PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This explains how we are feeling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

What utter crap. Shaughnessy knows about as much about football as Winnie the Pooh. And the last time I checked, no one has yet written a formal definition of what constitutes a football "dynasty." This team hasn't had a losing season since 2000 and still has the key elements in place to bounce back. Succumb to that smug moron's negativity if you want, but I ain't buying into it.

The Patriots are victims of their own undoing. Unproductive draft picks after unproductive draft picks have hurt the team in some way. At some point, you must retool or replenish your talent pool over time. But there must be a certain level of success from these drafts. If not, this is what will happen at some point. You no longer are a great team, you're an above average team or you just miss that mediocre tag.

I was down on the defense from the start... The lack of a consistent pass rush will do that to you. Yes, I saw it as that big of a glaring weakness. Conversely, I figured the offense would come around. But I didn't suspect that the offensive line was this weak. I guess it got progressively worst over the regular season and I just didn't notice. But the thing that really bothers me is the consistent failures of New England's off-season signings and trades. Bodden and Banta-Cain were motived being in contract years, and McGowan did well but was eventually benched.

Leigh Bodden
Shawn Springs
Joey Galloway (released)
Derrick Burgess (for a 2010 third and a fifth round pick)
Tully Banta-Cain
Brandon McGowan
Fred Taylor
Chris Baker
Greg Lewis and a 2010 seventh round pick (for a 2009 fifth round pick) (released)
Alex Smith (for a 2010 fifth round pick) (released)
Michael Matthews* (for a conditional 2011 pick) (waived)

* Condition wasn't met so Patriots retain the pick.

The signing Belichick probably regrets... Springs
The acquisition Belichick probably regrets... Burgess
The signing Belichick would still do... McGowan
The trade Belichick probably should make... Maroney

It's so cliche to believe that as long as the team has Belichick and Brady, we're alright. Well, I'm beginning to see how tired that sounds. Because the Patriots need to hire a new director of player personnel, a head scout and a general manager. Or is Belichick wearing all of these hats? This is the root of one problem. For instance, Belichick admitted that a mistake was made in drafting Bo Ruud over Guyton. Geez Louise.

Bill Belichick Press Conference

Outstanding post.

The groceries Bill the Shopper has bought for us are rancid; the meals Bill the Cook has prepared are putrid.

This FO & Coaching Staff needs an immediate, Top-to-Bottom overhaul. The problem is, is Krafty too blinded by the $$ in his eyes, and is Bill to blinded by his arrogance, to finally see the light?

Shanknancy: even pigheaded fans must acknowledge the dynasty is over

End of an era - The Boston Globe

So if you don't believe the dynasty is over, what does that make you?

Last edited:
Anyone who posts a Shaughnessey piece so reverently should be suspended from the board for a week. Just on principle.

they were saying the same kinds of things after the 2002 season......and I believe they are in better shape now than they were at that point.

It amazes me how these people get their jobs- i mean come on now did he really think that this team would win every game and superbowl -times change players age new younger players need to come in you take the good with the bad(sometimes ugly). Of course the era is over every year an era ends, but jeez they didn't dismantle the team and blow up the stadium did they.

The Pats run has been over before. 2002, 2005, 2007, 2008, this year. Except it never actually does end because when something disappointing happens they seem to always bounce back the next year. I think the overreacting is a bit ridiculous. They had a bad loss in the first round of the playoffs. The fact that the loss took place in the PLAYOFFS shows that this team is still pretty good. They just need to rest, re-load, and improve in a few areas. I'm sure they'll make a few big signings and hopefully they can have a solid draft. Once the offseason comes and goes and the 2010 season rolls around I'm sure we'll all feel good about our chances to win it all again.

The Patriots are victims of their own undoing. Unproductive draft picks after unproductive draft picks have hurt the team in some way. At some point, you must retool or replenish your talent pool over time. But there must be a certain level of success from these drafts. If not, this is what will happen at some point. You no longer are a great team, you're an above average team or you just miss that mediocre tag.

I was down on the defense from the start... The lack of a consistent pass rush will do that to you. Yes, I saw it as that big of a glaring weakness. Conversely, I figured the offense would come around. But I didn't suspect that the offensive line was this weak. I guess it got progressively worst over the regular season and I just didn't notice. But the thing that really bothers me is the consistent failures of New England's off-season signings and trades. Bodden and Banta-Cain were motived being in contract years, and McGowan did well but was eventually benched.

Leigh Bodden
Shawn Springs
Joey Galloway (released)
Derrick Burgess (for a 2010 third and a fifth round pick)
Tully Banta-Cain
Brandon McGowan
Fred Taylor
Chris Baker
Greg Lewis and a 2010 seventh round pick (for a 2009 fifth round pick) (released)
Alex Smith (for a 2010 fifth round pick) (released)
Michael Matthews* (for a conditional 2011 pick) (waived)

* Condition wasn't met so Patriots retain the pick.

The signing Belichick probably regrets... Springs
The acquisition Belichick probably regrets... Burgess
The signing Belichick would still do... McGowan
The trade Belichick probably should make... Maroney

It's so cliche to believe that as long as the team has Belichick and Brady, we're alright. Well, I'm beginning to see how tired that sounds. Because the Patriots need to hire a new director of player personnel, a head scout and a general manager. Or is Belichick wearing all of these hats? This is the root of one problem. For instance, Belichick admitted that a mistake was made in drafting Bo Ruud over Guyton. Geez Louise.

Bill Belichick Press Conference

Great post. Conversely you see the Jets draft picks the past 4 years, and they have done quite well.

2009 - Sanchez, Greene
2008 - Gholsten was a bust, but Keller and Lowery solid picks
2007 - Revis, and Harris home run
2006 - Ferguson and Mangold, Brad Smith and Leon Washington in the 4th round. Another home run.

Outstanding post.

The groceries Bill the Shopper has bought for us are rancid; the meals Bill the Cook has prepared are putrid.

This FO & Coaching Staff needs an immediate, Top-to-Bottom overhaul. The problem is, is Krafty too blinded by the $$ in his eyes, and is Bill to blinded by his arrogance, to finally see the light?

Thanks.

For me, the season was over when they'd lost to Indianapolis. Because that game would've put them in the driver's seat for the second seed.

I like the young talent in the secondary, Butler, Chung and McGowan are likely keepers. Because they provide promise on defense and special teams. Vollmer was a draft steal, and Hoyer seems as if he could be a legitimate backup at quarterback with more polish.

Personally, I'll like to see Belichick relinquish more of his responsibilities--hire the right coordinators. So that'll mean spending more money. The Patriots are entering a new decade. Why not begin a new dynasty?

they were saying the same kinds of things after the 2002 season......and I believe they are in better shape now than they were at that point.

Completely agree, and look at what happened in the 2 years after that...

Reminds me of something...

Back in '96 (when I was still more of a Packers fan), the Packers were embarrassed by the Cowpokes on a Monday Night game. Remember back then that the Packers were good but could never seem to get past Dallas, and a lot of people thought that game would be the test as to whether GB would finally get over the hump.

The next day in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, one of their columnists started his spiel with "Last night proved why the Packers aren't going to the Super Bowl this year." I stopped reading after that first sentence.

Needless to say, he turned out to be wrong.

One of the things sports pundits tell you is never trust a guy who makes a decision about his career right after the season ends. The same can be said of pundits. The Pats were embarrassed yesterday, no doubt about it, but I'm not ready to declare the team has returned to the Rod Rust era just yet. Sheesh.

Great post. Conversely you see the Jets draft picks the past 4 years, and they have done quite well.

2009 - Sanchez, Greene
2008 - Gholsten was a bust, but Keller and Lowery solid picks
2007 - Revis, and Harris home run
2006 - Ferguson and Mangold, Brad Smith and Leon Washington in the 4th round. Another home run.

Thanks.

The Jets are aggressive when it has come to drafting in recent years. But I warn that New York isn't the model to necessarily follow. As I'd said before, when was the last time the Jets reached a Super Bowl. Exactly. Not in a long time. It isn't merely about having the talent. It begins at the top first. When you've everything in order from top to bottom. Ownership, head coach and coaching staff, coordinators, general manager, scouts, talented players, fan base, etc. Then you might begin to see progression, Super Bowl appearances.

And enough isn't made of New England's miscue in not resigning Jabar Gaffney. This is one that I'd wondered throughout the entire season.

We let a reasonably productive Gaffney go in favor of an older veteran in Galloway. I mean Gaffney didn't have a bad season with Denver.

He started seven out of sixteen games, and had fifty-four receptions, seven hundred and thirty-two yards and two touchdowns. Yeah, we couldn't have used that from our third wide receiver spot.

Last edited:
Reminds me of something...

Back in '96 (when I was still more of a Packers fan), the Packers were embarrassed by the Cowpokes on a Monday Night game. Remember back then that the Packers were good but could never seem to get past Dallas, and a lot of people thought that game would be the test as to whether GB would finally get over the hump.

The next day in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, one of their columnists started his spiel with "Last night proved why the Packers aren't going to the Super Bowl this year." I stopped reading after that first sentence.

Needless to say, he turned out to be wrong.

But Lord Farvequad didn't have to play Dallas in the POs that year; Carolina eliminated them already. Kinda like the Bruins winning Stanley Cups without having to beat the Canadiens.

But Lord Farvequad didn't have to play Dallas in the POs that year; Carolina eliminated them already. Kinda like the Bruins winning Stanley Cups without having to beat the Canadiens.

Yeah but Dallas would have had to play at Green Bay, which would have made a world of difference (as it did the next year.)

But that's really not the point. The point is the day after a bad loss you're going to feel bad about the team and not in the best frame of mind to make such long-reaching judgments. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back