceeded after 9pm on the eve of SB 42 knowing full well from their writer that there was no direct source for this story.

For a veteran editor/newspaper manager, that is either MALPRACTICE or MALICE. They KNEW there was no direct source.

DON'T LET THE HERALD MANAGEMENT OFF THE HOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Tomase screwed up immensely.

However, many more VETERAN editors gave it their approval at the Herald. The Management stood behind this story for 3+ months.

This was orchestrated by a corporation, folks. Don't just aim your indignation at the footsoldier. Very smart, older and more powerful people were behind this all the way at the Boston Herald.

Don't lose sight of the Powers That Be in this situation (believe me, they are hoping you do, and that you focus all on Tomase).

I went down that path in my own decison making process earlier this week. Tomase did himself no favors in that regard with this mea culpa. His account makes it sound as if he was pushing VERY hard to get the story in. He is the reporter. In many cases his editors are making decisions based on information HE is feeding them. Sounds like he was a good salesman.

Last edited by a moderator:

This was my favorite from the first 3 pages of comments in the first 10 minutes:

"No personal attack here, but I doubt you will find much solace in my comments. You rushed to print so you wouldn't be beat by the New York Times? So, your ego and quest for fame trumped journalistic integrity. You wanted a "scoop" so you ran with hearsay. Congratulations, you received the spotlight you so desperately wanted. Ironic, isn't it? This isn't a story about a team. It's about an immature reporter, desperate to make a name for himself at any cost. The cost wasn't a football game; the Patriots lost that game, not you. The cost was your integrity. You placed your ego/personal need for validation above the story. Long road back? You have no idea."

Yup, John has already forgiven himself for making an oops, my bad...and he is naturally assuming as soon as we all appreciate the spot he was in, potential to lose a big boy scoop that was never his to begin with though he was too immature and self absorbed to grasp that, we will all begin to heal with him. And Maz claims we're the morons...

This turd got abused by his senior peers who shared an urban myth of the walkthrough tape with the new tub of goo on the block never imagining he would commit career suicide in an attempt to prove it was anything more than just another readily embraced reason for the disinfranchised local football mediots to blame Bill for their dysfunctional relationship.

I guarantee you the source he trusted most was Felger. I would not doubt there was another source who confirmed some key details like the presence of a Pat's video crew at the walkthrough who reside in the bowels of Gillette. This was all media sourcing generated. He never had more than the guys at the water cooler.

That he fully expects to get a do over merely underscores why he must not.

Holley said today that while guys do get fired it's different when they are home grown. After all, this is John's home - how can you tell him to get out? Well, that it was his home didn't seem to concern him when he made his decision to run with the story. So if as a result he ends up having to move to Peoria is not my concern nor should it be part of the equation. This is my home and I don't want him livin' here anymore.

So he wont SELL OUT his source, but he'll SELL OUT the team he actually covers and its fans????? ONE DAY before the Superbowl?? Shameless. Absolutely shameless!! Forgive my ignorance. If its a journalistic sin to do one, how is it any less to do the other?

You sell out your source, youre done. You sell out the team and its fans, youre done! at least in that city with that team and those fans. This guy really needs to move on. This situation is beyond repair.

I went down that path in my own decison making process earlier this week. Tomase did himself no favors in that regard with this mea culpa. His account makes it sound as if he was pushing VERY hard to get the story in. He is the reporter. In many cases his editors are making decisions based on information HE is feeding them. Sounds like he was a good salesman.

I disagree. Writers write and Editors edit.

This kid has a long history of being a loose canon. The senior management knew full well what they have on their hands with John Tomase.

The Generals are trying to get away with having only the Corporals walk the plank.

Don't forget, it WASN'T Tomase who wrote or green-lighted the Masserotti column yesterday. It wasn't Tomase who blared the headline "Not So Fast, Pats" on the FRONT PAGE yesterday.

He screwed up badly and should pay the consequences, but realize that the senior management of the Herald is fully behind this and are not green kids.

Last edited:

This was my favorite from the first 3 pages of comments in the first 10 minutes:

"No personal attack here, but I doubt you will find much solace in my comments. You rushed to print so you wouldn't be beat by the New York Times? So, your ego and quest for fame trumped journalistic integrity. You wanted a "scoop" so you ran with hearsay. Congratulations, you received the spotlight you so desperately wanted. Ironic, isn't it? This isn't a story about a team. It's about an immature reporter, desperate to make a name for himself at any cost. The cost wasn't a football game; the Patriots lost that game, not you. The cost was your integrity. You placed your ego/personal need for validation above the story. Long road back? You have no idea."

Yup, John has already forgiven himself for making an oops, my bad...and he is naturally assuming as soon as we all appreciate the spot he was in, potential to lose a big boy scoop that was never his to begin with though he was too immature and self absorbed to grasp that, we will all begin to heal with him. And Maz claims we're the morons...

This turd got abused by his senior peers who shared an urban myth of the walkthrough tape with the new tub of goo on the block never imagining he would commit career suicide in an attempt to prove it was anything more than just another readily embraced reason for the disinfranchised local football mediots to blame Bill for their dysfunctional relationship.

I guarantee you the source he trusted most was Felger. I would not doubt there was another source who confirmed some key details like the presence of a Pat's video crew at the walkthrough who reside in the bowels of Gillette. This was all media sourcing generated. He never had more than the guys at the water cooler.

That he fully expects to get a do over merely underscores why he must not.

Holley said today that while guys do get fired it's different when they are home grown. After all, this is John's home - how can you tell him to get out? Well, that it was his home didn't seem to concern him when he made his decision to run with the story. So if as a result he ends up having to move to Peoria is not my concern nor should it be part of the equation. This is my home and I don't want him livin' here anymore.

I think it speaks volumes about what kind of person he is that he has the balls to go on, but lets not confuse courage with honor. He has no honor.

While he may try to go on, I suspect life at Gillette is going to be mighty rough for ol John Boy for a long, long time to come. I sure as **** wouldn't want to be in his shoes that first day of training camp. That's not enough punishment in my eyes, but it's DAMN CLOSE.

I disagree. Writers write and Editors edit.

This kid has a long history of being a loose canon. The senior management knew full well what they have on their hands with John Tomase.

The Generals are trying to get away with having only the Corporals walk the plank.

Don't forget, it WASN'T Tomase who wrote or green-lighted the Masserotti column yesterday. It wasn't Tomase who blared the headline "Not So Fast, Pats" on the FRONT PAGE yesterday.

He screwed up badly and should pay the consequences, but realize that the senior management of the Herald is fully behind this and are not green kids.

You're absolutely right. But being in the same business as this **** bag, I know how the process works. It is highly unlikely any of his editors would have been talking to his sources directly. It would have been impossible for them to gauge their validity without input from Tomase. So you're left with decision makers who are making decisions based on what he is telling them.

That's always dangerous, and a disaster in this case. I've seen stories like this go south many times precisely because the reporter is selling a bigger story than he really has. It's an instinct that you sometimes have to fight off because the urge is to get it out front, beat the other guy and keep your bosses happy.

I agree, the editorial chain at the Herald (and not just sports) have some serious culpability, but unfortunately **** doesn't often flow uphill, even at newspapers.

He should reveal his source. His career is over. No one is talking to him moving forward either way.

There were no sources. There is nothing to reveal.

That's why his going on about keeping is sources private is just one of the misdirections of the article.

Tomase.jpg

Looks less like an apology and more like O.J. Simpson trying to sell a book.

ojbook1.gif

Last edited:

I was looking for the words "I'm Sorry" but didn't see them.

This was no apology, just an explanation.

when you are the personification of SORRY, saying you're sorry is redundant

You're absolutely right. But being in the same business as this **** bag, I know how the process works. It is highly unlikely any of his editors would have been talking to his sources directly. It would have been impossible for them to gauge their validity without input from Tomase. So you're left with decision makers who are making decisions based on what he is telling them.

That's always dangerous, and a disaster in this case. I've seen stories like this go south many times precisely because the reporter is selling a bigger story than he really has. It's an instinct that you sometimes have to fight off because the urge is to get it out front, beat the other guy and keep your bosses happy.

I agree, the editorial chain at the Herald (and not just sports) have some serious culpability, but unfortunately **** doesn't often flow uphill, even at newspapers.

Ben Bradlee did not allow Woodward and Bernstein to proceed any further after an earlier detour until they revealed Mark Felt to him as being Deep Throat.

That is what an Editor does on a big story.

Jonathan Kraft said on the radio yesterday that the Patriots Lawyers called the Herald on that Saturday night and made it quite clear what the legal stakes were. His exact words were "It should never have been PUBLISHED". Note, he didn't say "WRITTEN".

Last edited:

Ben Bradlee did not allow Woodward and Bernstein to proceed any further after an earlier detoutr until they revealed Mark Felt to him as being Deep Throat.

That is an Editor's job on a big story.

Jonathan Kraft said on the radio yesterday that the Patriots Lawyers called the Herald Management on that Saturday night and made it quite clear what the legal stakes were.

Point taken. But I think we can establish your Woodward/Bernstein/Bradlee reference doesn't fit here. Those people were legends, these people are morons.

And as important as this story was, it doesn't come close to amounting to Watergate and the downfall of a US President that altered this country's history.

Like I said, ultimately it was his bosses call to run the story but it is without question that their decision making process was heavily influenced by the information he was feeding them.

I'd also bet he told his editors who his sources were, even if they were guaranteed anonymity in the paper. He would have to give his bosses background on them, what their credentials were, etc. to get them to go with an un-named source. That's pretty basic stuff, then again this is the Herald so who knows.

Last edited:

Point taken. But I think we can establish your Woodward/Bernstein/Bradlee reference doesn't fit here. Those people were legends, these people are morons.

Woodward and Bernstein were nobodies covering the Silver Spring Flower Festival in 1972. They were on the Watergate Break In story from the beginning because it was such an insignificant event (at the initial blush).

Believe it or not, John Tomase was a MUCH bigger deal than either of those two guys on the eve of SB 42.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back