PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Terrance Knighton case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of thoughts here, but the first is the devaluating of the big fatty, as people like to call them. Wilfork was much more than that, but the team, as well as the league, it seems, are trending towards quicker penetrators. The Easley experiment speaks to that.

The Pats have easily picked up a bunch at the pro level in Branch Knighton and Hicks and Valentine looks like a bargain in the third, while Brown was a bargain last pick round 1.

The game changes and our personnel needs in the front seven are much different now. Looks like penetrators are at a premium, big guys less so and much more affordable.

isn't pot roast suppose to be a monster against the run??? keep him for that reason only.

Already have Brown and Branch.....Brown is going to consume a lot of snaps this year

The question (I could not hear it) comes at the very end of the Q&A, at about 8:30

Bill Belichick 8/26: 'Our guys competed well tonight'

Well you know some new techniques, some new things... a little different things from what he has been used to doing.

You know we played the younger guys tonight, we didn't get as much of a look at him as some other players. He played a little more last week so, you know. I think there's good competition at the position. We'll just have to see how it all plays out.​

And with that an 'okay, thank you' and BB walked away.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Knighton's reaction? Sounds to me that he is convinced he is a dead man walking.

It’s always a concern (when you don't play).

I prepared myself to play. I just didn’t play. I don’t know. You’ve got to ask the coaches.

I’m 100 percent healthy. I prepared myself to play a lot of football tonight. It didn’t happen. It is what it is. I’m not asking why or anything. I’m just going to show up to work tomorrow and take it a day at a time.

I have faith in my abilities. I have faith in the coaching staff’s decision, whatever the decision was. I’m not looking for an explanation or anything. Just show up to work tomorrow, and I’ve still got a lot of ball left in me, so it is what it is.

It’s disappointing because I’ve played a lot of ball in this league, seen a lot of things, but I’m not going to make too much of it. It is what it is. Whatever happens, happens. If I’m here, I’m here. If I’m not, I’m not. I’m just taking it a day at a time really.​

Terrance Knighton disappointed by not playing: 'If I'm here, I'm here; If I'm not, I'm not'

Terrance Knighton disappointed after not playing in Carolina

Man, those headlines are cherry-picked to hell, don't capture the overall content of what he said at all.

Spends the whole time saying it's not a big deal and he isn't worrying much about it, then finally says the words "it's disappointing", while immediately clarifying that it's still not a big issue. And just like that every news outlet has it's misleading headline. Sports journalism is a joke.

Has knighton loss any pounds this offseason or he's still overweight? I am very dissapointed. I thought he would be a help.

I know we are all impressed with the large infusion of talented youth competing for roster spots, but veteran leadership is important and can't be dismissed.

BB is always building a team, and not just collecting talent.

As an example, that is a big reason why Develin is a virtual roster lock while some people are wanting him cut.

Too bad - He's a native New Englander, and from all accounts, a real nice guy.
That is why i am rooting for him to be part of this team, but he is just no Jonathan Freeney or Jake Bettequtte

good summary of the Pot Roast case tonight with quotes by TK and BB

Knighton on future after DNP vs. Panthers: 'If I'm here, I'm here...If I'm not, I'm not'

Still feel his upside is higher than Kuhn's along the season

Have you ever looked at Kuhn’s talent level? He is one of the most athletically gifted interior DL in the NFL.

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6046
Weight: 299
40 Yrd Dash: 4.97
20 Yrd Dash: 2.91
10 Yrd Dash: 1.67
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 28
Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'04"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.41
3-Cone Drill: 7.43

I think it is more likely that Belichick can coach him up then Knighton.

I think there is a strong case for BB's contention that he used the Carolina game as a chance to get a close look at a lot of young guys. Remember he had ERoberts and Valentine in there to start the game. On the other hand his seeming lack of impact this preseason is telling. It could just be that he's just not as good as the guys that are playing (Johnson, Valentine, and Kuhn)

Or maybe BB's seen enough of him in camp and on film to know what he has in Knighton, and doesn't see the need to waste preseason snaps on him. He is what he is. There is another case that speculates that Branch, Valentine and Knighton have a redundant skill set and we don't need 3 of them in the rotation, and either Branch or Knighton will be the odd man out.

Finally in Knighton's defense is that this defense is still very very young and there is a case for Knighton's vet leadership being a reason for keeping since Branch's in-house suspension seems to indicate there isn't much leadership expected from him.

Have you ever looked at Kuhn’s talent level? He is one of the most athletically gifted interior DL in the NFL.

Combine Invite: Yes
Height: 6046
Weight: 299
40 Yrd Dash: 4.97
20 Yrd Dash: 2.91
10 Yrd Dash: 1.67
225 Lb. Bench Reps: 28
Vertical Jump: 34 1/2
Broad Jump: 09'04"
20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.41
3-Cone Drill: 7.43

I think it is more likely that Belichick can coach him up then Knighton.
Kuhn sucks and always will.

Combine numbers are all that matter. They really don't even need to play the games, because they could just run the numbers to determine the winner.

BB will sometimes cut a vet 'early' to give them a chance to catch on elsewhere. That could be the case here, he and Branch are competing for 1 roster spot IMO.

At most 1, perhaps. What if BB goes totally young?

I still think he sticks.

They wanted a long look at Kuhn and Anthony Johnson.

Not crazy. They know who he is, but not so much with the younger guys.

That said, my guess is the opposite of yours.

Lots of thoughts here, but the first is the devaluating of the big fatty, as people like to call them. Wilfork was much more than that, but the team, as well as the league, it seems, are trending towards quicker penetrators. The Easley experiment speaks to that.

The Pats have easily picked up a bunch at the pro level in Branch Knighton and Hicks and Valentine looks like a bargain in the third, while Brown was a bargain last pick round 1.

The game changes and our personnel needs in the front seven are much different now. Looks like penetrators are at a premium, big guys less so and much more affordable.

But the Pats defense is what Mayo calls a "5-2", with 2 DTs. So to some extent BB is being a contrarian again.

Not crazy. They know who he is, but not so much with the younger guys.

That said, my guess is the opposite of yours.
Johnson is staying no question.

I'm just not sold on Kuhn. I think hes very very average

But the Pats defense is what Mayo calls a "5-2", with 2 DTs. So to some extent BB is being a contrarian again.

And if the two are sometimes big guys, he's got Brown, Branch and Valentine, if he's satisfied with that group. As much as i wonder about Kuhn, he and Anthony Johnson are in the more athletic mold. I also feel, value wise, he feels he can pick up an adequate big tackle if needed, since IMO, their stock is way down in the all passing defense mode the league has morphed into.

What a ridiculous assertion by some guy on an Internet forum referring to 1 of 2000 men who play football at the highest level in the world.

He isn't an elite NFL player but as our #4 DT we could do a lot worse..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye