PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran: Sources made 'clear to me' decision to move on from Belichick made after Germany game

They never say things during the season.
But I. This uncharted territory, his friend HC is under attack.
If he was staying and being supported Kraft should squash the rumors and avoid the distraction.

But I. This uncharted territory, his friend HC is under attack.
If he was staying and being supported Kraft should squash the rumors and avoid the distraction.
Bill can handle himself. We saw that yesterday.

You don't think the quality of play is down? I do.
Across the NFL? I think we got spoiled by the Manning/Brady era and it'll never be that good again. The 2000s were owned by Brady, Manning, Steelers defenses, Chargers choking, the random carousel of NFC representatives, etc. I think we're just seeing a return to the norm tbh.

But even still, why wait? I don't get why hold out until BB is gone to stop watching the product. Hell personally I would be tuned in more with the turnover in the coaching staff and the hope of a revamped offense

TB12 - in the early years - did both what he was asked but also didn't turn it over and didn't freeze in big moments. The latter part was key, because they don't win both the Raiders game or the Rams game without that.

I said this in another post, but you can't penalize Brady for the fact he wasn't asked to do much early on, yet he still did what he was asked, including when it counted most. As much as I defended Jones, he never went out and just executed for 60 minutes. Without a guy who can do what they're supposed to do for an entire game week-after-week, it's hard to win just on defense. At the same time, if this offense even played like it did in 2021, they'd potentially have 10 wins right now and be poised for a playoff run.

Either way, that guy is seemingly gone, and having a viable QB who can handle the big stage makes all the difference in the world. The good ones can get you to January. The better ones get you through it, and that's who Brady started out as, and he became great the longer his career went.
That's the thing... Brady was not asked to do a lot, until he was. You can watch him take it to another level almost immediately after the Tuck Rule, and then again in the SB 36 vs Rams. Same in the SB vs Carolina. Had to go toe to toe with Jake Delhomme. Thanks to Kasey's boneheaded kick out of bounds, it was a short field to a FG for Adam. After that, it became mythic, the guy can do no wrong when the chips are down.

Ian as my father told me when i was young u r right sir and i am wrong.
LOL, doesn't have to be one way or the other. We're just talking here ;)

I don't hate the guy and, true or not, this discussion has been going on here long before Curran added his $.02. Bill was part of the greatest run in NYFL history but the team has been heading steadily into the cellar for 4 years now. And if Zappe did win 3 of 4 I'll be as happy as a pig in slop while the Tankheads will be looking for a bridge to jump off, but it would still leave the team at 6-11 and on the same downward spiral.

And the idea that the Pats are only a QB away is way off target. Check the player rankings that are out there somewhere and you'll probably be surprised at just how poor the player rankings are. The Pats have holes everywhere and the only person responsible is Bill. That isn't hate, that's fact.

It is tough to know when the QB is so bad, Mac and Cam were last in the league bad. All the players look much better with Zappe as QB. Look at JJSS's stats for last game versus the rest of the season. All of a sudden Cole Strange is a Top 10 guard according to the rankings. The player rankings and the QB performance are so closely tied that looking at "player rankings" to assess performance has holes in it. Brady always made WRs look good and when the same WRs signed with another team they did not look as good. Brady always made his OL look good. And so forth. Your attempt to look at "stats and facts" is not quite as objective as you project.

Has the last 3 to 4 years been bad with Newton and Jones? Yes. Hard to know what that means until we have a competent QB. Zappe is already making some players look great.

If Kraft leaked this to curran and he hasnt told BB yet that he is a lame duck coach after the bye , he loses all leverage of any trades or mutual parting. And he is doing BB dirty after 23 yrs of unprecedented success. Whatever the media might say I am hoping the krafts and BB have a much stronger bond than that.

I also think this was dicussed last yr .Playing Albert Breer a bit :D , they likely signed BB to a two yr extension last yr, gave mayo an extension and promised him the HC job in 2025 after which BB maybe agreed to leave/retire and during the course of two yrs they will add some one who manages personnel as well. This yrs results have accelerated it a bit but its likely he was here only till 2024..

I also think this was dicussed last yr .Playing Albert Breer a bit :D , they likely signed BB to a two yr extension last yr, gave mayo an extension and promised him the HC job in 2025 after which BB maybe agreed to leave/retire and during the course of two yrs they will add some one who manages personnel as well. This yrs results have accelerated it a bit but its likely he was here only till 2024..

Better to let him go too late than too early I suppose. :)

From early on I've thought that Bob and Bill were on the same page and appreciate each other. Nothing has changed to make me think otherwise.

But if you look at that list, all of those teams are in cities with large media markets, except for the Patriots. So, one could conclude, the winning had a major effect in their valuation.
Boston is the 9th biggest media market in the US.

Boston is a major media market.

It is tough to know when the QB is so bad, Mac and Cam were last in the league bad. All the players look much better with Zappe as QB. Look at JJSS's stats for last game versus the rest of the season. All of a sudden Cole Strange is a Top 10 guard according to the rankings. The player rankings and the QB performance are so closely tied that looking at "player rankings" to assess performance has holes in it. Brady always made WRs look good and when the same WRs signed with another team they did not look as good. Brady always made his OL look good. And so forth. Your attempt to look at "stats and facts" is not quite as objective as you project.

Has the last 3 to 4 years been bad with Newton and Jones? Yes. Hard to know what that means until we have a competent QB. Zappe is already making some players look great.

strange has been trending upward for weeks, however......his performance improved as his health improved

i'd like to see JJSS sustain his "success" to call it a trend

Curran is already backpedaling lol

"Things could change"
Of course he is. But everyone clicked it and talked about it, so that's a win.
deadpan bill murray GIF

I have no doubt that Jonathan Kraft is very bright. But I don’t think he has any more insight as to how to assemble a winning football team , including hiring a head coach or a GM, than his father…. Given how draft-dependent the process is.

Once BB is gone, whenever that happens, the attention will shift to Jonathan Kraft. He will be the face of the franchise leadership until and unless. a new Head Coach comes in and achieves great success, and even if that does happen it will still be on him to demur like his Dad did when BB came in. His Dad had to have things blow up in his face before he stepped back behind BB. Will Jonathan follow the Rooney model or the Mike Brown model?

The guy is almost 60 years old and has always worked for his Dad. I suspect he is itching to take the lead and recognizes this is as good a time as ever to put his own stamp on the organization. There is no denying the incredible success they’ve had and I do believe Jonathan has been quite important in facilitating that success, but it’s different to be the focal point. Off what I’ve seen, he’s got the same foot-in-mouth issues as his Dad and none of his Dad‘s natural warmth. His Dad had more than 20 years of being the leader of their business and still made some big errors with things in his first 6 years owning the team.

in short, I‘m expecting a change when the season is over and frankly think BB needs to move on, and while I’m always inclined to be optimistic I’m concerned about whether Kraft has what it takes at this point. If in fact, as I suspect, this Curran story comes from Jonathan, it’s not inspiring any hope in me - it’s a distraction to the team and serves no productive purpose that I can think of, so if It comes from him it’s a poor decision and if it comes from someone else in his organization a poor reflection on him as a leader.

Curran is already backpedaling lol

"Things could change"
Ehhh he's basically saying he gets the impression the decision it's set in stone but until it actually happens, theoretically something drastic could happen like them winning out and convingly beating the Chiefs and Bills that could maybe kinda save him in a long shot.

That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I think most people in general that are leaning towards firing Bill might be swayed if they somehow won out and beat top teams and we had reason to think this wasn't as unsalvageable as previously thought. But again, he's basically saying "I suppose a last minute hail mary could be converted". He basically said "it's 28-3, I guess hypothetically you can overcome that, but it's unlikely".

You guys are mmuch smarter than me. I am an idiot. Bill has won so much without TB lol.

You're absolutely right he wins a lot with TB! He averages a little under 8 wins per 17 game season in the 11+ seasons' worth of games he hasn't had TB as his starter.

Bucs probably make the playoffs again this season. A year "after" the GOAT leaves with $79M+ in dead money. They're at #10 in effective cap space next season.

That's why Wuzzy's excuse for the 2020 season is laughable. Licht is 10x a better GM than Belichick, the main reason Bill has to go,
Yippee, the NFCS is a crappy division.

Tampa had more losses than wins in 2022 and were division champs. Where is the QB of the future from this genius GM?

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back