PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

This and That (Ain't No Cure for the Offseason Blues)

Zeus

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Venting My Spleen

Offseason Blues (Exhibit I) - In the NFL calendar, there seems to be a full moon every night between the conclusion of the June mini-camps and the start of actual training camp. This puts an exclamation point on the offseason, where many players indulge in their two favorite pastimes: having surgery and getting arrested. In future, aspiring doctors and lawyers will not waste their precious time on law/medical school. They’ll just watch the NFL Network.

Offseason Blues (Exhibit II) - For the diehard fan of American professional football, the pages of the calendar turn slowly between the first week in February and the end of July. Training camp brings an air of anticipation. I actually look forward to the preseason games because (in theory) even really, really bad football is better than no football at all. But the farcical nature of the glorified scrimmages reached a tipping point this past weekend with inept, disinterested play being accompanied by the continuing tidal wave of critical injuries. The evidence mounts that a schedule containing four preseason games is an unconscionable rip-off of the paying customers and is actually counterproductive to the level of play that we will see during the regular season. I don’t pretend to know what the answer is but I do believe that the four game NFL preseason should be very high on the endangered species list.

On to Football

2013 Prospects – I think it was the loss in January that led Bill Belichick to the realization that a significant change in the offense would be required for the Patriots to truly compete at a championship level. These changes focused on getter younger, more athletic and more versatile at the WR position. Change involves risk. Without risk, there can be no reward. The team’s chances this year will rise and fall on the performance of the new corps of receivers and the continued development of young defenders drafted over the past several seasons. There will undoubtedly be some rocky times early in the season but the team’s history over the past decade strongly suggests that, come December, coaches will have adapted and players will have developed. Bring it on – I can’t wait.

Almost Famous –It was the New England Patriots that made the slot receiver truly relevant in the NFL. The careers of both Troy Brown and Wes Welker changed dramatically once they started playing for Bill Belichick. Danny Amendola is about to become a household name.

Elsewhere in the AFC East

Buffalo - Courtesy of tiebreaker #137 (Alphabetical Order), the Bills will spend August comfortably ensconced atop the AFC East. New head coach Doug Marrone’s attempts to retool the quarterback position have been met with significant medical complications. Candidates to start in the home opener September 8th against the Patriots include:
  • 1st round pick EJ Manuel, who hasn’t played or practiced since his August 18th “procedure” (which one can only hope involves a knee or something rather than, say, being neutered);
  • Some guy named Jeff who no one has ever even heard of
  • Recently unemployed retread/washout Matt Leinhart;
  • Duke grad Thaddeus Lewis who was traded by the Lions because of his refusal to commit personal foul penalties;
  • Manti Te’o’s formerly dead ex-girlfriend.
Marrone has been spotted in a bright orange sweatshirt on the New York Turnpike hitchhiking in the direction of Syracuse.

New York - The jets front office is a highly combustible minefield of ego, naked ambition, rank incompetence and epic dysfunction. It is entertaining enough, I suppose, for the idiot owner to pit the new humorless grunt/know-it-all general manager against the fun-loving blowhard/loose cannon head coach in a steel cage death match. The intrepid Idzik, bent on restoring the two-time AFC Championship game contestants to their former heights of semi-final glory, purged Rex’s coordinators and jettisoned much of the team’s (admittedly overhyped) talent, leaving Coach Ryan effectively abandoned on a garbage scow, heading aimlessly toward the briny deep with no hope whatsoever of professional survival. Cue the calliope music - this should make for excellent TV viewing, especially if (when, really) the volatile Ryan finally erupts. If Rex were a beloved pet, he’d be mercifully euthanized. Instead, he’ll be humiliated in a 16 week long bizarre internationally televised public spectacle whcih will make Caligula look like a Walt Disney movie.

Miami – The perennially overrated Dolphins have a new logo (virtually indistinguishable from the old one), a Stupendously Overpaid Free Agent Human Hamstring Pull at WR and a glaring vacancy at left offensive tackle. Mission accomplished! Now the team’s befuddled ownership can turn its full attention to a pointless political vendetta that will ensure that the Dolphins will become pariahs will All the Right People.

Random Thoughts

Hogs at the Trough (Part 7,234,213) -Those of us who believe the $NCAA$ to be the epitome of greed and corruption can only be delighted to watch the self-appointed guardians of so-called amateur athletic purity stewing in their own juices over the dilemma presented by Johnny Manziel. The Heisman Trophy winner is worth huge money to both Texas A&M and the $NCAA$. Suspending him will cut into booster donations and television ratings. It says here that the justice meted out to Manziel will not be anywhere near as harsh as that imposed on others who are not such prodigious producers of the cash the $NCAA$ desperately craves.

Real Men of Genius – Did you know the purchaser of a common household iron will find a warning to the effect that ironing your clothes while wearing them is dangerous? This is one of those stupid disclaimers that manufacturers use to avoid civil litigation and that people with common sense regard as hilariously unnecessary. But, seriously, no one would iron their clothes while wearing them! Well, no one except Chris Gasper and Albert Breer, that is. I really can’t say what was worse – Gasper being caught in the act (per Marc Bertrand tweet) or Breer’s tweeted acknowledgment that he had given himself 3rd degree burns with his own iron.

you are a god amongst us mere helots here at Patsfans, Zeus...:youtheman: You The Man

Zeus--your writing style is always enjoyed, and judging by your success at it I'd imagine that you do it for a living on some level. Just a hunch...

Great thoughts all around, and I definitely agree with you 100% that Danny Amendola is about to become a household name.

FWIW--a major fantasy football site (Yahoo sports) has Amendola projected as the TOP wide receiver in terms of receptions this year with 106. While we all know this doesn't add up to much in real life, it also shows that this opinion is catching on with a lot of the so-called "experts" around the league.

On a more realistic note it was a great sign to see Brady and Amendola switching up hand signals right from the get go to make sure they were both seeing the same thing and were on the same route. Just another sign of the professionalism that exists with Brady. He could very well turn another "no name" into a surefire star, and DA's skills and passion for the game will only add to that even more.

I have been laughing uncontrollably for a good minute now at your post's crescendo Zeus.

I have been laughing uncontrollably for a good minute now at your post's crescendo Zeus.

Makes you want more, doesn't it? It would be a blessing indeed should Zeus have the time and desire to share his thoughts after every game this season.

On another note--anyone thinking about the Field Yates (edit: I meant Mike Rodak) /patsfan.com "who is he" debate again after reading this? The writing style is pure genius. I'm not even sure that Rodak could pull this off. It reeks of professional writing to me.

Makes you want more, doesn't it? It would be a blessing indeed should Zeus have the time and desire to share his thoughts after every game this season.

On another note--anyone thinking about the Field Yates/patsfan.com "who is he" debate again after reading this? The writing style is pure genius. I'm not even sure that Yates could pull this off. It reeks of professional writing to me.

It was Rodak I believe, someone mentioned Zues and Ian confirmed it wasn't him. But I'm with you, always top notch writing from the lightning bolt thrower, can't get enough.

Great stuff Zues, Thanx...

It was Rodak I believe, someone mentioned Zues and Ian confirmed it wasn't him. But I'm with you, always top notch writing from the lightning bolt thrower, can't get enough.

Great stuff Zues, Thanx...

Yep, you're exactly right Rob. It was Mike Rodak. I'll edit my original post as I had gotten my beat reporters momentarily mixed up.

I do remember someone suggesting Zeus now that you mention it. Like I said, I don't think that either one of Rodak or Yates (I'll throw him in now too ;) ) could achieve this writing style anyway.

I have a few "groups" of posters whom I admire greatly and I have a feeling they already know who they are. Some of them I admire for their knowledge, while others are for their positive attitude and other traits; but Zeus would fall into a class all of his own in terms of being able to make you laugh and get his points across all at the same time. Lots of great posters and ideas around here.

Real Men of Genius – Did you know the purchaser of a common household iron will find a warning to the effect that ironing your clothes while wearing them is dangerous? This is one of those stupid disclaimers that manufacturers use to avoid civil litigation and that people with common sense regard as hilariously unnecessary. But, seriously, no one would iron their clothes while wearing them! Well, no one except Chris Gasper and Albert Breer, that is. I really can’t say what was worse – Gasper being caught in the act (per Marc Bertrand tweet) or Breer’s tweeted acknowledgment that he had given himself 3rd degree burns with his own iron.
What happened with Gasper? Not surprising on Breer; it was great to hear BB insult him about his questions regarding Gronk. "He's been here every day...Those who are here know he's been out there." (paraphrasing).

Absolutely hilarious thread and very clean formatting too.
Almost Famous –It was the New England Patriots that made the slot receiver truly relevant in the NFL. The careers of both Troy Brown and Wes Welker changed dramatically once they started playing for Bill Belichick. Danny Amendola is about to become a household name.
Provided DA stays healthy (and I think he stands a better chance with TB throwing him the ball. TB does a great job at leading receivers and putting them in fewer -- high impact situations -- though there will still be enough of those) his dating pool will greatly increase as well. This, of course, assumes he isn't married/engaged.

What happened with Gasper? Not surprising on Breer; it was great to hear BB insult him about his questions regarding Gronk. "He's been here every day...Those who are here know he's been out there." (paraphrasing).

And pathetic of Breer to gloat afterwards about it. He's become a despicable little weasel.

Zeus--your writing style is always enjoyed, and judging by your success at it I'd imagine that you do it for a living on some level. Just a hunch...

Thanks for the kind words.

I very much appreciate those who take the time to read my posts. I recognize that this is not the preferred mode of communication in this day and age. I would imagine that many likely regard the posts as far too long and the material as too dense.

So many posters here are quickly able to contribute concise thoughts. I enjoy their insights. I hope that there is still room for longer and more nuanced pieces.

I am by no means a professional writer. In fact, I never took a single English course in college (back when Chuck Fairbanks was head coach). The only writing I have done in the intervening years has been business correspondence (not very interesting, since I work in a very technical field).

I will try to post more regularly than I have in the past, although life does get in the way sometimes. I hope those of you who enjoy this will keep reading. Your comments and constructive feedback are welcome and encouraged.

Thanks for the kind words.

I very much appreciate those who take the time to read my posts. I recognize that this is not the preferred mode of communication in this day and age. I would imagine that many likely regard the posts as far too

I was only able to make it this far.

j/k. Your posts are exactly my style. A good quip is very useful, but I prefer to dine with a little more substance. :rocker:

Offseason Blues (Exhibit II) - For the diehard fan of American professional football, the pages of the calendar turn slowly between the first week in February and the end of July. Training camp brings an air of anticipation. I actually look forward to the preseason games because (in theory) even really, really bad football is better than no football at all. But the farcical nature of the glorified scrimmages reached a tipping point this past weekend with inept, disinterested play being accompanied by the continuing tidal wave of critical injuries. The evidence mounts that a schedule containing four preseason games is an unconscionable rip-off of the paying customers and is actually counterproductive to the level of play that we will see during the regular season. I don’t pretend to know what the answer is but I do believe that the four game NFL preseason should be very high on the endangered species list.

If you like college football, think of the preseason games as college games with the best players in college football wearing pro uniforms. That helped me this year (someone who usually doesn't care for preseason football outside of Pats games) and I can honestly say that I watched a lot more preseason football this year than I have any other year.

Hogs at the Trough (Part 7,234,213) -Those of us who believe the $NCAA$ to be the epitome of greed and corruption can only be delighted to watch the self-appointed guardians of so-called amateur athletic purity stewing in their own juices over the dilemma presented by Johnny Manziel. The Heisman Trophy winner is worth huge money to both Texas A&M and the $NCAA$. Suspending him will cut into booster donations and television ratings. It says here that the justice meted out to Manziel will not be anywhere near as harsh as that imposed on others who are not such prodigious producers of the cash the $NCAA$ desperately craves.

And there you have it ...

Johnny Manziel suspended for 30 minutes | ProFootballTalk

@Zeus

Extraordinary.

A strong argument can be made that doing away with warning labels all together will reduce the number of idiots among us by attrition. The person that needs a warning label in a Superman suit to avoid jumping off a 10 story building should probably just jump. (j/k ofc)

This is way too good to be lingering at the bottom of the page.

:bump2:

A must read for anyone that visits this site.

Very well written, always enjoy a wordsmith.. it is a lost art.

Not much else to say except, bump!!!!!

I suspect that the "short attention span theater" group will skip this..

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
Back