PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Thomas: Spat with Belichick started after Week 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought of that too, what a pity, the guy was supposed to be the key cog of our defense. So we have lost Seymour, Thomas, and Wilfork (maybe), arguably 3 best defensive players in one year. That's following the loss of Samuel, Vrable, Harrison, and Bruschi. We essentially lost top 7 defensive players in 2 years. Don't think I can ever recall a championship team disintegrate ( or self-distruct if I may) this fast, ever.
Seymour - Most people would agree that the trade was ridiculous and hurt the defense. However, it turned out that the offense lost them many games this season.

Samuel - I didn't mind Samuel leaving because I believed that Pats were going to overhaul that secondary after that super bowl loss anyway. Had I known then what I know now, I would've wanted Samuel to still be a Patriot.

Wilfork - Won't be surprised if the Pats cheap out, franchise him and trade him. Although I think he's overrated, the will just create another major need if they get rid of him. Also, there isn't anybody else on the roster or in free agency that can take his place. The whole point of the draft is to improve your team, not replace guys you lose. This used to be the way the Pats drafted.

Vrabel, Harrison and Bruschi - it was time for them to go. They were all horrible in 2008.

Thomas - Would've been the super bowl MVP had he finished what he started when he bull rushed the RT or LT of the Giants into Eli's face. Little did we know it was the start of the miracle play. Since then, he obviously didn't like going back to his role before Colvin was injured (coverage LB). He was a pass rusher playing ILB. He was coming off of an 11 sack season, yet told to play more in coverage. I don't think Thomas has lost his ability, I think we just saw a guy who was dogging it and was asking to get cut. And when he does, he will be a Jet, or go back to Baltimore and pick up right where he left off.

I'm not really mad at Thomas as most of us agree he was misused from day 1. As someone else pointed out "BB puts his players in the best position to win games", well, he obviously didn't with Thomas.

Last edited:
Well, it could either be for the better or for the worse. It just depends on what kind of offseason moves we make.

It's hard to replace so many impact players. After loss of Wilfork and Thomas, the only impact player left on the team is TBC (a free agent) or maybe Mayo. If we are unwilling to play top money for the likes of Samuel, Seymour, and Wilfork, where is the money going then?

Maybe there is more to this than just money; something tells me that the trust and respect between BB and these guys were no longer there. Hence effecting their performance. Tough to hear Samuel and Seymous badmouthing the pats organizations last couple of weeks. Now Thomas and Wilfork are taking their shots to the media.

Last edited:
It's hard to replace so many impact players. After loss of Wilfork and Thomas, the only impact player left on the team is TBC (a free agent) or maybe Mayo. If we are unwilling to play top money for the likes of Samuel, Seymour, and Wilfork, where is the money going then?

Maybe there is more to this than just money; something tells me that the trust and respect between BB and these guys were no longer there. Hence effecting their performance. Tough to hear Samuel and Seymous badmouthing the pats organizations last couple of weeks. Now Thomas and Wilfork are taking their shots to the media.

Don't kiss Wilfork goodbye just yet.

We've traded Wilfork already?

You are right, we can tag him for one very unhappy year. He made that loud and clear.

Yes, that was made clear, but what was not made clear is that the Pats and VW cannot come to a long-term agreement. We may want to wait for negotiations to begin before assuming they've fallen apart.

Certainly no reason to apologize to me. The offseason leads to these kinds of things. I think this is around when I went into hiding like a little **** last year.

It was, so man up this year....stick around for the circus, i mean FA. lol. :singing:

Strange quote here :

Adalius Thomas details falling out - Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

"“The way they coach things and do things may be totally different than how I see it,” he said. “There is a checks and balance system that really is not going to marry up because regardless of what you see as a player on that play, it really doesn’t matter if someone else sees it differently. Unless you’re on the field, there are a million things going on at one time. So when you see something and you go, you don’t have time to sit back and think or whatever."

Sounds to me like he's admitting he's just not smart enough on the field to play the way the Patriots want him to play. The game is too fast for him mentally.

Sounds true - that he is better in an attack defense (Ravens / Jets) than in the Pats 'read and react' defense. It certainly must be funner in Ravens D when you don't have to think and can just 'pin your ears back' and play. And AD did mentioned the FUN word several times in the interview. That certainly is not the Pats way - to be 'footloose and fancy free'. Everyone is told each week what they did wrong and what they can improve upon. Some guys can take it (constructive criticism) and some guys ego cannot. Same with us in the real world.

Mike Reiss has written several times about the need to improve the locker room chemistry next year. I wonder if he is referring to AD (amoung others)?

Too bad - it seemed like such a perfect marriage just a few years ago. Well anyway realistically we know that half of all marriages end in divorce. And most divorces don't end amicably. Hopefully Pats will get a mid-rounder draft pick for him.

Oh sorry, did I interrupt with football talk this fight forum thread? :rolleyes:

All this talk of BB using Thomas wrong is rubbish. I think if he was a good pass rusher Bill would have used him there. He did just that with Tully. Thomas was supposed to be an athletic freak when he got here. Able to bull rush a left tackle one play and cover a tight end or running back the next but it was all hype and never really materialized consistently. He had that one big play against San Diego in 2007 but not much else in the big play department.

Even his run stopping is a overrated. In 2007 the Ravens ran right at him and right over him.This year saw a huge decline in his skills. He was solid in 07 and 08 but a liability in 09. He just looked slow. I just happen to trust Bill's opinion that he had lost a step and was better as a early down player. If he was a Mike Vrabel locker room leader we could use that, but he's not, and we need to get rid of him. The only question is whether he has any trade value, and we should wait until free agency to deal him or just cut him next week.

Hate to revert to the philosophical waxings of Ray Lewis, but he said something to the effect that Thomas was the worst lb on the starting 4 for the ravens and that he would struggle without the same supporting cast... perhaps the Baltimore Defense with all of their parts made him better than he actually was...

I'm not really mad at Thomas as most of us agree he was misused from day 1. As someone else pointed out "BB puts his players in the best position to win games", well, he obviously didn't with Thomas.

Who are all these people who agree that Thomas was misused by day one? Maybe Belichick got more out of the guy than most coaches would have.

As for Belichick put players in the best position to win games, that is exactly what he did with Thomas in 2007. The Pats went 18-1 and the only game the Pats lost, Thomas had a monster game and lost despite his play. Last year, the Pats won 11 games without Brady. Exactly how did Belichick not put Thomas in position to win the game. Thomas' first two years here, the Pats were 24-4 when Thomas played. How exactly is that not putting Thomas in the best position for the Pats to win the game?!? By your logic, the only mistake Belichick made was moving Thomas from ILB to OLB.

I know the hot new thing on this board is to portray Belichick as a coach/GM who is in over his head and the game passed him by, but it seems pretty clear that the failure of Adalius Thomas rests mostly on the shoulders of Adalius Thomas. I only really blame Belichick and Pioli for not doing their homework better about this guy to see that he isn't that intelligent and a loose cannon. I am guessing that Belichick will not touch a player who has been coached by Rex Ryan any time soon barring if Darrell Revis ends up coming free.

Last edited:
Who are all these people who agree that Thomas was misused by day one? Maybe Belichick got more out of the guy than most coaches would have.

As for Belichick put players in the best position to win games, that is exactly what he did with Thomas in 2007. The Pats went 18-1 and the only game the Pats lost, Thomas had a monster game and lost despite his play. Last year, the Pats won 11 games without Brady. Exactly how did Belichick not put Thomas in position to win the game. By your logic, the only mistake Belichick made was moving Thomas from ILB to OLB.

Rob

Don't feed the clown.

You guys got to come to grips with the fact that this team needs to go through a transition phase with younger players. It seems lost that all the core players like Tedy, Willie, Ty, Rodney were already experienced players when the run started.

Rookies by denfinition don't do what 6 year players can. Besides if AD can't assume the role of leader, he needs to go.

And, thats why he would make then perfect NY Jet.

Exactly. AD will be all over the media talking trash about BB next season and Rex will make him a captain for games against the Pats.

It's stupid for AD to be airing dirty laundry like this. Stupid and classless.

with a team that communicates the way the pats do, sometimes it is the only way.

the pats don't take care of their own, so I don't blame the guy for putting it out there. to those players who were here for the 3 SB's, there is something to go back on.....positive memories that outweight the exit for guys like mcginest, vinatieri, etc.....but to a guy like thomas, the pats have not been much more than their last team.

much in common with tomlinson....huge salary next year that they both know they will never see......I'd do my laundry in that instance, also. better than spouting sour grapes afterwards.

For those complaining about a lack of a third round Draft pick - say hello to Adalius Thomas. He's about to become one.

Huh? What makes you say that?

mcginest, vrabel, branch, givens, seymour, wilfork, johnson, samuel, law, milloy

there's some guys in there who if it weren't for them, BB would still have zero SB's as a head coach

mcginest, vrabel, branch, givens, seymour, wilfork, johnson, samuel, law, milloy

there's some guys in there who if it weren't for them, BB would still have zero SB's as a head coach

Okay out of those guys who has excelled since they left the Pats?

Wilfork isn't gone and doesn't count...Samuel is the only guy you can really make a case for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back