PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Theory on the Defense and one other Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
First, let me start with the question...

I have asked this question so many times and not gotten an answer so here goes again...but why do players who are inactive get sent home? I can somewhat understand why players don't travel with the team...although that seems weird too. But, for home games...guys that are inactive literally get sent home and watch from their TV. Cyrus Jones, a healthy scratch was sent home. If being on the sideline with team is supposedly a distraction, why aren't they up in a box somewhere and then there with their teammates after the game? It's weird to me. If it's supposed to be a team sport, why are teammates at HOME during games? Seattle's injured players travel with the team and support the team on road games. I do not understand this and wish someone could explain it to me.

Secondly, the defense...in the wake of this Sheard news...I must say that obviously something is seriously up and wrong with this defense. My theory is that with all these defensive guys starting the year without security beyond this year....they may have developed some kind of negative energy and resentment towards Belichick. I'm sure they talk about it and were unhappy with it and I think it manifested itself with guys not giving the kind of effort they should. Is it wrong? Yes. Is it stupid? Yes. Because both Collins and Sheard have hurt their potential pay out in my opinion. But, I do get where they're coming from. They probably felt like they weren't going to be resigned and kind of have one foot out the door already. Sheard is probably going to be released or traded very soon in my opinion. I think some of these guys probably feel like they're not wanted and therefore probably don't care as much as they should've. Belichick built a promising young defense and now these guys are slowly but surely being sent out of town.

It's hard to really criticize Belichick because of his success...but something is not right here and I think it's starting to become a real problem.

We will know what's what in the Jets game and moreso the Denver game. May be too late.

I was asking the same question. If the team spirit is fine inactive and injured players on the sidelines should be no distraction. It was great to see Ben, Talib, Wolfe etc. .. and also some guys with season ending injuries firing up teammates from the sidelines. Obviously BB thinks differently. Id actually like to hear his motivation but I know we won't. Maybe you can ask Lombardi ..

Re. troubles with new breed of star players its not only NE problem .. even player-friendly coaches are complaining about the situation getting more and more difficult. New generations have trouble keeping their minds on the field. And its not only in football its all over. Virtual reality took over people's lives. And the ”I” or “selfy“ mentality took over people's souls. It will not be easy to turn this trend around.

I have asked this question so many times and not gotten an answer so here goes again...but why do players who are inactive get sent home? I can somewhat understand why players don't travel with the team...although that seems weird too. But, for home games...guys that are inactive literally get sent home and watch from their TV. Cyrus Jones, a healthy scratch was sent home. If being on the sideline with team is supposedly a distraction, why aren't they up in a box somewhere and then there with their teammates after the game? It's weird to me. If it's supposed to be a team sport, why are teammates at HOME during games? Seattle's injured players travel with the team and support the team on road games. I do not understand this and wish someone could explain it to me.

I was asking the same question. If the team spirit is fine inactive and injured players on the sidelines should be no distraction. It was great to see Ben, Talib, Wolfe etc. .. and also some guys with season ending injuries firing up teammates from the sidelines. Obviously BB thinks differently. Id actually like to hear his motivation but I know we won't. Maybe you can ask Lombardi ..

Again, I think we have been through this: There is an official policy about how the Patriots deal with injured/inactive players. They are generally not on the sidelines, only the active players are.

Why is Brissett you ask ? Well that was the question that beat reporters asked BB and he said that for QBs there is a difference. He can still learn a ****ton of things from the sidelines which is where he would have been without the IR in any case.

You have seen Wilfork or Mayo only very, very rarely on the sidelines when they were on IR or injured. And nobody was questioning their leadership or how much they were buying in.

When you hear that people are inactive because beat reporters have seen them walking away on the parking lot before games it's not because they are disappointed or angry but by design.

That's how BB runs his ship and so far history has proven him right.

Interesting. I was putting together some thoughts on this exact thing.

Obviously none of it is substantiated by any real proof. But I could see a scenario where Collins was the guy riling up the others, and thus jettisoned. Perhaps Sheard is foregoing his run responsibilities to try and run up sacks. The run D has been bad, and he's looked out of position on many rushes.

I've noticed Logan Ryan getting caught looking in the backfield or at the QB and letting guys go by. Again, not sure if that's a defensive playmcall thing or not doing his job thing, but there seem to be a lot more breakdowns than in the past.

Not sure how this all pieces together, if at all. But I remember being surprised that Collins wasn't named a captain early on, while High was. Maybe one of them was handling their contract situation better than the other. I don't know.

But I think there's a lot more to this than BB thinking a 3rd-rounder was worth more than a season of Collins.

troubles with new breed of star players its not only NE problem ... ............even player-friendly coaches are complaining ...........Virtual reality took over people's lives. And the ”I” or “selfy“ mentality took over people's souls. It will not be easy to turn this trend around.

The first positive step you can make here is..... put down your device. Immediately.
NAEFD.gif

Virtual reality took over people's lives. And the ”I” or “selfy“ mentality took over people's souls.

Do you yell at people to get off your lawn?

Not sure how this all pieces together, if at all. But I remember being surprised that Collins wasn't named a captain early on, while High was. Maybe one of them was handling their contract situation better than the other. I don't know.

I can't say anything about the other things you have written but if you have seen some behind the scenes videos with Collins you'd never think he is leadership/captain material. So I am not really surprised by that. Hightower always seemed a very mature individual (see Alabama tornado story [Dont'a Hightower values friend he saved from Tuscaloosa tornado]) and a born leader.

.... Re. troubles with new breed of star players its not only NE problem .. even player-friendly coaches are complaining about the situation getting more and more difficult. New generations have trouble keeping their minds on the field. And its not only in football its all over. Virtual reality took over people's lives. And the ”I” or “selfy“ mentality took over people's souls. It will not be easy to turn this trend around.

Interesting. Reality has to compete with virtual reality which could mean that players aren't certain which is more real--even with BB as their coach. Focus, focus... can you explain that! Do you mean on the screen? or on the field of play? I'm not sure that the "selfie" causes the divided soul--I think rather it's the two plains of existence at odds with one another.

I can't say anything about the other things you have written but if you have seen some behind the scenes videos with Collins you'd never think he is leadership/captain material. So I am not really surprised by that. Hightower always seemed a very mature individual (see Alabama tornado story [Dont'a Hightower values friend he saved from Tuscaloosa tornado]) and a born leader.

A born leader might be a bit exaggerated. My feeling is BB wants to make him a leader and High is taking on-the-field responsibilities with more assertiveness. I don't think he is the guy (at least not yet) who could lead the locker room in a situation like this (i do agree that no extension makes it even harder). A true leader on D is what the team obviously is missing and Ty Law pointed that out very well. A true leader can gather troops and can take a stand independently of coaches. Maybe with Mayo around this dismantling of top D talent would not happen in such frustrating manner, at least not mid season. Hope McCourty can step up and help.

Marty B on the other hand is a born leader in my view. A guy like that on the D would be golden right now. Since he came here not only to win but also to enjoy the whole experience - maybe he can take a ride with some of the D guys ..

I think the Pat's should just go ahead and start Cyrus Jones tomorrow. I mean he s used to playing the Chip Kelly offense, and can't be any worse than Rowe or Ryan.

You must have missed the latest article today quoting Lombardi saying Hightower has struggled demonstrating himself a "team leader" this year, and doesn't have the natural ability to lead that mayo did. He adds Hightower could become a good leader someday, but as of now needs to work harder and better at leading.

Lombardi: Patriots Defense Lacking Leadership In Front-Seven

Here you go

Interesting. Reality has to compete with virtual reality which could mean that players aren't certain which is more real--even with BB as their coach. Focus, focus... can you explain that! Do you mean on the screen? or on the field of play? I'm not sure that the "selfie" causes the divided soul--I think rather it's the two plains of existence at odds with one another.

Addictions with virtual realities are one thing. They are already #1 addictions worldwide in numbers and consequences according to some recent studies. I'll leave it at that since I guess this board is not a place for in-depth discussions on this topic (nor is my motivation big enough). Suffice to say that they have big and devastating influence on worldly responsibilities such as family, job, work-ethics etc.

To take it to the football level: Its a different world from the one that made BB the great coach he is. Collins f.e. went on the record that he is more interested in playing video games than watching/studying football/film .. and he was not the only one. BB on the other hand destroyed sponsor tablet on tv. This is both benign of course but it shows two different worlds .. colliding at times.

Addiction with the self is another thing .. and not benign at all .. taking its toll also in the context of “ultimate team sport“. (“selfies“ are just one minor manifestation of it)

PS
One can just observe how Fantasy Football is slowly (well not so slowly) and surely taking over the real game of football ..

After rewatching the game with no emotions to cloud my judgment, the defense was bad but nowhere near the sky is falling bad. Before I go any further, I have to give props to Prosise. Regardless of our errors, the guy came to play and made me want our own dual threat in Dion Lewis to hit the field asap.

Coleman had bad luck really. He was in great position on both of those long bombs he was targeted on. The first was a great throw and the second happened when he punched the guy in the face before he actually deflected the pass.

Sheard had a really bad game. He was ineffective rushing the passer and played the run with reckless abandon on back to back plays. He crashed as hard as he could to the inside and the runner easily went around him for big gains. It didn't look like anything that couldn't be fixed going forward, so his benching is a big deal imo.

McClellin. In the 1st quarter with 4:04 remaining, he is beaten on an in and out move so bad from Prosise that I was comfortable with the idea of him being cut on the spot. He doesn't look so bad as a true de but still pretty meh and I sort of hate him. So far he is the only player on the squad that I have given up on.

Logan Ryan. It is really about matchups for him. He struggles against quickness just like he did against Robert Woods earlier in the year. So it isn't really a surprise that Baldwin was able to shake him. But no one will give him props for blanketing Kearse.

Butler. Great effort, especially in the run game. The funny thing about Butler is he gets beat just as often as anyone else but he looks competitive while doing so. This somehow gives him a pass.

I didn't like our interior against the run. I won't panic because we have been pretty good there most of the year.

Chris long was a non factor. Disappointed he couldn't get Wilson down considering he is a former Ram that played him frequently.

With more discipline from our Dline, I believe we win that game.

Lastly, Brady is 100% to blame for Gronk's injury. It is not that Gronk was covered, it is the fact that Bennet was wide open on the left seam. Seattle's supposedly great D for the most part had no answer for Bennet. We just didn't use him enough.

I wish I could sell horseshyt...this thread would make me a multi-millionaire

All I will say is this...

I hope and pray.. that the political bloodbath that was the 2016 election, did not impact the locker room in too negative a way.

To think it had NO impact what so ever, I believe is nieve. I've seen family members relationships fractured over it. The notion that Bill and Brady's positions and involvement has left zero residue in the locker room seems unlikely.

I just hope that the impact was inconsequential and my concern is just a result of me overthinking it.

I think after this long and winding road of a losing streak, we can all take heart that BB may read all your insights and finally learn how to coach the defense properly. Hopefully TB can continue to take your coaching and end this dreadful slide before we end up slipping farther back from our betters. ;)

You must have missed the latest article today quoting Lombardi saying Hightower has struggled demonstrating himself a "team leader" this year, and doesn't have the natural ability to lead that mayo did. He adds Hightower could become a good leader someday, but as of now needs to work harder and better at leading.

Lombardi: Patriots Defense Lacking Leadership In Front-Seven

Here you go

Half of the stuff Lombardi says right now is hyperbole to break into the national media circus.

A leader is not someone who jokes around, keeps people relaxed and then shows up stoned in front of a police station before a playoff game. You don't have to be vocal to be a leader.. it's about respect.

Someone who in the middle of a devastating tornado runs out and risks his own life to save others has that intangible thing inside him that makes him a genuine leader. Now, whether Hightower becomes said leader or not is a different story. In the end all you can do is have the right people in the locker room and the struggles they go through right now could be exactly what they need for people to emerge.

Again, I think we have been through this: There is an official policy about how the Patriots deal with injured/inactive players. They are generally not on the sidelines, only the active players are.

Why is Brissett you ask ? Well that was the question that beat reporters asked BB and he said that for QBs there is a difference. He can still learn a ****ton of things from the sidelines which is where he would have been without the IR in any case.

You have seen Wilfork or Mayo only very, very rarely on the sidelines when they were on IR or injured. And nobody was questioning their leadership or how much they were buying in.

When you hear that people are inactive because beat reporters have seen them walking away on the parking lot before games it's not because they are disappointed or angry but by design.

That's how BB runs his ship and so far history has proven him right.

I am very aware that it is by design. I did not question it. My question was WHY is it by design? Why the hell would guys who are in the meetings all week with their teammates, out on the practice field, etc...be SENT HOME for games just because they are not playing? If you don't want them on the sideline, which I also don't really understand...then why wouldn't they be watching somewhere else in the stadium to be there for their teammates? It's very strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back