PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Three Home Games Then the Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bump.

3-0 for the home streak and 7-2 at the bye. Not bad.

The AFC is looking pretty crowded right now, and San Diego has fallen off the cliff:

7-2 Pats
6-2 Broncos
6-3 or 5-4 Colts (still to play on MNF against the Giants)
5-2-1 Bengals
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
6-3 Steelers/Ravens winner (Steelers leading by 12 at the half)
5-3 Dolphins
5-3 Bills
5-3 Chiefs
5-3 Browns
5-4 Steelers/Ravens loser (note: the Ravens have lost to Cincinnati twice; if Pittsburgh loses they will have lost to the Ravens twice)
5-4 Chargers

I like the idea of, within a brief span, derailing (if only temporarily) every other top AFC team. For a young team like this (and with BB always their to temper it), I believe it is a marked positive for the young star struck guys to play through a noticeably tough portion of the schedule, come out on top/see the results, then be taught the golden rule: you aren't as good as they will make you think you are.

Obviously the last one needed to accomplish this mini-feat is beating Indy. Looking at the schedule Indy is, due to playing the game in the dome, maybe the toughest game remaining (at least that argument can be made for Indy). While the Colts are certainly capable of winning this game, if the Patriots of late (Chicago, Denver, Cincy) is what our A game actually looks like, I believe that A game will see us best Indy and GB. With Detroit being a dome team but playing at the Razor, I put them a step below Indy and GB in terms of difficulty in getting the W. And with SD, what I have seem of them lately (albeit subjective), if that's the team we play then a less than A game shouldn't be needed for the W (I hadn't seen SD until recently: looking shaky VS the Raiders, ok against KC, floundering against Denver, and absolutely putrid against Miami).
Our picture is then a bit brighter considering both Buff and Miami are home games (late season division games can be tough - being at home is a boost). I would have put Miami as one of the toughest games remaining (and it could be the case), however, I'm counting on Miami losing steam as the weather gets colder, having to play in Foxboro, history (or at least that's my hope).

Odd moment: With 7 games to go the Jets are the clearest, by far, incapable/should get the W against them team. Even though the Jets are a top to bottom grotesque abomination simply for being the Jets, it still feels odd that their fall has been so extreme that they would be the only game in a 7 game span to be considered "the easy win".

I definitely think we will take out Indy. BB +Revis/Browner against Luck is a mismatch.

GB has Aaron Rogers, who is imo the best qb in the league along with Brady. We have a better team than GB, but you can never count out a qb of that calibre. So I want to say a win, but it will be close.

Detroit is the one i'm worried about. Not just b/c we might lose, but b/c of injury. That Dline is scary good, and they will have quite a few of their weapons back.

I'm not as worried about Green Bay as I was a week ago after this win. This passing defense has gone from legit to scary good. Not to sound over confident but I'm starting to think this team is going to go 13-3 the rest the way.

I'm probably the only one who thinks Rodgers is over rated

I'm probably the only one who thinks Rodgers is over rated

Depends on what you exactly mean by overrated. The hype around him is a bit too much.

I would put him somewhere between Brady/Manning and Brees. What will make him more dangerous than Manning will be his athleticism and scrambling threat. It is not the secondary I am worried about, but avoiding open running lanes for him.

I'm not as worried about Green Bay as I was a week ago after this win. This passing defense has gone from legit to scary good. Not to sound over confident but I'm starting to think this team is going to go 13-3 the rest the way.

Passing D is actually ranked 14th now based on YPG

Bump.

3-0 for the home streak and 7-2 at the bye. Not bad.

The AFC is looking pretty crowded right now, and San Diego has fallen off the cliff:

7-2 Pats
6-2 Broncos
6-3 or 5-4 Colts (still to play on MNF against the Giants)
5-2-1 Bengals
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
6-3 Steelers/Ravens winner (Steelers leading by 12 at the half)
5-3 Dolphins
5-3 Bills
5-3 Chiefs
5-3 Browns
5-4 Steelers/Ravens loser (note: the Ravens have lost to Cincinnati twice; if Pittsburgh loses they will have lost to the Ravens twice)
5-4 Chargers

The Pats currently have wins against the 6-2 Broncos and 5-2-1 Bengals, and losses to the 5-3 Dolphins and 5-3 Chiefs. They still have games left against the @Colts, @Chargers, Dolphins and Bills. If they can split those 4 games and win their other 3 they should be in good shape for at least a bye.

The AFC after last night's Cleveland-Cincinnati game:

2 loss teams:

7-2 NE
6-2 Denver

3 loss teams:

6-3 Pittsburgh
6-3 Cleveland
5-3 Miami
5-3 Buffalo
5-3 Kansas City
5-3-1 Cincinnati

4 loss teams:

5-4 Baltimore
5-4 San Diego

10 teams vying for 6 playoff spots. Buffalo hosts KC this week, so one of those teams will be 6-3 and the other 5-4 after week 10. 5-3 Miami plays at 6-2 Detroit. Teams with easier games are Denver (@Oakland), Pittsburgh (@Jets) and Baltimore (hosting Tennessee).

The AFC after last night's Cleveland-Cincinnati game:

2 loss teams:

7-2 NE
6-2 Denver

3 loss teams:

6-3 Pittsburgh
6-3 Cleveland
5-3 Miami
5-3 Buffalo
5-3 Kansas City
5-3-1 Cincinnati

4 loss teams:

5-4 Baltimore
5-4 San Diego

10 teams vying for 6 playoff spots. Buffalo hosts KC this week, so one of those teams will be 6-3 and the other 5-4 after week 10. 5-3 Miami plays at 6-2 Detroit. Teams with easier games are Denver (@Oakland), Pittsburgh (@Jets) and Baltimore (hosting Tennessee).

Yeesh. The Chargers sure have taken a dump since this thread's creation.

Yeesh. The Chargers sure have taken a dump since this thread's creation.

The Bengals somehow "only" have 3 losses, plus a tie. But look at those scores:

43-17 loss to the Pats
27-0 loss to the Colts
24-3 loss to the Browns
37-37 vs. Carolina

Average score 33-14 in those 4 games, after a 3-0 start. Talk about yeesh.

The Bengals somehow "only" have 3 losses, plus a tie. But look at those scores:

43-17 loss to the Pats
27-0 loss to the Colts
24-3 loss to the Browns
37-37 vs. Carolina

Average score 33-14 in those 4 games, after a 3-0 start. Talk about yeesh.
Andy Dalton reverted back into Andy Dalton. These things are to be expected. The Chargers looked like the best team in the NFL through six weeks and now look like they'll struggle to make the wild card.

I'm feeling good about the Green Bay and San Diego games. I think that Indy and Detroit will be tougher, though there is no reason we can't beat them provided the defense plays as well as they have been, and the offense keeps producing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST