PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Things I learned on Sunday -

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1. On Buffalo: I have to say that Willis McGahee is a very, very good RB. I have not seen a RB all year that CONSISTANTLY made 2 yds into 6 yds as McGahee did yesterday...against a team that tackles very well. He's the best I have seen this year...including our own very good group.

I was also impressed with Jason Peters the Bill OT, who I saw occassionally manhandle both Ty Warren and Richard Seymour. (though it needs to be said that both those guys occassionally handled Peters as well). It was impressive to see it happen even if it was only once in a while. The Bills have at least one gem on that OL.

2. The most interesting stat I learned: The Pats OL has allowed 9 sacks through the first 6 games this season, they have give up 7 of those sack to the Bills. The more you think about it, the more remarkable it becomes,

3. That being said, not having Daniel Graham in there is one of the reasons the Bills had so many sacks. He is not only expert at helping the tackles, he can take on a speed rusher one on one and have a better than average chance at successfully blocking them. Watson was really overmatched on that one sack he gave up.

4. That being said, I also think that the running game is marginally less effective without Graham in the line up. If you are getting the idea that I'm lobbying for the Pats to re-sign Daniel at the end of this season....you are right.

5. That being said, Miguel, could you please update your page to include the Koppen extention. I'd like to have an idea of how much cap room we have for OTHER potential extensions.

6. That being said, what a revelation Assante Samuel has been the last few games. Most people have been saying that he's a nice nickel back. I thought he was a nice #2 CB. Well clearly he has been playing at a #1 CB pace the last 3 games. Why such an improvement....can you spell C-O-N-T-R-A-C-T S-E-A-S-O-N. Assuming the Pats have around $6-7MM in cap room left, I would like to see them extend AT LEAST one of Graham or Samuel before the end of the season.

7. That being said, it is clear that either of those guys can make more in the FA market than here with the Pats. However Koppen has proven that THERE ARE guys who can make more money than they can possibly spend in a lifetime HERE, leave to get even more outside...just because they can.

For a lot of reasons that I and other have expounded on, on many occassions, the Pats are set up to be serious contenders, EVERY YEAR, for the rest of this decade... and beyond. That is a serious incentive for a player to whom WINNING is VERY IMPORTANT. Remember the money the Pats are offering, though less than what they can get elsewhere, is more than most of us can IMAGINE making in a LIFETIME.

8. I'm not proud of this thought, but with the Hasselbeck going down for at least a couple of weeks, I can't help but hope that the first round pick the Pats picked up in the Branch trade will start to move from the end of the round to the ealy 20's...maybe even better.

I know that's awful, especially since Hasselbeck is a local kid and not only is a good QB, but a nice kid as well (and they have Moisi's kid from Sharon). However I choose to think of it as Karma coming back to bite Holmgren and the Seattle FO...or at least that is my justification. ;)

9. Speaking of that, I wonder how Branch is thinking about catching balls from Seneca Wallace the next few weeks....or longer.

10. I hope we can dispense all the talk about the Pats WRs and not being able to go deep. Brady missed a wide open Reche Caldwell in the first period and hit Jackson deep later on for a TD. Our WRs CAN GET DEEP, however we are still a work in progress.

11. I loved the article that was posted here from the Buffalo paper it is a great assessment on what we are doing right here in NE and why the winning will continue. I have said on many occassions that the relative talent of the NFL is pretty much equal (+ or - 10%). That is why the Cardinals can essentially beat the "best team in the league" one week and lose to the Raiders the next, and why the Texans can beat the Jags...CONVINCINGLY

Talent is one thing - but all NFL teams have the most talented football players in the country. The ENVIROMENT that those players are nurtured is what creates the winners and the losers in this league. JMHO, but I am hoping that more and more players will start to realize that long term success with a team like the Pats is ultimately more valuable than making that extra million in the short term.

We will still lose guys who are deemed more valuable because they have played in this system, but I'm hoping we will get more back because THEY UNDERSTAND, and get "it".

12. MEDIA BASHING - I don't think we will see much in the way of Branch's stats in the news this week. How many catches did he get this week anyways?

I also wonder if Felger's bashing of Reche Caldwell will continue. Granted, I think he should have made one catch he missed, but the other in the endzone would have been a superb catch, if he had been able to hold on to that ball. All in all, Reche played a decent game and should develop in to a decent #2...if not he will lose his job to Gaffney.

13. Hey are we ever going to kick some FGs here!!!!!. I was almost hoping we would stall on some of those drives so we get Gotkowski some chances, I'm thinking if we had Adam here this year and paid him what we wanted we'd have the grand total of 3 more points on the board...in a game we had already won. When I can compare that to the fact that we are among the leaders in the league in KO coverage (where the opposition gets the ball after the KO). This has been a great help to the defense. Making a team make an extra first down or two before getting into FG range, turns FGs into punts, and TD's into FGs quite often.

For example if Buffalo's first drive started on the 35, then MaGahees catch and run later on, would have resulted in a TD, instead of a short FG. KO's DO MATTER.

Now I want to see if he can make a pressure FG before the fricken season is over.

13. On the other hand, we have been very effective in getting TDs in the red zone this season. I don't know what the stats are, but I'm sure we are in the top 10 in the league in red zone effeciency. The main reason for this is the fact that we are able to RUSH for TD's. Dillon's rushes for 8 and 12 yds are not all that usual down on the GL where rushing yards are VERY hard to come by.

14. CONSPIRACY THEORY OF THE WEEK: Bill Polian arranged to have the Pats play a tough AWAY game on a Monday night, right before the Pats play the Colts, making it a short week with travel for the Pats. Anything to gain an advantage. ;)

15. Speaking of that...the next 2 weeks are going to be good tests of where this team is, versus some of the better teams in the league. I still think we are a month away from seeing this offense come together, but the defense is right on track to give BOTH these teams a run for their money.

16. Finally, I don't think it is premature to start to think about Ty Warren's extention contract, even though he has 2 more years before he's a FA.

Excellent post, as always. Just one thing. . . .

patfanken said:
13. Hey are we ever going to kick some FGs here!!!!!. I was almost hoping we would stall on some of those drives so we get Gotkowski some chances, I'm thinking if we had Adam here this year and paid him what we wanted we'd have the grand total of 3 more points on the board...in a game we had already won. When I can compare that to the fact that we are among the leaders in the league in KO coverage (where the opposition gets the ball after the KO). This has been a great help to the defense. Making a team make an extra first down or two before getting into FG range, turns FGs into punts, and TD's into FGs quite often.

For example if Buffalo's first drive started on the 35, then MaGahees catch and run later on, would have resulted in a TD, instead of a short FG. KO's DO MATTER.

Now I want to see if he can make a pressure FG before the fricken season is over.

As I said once, I wouldn't mind if Gostkowski didn't have to do anything BUT KOs and PATs, especially if there are lots of them. :)

13. On the other hand, we have been very effective in getting TDs in the red zone this season.

Not triskaidekaphobic, are you? ;)

For the most part, :agree:

patfanken said:
3. That being said, not having Daniel Graham in there is one of the reasons the Bills had so many sacks. He is not only expert at helping the tackles, he can take on a speed rusher one on one and have a better than average chance at successfully blocking them. Watson was really overmatched on that one sack he gave up.

4. That being said, I also think that the running game is marginally less effective without Graham in the line up. If you are getting the idea that I'm lobbying for the Pats to re-sign Daniel at the end of this season....you are right.

Unfortunately you cannot block from the tub. And your value as a blocker vs. receiver is even more debatable if you cannot be counted on to be on the field to do either.

5. That being said, Miguel, could you please update your page to include the Koppen extention. I'd like to have an idea of how much cap room we have for OTHER potential extensions.

Miguel can't do that until someone spills the details. Since it's an extension his 2006 salary remains unchanged. We know he got "around $7.5M in bonuses and guarantees" but have no idea as yet how those are being doled out since the NFLPA only publishes salaries.

6. That being said, what a revelation Assante Samuel has been the last few games. Most people have been saying that he's a nice nickel back. I thought he was a nice #2 CB. Well clearly he has been playing at a #1 CB pace the last 3 games. Why such an improvement....can you spell C-O-N-T-R-A-C-T S-E-A-S-O-N. Assuming the Pats have around $6-7MM in cap room left, I would like to see them extend AT LEAST one of Graham or Samuel before the end of the season.

Rodney is giving Asante kudos on his performance now on WEEI, but he did mention how hard he is working after things maybe didn't go that well in camp... I think it's part contract season motivation and part he's playing with Rodney and Hawkins and Hobbs behind a healthy and high functioning front 7 and against some scatter armed QB's...he's pretty good on a very good D. Always was. He's an adventure on a shaky D so he's not a player who will seriously upgrade a team looking to add to their D via the secondary in FA. Hopefully that keeps his price within reason, although the picks should they continue will intrigue some.

8. I'm not proud of this thought, but with the Hasselbeck going down for at least a couple of weeks, I can't help but hope that the first round pick the Pats picked up in the Branch trade will start to move from the end of the round to the ealy 20's...maybe even better.

I know that's awful, especially since Hasselbeck is a local kid and not only is a good QB, but a nice kid as well (and they have Moisi's kid from Sharon). However I choose to think of it as Karma coming back to bite Holmgren and the Seattle FO...or at least that is my justification. ;)

You might want to take a gander at their schedule, and rememner what division they play in. 11-5 is still doable with Matt out 4 weeks, unfortunately.

As always a great post. I think you are spot on about Samuel. I felt he was a decent #2 that I still wasn't sold on coming into this season, but he's played lights out and I'm getting that same impression that it's for his FA dollars. Money is a great motivator.

Josh McDaniels needs to make a thread like this. If I was the OC and sounded like Bill Belichick, this is EXACTLY the thread I would create!! In fact, if this thread had MORE PLAY ACTION it would be THE PERFECT THREAD!!!!!

Flying Fungi said:
Josh McDaniels needs to make a thread like this. If I was the OC and sounded like Bill Belichick, this is EXACTLY the thread I would create!! In fact, if this thread had MORE PLAY ACTION it would be THE PERFECT THREAD!!!!!

Ken clearly has issues with out pattern writing. He just keeps sending his posts longer and longer.

And he never seems to target the middle of his points. All I ever see him do is work the edges of his ideas.

The big thing to me is the slow, but steady, emergence of our WR corps. Caldwell has been a solid posession guy. Gabriel a solid #2 guy. We just need Chad to get to at least Gabriel's level. It was a shame he dropped that one pass although the ref had to be a distraction on that. Regardless, every route, every rep, every catch, every drop in game situations gets him closer to the game slowing down for him and we have 10 weeks until the playoffs start.

The thing I keep going back to is that, other than Graham, the entire offense is signed through next year and most of it (OL, Brady, Maroney, Dillon, Jackson, Watson) is signed through 2009 or 2010. With the DL also signed and extra draft picks on the way we'll be able to hit the Defensive Back Eight hard and take some BPAs as we won't have a lot of big need positions.

patfanken said:
1. On Buffalo: I have to say that Willis McGahee is a very, very good RB. I have not seen a RB all year that CONSISTANTLY made 2 yds into 6 yds as McGahee did yesterday...against a team that tackles very well. He's the best I have seen this year...including our own very good group.

I was also impressed with Jason Peters the Bill OT, who I saw occassionally manhandle both Ty Warren and Richard Seymour. (though it needs to be said that both those guys occassionally handled Peters as well). It was impressive to see it happen even if it was only once in a while. The Bills have at least one gem on that OL.

2. The most interesting stat I learned: The Pats OL has allowed 9 sacks through the first 6 games this season, they have give up 7 of those sack to the Bills. The more you think about it, the more remarkable it becomes,

7. That being said, it is clear that either of those guys can make more in the FA market than here with the Pats. However Koppen has proven that THERE ARE guys who can make more money than they can possibly spend in a lifetime HERE, leave to get even more outside...just because they can.

For a lot of reasons that I and other have expounded on, on many occassions, the Pats are set up to be serious contenders, EVERY YEAR, for the rest of this decade... and beyond. That is a serious incentive for a player to whom WINNING is VERY IMPORTANT. Remember the money the Pats are offering, though less than what they can get elsewhere, is more than most of us can IMAGINE making in a LIFETIME.

9. Speaking of that, I wonder how Branch is thinking about catching balls from Seneca Wallace the next few weeks....or longer.

10. I hope we can dispense all the talk about the Pats WRs and not being able to go deep. Brady missed a wide open Reche Caldwell in the first period and hit Jackson deep later on for a TD. Our WRs CAN GET DEEP, however we are still a work in progress.

11. I loved the article that was posted here from the Buffalo paper it is a great assessment on what we are doing right here in NE and why the winning will continue. I have said on many occassions that the relative talent of the NFL is pretty much equal (+ or - 10%). That is why the Cardinals can essentially beat the "best team in the league" one week and lose to the Raiders the next, and why the Texans can beat the Jags...CONVINCINGLY

Talent is one thing - but all NFL teams have the most talented football players in the country. The ENVIROMENT that those players are nurtured is what creates the winners and the losers in this league. JMHO, but I am hoping that more and more players will start to realize that long term success with a team like the Pats is ultimately more valuable than making that extra million in the short term.

