PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

There It Is! NFL Informed Officials of New 2015 Game Ball Procedures This Weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kraft should setup a monitor for a cold MNF game and keep cutting to it throughout the game. Fans would go nuts!

Yep, put it on the giant screen at Gillette. Have someone measure a football that was just brought onto the field in front of the crowd before kickoff, and then leave the ball and the gauge on screen the entire first half. At halftime have the same ball measured with the same gauge for 68000 people to witness.

What are you thinkin'?
Penalty reduced b/c NFL procedures sucked. This new procedure shows culpability by NFL. "We'll get it right" move...

Pats still penalized b/c staffers took the balls.

Brady suspension reduced for not cooperating with NFL. How much not sure.

Public response will determine 1 or 2 games.

I do not see them doing this in any manner that will help exonerate the Pats although it might end up doing so in the end.

If they check the balls on the field of play during a cold weather game it will show all those who are watching how ridiculous this whole deflategate was and I cannot see the NFL doing that.

Imagine if during the halftime of a below freezing game the NFL announced that the footballs were at 9.7 or 10..2 etc.... that would not look good for the NFL.

I don't recall seeing anything about them announcing results. They'll do it all in secrecy, and then leak whatever information -- true or otherwise -- seems expedient.

Penalty reduced b/c NFL procedures sucked. This new procedure shows culpability by NFL. "We'll get it right" move...

Could be. Sad that "public response" even needs to be gauged.

Presumably Goodell could, if he wanted to, rule in his arbitration decision that the lack of game day evidence of typical fluctuations in PSI renders his own prior decision invalid and that the matter needs to be re-decided next offseason. I'm not sure if the CBA would allow that, but it wouldn't be that dissimilar from what happened in the Vilma case where the appeal initially resulted in Goodell having to re-decide the penalty rather than throw out the case entirely. But frankly, if Goodell wanted to do this, he could have easily done it before deciding the initial punishment instead of undermining his own decision by claiming it was ill-informed because he did not collect enough evidence before making that decision.

All correct.

And if there's any little glitch preventing a delay, the NFLPA and Brady would obviously have to agree to waive their rights to a "speedy" decision.

It is obvious to every body in New England that this whole incident was a sham. Air pressure in footballs was never an issue in history of the league like camera placement never was before 2007. Lets face it no other team will ever be punished for this type of violation if it even existed. My concern is what the League will come up with next when I predict they will go after BB. We all know that if bend over Bob is still the owner, we are cooked.

Right. An exoneration on this, due to inadequate evidence, seems more plausible if you recall that they can then go find something ELSE to support the narrative "The Pats are cheaters, and so we were right last time even if we couldn't prove it clearly enough."

Kraft should setup a monitor for a cold MNF game and keep cutting to it throughout the game. Fans would go nuts!
Never going to happen. Do you really think Kraft will allow it???? They will probably institute a rule preventing fans from bringing in footballs and gauge to prevent them from tweeting the results....MAybe somebody tailgating can do it ....

Could be. Sad that "public response" even needs to be gauged.
On the other hand, the NFL could say that if they applied these procedures at the afccg the Pats would not be guilty b/c of IGL.

I can sell you ice cubes in hell too...

Never going to happen. Do you really think Kraft will allow it???? They will probably institute a rule preventing fans from bringing in footballs and gauge to prevent them from tweeting the results....MAybe somebody tailgating can do it ....

It would be pretty easy to set up a social campaign and try to get MikeReiss for the final push.

Thats exactly right. In 110 degree weather the footballs will measure 14.5 - 15.5 psi and in 0 degree weather the footballs will measure 9 - 10 psi.

View attachment 9748
Nice table, but I found an error. At 32 Deg F, the final pressure will be 10.55 psi, not 10.95. I'm in agreement with the other numbers.

Nice table, but I found an error. At 32 Deg F, the final pressure will be 10.55 psi, not 10.95. I'm in agreement with the other numbers.

Thanks for that correction.

Here's a good one:

" Remember when football was a sport played between men? Whatever happened to that? Its turning into Desperate Housewives or the Bachelor with all the backstabbing and crying by teams and fans that lose to the Patriots. Unbelievable. When the Patriots lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl twice, did you see any excuses, complaints or rule changes? NO! The Pats win and lose like men, which simply cannot be stated about many other organizations. "

1st and 4th for taking the balls seems a bit light.

Going back to Sal Palentonio's column (which I believe was some speculation on his part) where he stated the NFL lawyers have told Goodell there is no punishment that will hold up in court and he needs a way out. Could this be the way out? All penalties reviewed at the end of the season?

It looks fair, but the penalties would almost have to be reversed because most people don't understand the science (I bet a lot of people still don't know footballs lose pressure in the cold) and the AFC championship was played at about 46 degrees. There are going to be footballs with A LOT lower PSI at some cold games. How could they impose the penalties then?

1st and 4th for taking the balls seems a bit light.

Well, Goodell wanted all the picks till 2019, but due to Bob's superior negotiating skills, Goody caved.:rolleyes:

This whole thing is madness. 1st and a 4th for taking balls to the can....

Going back to Sal Palentonio's column (which I believe was some speculation on his part) where he stated the NFL lawyers have told Goodell there is no punishment that will hold up in court and he needs a way out. Could this be the way out? All penalties reviewed at the end of the season?

It looks fair, but the penalties would almost have to be reversed because most people don't understand the science (I bet a lot of people still don't know footballs lose pressure in the cold) and the AFC championship was played at about 46 degrees. There are going to be footballs with A LOT lower PSI at some cold games. How could they impose the penalties then?
I wonder what the PSI was for the footballs used in the Ice Bowl. Assuming they were at 12.5psi I bet they went down to like 8.

That's it...I want an investigation into Vince Lombardi and Bart Starr!

Here's a good one:
Love that quote. There was the 12 man rule that changed but it's not like it was the reason we lost, players were running off the field anyways. But, we could have complained after the holding in 2007 or the officials in 2005 & 2006 but I'm glad our guys take the high road when we lose instead of changing the rules like the Colts and Ravens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News