PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time to panic on special teams coverage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betterthanmost

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
2019 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
Should we be worried about the kickoff coverage or are we just seeing the odds evening up?
When SF had that huge return, I thought it was by chance, now I am feeling that teams might have seen something and are really game planning for our kickoff return team.

you can be sure its something Bill will work on this week.

we gave up at least 2 scores due to poor special teams play

you can be sure its something Bill will work on this week.

we gave up at least 2 scores due to poor special teams play

You will not see that happen the following weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was horrendous.

Should we be worried about the kickoff coverage or are we just seeing the odds evening up?
When SF had that huge return, I thought it was by chance, now I am feeling that teams might have seen something and are really game planning for our kickoff return team.

The game earlier today is history. This Sunday's game is the future. Whatever the Patriots did today that they did not do well, they need to work on tightening up. Yet with no significant track record of glaring weakness in the ST coverage game, suggesting panic is already the act of panicking.....:D

I dont think the Ravens return game is as good as the Texans...

The game earlier today is history. This Sunday's game is the future. Whatever the Patriots did today that they did not do well, they need to work on tightening up. Yet with no significant track record of glaring weakness in the ST coverage game, suggesting panic is already the act of panicking.....:D

I think the odds of Daniel Manning burning us next week are very low.

Kick coverage was awful. On a good note never seen mesko do better. He never stands out and sometimes craps his pants when needed most but he boomed a few and angled another nice change.

Last edited:
As much as he's screwed up, Jacoby Jones is still a threat to run one back. They gotta right the ship.

Fire Scott O'Brien immediately (since you can't get rid of all the ST players). That was the worst ***** I have ever seen.

Hey guys, first off I want to say here is to an exciting game and I can't wait for the rematch this weekend.

Reading this topic, I had to sign up (no trolling and no disrespect). I love the Ravens v Pats match-ups, no matter the outcome (But I want a win ;) ) However, in terms of our special teams-there is a reason Jacoby Jones is going to the pro-bowl. He was a weapon on special teams this season and finished in first for average return yards. He's the only kickoff returner to have 2 touchdowns this season as well. In terms of the texans, we are definitely better on special teams. There is a reason they switched returners at the start of the playoffs!

Good luck in the coming week and here's hopefully to some friendly posting!

terrible coverage...which begs the question... why were BOTH Derrick Martin and Malcolm Williams inactive tonight?

also surprised to see Fells Inactive...wont be next week i bet.

In a way it's good that it happened in this game. We were able to get away with it and hopefully we can learn from it.

If it ends up biting us again in the next 1 or 2 games I think we have to seriously consider firing O'brien. ST has played a key role in being outplayed thoroughly or giving up a huge backbreaking play in last year's SB, AZ loss, SF loss, and Seattle loss. With the amount of stress put on ST that is inexcusable. It doesn't need to be an overwhelming strength like in 2001 but it sure as **** can't be an achilles heel.

I didn't think either of those huge returns were impressive individual efforts so much as huge gaping holes. On the first one it looked like we decided to run everyone to the right side of the field for some reason. We have so many really good ST players I'd be shocked if this wasn't worked out.

Chung also crapped the bed on the onside kick, I'd be surprised if we see a lot of him in the near future.

terrible coverage...which begs the question... why were BOTH Derrick Martin and Malcolm Williams inactive tonight?

also surprised to see Fells Inactive...wont be next week i bet.

I was surprised too. It probably had an effect on the special teams coverage.

Yes we should panic, because that's what we do.

It was only ONE PORTION of special teams that was an issue tonight. And part of that issue was the lack of holding/block in the back calls against Houston. Which occurred on all 3 long returns.

Below is what I saw from the replay of the 3 long returns. I also mention the one return that the Pats kept Manning contained.

On the first kick-off, (94 yard return) You had, from left to right:

Arrington, Bolden, Rivera, Ebner, White, Gostkowski, Slater, Koutivedes, McCourty, Wilson, Cole.

Bolden and Rivera both got blocked out.
Cole and Wilson ran too deep in their lanes and blocked themselves out.
Ebner got held by the guy he engaged.
Koutivedes seems to be the one who lost his lane assignment as, he seemed to be the one who Manning ran by. Slater might have also been out of position slightly.

On the 4th return, where Gost was called for the horse-collar, you had the following from left to right:

McCourty, Cole, Wilson, Koutivedes, Slater, Gostkowski, White, Ebner, Rivera, Bolden, Arrington.

On this one, Cole and Bolden are both held, allowing Manning to get by easily. However, Arrington also seemed to be out of his lane.

On the 65 yard return, from left to right, you had:
Arrington, Bolden, Cole, White, Slater, Gostkowski, Ebner, Koutivedes, Rivera, Wilson, McCourty

On this coverage, White and Slater switch lanes just prior to engaging. However, White goes down and effectively cuts off Rivera and Koutivedes from the play since they are right on top of him.

Ebner was illegally blocked in the back, knocking him down. This forces Slater to JUMP Ebner in an attempt to stay in the play. This is after Slater was also pushed from behind.

Cole seems to be out of his lane and is too close to Slater, not giving himself enough room to cut back towards Manning and this allows Manning to run by him.

Bolden didn't adjust at all on this play and over-ran it and took himself out. I was surprised that he stayed so far to the left despite the ball being kicked towards the opposite side of the field. I would have expected him to cut back behind Cole and Slater to help Arrington with contain.

There was ONE kick coverage that was done perfectly. The one that held Manning to just a 10 yard (or so) return. It was the same as the previous set-up, except that White and Slater swapped places to start and Ebner and Koutivedes swapped lanes just before hitting the blockers of Houston.

Not going to panic but it is concerning. The large returns were the most obvious. Maybe what is not so obvious is the low long snaps Mesko had to deal with.

Not going to panic but it is concerning. The large returns were the most obvious. Maybe what is not so obvious is the low long snaps Mesko had to deal with.

The long returns were concerning until I went and looked at the replays and saw all the holding and blocks in the back committed by the Texans. That being said, it was clear that Cole was rusty today. Bolden was also out of place on all 3 long returns as he had advanced too far up the field considering the directionality of the kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back