PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Time to flip Mankins for an OLB...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSn

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I'm actually pretty ok with the current o-line. If Kaczur latches on to LG well, he'll do really well there. We have lot's of options, I think we're ok.

OLB... not so much. We didn't lose guys we thought were money, but we lost options (in Crable and Burgess). We need more options, unless Guyton can make the switch and Woods has upped is game some more (for the record, I like Woods).

So if we could, where do we send Mankins for an OLB? Gotta be able to get someone decent for an OL-guy with his pedigree/rep. Thoughts? I know he's not trade-able as is, but that he wants out and will make it possible to send him on.

Last edited:
For the 133rd time, Mankins cannot be traded. He is not under contract to the patriots.

Trading for an OLB is fine if Belichick can find one of value. I'm sure a 2011 will be offerred.

I'm actually pretty ok with the current o-line. If Kaczur latches on to LG well, he'll do really well there. We have lot's of options, I think we're ok.

OLB... not so much. We didn't lose guys we thought were money, but we lost options (in Crable and Burgess). We need more options, unless Guyton can make the switch and Woods has upped is game some more (for the record, I like Woods).

So if we could, where do we send Mankins for an OLB? Gotta be able to get someone decent for an OL-guy with his pedigree/rep. Thoughts?

For the 133rd time, Mankins cannot be traded. He is not under contract to the patriots.

Trading for an OLB is fine if Belichick can find one of value. I'm sure a 2011 will be offerred.

I just edited my post. I think he'll sign the tender if the Pats agree to trade him.

ditto, Manny Lawson, Ahmad Brooks, Thomas Howard are all names I'd be excited to see. Any others come to mind?

If the Patriots shipped Mankins out, it would be with Mankins' agreement. That would probably mean that the other team agreed to give Mankins a contract he found acceptable.

That could easily cost Belichick the locker room.

Last edited:
I know the cowboys need some help on their offensive line. How about we trade Mankins for Ware???

Not gonna happen because you don't flip a top 5 player for a warm body replacement. And there aren't too many top ten OLB available in trade... If push comes to shove (he continues to hold out) and they are comfortable with the OL absent Mankins as pre season unfolds they may choose to move him for a 2011 draft pick that can't help them until next year. But for right now he has more value sitting on his couch until week 10 than he has in trade.

No need to panic. It coulda been worse. They could have drafted Kindle...

Last edited:

Mankins can be traded. Why else would he ask for a trade? It would require him to sign his tender, but no one is going to give the Pats value without striking a long term deal with Mankins. If Mankins is willing to be traded, the Pats certainly can trade him. It just means that Mankins has a lot of control where he goes because he can veto any trade.

That said, it will be difficult to find a decent OLB in trade for Mankins. Manny Lawson isn't a great option. We might be able to get Shawne Merriman, but he wants a big deal too.

He was given an RFA tender that he hasn't signed yet but he is still under team control. Wouldn't a trade just transfer negotiating rights to the team he's sent to?

I don't see this rumor having any truth to it. I don't see the Steelers getting rid of Woodley considering how old their defense is. Woodley is only 25 and one of the few starters who are relatively young. Their entire d-line is over 30. Farrior is in his mid-30s. James Harrison is 32. Ike Taylor and Ryan Clark are 30. The only starting defensive players they have starting under 30 are Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, and Troy Polumalu. That means they will have to turn over much of their defense in the next few years and replacing Woodley would be that much harder.

If the Patriots shipped Mankins out, it would be with Mankins' agreement. That would probably mean that the other team agreed to give Mankins a contract he found acceptable.

How would that fundamentally differ from what happened with Deion Branch?

I think that we are making things unnecessarily complicated by mixing the two issues of Mankins and the OLB need.

A) If there is a trade partner who will give us value for Mankins, then we should trade for a 2011 draft choice with the cooperation fo Mankins. We could even set the price and have Mankins' agent do the leg work.

B) If there is a trade partner with an appropriate OLB available, then we should pursue the deal, offering up a 2010 draft choice.

C) If both the above involve the same team, then that would be a convenient coincidence.

I don't see this rumor having any truth to it. I don't see the Steelers getting rid of Woodley considering how old their defense is. Woodley is only 25 and one of the few starters who are relatively young. Their entire d-line is over 30. Farrior is in his mid-30s. James Harrison is 32. Ike Taylor and Ryan Clark are 30. The only starting defensive players they have starting under 30 are Woodley, Lawrence Timmons, and Troy Polumalu. That means they will have to turn over much of their defense in the next few years and replacing Woodley would be that much harder.

Yeah, I realise that, but I like to dream.

How would that fundamentally differ from what happened with Deion Branch?

Branch was already under contract, and the players could point to that as a valid reason for the Patriots to stay firm in their position. In the case of Mankins, you're talking about a quite guy who's considered by many to be, perhaps, the most principled player on the team. For a guy like that to get the shaft over the RFA situation, you're looking at a potential problem with the other players moving forward. Why would you expect the players in the locker room to show anything approaching loyalty to the Patriots after the such a move?

What are you proposing that the FO do?

Branch was already under contract, and the players could point to that as a valid reason for the Patriots to stay firm in their position. In the case of Mankins, you're talking about a quite guy who's considered by many to be, perhaps, the most principled player on the team. For a guy like that to get the shaft over the RFA situation, you're looking at a potential problem with the other players moving forward. Why would you expect the players in the locker room to show anything approaching loyalty to the Patriots after the such a move?

How so? It wouldn't be that dissimilar to trading Deion Branch, that had no tangible effects in the locker room.

Mankins claims that the Patriots broke their promise to him, but he has yet to say what promise the Patriots broke. Mankins demands to be traded. Mankins is letting his teammates down by requesting a trade when the Patriots offered him a great deal for a LG. He is not a QB and wont get paid like one. If he wants to be traded then fine. I know the Cowboys are looking to bolster their O-Line so why dont we try to trade Mankins for Ware??

Lets do a trade for Vernon Gholston - The Jets don't need him now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes