PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Vince Wilfork situation (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Wilfork are you for real!!!

Wilfork would earn $7M,only second to Tommy Kelly so I don't really know if it truly is a slap in the face but I think its not so much the money,its the delay of a long term contract.

No delay in a long turn contract, becasue through the pats history every player they have used the tag on has not signed a long term deal.

What I would be worried about is Wilfork's weight. He looked huge at the pro bowl.

That is the market because Daniel Snyder is a moron.

It may be a player's assumption about the market, but just like the idiots who were asking for obscene prices for their homes when the housing bubble started popping, they eventually came to understand that just because someone somewhere bought a house for a ridiculous price, it doesn't mean that it will happen again.

It may be a player's assumption about the market, but just like the idiots who were asking for obscene prices for their homes when the housing bubble started popping, they eventually came to understand that just because someone somewhere bought a house for a ridiculous price, it doesn't mean that it will happen again.

That could prove to be a very insightful analogy. The Pats don't want to be the sucker who paid a million for a property that would have probably sold for that last year but might be lucky to bring offers of $750K in a new CBA market.

No delay in a long turn contract, becasue through the pats history every player they have used the tag on has not signed a long term deal.

What I would be worried about is Wilfork's weight. He looked huge at the pro bowl.

LOL They have with other teams... The rock and a hard place Wilfork finds himself in though is next year the league may be locked out.

According to Tom Curran his weight and long term health are concerns here. He has talked about having to get in better condition or limit the time he spends at his present weight because of his family history (dad died of diabetes and mother had a stroke 6 months later - both were barely 40 at the time). Yet the media seems to think each season he shows up looking a tad flabbier and heavier...

Just tag and trade him. We could pick up a player like Dan Williams who would be better than Wilfork AND cheaper. Better and cheaper...I like that.

So you can conclude that someone who has yet to take a single snap in the NFL would be better than our best defensive player.

Who are you, Miss Cleo?

Just was watching NLFN and they were talking Wilfork. The feeling was that the Pats and Wilfork will get a deal done. If the Pats are going with the 4-3, then he needs to drop weight to get some sort of burst for a pass rush.

Just was watching NLFN and they were talking Wilfork. The feeling was that the Pats and Wilfork will get a deal done. If the Pats are going with the 4-3, then he needs to drop weight to get some sort of burst for a pass rush.
if the pats are going to the 4-3 then he needs to be traded

LOL They have with other teams... The rock and a hard place Wilfork finds himself in though is next year the league may be locked out.

According to Tom Curran his weight and long term health are concerns here. He has talked about having to get in better condition or limit the time he spends at his present weight because of his family history (dad died of diabetes and mother had a stroke 6 months later - both were barely 40 at the time). Yet the media seems to think each season he shows up looking a tad flabbier and heavier...

Fully aware of his health history but I thought compared to 2007 he looked a little bigger around the mid-section this season.

Flabby? No.

Fully aware of his health history but I thought compared to 2007 he looked a little bigger around the mid-section this season.

Flabby? No.

At the pro bowl, it jiggled... Curran was saying the real concern is he keeps saying he's going to get fitter, but he just seems to get bigger around the middle. And that middle is what will kill you. He was also saying he didn't know how that player would emerge from a protracted holdout let alone a lockout.

At the pro bowl, it jiggled... Curran was saying the real concern is he keeps saying he's going to get fitter, but he just seems to get bigger around the middle. And that middle is what will kill you. He was also saying he didn't know how that player would emerge from a protracted holdout let alone a lockout.

I thought he looked bigger. Just wasn't 100% sure.

I guess an extra 30lbs can make Vince look flabby:D

Last edited:
The Wilfork situation is directly a result of the CBA. Unfortunately for Big Vince, he is the opposite of a player like JeMarcus Russell who gets the outrageous contract without having to show that he can actually play in the league! Wilfork honored his contract, even though he had clearly outplayed the contract.

I would also pointy to David Givens situation. He signs the big Free Agent contract with an $8M signing bonus, then blows out his knee. He got two seasons from that contract plus the signing bonus. Wilfork will get his $7M under the franchise tag ( and he will play - sitting out training camp). However, Wilfork will take all the risk, hoping that he won't get hurt.

If he truly wants a long term contract, then he should lower his contract demands. Sounds like Wilfork wants it all. Big signing bonus and long term (big money deal). Without knowing what the new CBA will be, I wouldn't sign him to a long term deal.

Yes the team has some concerns about his weight and could put language into the contract to protect themselves. I for one would not trade him.

I just heard Tom E. Curran repeat the $20-$23 mil offer story. But he did not state the rest of the terms of the offer, which I think they should.

Felger on Sportstonight reports that Wilfork has turned down a 3 year $29 million dollar contract with $23 million guaranteed. Felger says that while he often criticizes the Patriots for being cheap, he feel that the Patriots are significantly overpaying Wilfork with this offer.

I guess what I just don't get about most of these guys is how much is enough?? A guy called in to Dale and Holley today who was a former NFL agent. He was saying some guys see the big picture, Brady, Bruschi, but the majority just see the comparison $$$ and get caught up in needing them to show respect... Givens wanted Randel El money on average, only saw two years of his deal somewhere he was an epic fail signing. Kraft would have carried him on IR probably for the whole $18M deal he was offered here...because he helped win 2 rings. Vince could have 20 some odd million guaranteed heading into a potential lockout season... He knows they can't not tag him in the alternative... Bianca needs to figure that out in time to get him to camp.

If Felger is right, that's a huge amount of money. I know the Bills HATE dealing with the Patriots, but I send Vince there ASAP for a 2nd round pick in this year's draft. I then take the savings from Vince's contract and I sign Karlos Dansby for $8 million.

if the pats are going to the 4-3 then he needs to be traded

You realize Wilfork made a name for himself playing (and dominating) as a 4-3 DT in college right?

I guess what I just don't get about most of these guys is how much is enough?? A guy called in to Dale and Holley today who was a former NFL agent. He was saying some guys see the big picture, Brady, Bruschi, but the majority just see the comparison $$$ and get caught up in needing them to show respect... Givens wanted Randel El money on average, only saw two years of his deal somewhere he was an epic fail signing. Kraft would have carried him on IR probably for the whole $18M deal he was offered here...because he helped win 2 rings. Vince could have 20 some odd million guaranteed heading into a potential lockout season... He knows they can't not tag him in the alternative... Bianca needs to figure that out in time to get him to camp.

It's not the amount, it's the longevity of the contract he's turning down. I believe he wants a minimum of 5 years.

3 year 29M with 23M guaranteed? That can't be right, but if it is, the Pats are SERIOUSLY overpaying for Wilfork and must have no faith in their rookie DT from last year from BC, forgot his name.

That's just a ridiculous contract.

He'll be hard to tag and trade because I doubt anyone offers him better than that. 7M for one year and then a supplemental 3rd, I guess.

You realize Wilfork made a name for himself playing (and dominating) as a 4-3 DT in college right?

He did. He was also lighter. I believe he can play a 4-3 but he needs to drop a couple of tons.

It's not the amount, it's the longevity of the contract he's turning down. I believe he wants a minimum of 5 years.

If the offer reported is correct there is no doubt that is the sticking point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST