PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time to flip Mankins for an OLB...

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a shame he was unsatisfied with that offer looks like we'll just have to give it to someone more appreciative Woodley? Yeah that will do that will do.

Don't forget Tom Curran said that the Pats offer would make Mankins either the third or fourth highest paid guard in the league depending how you look at the deal. But that is after Jahri Evans got his deal, but the Pats offered Mankins this deal before Evans got his deal. Which means that, if Curran is right, at the time the Pats offered Mankins his contract it was either the second or third best contract for a guard ever.

Assuming that Curran's info is good, I cannot fathom how the Pats gave Mankins the shaft especially since both sides seem to agree the Pats made this initial offer and Mankins never countered. So all we know is the type of initial offer the Pats made and not where they would have bargain to.

I am having a hard time seeing how the Patriots offering a long term contract to a player that is bound under an RFA tag equates to screwing the player because the player apparently thinks he deserves to be the highest paid player at his position and the team apparently disagrees.
It seems simple to me. They either agree on his worth, he accepts his RFA contract, or he sits out. I dont know how a team screws a player by disagreeing with what he thinks he is worth. If that were the case, we could change the phrase from defense wins championships to screwing players wins champinships.
Somehow the fact that the CBA changed the # of years until a player is a UFA is being considered the Patriots screwing Mankins. I'm not sure how that works.

What if the promise the Pats allegedly broke was to make Mankins the highest paid LG in the league?

Good point. I can't imagine BB ever saying that, he's not stupid and has been around. Of course it's been noted how BB is lawyer precise in his choice of words. Could he have said "I think you're as good as any guard in the league, we're going to take care of you" and Mankins heardmoe $ than any guard in the league?

Just can't believe BB would have done that his first day at Cleveland, much less now.

besides kaczur, what young players can we put in at guard?

i don't know if kaczur fits the guard type - he's got long arms which is more suited for OT. LBs can take advantage of that.

Three draft picks, Connolly and Wendell

besides kaczur, what young players can we put in at guard?

i don't know if kaczur fits the guard type - he's got long arms which is more suited for OT. LBs can take advantage of that.

Kaczur had better fit the guard type.... all the reports I've seen have him running at LG with the starters.

I wouldnt be against the trade. Listen I like Mankins and think he is a great guard but if he wants 50-60million then a trade is unaffordable. I would love to get a good 3-4 outside backer but I would take a high second rounder in 2011 to continue this infusion of high draft picks to the roster

Don't forget Tom Curran said that the Pats offer would make Mankins either the third or fourth highest paid guard in the league depending how you look at the deal. But that is after Jahri Evans got his deal, but the Pats offered Mankins this deal before Evans got his deal. Which means that, if Curran is right, at the time the Pats offered Mankins his contract it was either the second or third best contract for a guard ever.

Assuming that Curran's info is good, I cannot fathom how the Pats gave Mankins the shaft especially since both sides seem to agree the Pats made this initial offer and Mankins never countered. So all we know is the type of initial offer the Pats made and not where they would have bargain to.
You hit the nail on the head, theres no way Mankins was getting shafted with the deal the Pats offered.

If it was only 10-20% increase that they were talking about, I am pretty sure none of us would have an issue. However, we're talking about a 400-450% increase. Mankins salary last year was just 1.4 million. (cap hit of 2.2 million). Personally, he's not in the ELITE group yet. He just doesn't have the consistency, which is disappointing as he showed the potential to be almost as good as Hannah or Hutchinson. ANd he's not gotten there yet.

Why does anyone have an issue with a player wanting to get paid more regardless of whether its 10% or 1000% more? That's his choice and the teams choice not to sign him.

Its just my opinion but I would rank Mankins as elite, top 5 at the very least. Not being as good as a hall of famer, maybe the best guard ever, like Hannah doesn't mean he's not elite.

Last edited:
The Guard position isn't as important as elite Quaterback or elite pass rusher. I just wish we would of dealt him during the draft then drafted his replacement. Nobody likes holes but I'd much rather have to replace a elite guard as opposed to elite QB. I remember Mankins draft day interview and he was just happy to compete but what got my attention the most was when they asked what would you buy first. I think he said something along the lines of get my old pickup fixed. I think he must have people in his ear agents, woman cause that doesn't sound like the Mankins from not that long ago. That being said if he brings up
Woodley i'm saying o you mean Logan that guard that got mauled during our almost perfect season who cares.

You hit the nail on the head; there's no way Mankins was getting shafted with the deal the Pats offered.

Perhaps Mankin$ felt that the new contract should take effect this year, whereas the FO felt it should take effect next year.

If that's the case, then I can understand why Mankin$ would feel shafted.

I've wanted Merriman for a while and still do. His value is at an all time low and when healthy he is arguably the best pass rusher in the game. He is primed for a huge comeback year now that he is two years removed from knee surgery, ala Tom Brady. He was still a beast in 07 after the roids so I hate having that steroid discussion. He would bring much needed intensity, physicality, swagger, leadership, and playmaking ability at OLB. We have lacked a premiere edge rusher that other teams have to scheme for. Merriman can and will be that guy.

He recently stated he's not holding out for a long term deal, but instead for stability. He either wants a guarantee that he wont be traded or wants to be dealt and get it over with. He said hes willing to play out his tender to "prove" himself again.

Its a win win for NE. If hes average you let him walk and if he dominates you can extend him. You could trade a conditional third that turns into a second based on how well he performs or Mankins for Merriman + pick. If Mankins is going to walk, you might as well try to get something to help you for him.

I just dont get how you dont address your biggest need from last year. You bring back TBC and draft Cunningham but you lose Adalius, the hope of Crable, and possibly Burgess. You have an OLB corps of TBC, Ninkovich, Cunningham, Woods, Murrell on a 3-4 team? Are you freaking kidding me? How is that an upgrade over last year? I hope they bring Crable back b/c I still see potential there, but first and foremost I want to see them go out and get Merriman.

NE really did a piss poor job addressing the issues at OLB. A team that has two locked in starters in Woodley and Harrison still spent a 2nd rounder on Worilds. We really have a bunch of JAGs there and we spent the same amount of resources as them at that position.

Tamba Hali of KC and Ahmad Brooks, of SF they are both good young OLB's not stars but good players and both will be FA's next year.

in this system no OLB not named DeMarcus Ware, James Harrison, or Elvis Dumervil, is going to have that big 12 to 15 sack season so is one year. of 7 or 8 sacks worth tradeing a all pro G for ?

i say try to work out a deal with mankins, and just let Jermaine Cunningham, play

Tamba Hali of KC and Ahmad Brooks, of SF they are both good young OLB's not stars but good players and both will be FA's next year.

in this system no OLB not named DeMarcus Ware, James Harrison, or Elvis Dumervil, is going to have that big 12 to 15 sack season so is one year. of 7 or 8 sacks worth tradeing a all pro G for ?

i say try to work out a deal with mankins, and just let Jermaine Cunningham, play

The Pats have had multiple chances to get Ahmad Brooks and have passed on him each time. Remember that the Pats could have had Brooks in the supplemental draft and passed on him. The Pats could have claimed him in 2008 after he was waived by the 49ers or after he cleared waivers. They didn't.

Hali would be a nice addition, but I don't think that the Chiefs are looking for another interior O-lineman. I don't know if they would project Mankins to OT or not. I don't think that they would pony up the money that Mankins wants.. And, call me cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs weren't on Mankins list since it was Pioli who told him to wait in 2008.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST