PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This should not shock anyone; defense will always win championships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: This should not shock anyone

Defense will and always will win championships.

The patriots have not had a real great defense in almost a decade. Sure tom played off, but the patriots or ant team should not be 1 player or bust.

so, Pats haven't had a great defense in 10 years, and great defenses win SB.s.yet the Pats have won 3 SBs during that time. got it.

The patriots have not had a real great defense in almost a decade. Sure tom played off, but the patriots or ant team should not be 1 player or bust.

Can't disagree with this.

I don't think any Patriot fan should.

Brady had an off night against the Chargers in 2008 at Gillette, and the Patriots won that game by two scores.

Last years SB was between the offensive-oriented Saints and Colts.

This was not a shock to me. Before the game I heard so many sports-talk callers, so many pundits, who were sure the Pats would win, I just thought "I hope the Patriots themselves aren't as complacent as everybody else." I don't know that the Pats were overconfident, but it could help explain why they seemed so psyched out in the first half when things weren't going the way they were "supposed to."

This was not a shock to me. Before the game I heard so many sports-talk callers, so many pundits, who were sure the Pats would win, I just thought "I hope the Patriots themselves aren't as complacent as everybody else." I don't know that the Pats were overconfident, but it could help explain why they seemed so psyched out in the first half when things weren't going the way they were "supposed to."

They were overconfident.

I think Welker's feet schtick was about overconfidence.

Just like Brady's "Only 17 points" was overconfidence before the Super Bowl.

I'm pretty sure the Patriots were also overconfident against the Panthers and Eagles in those Super Bowls as well.

Probably the only times they weren't overconfident were against the Steelers and Rams in 2001, the Colts in 2003, the Steelers in 2004, the Chargers and Colts in 2006.

I said going into the playoffs that the only team that could beat us was us, and that was true today. We beat ourselves. We were outcoached and seem unprepared. Brady looked lost out there for some reason. Football is alot about enthusiasm and energy, we had none. Yes it was a good season but the regular season doesnt matter.

Why do you guys always have to use this company line when the Pats lose?

The Jets average starting field position was the 45 yd line, the Jets didnt have a drive all game with more than two first downs. This was a mish mash of mistakes made on special teams, offense and defense. Im not sure you can pin this on any one part of the team it was a tean wide failure.
They have the players and coaches to make it to the super bowl but they didnt execute, why they didnt and made so many mistakes is the big question.

Great regular seasons mean nothing, the Pats haave proven this twice in the past 4 years. They have also proven they can't win the big anymore without a top defense.

Exactly right. The Patriots are 16-0 at home during the regular season the past 2 years, but 0-2 in the playoffs. There has to be some sort on connection between the two losses. Both teams were very young, the game is definitely taken to a new level and maybe they just have not been ready. Whether this is a coaching problem or lack of leadership I dont know, but its definitely an issue.

Myth. Check out New Orleans defensive numbers last year. And the defense did not lose yesterday's game.

The 2009 New Orleans Saints and 2006 Indianapolis Colts say hello.

You may have missed it, but there have been several rule changes and changes in the ways referees are instructed to officiate games over the years.

We knew this defense was average last year, we knew it was average in preseason, we knew it was average all year long, and we knew the defensive line was precariously thin due to injuries before the game. But despite that the difference in the game was the Pats offense being outplayed by the Jets defense - not the other way around.

By the way, congratulations on having four threads you started sent to the Practice Squad within a 24-hour span, plus another being merged into another thread. That has to be some sort of record. Perhaps you may want to consider stepping away from the keyboard for a few days.

Well the team didn't play well enough to win, but it had little to do with the defense, they played very well, especially considering how thin the DL was.

Was not a shock to me. I've never been one of the posters who assumed we were destined for the SB, because of some big blow outs, and the the belief that the Jets couldn't beat us at home.

They were overconfident.

I think Welker's feet schtick was about overconfidence.

Just like Brady's "Only 17 points" was overconfidence before the Super Bowl.

I'm pretty sure the Patriots were also overconfident against the Panthers and Eagles in those Super Bowls as well.

Probably the only times they weren't overconfident were against the Steelers and Rams in 2001, the Colts in 2003, the Steelers in 2004, the Chargers and Colts in 2006.

No, disrespect but If I remember correctly, you put the Jets offense on the N.E. 30,30, and 10. Starting with that field position gave them 21pts. It seems field position was a huge problem , more than over confidence.

Last edited:

No, disrespect but If I remember correctly, you put the Jets offense on the N.E. 30,30, and 10. Starting with that field position gave them 21pts. It seems field position was a huge problem , more than over confidence.

After the interception they pushed the Jets back resulting in a missed FG also, given the field position the Jets had all they the D played well.

After the interception they pushed the Jets back resulting in a missed FG also, given the field position the Jets had all they the D played well.

Your D played well enough to win thats for sure, considering the short field, and their experience. 7pts loss cant be held to the D considering the position they were put in with field position. To me it seemed SP and O, had a little more to do with it.

The 2009 Saints said hi

Their defense was average at best most of the season but still won it all

Difference is that Brees didn't crap the bed in the playoffs and won despite his defense bending....Brady crapped the bed,weird to say that but he did.

The 2009 Saints said hi

Difference is that Brees didn't crap the bed in the playoffs and won despite his defense bending....Brady crapped the bed,weird to say that but he did.

I may have to agree with you here PATRIOTSFANINPA, but Brees did do the same vs the Bears in 2006, they all mess up.

At the end of the day, there were too many injuries for the 2010 New England Patriots to overcome:

Offense
Stephen Neal (starter)
Nick Kaczur
Kevin Faulk

Defense
Leigh Bodden (starter)
Ty Warren (starter)
Ron Brace
Brandon McGowan
Jonathan Wilhite
Mike Wright

Special Teams
Stephen Gostkowski

The 2009 Saints said hi

Saints were the exception not the rule.

No disrespect really meant to the Jets, but no matter how badly the offense played, we're talking about an abysmal offense in the Jets currently. The Colts!! of all teams held them to 17 points. The defense did NOT put pressure on Sanchez on 3rd down, he had several seconds to throw for big gainers. Our pass rush was absolutely non-existent against one of the weakest QBs in the league. The fact that they held their own early on was much more a product of Sanchez's suckage than anything else. I do give credit to the D and I think they played as wella s they can be expected to, BUT I'm saying we need a better defense.

Go back to the last decade and look at the MANY playoff games that the offense sputtered like yesterday.

Here's the list:

Raiders 01
Steelers 01
Rams 01
Titans 03
Chargers 06
Chargers 07
Giants 07

That's 7 games, and the Patriots record in those games was 6-1, and really it should have been 7-0 were it not for some incredibly opportune moments (Manning scrambling out of a sack to Tyree).

Mind you, I am not saying the Patriots used to rely on D. I have argued the exact opposite in many instances. The defense in fact has floundered and been saved by the offense other times.

Panthers 03
Steelers 04
Colts 06

In these games, the Patriots went 2-1, but the offense saved the Ds bacon.

It's pointless to go back and see what the Patriots used to win with, because they used to win with complementary teams, each unit picked the other up, including special teams with Troy Brown returning a punt for a TD or blocking a FG for a TD.

People wonder where the magic has gone. It's not a mystery. If you put this young defense up against the Titans back in 2003, the Patriots do NOT win their second Super Bowl. The offense maybe wasn't as spectacular then, but I would feel somewhat more secure going into a game with Troy Brown, Givens, Branch, and Patten than I would with Welker, Tate, old man Branch and Edelman.

This team is not as good as those teams, but people sit here arguing whether the magic is lost. I'll tell you what is lost, a pass rush and grizzled veteran leadership. But the positive thing is that the Patriots may actually develop these things.

Put it this way, that Pat Chung fake punt would never have occurred in the past. Now that's youth for you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents