PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This and That (High Anxiety)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1. Off the Rails - One of the things you have to love about the NFL is that it can quickly turn a mature, reasonably intelligent, mild mannered adult man (or,if you can't find one of those, you could substitute me because this is what actually happened) into a stark raving lunatic. Sunday was the Chinese Water Torture Effect, the steady drip-drip-drip of madcap pass defense, red zone ineptitude and dumb penalties. And, finally, we're completely off the rails, now screaming at an inanimate object manufactured in Japan, the Unblinking Big Eye that sends football into my home every week. This was not an especially proud moment for your humble correspondent, but it's happened before and will in all likelihood happen again. (Ed. note - matters deteriorated to the point where the unfailingly patient and understanding Mrs. Zeus exited the family room in search of an oasis of serenity out of earshot from her deranged spouse. We've been at this for a long time so I'm almost certain that she would tell you herself that she felt her chances for a peaceful afternoon of football viewing were in serious jeopardy once she saw the visage of Referee Triplette appear on the screen.) Anyway, the Patriots won and they're 10-3. So it was a good day.

2. Penalty Box - The NE defense really hurt themselves with penalties on Sunday.

• The 11 yard pass interference foul committed by McCourty came on 3rd and 8 from the Redskins 8 yard line. Not good situational football - all that was needed was a sure tackle and NE gets the ball in pretty good field position holding a 14-3 lead. This drive culminated in the Gaffney TD.
  • The Carter roughing-the-passer penalty negated the McCourty pick. Rather than NE ball at their own 38, the Redskins were 1st and 10 at the NE 11, leading to a 25 yard FG.
  • Wilfork's unnecessary roughness foul was inexcusable for a veteran player, turning what would have been 3rd and 14 at the NE 33 to 1st and 10 on the 18, eventually resulting in the Anderson TD.
I'm not saying these were bad calls (though the Carter penalty was hard to take). Rather, they represented three significant mistakes by the D that helped the Redskins put points on the board. Without the penalties, they don't put up 27 points, we've gotten a better (no, not great) defensive performance and a far more comfortable win.

3. Triplette Vision - Watching a game refereed by Team Triplette can actually distort the viewer's sense of time and reality. It's a bit like someone spiked the punch with a slow-acting hallucinogen. Things start out normally enough but then you start to drift. Pretty soon, full-blown weirdness has taken over and the game, by now buried in a veritable avalanche of yellow handkerchiefs, is barely recognizable as football. After three hours, you become aware that somewhere along the way, you have descended into utter madness, that the furniture is all broken and the TV has been pushed through the window out into the street and you no longer have any idea of what you were doing here in the first place. (Okay, I got a little carried away here, but you get the idea. At least, I hope you do.)

4. Much Ado about Nothing - Quite predictably, the Brady-Tiquan-O'Brien contretemps has quickly become the most stupendously overblown story in recent memory. First, the normally reasonable Greg Bedard speculated that Brady blew his stack because of years of mounting frustration over BB's inability to draft a competent NFL wide receiver. Or years of mounting frustration over BB's inability to field a competent pass defense. Or something. But it was years of frustration. I guess.

But the Epicenter of the Media Frenzy was found on the Sports Hub where Felger managed to work Massarotti into such a lather that he sounded like an already hyperactive toddler who had been force-fed an imperial gallon of espresso with a Red Bull chaser, his voice getting higher and higher until (mercifully) it disappeared into dog whistle territory. Massarotti's moral indignation over the Brady/Belichick reign of terror in which the coach and QB have formed a Secret Club to exclusion of other coaches and players was as overheated as it was monumentally stupid.

5. A Cautionary Note to Tim Tebow and Cam Newton - Jim Plunkett once said that while there are many young running QBs, there are no old running QBs. Kurt Warner recently said that guys like Tom Brady have longer careers because they rely on their football intelligence, vision and decision-making rather their athleticism (good thing for TB). I don't mean to detract from the performance of two pretty exciting players, but their future success will depend in large measure on their ability to develop the mental aspect of their game.

6. Tebow Shuffle - Like the Wildcat, the Bronco's offense requires that you defend all eleven players in the running game. Unlike the Wildcat, you won't have someone purely ornamental like Mark Sanchez split wide on the line of scrimmage picking his nose. So you really do have to defend all eleven players. In the passing game, keeping Tebow in the pocket as well as not bailing on pass coverage responsibilities at the first sign of Tebow pulling the ball down will be the keys. Easier said than done - as obvious as it seems, teams are having difficulty with it.

7. John Elway continues to squirm over the runaway freight train that is Tebow-Mania. Elway has the pained look of a man being forced by circumstances beyond his control to do something he profoundly dislikes and knows he will someday regret. And both Elway and head coach John Fox seem to choose their words very carefully, struggling to find the right way to convey their conflicted feelings about the unorthodox QB. Elway knows what made him successful and it's not something he sees anywhere of the current Bronco roster. Thinking outside the box does not come easily to the Flat Earth Society types who populate NFL front offices. Young Mr. Tebow will find himself on a very short leash as time goes on because it's apparent that this most definitely is not The Long Term Plan in Denver.

8. No Brain, No Pain - The Steelers dodged a huge bullet last week when Big Ben went full Gumby by miraculously sustaining only a grade 1 (least severe) high ankle sprain in what initially looked to be a far more serious injury. Big Ben seems to revel in the 18-20 serious injuries he suffers each and every season, although someone whose leg can be tied in knots like that with out any apparent serious consequences either can't be 100% human or has some seriously faulty wiring in the pain centers hidden in the deep recesses of his armor-plated cranium.

9. Lots of respect here for the Steelers defense except that James Harrison and Ryan Clark are two of the biggest head-hunters in the NFL today. That's why the one game suspension Harrison is welcome news. Harrison seems to believe that as long as he is in technical compliance with the rules (or at least his murky interpretation of them), it's okay to try to separate an opponent from his head. Harrison says he's not changing the way he plays. There's no place in the NFL for a serial offender who has no intention of either understanding or complying with the rules. There is already talk of a far more serious suspension should Harrison (or Ndamukong Suh) run afoul of the law again.

10. Could the jets Be Any Luckier? They came into Week 14 behind three teams (Bengals, Raiders, Titans) in the wild card race, all of whom lost. Especially galling was the Bengals' loss to Houston. Galling because Cincinnati gave up a nine point lead in the 4th quarter. Galling because they were victimized by two brutal calls in the final two minutes (an outrageously poor spot that cost the Bengals a first down and a ticky-tack pass interference call that set up the game winning score with two seconds left). And especially galling because a Texans loss would have put the Patriots clearly in the driver's seat to secure a first round bye. Still, it may not be too late for Truth, Justice and the American Way to triumph over Gluttony, Sloth and (Podiatric) Lust and deprive a playoff berth to the foul green denizens of the New Jersey swamps. Remaining games are with the Eagles (with QB Vick back in place of the scatter-armed Vince Young), the newly energized Giants (who hate the jets almost as much as we do) and the suddenly Sparano-less Dolphins (who will be hoping to avoid injuries that would impinge on their off-season golf - see Week 17 vs. NE last year). Hmmm, on second thought, that last one doesn't sound so great.

11. So You Think You've Got Problems - Two weeks, two excruciating losses for the Cowboys. Blowing a twelve point lead with less than six minutes left and then having the potential tying FG blocked after kicker Dan Bailey's second consecutive disastrous flirtation with the Ice Follies - well, that's a particularly gruesome way to lose a football game. If I were a Cowboy fan, I'd burn my season tickets, take a sledge hammer to my TV and look for a new hobby that doesn't involve so much wear and tear on the central nervous system. Maybe something like stamp collecting.

12. Denver has been a House of Horrors over the years for the Patriots. Given the hype and the otherworldly/metaphysical implications of Sunday's game, I may need to be medicated, sedated or just plan rendered unconscious to survive this one with my wits intact. One thing I do not want to hear after the game is the "it was good enough this week but it won't be good enough in the future" lament we've heard for the last two weeks. It's time to tighten all the screws and ramp up the intensity. It is, after all, a Hat and T-Shirt Game.

Last edited:
My problem with normally prim & proper Mrs PWP is the reverse. Pats make a mistake as happens all too often on D these years and Mrs P launches a totally uncharacteristic F bomb fusillade. Since nobody knows her here this will not shock those who know her.

Brady & athleticism. Lost in all the Brady navel lint analysis is the observable fact that he is excellent this season in slipping away from pressure and the pass rush and most importantly subsequently making these out of the pocket plays.

Jets Luck as the season continues has become a constant like cold winter weather. It's spread beyond their on field opponents self destructing (e.g. not one but two different opponents missing kick offs that resulted in easy Jets scores for a W) to now having the half dozen guys in front of them all take the pipe vs other opponents. Impressive.

As to the Denver House of Horrors, can we expect BB to take another safety Sunday?

The game last sunday if played on Sun or Mon night would probably cause inability to sleep, only quelled by a couple of Valiums... thus it validated my continual cry for all games to be played at 1:00 PM or at the latest 4:15 PM...

It creates all of the emotions that you describe... with the added layer of nail biting and craving of carbs..

Fortunately have realized to to maintain what little sanity that I have left will only be infrindged upon if I listen to Felger and Mazz.. so I opt for very staticky 98.5 from 6:00 AM to 2:00 PM then listen to Ordway/Holly..

The idiotic banter that sports talk radio has been reduced to, makes me crave a higher level of intelligence.. thank god for the IPOD..

Triplette is pretty much like most of the sports radio mediots, it has become more about them than their assigned task and subsequent message.. they called a really crappy game.

The BOB/Brady blow up is a minor thing in the world of sports, but it was fueled by the ratings game that many are involved in.. they have nothing really negative to report, thus they need salicious stories. The same dynamic will happen this week in all of the Tebow hype... slow week for sports, thus they all need some type of savior..

One of the most well written posts ever. Keep up the good work.

LMAO at those instances mentioned......Great writing Zeus....

Johnny Conquer MUST have a twin......:D

Excellent job, Zeus. You can sign me up for that creative writing course when you put it together. You elevate the bar.

3 What happened with Triplett is what I'd call the cascade effect. The bad call on Carter necessitated the bad call on Fletcher, which necessitated the marginal call on Wilfolk. Again, from my point of view, its not so much the individual calls that are made. Players make bad plays, Coaches make bad decisions, why should we demand that officials be the only ones on the field not allowed to make a mistake. My problem is more with the seemingly arbitrary nature of some of these calls.

4. Your description of Mazzerotti was priceless....and accurate. The incessant need for these guys to utilize speculation to CREATE a story where one doesn't exist is frustrating sometimes.

5. As a former coach, I am REALLY looking forward to seeing how the Pats are going to defend the unique challenges the Denver offense presents. Its a very hard thing to do when you can't play it live in practice. And for that reason, I'm expecting a shaky start for the Pats D this week until they get used to seeing what they practiced done at game speed.

8. One of my pet peeves. Rothlessberger is the new Steve Mcnair. The QB who always seems to be overcoming one highly publicized injury after another. His "toughness" praised to the Gods. While Brady is viewed as soft and we only hear about his injuries when they report on the surgery after the season :rolleyes:

10 No the Jets have been playing under a lucky star these last few years. Too bad they will end up having nothing to show for it, when the pendulum starts to swing back. :D And you are right the Bengals were royally screwed by the refs

11. I only wish that the Jets could be suffering the kind of year that Dallas is, though the Cowboys would have been my second choice for having a season they so richly deserves

Once again great job.

My problem with normally prim & proper Mrs PWP is the reverse. Pats make a mistake as happens all too often on D these years and Mrs P launches a totally uncharacteristic F bomb fusillade. Since nobody knows her here this will not shock those who know her.

Brady & athleticism. Lost in all the Brady navel lint analysis is the observable fact that he is excellent this season in slipping away from pressure and the pass rush and most importantly subsequently making these out of the pocket plays.

Jets Luck as the season continues has become a constant like cold winter weather. It's spread beyond their on field opponents self destructing (e.g. not one but two different opponents missing kick offs that resulted in easy Jets scores for a W) to now having the half dozen guys in front of them all take the pipe vs other opponents. Impressive.

As to the Denver House of Horrors, can we expect BB to take another safety Sunday?

Still chuckling about the "F bomb fusillade."

10 No the Jets have been playing under a lucky star these last few years. Too bad they will end up having nothing to show for it, when the pendulum starts to swing back. :D And you are right the Bengals were royally screwed by the refs

It occurred to me the other day that if we simply had converted 4th and 2 in Indianapolis in 2009, the Colts need another week to clinch the #1 seed, and the Jets miss the playoffs.

How freaking lucky can a team be?

1. Off the Rails - One of the things you have to love about the NFL is that it can quickly turn a mature, reasonably intelligent, mild mannered adult man (or,if you can't find one of those, you could substitute me because this is what actually happened) into a stark raving lunatic. Sunday was the Chinese Water Torture Effect, the steady drip-drip-drip of madcap pass defense, red zone ineptitude and dumb penalties. And, finally, we're completely off the rails, now screaming at an inanimate object manufactured in Japan, the Unblinking Big Eye that sends football into my home every week. This was not an especially proud moment for your humble correspondent, but it's happened before and will in all likelihood happen again. (Ed. note - matters deteriorated to the point where the unfailingly patient and understanding Mrs. Zeus exited the family room in search of an oasis of serenity out of earshot from her deranged spouse.
After watching the 2011 New England Patriots defensive secondary this season, I would highly recommend keeping the Misses away from the viewing area for the remainder of the season.

Has the warranty expired on your television? :rolleyes:

4. Much Ado about Nothing - Quite predictably, the Brady-Tiquan-O'Brien contretemps has quickly become the most stupendously overblown story in recent memory......

Timothy Tebow says hi!

4. Much Ado about Nothing - Quite predictably, the Brady-Tiquan-O'Brien contretemps has quickly become the most stupendously overblown story in recent memory.

The more interesting story was that Underwood, signed off the street days before, was on the field in crunch time ahead of Ocho.

The more interesting story was that Underwood, signed off the street days before, was on the field in crunch time ahead of Ocho.

What the heck are you talking about? He was active for at least the past 3 weeks.

What the heck are you talking about? He was active for at least the past 3 weeks.

Actually he was cut and re-signed a couple of times, but the point is that a UDFA was playing ahead of 85.

Actually he was cut and re-signed a couple of times, but the point is that a UDFA was playing ahead of 85.

Sorry. He played in the Eagles and Colts games right before the Redskins game. He was in training camp all the way through.

That does not equal "signed off the street days before".

Let's be careful out there.

But the Epicenter of the Media Frenzy was found on the Sports Hub where Felger managed to work Massarotti into such a lather that he sounded like an already hyperactive toddler who had been force-fed an imperial gallon of espresso with a Red Bull chaser, his voice getting higher and higher until (mercifully) it disappeared into dog whistle territory. Massarotti's moral indignation over the Brady/Belichick reign of terror in which the coach and QB have formed a Secret Club to exclusion of other coaches and players was as overheated as it was monumentally stupid

This had me rofl, I thought Wiggy did a good job yesterday of putting it in perspective for Mazz but it was too late, Mazz already went off the deep end.

Sorry. He played in the Eagles and Colts games right before the Redskins game. He was in training camp all the way through.

That does not equal "signed off the street days before".

Let's be careful out there.

Underwood was an undrafted FA in camp, has been cut twice since then, was on the street a month ago, but played (and not too well) at the end of the game while Branch was hurt and 85 was on the bench. The point is the shaky depth of the WR position. Should be of some interest given the importance of the passing game and Branch and Welker both limited today with injuries.

Good points all around, and great writing.

Now, the last point about the Denver game is worthy of mention because by all means we should not win, based on our gut feeling going into that stadium. However, this season has really been one of opposites.

We thought the toughest games on our schedule would be the Jets twice, Indy, and SD. None of those were very difficult. And everyone swore the Pats-Jets would split.

Two automatic wins against Buffalo, right?

No way the G-Men break our home winning streak, as this is our vengeance game to prove Eli's last second-heroics were a fluke.

We own Pittsburgh. Take that game to the bank.

Shanahan is in Brady's head.

In conclusion, if the Pats beat Denver, it will be a fitting end to a season that saw many trends come to a close.

Zeus is a god:)....or is that redundant?:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Back