We will still lose guys who are deemed more valuable because they have played in this system, but I'm hoping we will get more back because THEY UNDERSTAND, and get "it".

12. MEDIA BASHING - I don't think we will see much in the way of Branch's stats in the news this week. How many catches did he get this week anyways?

I also wonder if Felger's bashing of Reche Caldwell will continue. Granted, I think he should have made one catch he missed, but the other in the endzone would have been a superb catch, if he had been able to hold on to that ball. All in all, Reche played a decent game and should develop in to a decent #2...if not he will lose his job to Gaffney.

13. On the other hand, we have been very effective in getting TDs in the red zone this season. I don't know what the stats are, but I'm sure we are in the top 10 in the league in red zone effeciency. The main reason for this is the fact that we are able to RUSH for TD's. Dillon's rushes for 8 and 12 yds are not all that usual down on the GL where rushing yards are VERY hard to come by.

14. CONSPIRACY THEORY OF THE WEEK: Bill Polian arranged to have the Pats play a tough AWAY game on a Monday night, right before the Pats play the Colts, making it a short week with travel for the Pats. Anything to gain an advantage. ;)

15. Speaking of that...the next 2 weeks are going to be good tests of where this team is, versus some of the better teams in the league. I still think we are a month away from seeing this offense come together, but the defense is right on track to give BOTH these teams a run for their money.

16. Finally, I don't think it is premature to start to think about Ty Warren's extention contract, even though he has 2 more years before he's a FA.

You got some nice stuff here...one nitpick though. Drop the "that being said" before some of the things you listed.

desi-patsfan said:
one nitpick though. Drop the "that being said" before some of the things you listed.
That's just a Kenism that you have to get used to :)

That being said, he did overdo it a little this time :D

Last edited:
patfanken said:
1. On Buffalo...

Buffalo is actually a much better team than their record indicates - they kept shooting themselves in the foot - if they can learn to stop beating themselves they could be good in the future.

WR Talk - Let's not get too overconfident as far as our WRs go just yet

Yesterday we saw two deep balls caught. Now, I expect that should be enough to keep the Vikings defense honest, but let's not get out of our head here - it was just two passes.

If they can do that every week it will be enough - but the fact that they hadn't done it for the first 5 games was a legitimate area of concern - and it will be again if that phases of the game disappears.

It was never about whether WRs would make their catches - it was just a question of whether they would ever prove they could be a deep threat.

Case in point - Reche Caldwell. Take out his "big" catch for an 8 yard pickup and he's got 4 receptions for 14 yards - 3.5 yards per catch. I'm expecting a bit more from a #2 WR... seems to me like the most complicated route the trust Caldwell to run these days is to take two steps and turn around for the catch.

4 yards a reception isn't going to do too much to stretch the field, and I felt like Faulk and others are much better able to be the dump pass receiver and pick up more yards after the catch than Caldwell showed.

Did anybody else notice/feel the "crispness" to the offense on that opening drive? It's been a while since I've felt that - good stuff. It was like one of those old-fashioned Charlie Weis-era opening drives, we were clicking and matriculatin' down the field.

Last edited:
patfanken said:

That being asked...For those who care about it, I believe it was something like 4 for 60ish yds? ;)

Brownfan80 said:
As always a great post. I think you are spot on about Samuel. I felt he was a decent #2 that I still wasn't sold on coming into this season, but he's played lights out and I'm getting that same impression that it's for his FA dollars. Money is a great motivator.

This is a significant counter-argument against the "sign them all a year or two early" camp. Over the long-term, it may be better to let good players complete their contracts (and often leave) so that they are playing for the money for cheap (plus we get a compensatory pick if they leave). Of course fans want our players to stay around longer, but these are major positives to the organization.

Brownfan80 said:
"Lights out?" This isn't the same kid being burned by Marty Booker on the hapless Doofins?

Asante gambles a bit, BB has commented on his baiting the QB. I'm sure Collier and Pees have protections set in place to turn him loose - his teammates are helping him set up the QB by executing their responsibilities.

For all the folks squaling about Hobbs having bad games, he's "shutting down" his side of the field often enough, allowing Asante greater opportunity.

The secondary, as a unit, has been playing very well within the overall defensive scheme, complementing the play of the other two units. I'll cheer loud for Asante's picks, but his opportunism doesn't develop in a vacuum as far as I can see.

patfanken said:

Point well taken, but in the spirit of fairness, I believe Graham also gave up a sack against Schobel in the first game. I'm not sure I can find much fault in either of our TEs giving up sacks against Schobel or Kelsay. Their DEs are both solid players.

I'll also throw in something I saw that made me very happy. I really can't recall the last time Brady and the O marched down field on the first possession and scored a TD as he did for much of the SB winning seasons' games.

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
I'll cheer loud for Asante's picks, but his opportunism doesn't develop in a vacuum as far as I can see.

oh you...and your quantum physics...pfft... :singing:

Flying Fungi said:
oh you...and your quantum physics...pfft... :singing:
I know, math will be the death of me. :(

chingachgook said:
Did anybody else notice/feel the "crispness" to the offense on that opening drive? It's been a while since I've felt that - good stuff. It was like one of those old-fashioned Charlie Weis-era opening drives, we were clicking and matriculatin' down the field.
Good point. I definitely felt the bye week practice time had been well spent. Also, the extra time last Thurs.

patfanken said:
Yep. Some of us were very high on him as a Pats prospect.

2. The most interesting stat I learned: The Pats OL has allowed 9 sacks through the first 6 games this season, they have give up 7 of those sack to the Bills. The more you think about it, the more remarkable it becomes
Matchups.

6. That being said, what a revelation Assante Samuel has been the last few games. Most people have been saying that he's a nice nickel back. I thought he was a nice #2 CB. Well clearly he has been playing at a #1 CB pace the last 3 games. Why such an improvement....can you spell C-O-N-T-R-A-C-T S-E-A-S-O-N.
As I mentioned before, Asante led the Pats in passes defensed in '04 and '05 . Translated this means he's always near the ball. That said, he's not an elite CB (IMO), yet he's obviously a DB you want in all packages.

15.I still think we are a month away from seeing this offense come together, but the defense is right on track to give BOTH these teams a run for their money.
As BB would say, there's room for improvement in all three phases of the game. But the fact that we have talent, good coaching, and balance, enables us to eek out some W's in a sometimes unimpressive manner.

It's also not premature to begin raving about his play this season -- quite a force indeed.

desi-patsfan said:
You got some nice stuff here...one nitpick though. Drop the "that being said" before some of the things you listed.
As long as we're nitpicking...was it absolutely necessary to quote his entire post forcing us old folks to scroll all that way to your little post it? :D ;)

patfanken said:
1. On Buffalo: I have to say that Willis McGahee is a very, very good RB. I have not seen a RB all year that CONSISTENTLY made 2 yds into 6 yds as McGahee did yesterday...against a team that tackles very well. He's the best I have seen this year...including our own very good group.

Agreed !
I had the impression he gained two yards entirely by his own efforts after each tackle.

Peters was the star of BB's tutorial segment on the Patriots All Access tv show Saturday.

2. The most interesting stat I learned: The Pats OL has allowed 9 sacks through the first 6 games this season, they have give up 7 of those sack to the Bills. The more you think about it, the more remarkable it becomes.

Schobel destroyed us the first half of Opening Day as well. Yesterday, Kelsay also chimed in destructively.

Hear! Hear!

7. ....
For a lot of reasons that I and other have expounded on, on many occasions, the Pats are set up to be serious contenders, EVERY YEAR, for the rest of this decade... and beyond. That is a serious incentive for a player to whom WINNING is VERY IMPORTANT. ....

Dunno when i've ever rooted so hard AGAINST a team ... as against these Seattle lads
i normally have found a soft spot for in my heart.

11. I loved the article that was posted here from the Buffalo paper it is a great assessment on what we are doing right here in NE and why the winning will continue. I have said on many occassions that the relative talent of the NFL is pretty much equal (+ or - 10%). That is why the Cardinals can essentially beat the "best team in the league" one week and lose to the Raiders the next, ....

Splendid juxtaposition.

13. .... I'm thinking if we had Adam here this year and paid him what we wanted we'd have the grand total of 3 more points on the board...in a game we had already won. When I can compare that to the fact that we are among the leaders in the league in KO coverage (where the opposition gets the ball after the KO). This has been a great help to the defense. Making a team make an extra first down or two before getting into FG range, turns FGs into punts, and TD's into FGs quite often.

You darn tootin', sir.

How silly. NaPolian don't gotta do anything.
The league understands what to do when it has a chance to advance the Colts.
Doesn't require prompting.

16. Finally, I don't think it is premature to start to think about Ty Warren's extension contract, even though he has 2 more years before he's a FA.

PERHAPS "not premature".
But only if Ty agrees to the considerable discount
required to reflect the time value of the money and the club's assumption of injury risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST