PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This and That (Bye Week Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeus

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
When the season started, I had intended to do this more frequently. But one of the benefits of laboring in obscurity is that no one notices when you are missing. Still, it seems that the prospect of bye week has fried the synapses and generally calcified the brains of the denizens of PatsFans.com (this evidenced by the Likes vs. Dislikes thread as well as Chapter 67 of Whither Ochocinco). So in the hopes of stimulating discussion of other football matters, I offer some thoughts on This and That ...

1. Regarding L'Affaire Ochocinco: the draft picks are gone, the contract is the contract and the money has already been spent. None of that matters now (except to the legions of professional armchair second-guessers). One of the things that distinguishes BB from his fellow coaches is that his personnel and game strategy decisions are made without regard to how a player was acquired or how much he is paid. Ochocinco will be targeted more if and when he has demonstrated the ability to do his job and the game plan calls for it. If the team continues winning, I don't really care whether he (or any one else) has 0 or 15 receptions.

2. Fat Rex's comments that he would have won at least 2 Superbowls had he been hired as coach of the Chargers in 2007 appear to have jolted Coach Norville out of a decades long catatonic stupor. Well good for you, Norv! Trash-talking does not come naturally to Norv so his retort sounded a bit like Red Sox owner John Henry trying to perform a Lady Gaga song.

3. As for Fat Rex, we once again find his foot firmly entrenched in his cavernous mouth. What do we really know about Coach Ryan? He likes feet, he likes to eat and he can't stop talking. Just what was it about Rex's upbringing that brought about this curious psychological foot fetish/oral fixation pathology? Perhaps the fact that the only time he isn't saying something stupid is when he's eating accounts for his gargantuan desire for things caloric - kind of an inbred defense mechanism. (In a humanitarian vein, one also has to wonder about the lingering physical and psychological effects on Mrs. Coach Buddy due to the inconceivable trauma of having birthed Rex and Rob within minutes of each other. As Bart Simpson would say, ay caramba!)

4. Jay Cutler says "f--- you!" to Mike Martz? Hard to argue that Martz didn't have it coming. Cutler isn't the first QB that Martz has tried to kill. But then again, who says that you have to even try to block for the QB?

6. TV viewers: how often have you seen the backs of old friends Asante Samuel and Brandon Meriwether as they chase opponents down the field all the way to the end zone? I still love the Deion Sanders quote on Samuel: "If you can't cover, you have to tackle. If you can't tackle, you have to cover. But you can't not do both."

7. Environmental Protection Agency Hazardous Waste Site Warning Notice - the NFL network will show "Top Ten brettfavre Games" at 10:00 Saturday night. If you cannot stay away from your television altogether (safest course of action), you might wish to have Flight Discomfort Bags nearby. Or perhaps wear one of those Hazmat suits.

8. Credit Where Credit is Due Department: though he may get away with a good bit more clutching and grabbing than other DBs, Darrelle Revis is a legitimately great player. Good thing for the jets, because absent Revis, they would be underdogs to the loser of the Army-Navy game.

9. Speaking of Revis, fellow jets CB and Planned Parenthood spokesperson Antonio (Butthead) Cromartie is hobbled by a groin injury. Football related or sustained in the furtherance of his desire to perpetuate the human species? Discuss ...

10. Loss of perspective (Sporting Press Division) - read and heard while perusing NFL news sources recently:

• Will undefeated Lions face undefeated Packers on Thanksgiving? (last week)
  • Can Packers have perfect season? (this week)
  • Dream Team Eagles (2-4) now team to beat in NFC East after edging Redskins
  • Sanchez: Jets back on track after beating Dolphins
  • NFL Network: Aaron Rogers surpasses brettfrave as greatest QB in Packer history
Can't we all just take a breath before we say something else stupid?

Last edited:
Excellent Zeus....are you PFK's younger and smarter brother?(lol)......you have to do this once a week,now,ya know:rocker:

Nice read thanks zeus, colorfully written.

You summed up the whole OchoCinco situation perfectly, like a nail in a coffin.

Last edited:
Well written, man. I'm in total agreement on the Ocho sentiment. I'd love to see the guy take off. I'm fine if he doesn't. Was a great add for the value, and it's a win if he hits his stride and it was a reasonable cost if he doesn't.

Based on the content, I assume item #5's header was "Summary of all intelligent or mature comments from Jets players and coaches to the media this week".

-jg

Based on the content, I assume item #5's header was "Summary of all intelligent or mature comments from Jets players and coaches to the media this week".

-jg

Sure, I'll go that that. Probably better than just saying "oops."

Last edited:
Great read Zeus !

Are you Johnny Conquer's twin brother ?

Great post. We share a lot of the same thoughts. While we all wanted Ocho to have 1200+ yards this year and 80+ catches that just isn't realistic. However, if Deion Branch goes down I'm a lot happier having Ocho fill his spot than Taylor Price.

i do miss these, no matter what anyone says, and will always read them if you post them

another classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back