PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Curran: Sources made 'clear to me' decision to move on from Belichick made after Germany game

threads like this drive me crazy

one does not have to be "team mac" or "team zappe", or "a BB homer" or "bill vs brady, pick a side" - all of these threads end up being boiled down into "one camp vs another"

such exercises in futility sometimes

Curran has really lost his way. The whole country is talking about this like it's fact, and it's far from fact or BB would already have been fired.
No. You don't fire someone with BB's resume mid-season. Even if they were 0-13 you don't fire him mid-season.

threads like this drive me crazy

one does not have to be "team mac" or "team zappe", or "a BB homer" or "bill vs brady, pick a side" - all of these threads end up being boiled down into "one camp vs another"

such exercises in futility sometimes
Well, "fan" is short for "fanatic"...

Curran has really lost his way. The whole country is talking about this like it's fact, and it's far from fact or BB would already have been fired.

journalists are trying to manifest the story now, rather than reporting on it

I have no doubt that Jonathan Kraft is very bright. But I don’t think he has any more insight as to how to assemble a winning football team , including hiring a head coach or a GM, than his father…. Given how draft-dependent the process is.
Yeah, RK really messed up the last 20 years with his choices.

I wouldn't expect an owner to have that kind of expert knowledge. What I want from an owner is (A) a serious desire to win and (B) the brains to determine who should be hired to make that happen. The latter would involve fundamental knowledge of how successful organizations operate and where to seek advice on applying that to an NFL team.
Most owners might be bright, but they are constitutionally incapable of figuring out what is best. This is why the ones with the "most desire to win" almost never do. Jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder are cases in point.

What wins in the NFL is continuity and consistency. Tom Brady's criticism of mediocrity in the NFL is born from teams not having the ability to install and execute their schemes because they don't practice enough. Scoring is down. When you have a plan, when you have continuity, a large part of your roster knows what they need to do, and you can keep adding to what they already know, instead of having to reinvent the wheel every other year.

These owners do not have the patience for that.

We're about to see the same exact mistake being made in Buffalo as a lot of people are clamoring for McDermott to be fired. It's crazy.

I suspect Curran is right, but this whole thing is really just about the Krafts and Belichick not getting along personally. They resent that Belichick treats this as his fiefdom when it's their fiefdom.

You guys are mmuch smarter than me. I am an idiot. Bill has won so much without TB lol.
Certainly not taking anything away from Brady. The guy is a once in a lifetime player. To your point, and what I was trying to allude to, is the ability to execute under pressure is absolutely underrated. You see it every January. Without that ability during the early part of his career, they don't win that first title and certainly don't win the next two.

At the same time, they were in some tight games over that span thanks to some terrific defensive game plans, which Belichick was clearly a part of. But those game plans are only successful if the QB does his part, and Brady became a complete player as the years went on, going above and beyond year in and year out for two decades.

Until they find another guy with even close to that clutch gene, it's going to be an uphill battle, regardless of who the coach is.

Well, if Curran is wrong, it's going to destroy what's left of his credibility. So he better be right.
he has nothing to lose, it's a worthwhile gamble, because he has no credibility left

it's a hope it pans out correct and i'm back in the game, vs i'll continue to be a better looking felger and make $$

his choices were basically: hire BB, get out of the way, make tipsy superbowl speeches, and find the best massage parlors on the road
And is worked damn it! Joking aside he took a huge chance hiring Bill when he did, he had a lot of pressure from some around the league not to but he did, and the rest is history.

And is worked damn it! Joking aside he took a huge chance hiring Bill when he did, he had a lot of pressure from some around the league not to but he did, and the rest is history.
He wanted to hire Belichick in 1996. It was a cinch, a guarantee that he eventually would. The fact he wanted to move on from Carroll says a lot about the lack of control Carroll had over his players.

Well, if Curran is wrong, it's going to destroy what's left of his credibility. So he better be right.
What plays into my belief that it's accurate is the fact it took this long to come out. I suspect this one was double/triple-checked before it was reported, as well as whether or not there was still truth to it at this point in the season. And I agree with what @Steve102 mentioned, it may have also been leaked due to the speculation that Belichick might actually be here beyond this year after the turn the team had started to make.

Certainly not taking anything away from Brady. The guy is a once in a lifetime player. To your point, and what I was trying to allude to, is the ability to execute under pressure is absolutely underrated. You see it every January. Without that ability during the early part of his career, they don't win that first title and certainly don't win the next two.

At the same time, they were in some tight games over that span thanks to some terrific defensive game plans, which Belichick was clearly a part of. But those game plans are only successful if the QB does his part, and Brady became a complete player as the years went on, going above and beyond year in and year out for two decades.

Until they find another guy with even close to that clutch gene, it's going to be an uphill battle, regardless of who the coach is.
Ian record without TB12 plz? We can agree to disagree I guess. Leta see how the next coach does. Not trying to fight/ argue with you as it is your site. Hope u understand plz.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian
Ian record without TB12 plz?
Dude, I get it - but I'd be willing to bet they're probably not even in that first Rams game without Belichick, and they may not have beaten the Colts in 2003 and certainly wouldn't have held the Colts to just 3 points in 2004.

Belichick doesn't win six (or maybe any) titles without Brady executing down the stretch, just like Brady may have played well and come up short if they couldn't hold some of those offenses during all of those postseason runs. Granted, Bill will never be forgiven by me for the Butler thing, but there's no denying his effect in a lot of those big games.

Don't forget, they were also trailing in that Baltimore game before they pulled the alignment thing (Belichick) that Harbaugh whined about, etc. I know what the afternoon guys keep saying, but there were so many moments where coaching did play a role in allowing Brady to be in positions to finish things off.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back