PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thoughts on #85 and the WR's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the day the Patriots could beat you running the ball, with defense or with a passing attack. It takes more than one style to win in the playoffs.

I think they're getting closer to that style of offense. This might be the year we see them pound the football more than usual.

However, I say that every year, and look what happens :confused: :bricks:

The 50,000 pound elephant in the room is the recent playoff performances. Basically the whole team theory is for Brady to have a passer rating of over 95, else they lose.

Back in the day the Patriots could beat you running the ball, with defense or with a passing attack. It takes more than one style to win in the playoffs.

In 2001 and 2004, yes. I don't think that was the case in any other year. Antowain was not good in 2003 and Dillon aged 46 years between 2004 and 2005.

I think they're getting closer to that style of offense. This might be the year we see them pound the football more than usual.

However, I say that every year, and look what happens :confused: :bricks:

You're not wrong, you're just ahead of your time. :D

Their passing game is arguably the best weapon in the league. I think they'll always predominantly feature it.

In 2001 and 2004, yes. I don't think that was the case in any other year. Antowain was not good in 2003 and Dillon aged 46 years between 2004 and 2005.

I guess in some ways that proves my point, in the championship years (2001, 2003, 2004) they played a complementary style. All the units would be solid and some games the offense would carry the day, other times it was the defense.

You're not wrong, you're just ahead of your time.

I tell people that all the time, and they never believe me :D

also, congrats on being back in the U.S.. I havent been on here as much, when did you move back?

Neither Ocho, branch are getting cut

but the real question is, what number do you guys think Moss will wear here?

Neither Ocho, branch are getting cut

but the real question is, what number do you guys think Moss will wear here?

89, because Moss coming back is about as likely as the team letting him wear a retired number.

I really don't know what to make of the WR situation.

It is not going to be a popular thought amongst posters here, but I truly wouldn't be surprised to see any one of the WR's cut (besides Welker). Sure I realize that it would be very UN-cost efficient to get rid of #85, but it does not appear as though he is getting it..at least as of yet. And let's face it, none of us want to see a repeat of the forcing the ball to Moss issue all over again.

Obviously it is too early to properly assess anyone's play, so I do not mean to "chicken-little" my post. However, if Belichick cut either Branch or Ocho tomorrow I wouldn't be shocked more than about 5 minutes. It's not about what happened last yr, or about future potential, it's about right now, THIS yr's team--and what combination is best for the 2011 NEP.

The WR position will likely be just fine no matter what, but it will be interesting to see what happens before Saturday's 53 man deadline.

The best thing that could happen would be Ochocinco getting cut. 1) he'd deserve it and 2) GREAT message to EVERYONE on th team.

Last edited:
The best thing that could happen would be Ochocinco getting cut. 1) he'd deserve it and 2) GREAT message to EVERYONE on th team.

Except that'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face, and I doubt BB would do something like that. What message, exactly, do you think that would send?

People are getting too excited about Ochocinco's poor performance. Fact of the matter is that the Pats have one of the most complicated offenses in the league and it takes some time to pick up presnap reads and adjustments. It seems pretty clear that Ochocinco is still learning it and probably overthinking it a bit. I think he will catch on in a few weeks. Not good for the start of the season, but might be good for October on.

Don't forget the guy was traded about a month ago. Everyone brings up Galloway and Moss comparisons, but Galloway had five months to learn the playbook and didn't and appeared to not care either and Moss still had four months to learn the playbook and presnap reads and adjustments even if he sat out the preseason.

I think Ochocinco will be fine in a few weeks to a month. I wasn't expecting more than a good WR who could give the Pats a little under 1,000 yards. My expectations now are lowered to about 800 yards for the season. That could fall depending how slow he continues to adapt.

As for Branch, that concerns me more. Is he struggling to get open or is he just not part of the gameplan during the preseason? It could be that the Pats are trying other things and Brady isn't targetting him by design. Or it could be that age and the endless string of injuries during his career have caught up with him.

As for Branch, that concerns me more. Is he struggling to get open or is he just not part of the gameplan during the preseason? It could be that the Pats are trying other things and Brady isn't targetting him by design. Or it could be that age and the endless string of injuries during his career have caught up with him.

Agreed. Much more concerned with Branch at this point than I am with Ocho.

Except that'd be cutting off your nose to spite your face, and I doubt BB would do something like that. What message, exactly, do you think that would send?

That you better get it or you are out. Doesn't matter if you are Chad or Scrub #7, you get it or you don't.

Someone please explain to me what Chad brings to the table. He's a taller Branch with worse hands and inaccurate route running.

Btw, bashing Branch (or is that deflection on behalf of Chad?) does not make Ocho stink less. I have far more faith in Deion than I do in Pepe.

Last edited:

Your dumb. :confused:

Why cut Ocho? He's a good receiver, strong work ethic and is our tallest receivers outside the smurfs lol :D

Give the guy some time, it takes more than 4 weeks to learn the NEP offense and their 16 different playbooks for each week.

That you better get it or you are out. Doesn't matter if you are Chad or Scrub #7, you get it or you don't.

Someone please explain to me what Chad brings to the table. He's a taller Branch with worse hands and inaccurate route running.

Btw, bashing Branch does not make Ocho stink less. I have far more faith in Deion than I do in Pepe.

Ok, I'll give you the hands but he runs good routes. Someone mentioned before that him not catching all of his passes could be from overthinking each pre-snap, route to be ran, etc. This is a very complex offense coming from the Bungals

Btw, bashing Branch does not make Ocho stink less. I have far more faith in Deion than I do in Pepe.

Ochocinco has excellent hands and crisp route running throughout his career. A couple of playoff games and training camp doesn't change that. He is still learning and trying concentrate on things. I am sure when the offense comes more naturally, he will stop dropping the ball.

As for what else he brings, he is a big physical receiver who can fight for balls. He is a better outside threat than Branch. He can be a deep threat better than Branch, but he clearly is not a consistent deep threat.

It has been a month. The guy is learning and working hard to learn the system. Give him a few more weeks. I know it sucks that he isn't mastering the system for the start of the system, but the Pats are good enough to wait 2-4 games for him to pick it up.

Last edited:
Your dumb. :confused:

Why cut Ocho? He's a good receiver, strong work ethic and is our tallest receivers outside the smurfs lol :D

Give the guy some time, it takes more than 4 weeks to learn the NEP offense and their 16 different playbooks for each week.

So sick of this learning curve excuse. Welker and Moss didn't seem to have issues. Gaffney and Bug eyes too if you think about it.

Ocho's good days have passed him by. I do not see him being much of a contributer. Hope I am wrong though.

Ok, I'll give you the hands but he runs good routes. Someone mentioned before that him not catching all of his passes could be from overthinking each pre-snap, route to be ran, etc. This is a very complex offense coming from the Bungals

There have been instances where he wasn't where he was supposed to be.

Why does this guy get every benefit of the doubt and given every excuse possible? I know...he's a "stah." (eye roll) 'Gimme a break.

Last edited:
So sick of this learning curve excuse. Welker and Moss didn't seem to have issues. Gaffney and Bug eyes too if you think about it.

Ocho's good days have passed him by. I do not see him being much of a contributer. Hope I am wrong though.

Its not an excuse, its the truth.

Did Welker and Branch come right in before a lockout that lasted over 100 days? No.... so stop being so Brash on the guy. Its not as easy as it looks.

Man, if it was up to you to chose our offense, we'd be the Jets with Sanchez and a couple and washed up grandpas out there.

I know right, I still remember Gafney, Caldwell, Moss and Welker still learning the system after the great NFL lockouts of 2006 and 2007.

Its not an excuse, its the truth.

Did Welker and Branch come right in before a lockout that lasted over 100 days? No.... so stop being so Brash on the guy. Its not as easy as it looks.

Man, if it was up to you to chose our offense, we'd be the Jets with Sanchez and a couple and washed up grandpas out there.

I would have gone after Syndey Rice....not a washed-up has-been.

New one! The lock-out excuse. Sure, timing is an issue after 100 days off. Shouldn't be as big of an issue with a seasoned super star like Chad though...right? I mean, if Julio Jones (rookie) and Lee Evans can shake off the lock-out cob-webs, surely Chad can? Shoot, jailbird Burress looks better and his "lock-up" was two years long.

As stated, I hope I am wrong. I just see nothing about him that impresses. I haven't been impressed with him in a couple of years.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore