PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Tom Brady ‘wouldn't be opposed' to NFL return, mentions Patriots -- DON'T NEED A QB ANYMORE!

I think he'll suck. Too stiff.
Maybe it's just me, but he seems strangely unenthusiastic about his next job as a FOX color guy. It is about 4 months away and we don't really hear much about it.

I think he will struggle to be rated PG. The best speaking I have seen him do is when he's free to sprinkle in F bombs and whatnot.

No question.
You think so? I think he misses the game and all that goes with it. There's plenty of ways for him to get attention that don't require having a 28 year old D lineman turn him into a greasy spot on the field.

How would his legacy be tarnished? So what if he comes back and sucks? Many HoF QBs sucked their last year or two and are still considered great.

No question.
We are talking about the GOAT, so you can't compare it to the other guys. To me being considered the greatest at anything is very precarious, and would be a legacy that would be easy to fall from, especially if Mahommes continues to win rings. If he goes to a loaded team he could be carried to a ring like Manning was with Denver, but it would be cheapened IMO (I know he went to a loaded team with the Bucs, but he also was still pretty damn good at the time). And if he came to the Pats as currently constructed I believe it would be a disaster. I want to remember Brady going out still at the peak of his powers. I don't want to see a guy in his late 40s running for his life while trying to make plays downfield to Juju Smith Schuster.

We'll have to disagree about his TV skills. No one is better at picking apart defenses and seeing what everyone is doing than Brady. I would take him over just about every color guy currently employed.

We are talking about the GOAT, so you can't compare it to the other guys. To me being considered the greatest at anything is very precarious, and would be a legacy that would be easy to fall from, especially if Mahommes continues to win rings. If he goes to a loaded team he could be carried to a ring like Manning was with Denver, but it would be cheapened IMO (I know he went to a loaded team with the Bucs, but he also was still pretty damn good at the time). And if he came to the Pats as currently constructed I believe it would be a disaster. I want to remember Brady going out still at the peak of his powers. I don't want to see a guy in his late 40s running for his life while trying to make plays downfield to Juju Smith Schuster.

We'll have to disagree about his TV skills. No one is better at picking apart defenses and seeing what everyone is doing than Brady. I would take him over just about every color guy currently employed.
I saw some talk that Brady wants to become the Johnny Miller of football, and would like to be critical of players now and then. That would be great.

Or, now that Bill is gone Brady wouldn't be opposed to playing for the patriots.

we do know at the time it was basically Brady or Bill. and Kraft chose Bill. a logical choice, but ultimately the wrong one.

Brady demonstrated that he only wants to play for a team with an outstanding WR corps. That is why he left the Patriots. So far in this pathetic offseason, the Patriots have not done anything to fix this issue. A sure way for a QB to get killed in the NFL is to play with WRs who cannot get open and behind a line that cannot protect you; you can hardly blame Brady for leaving.

I think that Brady was a 49'ers fan growing up and they have Deebo, but they already have a (super-discount) QB.

Last edited:
I think it was more complicated than that. Brady left because Bill was so incompetent at getting him the weapons he wanted. In particular, it seems like BB chose N'Keal Harry over the advice of his scouts who wanted Deebo; this was the worst draft pick in Patriots history since it caused the departure of Brady. It is no coincidence the Brady went to a team that was loaded at WR.

BB is he GOAT head coach, but not so good as a GM. But, based on this year, it is starting to feel as if Bob Kraft is the real GM problem or part of the problem. He is probably to blame for losing Jacobi, DHop, and Ridley. And who was the rocket-scientist / cheapskate behind the bonehead move in letting Joe Thuney walk? They could certainly use him now. This off season has been pathetic; in addition to losing out on Ridley, the Patriots lost Pharaoh Brown and Mallik Cunningham and failed to sign any significant new players. The Patriots are so depleted now that nothing short of a draft day miracle can save them or save Mayo's skin.
I hate to break it to you but he's also the greatest GM this game has ever seen. People forget that GM is not only about drafting and people also don't give him enough credit for his actual drafting. In order here are most of his best picks and I'd say it's an impressive list. Not to mention all the other players he signed or traded for.

Brady
Seymour
Light
Graham
Branch
Green
Givens
Warren
Zant
Koppen
Vince
Watson
Mankins
Mayo
Chung
Volmer
Jules
Dmac
Gronk
*Hernandez
Solder
Vareen
Cannon
Chandler Jones
Hightower
Collins
Ryan
Jimmy
White
Thuney
Wise
Bentley
Dugger
Onwenwu
Barmore
Rham
Gonzalez
Douglas

I hate to break it to you but he's also the greatest GM this game has ever seen. People forget that GM is not only about drafting and people also don't give him enough credit for his actual drafting. In order here are most of his best picks and I'd say it's an impressive list. Not to mention all the other players he signed or traded for.

Brady
Seymour
Light
Graham
Branch
Green
Givens
Warren
Zant
Koppen
Vince
Watson
Mankins
Mayo
Chung
Volmer
Jules
Dmac
Gronk
*Hernandez
Solder
Vareen
Cannon
Chandler Jones
Hightower
Collins
Ryan
Jimmy
White
Thuney
Wise
Bentley
Dugger
Onwenwu
Barmore
Rham
Gonzalez
Douglas
Granted he made a lot of GOAT level GM moves in The Old Days. Not just draft picks, but FA signings like Moss, Dillon, etc.

However he eventually lost his fastball as far as GM moves, at least on offense. As far as Pop Douglas, he was an afterthought, late in the 6th. He should have gone much earlier; another example of his WR blind spot. He drafted like a Defensive Coordinator.

Don't get me wrong, I want BB back. He is the GOAT and I suspect he will be sorely missed this season and the next.

Already the Patriots have been pantsed again and again this offseason, and I think it is pretty obvious who is to blame and it is not BB, of course. https://media1.tenor.com/m/PHiZIXYzs50AAAAd/hibs.gif

Main issue is that once he’s approved as a minority owner of the Raiders, he can’t play anymore. That’s the rules. But until that is approved, he can.

Besides that - I mean, obviously it’s not going to happen, but just theorize for a minute. Trade down to 6, take Odunze, use the extra 2nd you picked up in the trade down plus pick 34 to move up into the teens and take a premier left tackle. Boom! Offense is Brady-ready. Though I doubt he wants to come learn and run AVP’s offense if he had the choice lol. Who knows though, Flacco was successful.

This is 99.9% a nothing story and maybe even a subtle threat to the league to approve his ownership stake or else he will un-retire and go back to the Patriots (their worst nightmare) but it’s still fun to think about.
That would be a dream come true. Imagine Brady comes back and wins another Superbowl with a rookie WR and rookie LT? And on top of that he beats Mahomes again in the AFC championship game to get there? That would be the stuff of legends!

I don't think this will happen though. Love TB12 but I think he's just flirting with the idea now that BB is finally out of town. But doubtful this is serious talk.

Agree to disagree. I don't think any less of Manning's career because he had a noodle arm at the end.
We'll find out how engaging, insightful, and entertaining he is as a color guy.

Agree to disagree. I don't think any less of Manning's career because he had a noodle arm at the end.

We'll find out how engaging, insightful, and entertaining he is as a color guy.
Sometimes there's a man for his time and place. Fits right in there. And that's Tom Brady. :)

Brady
Seymour
Light
Graham
Branch
Green
Givens
Warren
Zant
Koppen
Vince
Watson
Mankins
Mayo
Chung
Volmer
Jules
Dmac
Gronk
*Hernandez
Solder
Vareen
Cannon
Chandler Jones
Hightower
Collins
Ryan
Jimmy
White
Thuney
Wise
Bentley
Dugger
Onwenwu
Barmore
Rham
Gonzalez
Douglas
You can't be both the greatest GM and greatest coach. One offsets the other. Stop it with this non sense.

You can't be both the greatest GM and greatest coach. One offsets the other. Stop it with this non sense.
And yet somehow he did it. He was such a good GM he made his coach's job easier and vice versa. Any other GMs win 6 SBs? Any other HC win 6 SBs?

What would you say if Manning tried to come back now?

As for the color spot, I don't need my color guy to be super entertaining. I just need him to know the game and not annoy the crap out of everyone. I think Brady can fit that bill.

And yet somehow he did it. He was such a good GM he made his coach's job easier and vice versa. Any other GMs win 6 SBs? Any other HC win 6 SBs?
Much like his record as an HC, his record as a GM without Brady is atrocious. He stumbled ass backwards into the greatest NFL player of all time. Beyond that, he was mediocre at best.

Much like his record as an HC, his record as a GM without Brady is atrocious. He stumbled ass backwards into the greatest NFL player of all time. Beyond that, he was mediocre at best.
If you choose to believe he stumbled backwards into it you have that right so long as you recognize he's the greatest GM and HC of all time.

If you choose to believe he stumbled backwards into it you have that right
Anyone with the slightest clue about history knows that is what happened.

The Patriots got lucky, pure and simple. Belichick is a horrible GM and that’s why this team was driven into the ground once Brady left.

Beyond that he couldn't draft anyone who was good:

Brady
Seymour
Light
Graham
Branch
Green
Givens
Warren
Zant
Koppen
Vince
Watson
Mankins
Mayo
Chung
Volmer
Jules
Dmac
Gronk
*Hernandez
Solder
Vareen
Cannon
Chandler Jones
Hightower
Collins
Ryan
Jimmy
White
Thuney
Wise
Bentley
Dugger
Onwenwu
Barmore
Rham
Gonzalez
Douglas

Beyond that he couldn't draft anyone who was good:

Brady
Seymour
Light
Graham
Branch
Green
Givens
Warren
Zant
Koppen
Vince
Watson
Mankins
Mayo
Chung
Volmer
Jules
Dmac
Gronk
*Hernandez
Solder
Vareen
Cannon
Chandler Jones
Hightower
Collins
Ryan
Jimmy
White
Thuney
Wise
Bentley
Dugger
Onwenwu
Barmore
Rham
Gonzalez
Douglas
LOL!! You're being awfully generous with most of the above selections and calling them good ones. Most of those names are easily replaceable, especially the ones on offense. I like Shane Vereen but the guy was a 2nd round pick who combined for 2,000 rushing/receiving yards in 4 years and could have been easily replaced if necessary. That's not what you want from a 2nd round pick.

He was GM for 25 years. You could throw darts at a dartboard to determine your draft picks and you'd hit a few winners over 25 years. Fact is Brady carried this team for 20 years. Once Brady left, the team went straight downhill. That's 100% on Belichick.

Last edited:

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back