PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady Was the Most-Hit QB in the League, from 2006-2007

Status
Not open for further replies.
You took a poorly researched article which used a misleading statistic.

How is it misleading? It is as straight forward as it gets, counting how many times a QB gets hit in a season. Tom Brady led the league in getting hit among QB's his last two full seasons in the league. You keep labeling the stat 'misleading' because you don't understand what is being talked about, you keep trying to impose your own misguided ideas onto that stat.

Well, with a healthy Maroney and Taylor this stat should decline. Teams will have to protect against the run more often, I would think.

Hit/dropback doesn't mean anything. An offense which scores many points, or which puts together many first downs, will have tons of drop backs (which in this case means total snaps). If one wanted to figure out how good the team is pass protecting, look at hits against pass attempts, not drop backs.

Pass attempts (or passing play attempts I should say, he could tuck and run) and drop backs are the same thing. It's not a drop back if he hands the ball off.

The thing is, Brady will Brady. We can play safe and paranoid and render TFB average pretty quickly. The line could sue some shoring up, but I don't imagine we'll see any drastic change to that stat as the years roll on.

Why not play a different type of offense to account for this information? With more ball control, more regular sets with more pass protection?

We know our QB was hit the most pre-injury, and now coming back from injury you want to keep things as they were? With his knee?

Pass attempts (or passing play attempts I should say, he could tuck and run) and drop backs are the same thing. It's not a drop back if he hands the ball off.

Look at the stat he used to count 'drop backs'. It's not pass attempts, it was total snaps, which is why he had totals that were over a thousand.

Look at the stat he used to count 'drop backs'. It's not pass attempts, it was total snaps, which is why he had totals that were over a thousand.

You're making this too easy... this is over TWO YEARS, remember? So yes, he threw over 1000 times in TWO YEARS.

What else ya got? :rolleyes:

Brady had 516 pass attempts in 2006 and 578 pass attempts in 2007.

How is it misleading? It is as straight forward as it gets, counting how many times a QB gets hit in a season. Tom Brady led the league in getting hit among QB's his last two full seasons in the league. You keep labeling the stat 'misleading' because you don't understand what is being talked about, you keep trying to impose your own misguided ideas onto that stat.

No, I called it misleading because it ignores all the variables that go into a QB getting hit. I then listed a few of those variables.

Why not play a different type of offense to account for this information? With more ball control, more regular sets with more pass protection?

This will be a legendary offense, perfectly tooled for a spread formation.

We know our QB was hit the most pre-injury, and now coming back from injury you want to keep things as they were? With his knee?

Yep.

You're making this too easy... this is over TWO YEARS, remember?

Again, that's an off topic discussion, but you're right, my mistake. Thanks for the catch sicilian.

One could use hits against total pass attempts as one type of metric to figure out which o-line or team did a better job protecting per attempt. But that's not the point.

Knowing that Brady was hit the most pre-injury, and now post-injury, do you think we should run the same kind of offense, which punishes our star QB?

No, I called it misleading because it ignores all the variables that go into a QB getting hit. I then listed a few of those variables.

It doesn't ignore them, it simply doesn't list them because they aren't relevant.

You cited total pass attempts as one variable which accounts for total hits. Do you think they should take steps to change the numbers for this variable at all?

Or, does the fact that Brady was hit the most of any QB even before he was injured, mean nothing to you, and you think we should operate exactly as before?

Knowing that Brady was hit the most pre-injury, and now post-injury, do you think we should run the same kind of offense, which punishes our star QB?

I expect them to change it up a bit yes, on that point we agree. I think the additions of Taylor, Baker, and Smith, were made to employ some bigger sets to run a bit more. But I still want the spread to be featured heavily, because I feel we have great peronnel for it. If it's our best chance to win, I don't want Brady's knee to even enter the discussion.

I don't think Bill Belichick was particularly happy with our lack of depth at RB in 2007, so changing to a more balanced attack is a "given" and happened last year under Josh. I don't think Tom coming back means we go back to not making the opponent defend the run. If we have a balanced attack like last year it won't be because Josh is gone. This is the "better offense" I envision- more balanced, more ball-control oriented.

I bet in the first half of the season last year Matt was hit more than most because on passing downs he was not getting rid of the ball quickly when there was no play to make. Late in the year he seemed to be getting rid of the ball better and getting hit less, while an effective running game was a constant.

There is also a reason why Bill is creating competition at TE. We need a TE who can block and not have hands of stone, even if he couldn't win a track meet.

So the offense is changing to be more veratile, effective, and less predictable. The changes also should make Tom get hit less. I also think that those changes were underway, were inevitable, many were in place a year ago, and they had nothing to do with a change in offensive coordinator this year.

Last edited:
It doesn't ignore them, it simply doesn't list them because they aren't relevant.

You cited total pass attempts as one variable which accounts for total hits. Do you think they should take steps to change the numbers for this variable at all?

Or, does the fact that Brady was hit the most of any QB even before he was injured, mean nothing to you, and you think we should operate exactly as before?

OF COURSE they are relevant. How the hell can total pass attempts NOT be relevant to how good a job the offensive line was doing in pass protection?

Are you not sober right now, or something?

Last edited:
OF COURSE they are relevant.

Stop ignoring the question.

You cited total pass attempts as one variable which accounts for total hits. I can buy your argument on this. Now, do you think they should take steps to change the numbers for this variable at all?

Stop ignoring the question.

You cited total pass attempts as one variable which accounts for total hits. I can buy your argument on this. Now, do you think they should take steps to change the numbers for this variable at all?

I'm not ignoring any question. You have made a false argument which took a swipe at the former O.C., and you used a misleading stat to do so. I'm simply not letting you squirm away from that by changing the subject until you figure out the obvious and admit to it.

Oh, and by the way, In 2006-2007, Manning had 1072 attempts and Brees had 1206. In other words, Brady wasn't passing far more than most QBs who are passing QBs. That's why those other factors are relevant.

In your myopic obsession over pass attempts, you continually gloss over any recommendations or solutions over THE FACT that Tom Brady was the most hit QB in the league his last two years before injury. Even his knee injury was on a hit after the throw. Brady gets pounded more than any other QB, but you keep trolling this thread talking about off topic issues, because you know you don't have a point.

Pressure on Pats' O-line to protect rebuilt Brady - AFC East - ESPN

QB's who were the most hit in 2006 and in 2007, totals:

Tom Brady Patriots 86
Carson Palmer Bengals 86
Brett Favre Packers 78
Kurt Warner Cardinals 72
Steve McNair Ravens 70

This was clear to anyone who regularly watched the Pats that Brady pre-injury was regularly taking a beating on the field. With Brady coming back from major knee injury, reducing the hits will be even more important. Hopefully our new coordinator won't be as negligent with the minimal protection and obsessed with repeated spread passing formations.

:rofl: I posted one like this a year and a half ago and I got a few stern rebuttals like this one.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...78209-changes-offense-keep-brady-healthy.html
I dont know what you are watching. Brady got hit less than almost any QB in the NFL this year. This is the perfect case of if he gets hit 3 times in a game everyone is up in arms that he is 'getting knocked around' without realizing that all the other QBs out there are getting hit 10,15, 20 times.

Now, do you think they should take steps to change the numbers for this variable at all?

THEY ALREADY HAVE

Look at the effectiveness of the running game last year, look at the even more depth this year, look at the collection of better-blocking tight ends, look at some added competetion on the O-line.

We will run the ball much more effectively than last year due to having a deep passing threat, and much more often than two years ago due to depth and talent at RB. Tom's attempts could go down 10% this year from 2007 and it won't be to protect Tom, it will be to have a more diverse offense that can win a game by running the ball too. The offense will be better than 2007 and yet probably will break none of the passing, receiving, and touchdown records. Yet it will be better because we will be able to run the ball when we want to.

Last edited:
In your myopic obsession over pass attempts, you continually gloss over any recommendations or solutions over THE FACT that Tom Brady was the most hit QB in the league his last two years before injury. Even his knee injury was on a hit after the throw. Brady gets pounded more than any other QB, but you keep trolling this thread talking about off topic issues, because you know you don't have a point.

Ummm... how is it myopic when I'm talking about other factors? The reality is that you're the one who's only looking at one thing, and viewing it in a vacuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe