PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady's Workout and Diet Routine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heavy weights are over rated, especially for positions like QB. You want to develop your core strength and fast twitch muscles like with martial arts. More reps with lighter weights for those positions. Older guys here should drop the heavies and increase the reps too.

The infamous Squealer All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu just does yoga, no weights. Not yo momma's yoga though.

Last edited:
The infamous Squealer All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu just does yoga, no weights. ....

I believe that about Polamalu--that he gets his edge from Yoga.

As to Brady's strength... no doubt he's a stronger quarterback than Joe Montana. Perhaps Montana did Yoga way before its time--strength was certainly not his edge (one of the most non-macho athletes of our time)

Heavy weights are over rated, especially for positions like QB. You want to develop your core strength and fast twitch muscles like with martial arts. More reps with lighter weights for those positions. Older guys here should drop the heavies and increase the reps too.

The infamous Squealer All-Pro safety Troy Polamalu just does yoga, no weights. Not yo momma's yoga though.

Polamalu in middle of training revolution

Tommy Boy does yoga too:

Tom Brady Spotted Doing Yoga on Paris Rooftop

I don't believe this for a second. Is there any proof of this (video of Polomalu saying this)? He put up 29 reps of 225 lbs before he was drafted and you don't put up that many reps by doing yoga and I don't care how high the intensity is. He lifts weights for sure.

I don't believe this for a second. Is there any proof of this (video of Polomalu saying this)? He put up 29 reps of 225 lbs before he was drafted and you don't put up that many reps by doing yoga and I don't care how high the intensity is. He lifts weights for sure.

I think you're underestimating just how intense yoga can get. Obviously he did weights when he was younger, but once you build that kind of muscle, maintaining it has mostly to do with conditioning. As someone above posted, more reps with lighter weights; that can also mean pushups, or similar workouts.

If you don't want to click on the link, here are some quotes:

"Instead of free weights or machines, Polamalu uses medicine balls, heavy shoes, something called the wobble board and other nontraditional football workouts such as the single-grip hand ball to train year-round, even during the season. He's quoted on one Web site extolling Marinovich's methods: "People have a hard time believing I could train for football using a heaviest weight of 20 pounds."

**** Big Ben. Personally, I'd rather be lean and muscular. I'm around 6'3 and that's what I try to get to. Rothlisberger is fat, plain and simple. QBs are supposed to be fit, for God's sake! There are enough overweight people in this country :p

rothlisberger is certainly not out of shape. he's built of pure muscle, def. not fat.

Resistance training is what you're thinking of, I believe. Yoga is excellent in that regard.

I do yoga on a weekly basis, and quite frankly got injured a lot less often.

Of course, TB almost certainly is not, but I get a sense he eats less meat than most other NFL players.

FWIW, given that he has apparently eaten dinner with the OLs on a regular basis, I think it's rather unlikely he's a complete vegetarian. :)

Tom Brady, the Granola Kid. Protein shakes, creatinine... no mention of meat. Could that be so?

Whatever, great to read about his physical disciplines---it really does sound like he could be effective till 40.

I've heard that Matt Light got him into raw food. That means no raw meat.

I've heard that Matt Light got him into raw food. That means no raw meat.

There's a restaurant over in the North End that serves only raw food. I've eaten there a couple times. I am a healthy eater, but that is a bit extreme for my tastes.

Well your body ages along with how you have to watch what you eat. Good for you Tom.

I remember Brady's draft day picture. How damn skinny he was LOL

FWIW, given that he has apparently eaten dinner with the OLs on a regular basis, I think it's rather unlikely he's a complete vegetarian. :)

The article says nothing about him being a vegan. the full paragraph says:

In terms of his diet, Brady always tries to eat clean and healthy meals and tries to consume enough protein, fruits, vegetables, granola and nuts from natural foods. He also takes his daily vitamins as well as protein shakes and protein bars along with creatine for added muscular strength.

The emphasis is on "natural foods". Meat is a VERY natural food, and what this refers to are meats like free range chicken, beef raised with no hormones, etc.

Meh.. doesn't really go into details about brady's diet. I.E., if he avoids any allergens (it can affect athletic performance), or if he even eat meat... ****, i thought almost all NFL players eat some sort of meat. I have read how ray lewis literall only eats veggies and fish (doesnt eat pork or steak), and never eats junk food.

As a young person myself (20 years old), what type of diet is ideal for me? I am trying out something like a paleolithic diet (Which includes free range chicken, and the organic steak, fish, veggies, fruits, nuts).

Thing with Brady is he's still not a bulky, big-muscule guy. But his training seems to have made him still very strong and flexible and I think that helps him a lot in taking hits (from defenders — see Dumervil — and other drivers) while still excelling at his position. I was coming into work today and someone on 98.5 (don't know who) was saying Tebow needs to chill a bit on the lifting, as his bulkiness hurts him as a passer. Gotta get a balance.

Tebow is freakin jacked... I bet that Brady throws up at least 8 or 9 reps of 225 lbs on the bench press though

What type of diet do you guys think is ideal for a basketball player?

Thing with Brady is he's still not a bulky, big-muscule guy. But his training seems to have made him still very strong and flexible and I think that helps him a lot in taking hits (from defenders — see Dumervil — and other drivers) while still excelling at his position. I was coming into work today and someone on 98.5 (don't know who) was saying Tebow needs to chill a bit on the lifting, as his bulkiness hurts him as a passer. Gotta get a balance.

Tebow's "bulkiness" doesnt make him less able as a passer, his excess residual tension in his upper body does interfere with his ability as a passer, but those are 2 different things.

That said, a QB isn't served very well by spending a ton of time lifting weights because being biger and stronger wont help you be a more productive QB, what would help him is if he were to spend less time with the weights and more time doing hand/eye coordination drills, decision making drills, popping exercises, improving his throwing motio, studying film, learning how to run an NFL offense, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST