cstjohn17

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone looked bad last night but random thoughts on the WRs:
- the WRs were junk
- 85 looks lost
- Branch is MIA
- Welker is great but if he is lining up on the outside that is not a good thing for the Patriots
- Tate looks like a pretty nice 6th or 7th option at WR but he doesn't look reliable

Looks like they are going to live between the hashes and go with a lot of 5 TE sets.

I am not going to read much into what was seen last night. Brady was forced to dump the ball off quickly and the Lions were waiting on screens. Welker and Woodhead seemed to see the most throws and they are the quick dump offs.

Ochocinco is playing in a very different system than the one he has seen most of his career, so even the drops may be attributable to his effort to figure the system out as he is forcing himself to do something out of his comfort zone and is thinking too much about it. I expect he will be okay early on but better as his comfort level grows. The fact he and Brady are talking every time you see a sideline shot tells me will fit in.

Not sure why Branch hasn't caught anything in the preseason, but I expect he will be fine as well once the regular season hits. Preseason games are designed to work on the new, so I am not surprised the tight ends and young WRs have seen more passes.

It's all about TB12. He'll find someone to get the ball to. For years, during preseason, people talk about the enhanced role of the TEs. Maybe - after what we've seen last year and the three games so far - this is actually the year TEs become featured.

The team has been scoring a lot in the last few years and I suspect the offense will be ok. The OL and WRs need to be better than Saturday night. But they will be.

1) We had one of the best passing games in the nfl in 2010.

2) We can have everyone coming back if we choose. We may choose not to bring back Tate, expecting Ochocinco and Price to pick up his reps and production.

3) We have added Ochoccinco and certainly plan for Price to be more productive than 2010.

4) Our TE's and RB's should be as good as in 2010.

5) It is NOT unreasonable to expect the passing game to be at least as good in 2011.

2) We can have everyone coming back if we choose. We may choose not to bring back Tate, expecting Ochocinco and Price to pick up his reps and production.

3) We have added Ochoccinco and certainly plan for Price to be more productive than 2010.

5) It is NOT unreasonable to expect the passing game to be at least as good in 2011.

Brady was almost otherworldly following the Browns game, and that's when the offense kicked into gear. You don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to be that good again?

Brady may not be as unworldly as in 2010. It is not unreasonable to expect others to improve.

Brady was almost otherworldly following the Browns game, and that's when the offense kicked into gear. You don't think it's unreasonable to expect him to be that good again?

I hope we can find some talent at WR with a guy in his mid 20s sooner or later....the older guys ar the ones Brady relies on and the young ones have yet to do much.

Next years draft has to produce the next WR for the decade,Brady needs a new weapon and a young one at that.

We have a lot of 30 + wide receivers with plenty of wear and tear in their legs. We need some fresh young speedy talent, guys who are NFL ready and not projects(price) or kick returners(tate). I would love to see the Patriots start using more of their high draft picks on WRs in the future, perhaps even grab a tall physical one.

Last edited:
I really don't know what to make of the WR situation.

It is not going to be a popular thought amongst posters here, but I truly wouldn't be surprised to see any one of the WR's cut (besides Welker). Sure I realize that it would be very UN-cost efficient to get rid of #85, but it does not appear as though he is getting it..at least as of yet. And let's face it, none of us want to see a repeat of the forcing the ball to Moss issue all over again.

Obviously it is too early to properly assess anyone's play, so I do not mean to "chicken-little" my post. However, if Belichick cut either Branch or Ocho tomorrow I wouldn't be shocked more than about 5 minutes. It's not about what happened last yr, or about future potential, it's about right now, THIS yr's team--and what combination is best for the 2011 NEP.

The WR position will likely be just fine no matter what, but it will be interesting to see what happens before Saturday's 53 man deadline.

For the good of the thread, I will not bring up the name Randy Moss

Oops *lolzarz*

IMO, our gameplan is too much complecated for 85 or he is just a slow-learner. we all know that the things you need to do as a WR in NE is totally different from the things you gotta do as a WR in cinci. and about Branch, i dont worry about him, he came last year and he played like he and brady never lost each other, i dont worry about him.

Lions won fair & square, but it was seen throughout the game (until we got 72-10) that the patriots and BB disrespecting the lions. best thing that can happen for our team is getting beat when it dosnt matter, they need to calm down and realize that they are not the best yet.

IMO, our gameplan is too much complecated for 85 or he is just a slow-learner. we all know that the things you need to do as a WR in NE is totally different from the things you gotta do as a WR in cinci.

Actually some 'experts' have remarked that they were surprised at how quickly ocho was picking up the offense. His main problem, especially the other night, is the inablility to catch the damn ball when it hits him in the hands. ;)

Actually some 'experts' have remarked that they were surprised at how quickly ocho was picking up the offense. His main problem, especially the other night, is the inablility to catch the damn ball when it hits him in the hands. ;)

He's used to having to chase down errant throws from Palmer. He has some inexperience catching balls that hit the numbers. It will come with time.

He's used to having to chase down errant throws from Palmer. He has some inexperience catching balls that hit the numbers. It will come with time.

Good point, but Im not worried. This is typical Pats preseason football. Im wowed by the players who will be cut next week, and annoyed with the starters. By week 2/3, I'll be chanting "In Bill we trust" :D

Would not be surprised if Branch gets cut. I don't know if he's injured or not, but he seems unable to get separation from whoever is covering him. And he doesn't play special teams at all. At least the young guys (Tate, Price, Edelman) play special teams. I can't see Ocho getting cut right now.

Lions game notwithstanding, I think Brady's gonna feast this season. We have Welker and Hernandez, two guys who are great operating in the area of the field where Brady loves to throw to. Not every defense can mimic what the Jets did in the playoffs or have a beast DL like the Lions.

Maybe we should ask the Steelers how they scout WRs?

Sanders,Brown,Wallace,Hines - Big Rapist throws a 10 yard pass and their WRs run away for a 80 yard TD.

Last edited:

The 50,000 pound elephant in the room is the recent playoff performances. Basically the whole team theory is for Brady to have a passer rating of over 95, else they lose.

Back in the day the Patriots could beat you running the ball, with defense or with a passing attack. It takes more than one style to win in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes