PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady, NFLPA Granted 14-Day Extension To File Motion For Rehearing By Second Circuit Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rusty, what SI article?
I would think the nfl now knows TB is going to do everything in his power to clear his name, I would think a whiff of a defamation suit would make some owners a little nervous but some of those guys have huge egos so who knows.

I think the majority of the owners aren't happy with the turd, Sheriff Goebbels.

The next day, after this article was written, a posturing retort from Goodell denied that owners want to settle/reduce the suspension.

It's a bluff by the NFL, but Brady will never settle anyway.

Report: NFL owners want Brady suspension reduced

I've lost count of the number of times I've seen Tom beat the odds. He's rewriting that book.

This entire case has been bizarro in bucking the odds

The NFL strikes first and files in NYC to avoid the 8th circuit and argues the courts have no jurisdiction or role aside from affirming that Roger can do what he wants

The issues were only meant to be focused on the CBA granting Goodell the authority he asserts, with no burden of proof or fairness to be followed

Berman says "not so fast" and asserts that, yes, no matter how broad the authority a CBA might grant, it does not abdicate the NFL a responsibility to demonstrate basic fairness - a sad irony that this is a matter involving sport, which itself is dependent on fairness

Then the 2nd circuit arguments - which again were meant to focus not on the facts of the case but on the legality of Berman's insistence that the NFL have an obligation to be fair

In this case, two of the judges, likely in an effort to demonstrate their "high deference" to what they apparently are willing to assume is a fair and independent arbitrator, make a point to affirm the NFL's version of the facts, right or wrong, and find against Brady, with the Chief Judge of the court dissenting

It seems to me that those Judges didn't even bother to consider Berman's legal arguments, asserting right from the start that they can and should only assume that Goodell's version of the truth is the valid one, despite being based on a belief that the Laws of Physics do not apply to the NFL

No matter how slim the chances of the full 2nd circuit taking this up, I have a funny feeling that we may even see this go all the way to the Supreme Court

The NFL may have a unique CBA with the players, but there are basic issues of fairness and adherence to standard CBA principals at risk here, and it will be a sad day for the Judiciary if they affirm a finding that arbitrators - not to mention the NFL itself - has no legal responsibility to even pretend to be fair, on the field or off

Would losing four game checks count as financial harm? If so (and I don't see why it wouldn't, but maybe I'm missing something), I'd think demonstrating financial harm would be a no-brainer.

Of course. It doesn't matter how much money is and how rich Brady is, it's that 56 lies can be proven and every nasty little tidbit we all know is on their phones and computers would be open for questioning in a court room.

There is no way every single transmission was done on phone calls. At some point, someone has an email or text in there to expose this framrjob attempt, not to mention all kinds of other ****.

How funny would it be if them lying about certain texts from Jastremski and McNally, with contexts of those texts removed intentionally to frame, would lead all the texts of Goodell and Co to a conviction on a federal stand?

Seems the public opinion in the media has swung strongly against the NFL. The longer Brady prolongs this, the more it is rubbed in their face by the media and the higher the bills go on this. Even if he does not ultimately win, this benefits him in the long run. Shows he wanted to pursue his good name.

Dude, there is no way Brady took a stand to commit perjury over this thing.

That in itself would have a normal commissioner quaking in his boots at this point, but as we know, Sheriff Goebbels is not normal. He's delusional, corrupt and has mental illness.

When you are down 21-20 in the 4th qtr with 22 seconds left on your own 38yd line, all you need is a 1st down to then try and get the ball in FG range....

TB12 did just that.

Enter Adam V. ( Brady's Legal Team) KICK goodell* through his Uprights.......TWICE!

We were told by legal experts that the fact that Berman ridiculed the NFL meant nothing and that Chin insisting Brady was guilty also meant nothing. I have no legal experience and no offense, but at this point, I'm going to listen to my own common sense rather than legal experts since it's been more accurate. I'm taking this as a good sign.
There is probably only a handful of attorneys that have decent insight on the details and outcomes of these cases. They certainly are not on sports blogs.

Of course. It doesn't matter how much money is and how rich Brady is, it's that 56 lies can be proven and every nasty little tidbit we all know is on their phones and computers would be open for questioning in a court room.

There is no way every single transmission was done on phone calls. At some point, someone has an email or text in there to expose this framrjob attempt, not to mention all kinds of other ****.

How funny would it be if them lying about certain texts from Jastremski and McNally, with contexts of those texts removed intentionally to frame, would lead all the texts of Goodell and Co to a conviction on a federal stand?
Theyd argue that the investigation never had to be fair and there's no clause in the CBA preventing a framing.

You know, sports fans always deal with hypotheticals. Second guessing every big loss, wishing just one play went differently. One I've been asking myself is if I would rather us have won Super Bowl 42 or for deflategate to have never existed. How about 46? I honestly don't know which one I'd choose.

Not to get political, but if Trump does become president, can he just pardon Brady, or would Goodell just suspend Trump? And what if North Korea nuked the NYFL's HQ?

This gets crazier every day!

It's not enough to get me to vote for him, but Trump would be Goodell's nightmare

If there's precedence for Congressional hearings into PEDs in baseball then the blatantly corrupt moves of Goodell certainly demand some public scrutiny

The Peterson case is wayour over due for a ruling, hopefully that happens before the decide on whether or not Brady's case will be reheard.

1. Brady is granted the en banc hearing and WINS. The NFL can appeal? Where?
2. Brady is denied the hearing or loses it. The next step and last chance is the SCOTUS?

1. SCOTUS - a very long shot given no conflict between circuits (except if AP loses).

2. Yes - would need AP to win his case first or no chance of cert.

Wonder if he will win against the Commissioner again? As he won last year. This story is getting very old.

Is this like an extension on a car loan? Mortgage? The idiocy this red-headed, doltish stepchild has put NFL* fandom through boggles the mind.

Is there any chance in this circus that Brady will not have to sit out the first 4 games? SCOTUS will take a long time, right?

Rusty, what SI article?
I would think the nfl now knows TB is going to do everything in his power to clear his name, I would think a whiff of a defamation suit would make some owners a little nervous but some of those guys have huge egos so who knows.
Especially the thought of the owners possibly going through the discovery process or potentially being deposed..you know having to answer questions under oath from Brady's lawyers......The threat of that would get them to push Goodell really fast to end this charade/debacle/witchhunt.

Edit- I don't think Brady would have to show/prove economic damages to win if he argues libel per se and that the NFL spoke falsely about his profession damaging him, if he can prove NY Times malice, that is the NFL acted recklessly or with knowledge that their statement was false...

Not to get political, but if Trump does become president, can he just pardon Brady, or would Goodell just suspend Trump? And what if North Korea nuked the NYFL's HQ?

This gets crazier every day!
A President can only pardon for Federal offenses but there is no love lost between Trump and the NFL ( remember the USFL) and he could make life very miserable for the league........in a host of ways...

A President can only pardon for Federal offenses but there is no love lost between Trump and the NFL ( remember the USFL) and he could make life very miserable for the league........in a host of ways...

Like demanding that the Pats have their draft picks returned to them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes