PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

They LOVE it here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet he's a real soldier there.

Stallworth getting out of bed to drive, groggy, is NOT a classic case of horrifically irresponsible drunk driving. People drive impaired by nothing but tiredness all the time, and it's not obvious why he should have known the difference.

However -- how did he get home from the club earlier that night?

I don't know what your intent was, because I have no clue what being bilingual does to mitigate killing someone.
If you really want to pretend what he did isn't horrific because he is on your favorite team, that is up to you, but trying to rationalize it with silly things like that is kind of insulting.
I didn't ever say what happened wasn't horrific. If you've had a relative or friend who died at the hands of a drunk driver (I've had both) I understand your angst at what I posted. If not my guess is you're just being a jerk-off which wouldn't qualify as time #1.

You should really familiarize yourself with the details of the story.

A good response. Unfortunately (not to pick on the poster you responded to) too many in the general public desire that 'pieces easily fit' equation of an innocence + an evil = preparing as quickly as possible a jail cell with the key waiting to be thrown away.
Even with loss of life and the terrible effect it has on the loved ones, guilt/fault must be decided impartially and without emotion. Not a well received belief among many but it HAS to work that way.
There are too many cases of alcohol inhibited driving that are based on premeditated recklessness on the part of the driver. Looking at the circumstances of this case, it strongly appears to not be the case with Stallworth. A reasonable conclusion is the pedestrian could or would have been hit by any driver on the highway at that time regardless of the mental state of that driver. Considering that I just don't think one can conclude Stallworth is a terrible person (this case doesn't decide that one way or another).

I love this - how did that work out for him?

Some people get a reputation unfairly attached. This sure doesn't appear to be the case with Winslow. Here we have a guy with a ton of baggage in regards to being unprofessional and more trouble than they're worth. Approaching age 30 and, likely, passing their career peak, he is given an opportunity to play with arguably the best organization in the league. The opportunity includes playing for a coach with a league wide reputation of 'if you can play for him, you can be a professional, team player'. So what does he do? Asks to leave after 1 game.
And the search for intelligent life continues....:rolleyes:

Sometimes, driving while legally under the influence, has nothing at all to do with an accident that you are in. Sober people get in accidents all the time.

Is a professional athlete, just over the legal limit, a worse driver than a 70 year old, stone sober woman, or a 16 year old kid who just got his license? It certainly doesn't make drinking and driving acceptable, but 20 years ago he probably wouldn't have been over the limit.

Some people get a reputation unfairly attached. This sure doesn't appear to be the case with Winslow. Here we have a guy with a ton of baggage in regards to being unprofessional and more trouble than they're worth. Approaching age 30 and, likely, passing their career peak, he is given an opportunity to play with arguably the best organization in the league. The opportunity includes playing for a coach with a league wide reputation of 'if you can play for him, you can be a professional, team player'. So what does he do? Asks to leave after 1 game.
And the search for intelligent life continues....:rolleyes:

Kind of reminds you a little bit of Adalius Thomas. Guys whose skills have eroded to that extent can't afforded to be a-holes. Neither one landed an NFL job after BB let them go. Even Rex Ryan didn't give AD a shot.

Kind of reminds you a little bit of Adalius Thomas. Guys whose skills have eroded to that extent can't afforded to be a-holes. Neither one landed an NFL job after BB let them go. Even Rex Ryan didn't give AD a shot.

Salient point. Without having done the research, I suspect players that get or continue to have the 'troublemaker' label after playing for BB are given less consideration for signing by other teams.
Normally there is almost always one team that needs help -- so just about anyone will get another opportunity elsewhere. It's astonishingly bad when you're AD and Winslow (guys arguably with raw talent and game experience - even if on the downside/eroding) and you get no additional opportunities elsewhere. I'm especially glad AD didn't! Gives me hope that there is still justice in the world......

Last edited:
I don't know what your intent was, because I have no clue what being bilingual does to mitigate killing someone.
If you really want to pretend what he did isn't horrific because he is on your favorite team, that is up to you, but trying to rationalize it with silly things like that is kind of insulting.

Judge: For killing your ex-wife I sentence you to ten years of remedial French.:D

I think Winslow was just in too much pain playing, I believe it was media speculation that pointed to playing time.

ThatllMoveTheChains!!! said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyJohnson

OK, feel free to think the unnecessary loss of a mans life isn't horrific because you have driven drunk and therefore see it as a 'tragic accident'.
I choose to look at it from the standpoint of the innocent man who lost is life rather than from the standpoint of the rationalization of the person who didn't care enough about the lives he was putting in danger to make the inconvenient choice.
I certainly hope you have reached the maturity level where you don't excuse driving drunk as a necessary evil because you choose to party, because you may well end up in the same boat as Stallworth.

For some reason I'm not finding it all that surprising that you think I need your permission to think. I also find it completely predictable that you opted to jump to a bunch of conclusions and then started using ad hominem.

You're looking at this from your viewpoint and no one else's. Considering that the family has forgiven Stallworth I'd say your viewpoint is pretty distorted. I bet they're just fellow drunk drivers too...

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

AndyJohnson said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatllMoveTheChains!!!

Quote:

OK, feel free to think the unnecessary loss of a mans life isn't horrific because you have driven drunk and therefore see it as a 'tragic accident'.
I choose to look at it from the standpoint of the innocent man who lost is life rather than from the standpoint of the rationalization of the person who didn't care enough about the lives he was putting in danger to make the inconvenient choice.
I certainly hope you have reached the maturity level where you don't excuse driving drunk as a necessary evil because you choose to party, because you may well end up in the same boat as Stallworth.

For some reason I'm not finding it all that surprising that you think I need your permission to think. I also find it completely predictable that you opted to jump to a bunch of conclusions and then started using ad hominem.

You're looking at this from your viewpoint and no one else's. Considering that the family has forgiven Stallworth I'd say your viewpoint is pretty distorted. I bet they're just fellow drunk drivers too...

You disagreed with my comment not the other way around, so out would appear your are the one who thinks my opinion needs you're approval.
for the record, you don't need my approval to have an opinion, but you do for me to agree, which always important to you.
Thanks for adding the opinion of"people who party" to try and soften my feeling that out is tragic that a man died unnecessarily, but the idea that you do it to without regret does nothing to change my opinion that the victims life if more important than the excuses you make for the guy on you're favorite team who was responsible.
we will never agree here but dont be a dbag and act like i'm seeking our you're opinion to disagree with because the opposite happened

Jackson 2 said:
Quote:

I didn't ever say what happened wasn't horrific. If you've had a relative or friend who died at the hands of a drunk driver (I've had both) I understand your angst at what I posted. If not my guess is you're just being a jerk-off which wouldn't qualify as time #1.

A man died, you used being bilingual as factor in excusing the man responsible, because he's on the patriots. I find that pathetic. If that makes me a jerk i'm proud to be one.

I love how sidetracked a thread can become.

A man died, you used being bilingual as factor in excusing the man responsible, because he's on the patriots. I find that pathetic. If that makes me a jerk i'm proud to be one.

That's jerk-off, not jerk. Either way, you should be justifiably proud.

Everyone knows you shouldn't drink and drive. Its dangerous to yourself and the general public.

He ended someones life because he was too stupid to call a cab. He'd rather drive around intoxicated in an overpriced luxury car while drunk....

Yeah. GREAT PERSON!!!!!

Don't get me wrong. I don't care what players do off the field. But don't come here saying Stallworth is a great person. He could very well be in jail right now.

Triple Like

Definitely tests the inner fan conflict. We all would love to have a great team full of great people, but that's not alwasy the reality. You'll get players like Stallworth where the two will conflict. It's amazing how most often fan allegiance tilts more towards the laundry than the character of the person. After all, if Stallworth never played for the Pats but instead the Jets he'd be almost unanimously considered a scumbag by the members of this board.

my understanding is that he took a cab home the night before and was picking up his car in the morning and the guy stepped out into the highway.

Stallworth took responsibility for it all, even though there was evidence that likely would have exonerated him in a trial; his lawyers and his mother tried, over and over, to convince him to go that route. But he wouldn’t listen.

He felt he had caused the Reyes family enough pain, so he accepted a plea deal that led to him spending almost a month in jail, the lifetime revocation of his driver’s license, and eight years of probation. He also came to a confidential financial settlement with the family.

It wasn’t about him. First and foremost, he was concerned about Reyes’s daughter.

The family reached out to thank Stallworth for the way he handled things from the moment the accident happened, and they have forgiven him.

Donte’ Stallworth a change man after fateful turn in 2009 - Patriots - Boston.com

Triple Like

Definitely tests the inner fan conflict. We all would love to have a great team full of great people, but that's not alwasy the reality. You'll get players like Stallworth where the two will conflict. It's amazing how most often fan allegiance tilts more towards the laundry than the character of the person. After all, if Stallworth never played for the Pats but instead the Jets he'd be almost unanimously considered a scumbag by the members of this board.

Thats not necessarily true. There are several players on the Jest I dont hate. They suck, but I dont hate....Sanchez, Tebow.......uh..the water boy..:bricks:. Seriously why do some ppl have to find a difference of opinion and make it into a conflict on EVERY thread. Its very condesending and pompus sounding. You can disagree, but maybe we should allow others to have their own opinion. BTW, Maverick, this isnt directed towards you. Just ppl in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back