PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Sophmore Leap - Spotlight on Jamie Collins

Status
Not open for further replies.

VJCPatriot

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
What is the sophomore leap? Well it's a phenomenon where the rookie player, who took his lumps in the 1st year, just takes it all to the next level in his 2nd year. The game slows down, they are comfortable in their role and they understand the system, so now they just can go after it, react more instinctively, and use their elite athleticism (that got them drafted in the first place).

The fact of the matter is that the Patriots core defense is still very YOUNG. Consider the defensive rookies we had on our roster last season, namely: Jamie Collins, Logan Ryan, Duron Harmon, Michael Buchanan, Steve Beauharnais, Joe Vellano, Chris Jones.

Just taking a case study of one of our own players what happened to Chandler Jones when he made his Sophmore leap?

Rookie season: 45 tackles 6 sacks 3 forced fumbles
Sophmore season: 79 tackles 11.5 sacks 1 forced fumble 1 fumble recovery

The leap in productivity is SIGNIFICANT. We see almost twice as many tackles and sacks as Chandler's rookie season. Better health is part of it, but simply being more experienced, and comfortable at the pro level is the other part, along with improvement in technical abilities due to coaching up from the New England staff.

Naturally, we all realized that Jones was special from his 1st season, so it's not a surprise that he successfully made the 'sophomore leap'. With the above cast of players named above poised to make a possible leap, who should we especially keep an eye on?

I feel the key candidate to make that leap is none other than Jamie Collins.

Rookie season: 43 tackles 1 fumble recovery 4 pass deflections.

I would not be at all surprised to see Collins double those numbers across the board. I envision Collins as the Patriots future at the SAM linebacker position, which slides Hightower over to MIKE with Mayo assuming the WIL position.

Collins possesses rare athleticism and length for the position, all the attributes that BB desires in a linebacker. Here's what BB had to say on Collins:

“He’s another guy who has worked hard, who has been a consistent guy out there every day in terms of being able to practice, being able to work on his techniques, get better, whether it be on the scout team or defensively or in the kicking game,” coach Bill Belichick said.
Source: Bill Belichick gives rookie LB Jamie Collins a vote of confidence | masslive.com

“First of all, he’s worked very hard,” coach Bill Belichick said. “He’s been very dependable and durable. He hasn’t missed anything all year. He started out playing not started out but he’s playing outside linebacker in regular, he plays off the line in some regular, he plays nickel linebacker. As you saw today, he’s out there split out tight end covering them on fade patterns and blitzing up the middle and he’s making tackles in line.

“I think he’s pretty comfortable wherever he is, whether he’s in line taking blockers or blitzing, or covering tight ends from in close. He’s a very versatile athlete that’s smart, works hard, really has a great team attitude. I love having him on our team.”
Source:It Is What It Is » Jamie Collins, Dont?a Hightower spark defense in playoff win over Colts

Get ready because he's coming and he could be better than ever entering his Sophmore season -- Jamie Collins. Our next X factor on Defense.

bos_g_collins_600x600.jpg

This is exactly the reason I am so stoked about the the defense this year. Forget about adding Browner and Revis. Forget about having Mayo, Vince, and Kelly coming back. The Pats are going to have no fewer than SIX second year defensive players who took a significant number of defensive snaps last season coming back anticipating a "2nd Year Leap" (Its 7 if you include Beauharnis who didn't play much, but comes back familiar with the system and in line to play more with Spikes and Fletcher leaving)

2nd year leaps aren't guaranteed, just ask Devin McCoutry. But by and large its not unreasonable to expect 2nd year players to significantly improve their play. When you add the addition of Revis and Browner, to the players coming back off of injury, to the large number of 2nd year players eligible for the "2nd year leap", you'd be hard pressed NOT to be VERY excited about our D this season.

We have solid to above average starters at every position. We have the cap room to improve the defensive depth. We have enough draft picks to add a few key players who will make the D more athletic, bigger and deeper. Yet none that will be required to coming in and start.

Collins is a perfect example of a talented rookie's ideal progression in his first year. The kid went from "where's Waldo" at the start of the season, and ended up being a key contributor in our playoff run.

In my humble opinion, he's the most exciting defensive prospect the Pats have drafted since Mayo. (Maybe even Seymour) Certainly he's the most explosive athlete the Pats have drafted. What makes him so compelling to me is his position flexibility. If I were DC, he wouldn't have a set position on the field. He would be my "match up nightmare" each week.

Based on who we played, I can see him taking out a TE threat in a man to man match up almost like a S. I can see creating match ups on the DL that will allow him to middle blitz matching him up on RB's and TE to block. I can see him lining up at the Sam, rushing against RB'and TE's. I can see him on the weakside next to Jones which could an awesome pass rush threat.

So from a down DE to ILB blitzer, to WLB rusher/coverage, to SLB rusher/run defender, to SS; this kid can be an impact player so many ways. And because you could use him so flexibly, his impact on other players will be enormous. Potentially his impact might be as big as Revis'.

The ONLY thing that I would be concerned about is throwing too much on the kid too soon. There is a part of me that might want to finally give the kid a position and let him learn it, before asking him to run around and be a Wildcard player. So maybe what I envision for him might be a couple of years down the road. Who knows, but it sure is exciting to contemplate. :D

Collins played safety, linebacker and defensive end in college. He IS versatile and IS familiar with defenses from a number of viewpoints. I liked the pick from the start and despite the cries of "bust!!" stuck with him through camp and preseason. I was of the opinion he should have gotten more reps early in the season but when injuries decimated the defense, Collins stepped in and injected energy and physicality to the defense.

Collins' athleticism and motor - undeniable.

He is in an amazing situation (new age pass happy league) where he can display his skills as an incredible coverage 'backer with nearly unlimited versatility. We've already seen flashes of the different roles; even playing press-man against Welker.

In college I called him the "garbage man", because his whole team really struggled so he would have to "clean-up" every play, even when he moved to DE.

It was then amazing to hear the criticism that some "scouts" questioned his durability/effort when he "seemed to wear down in games".
Personally, I saw him sprinting play after play in an attempt to save the day, seemingly running wind sprints on single drives.

As pro-wrestler Bart Scott once said, I "can't wait, feel great", about Jamie's future in Foxboro.

I think sky's the limit for Collins. God willing he can stay injury free. He's just an athletic freak. The type of player we normally don't have a chance at picking up in the draft because they usually are out of reach.

What I'd love to see is more of Collins rushing the passer. Whether its blitzing from the strong side, or him putting his hands on the dirt, I don't care. He was real productive as a DE in college, and his stats (and measurables) compared favorably to Dion Jordan, who was the number one pass rusher taken at that draft.

He can be the joker of this defense.

Collins played safety, linebacker and defensive end in college. He IS versatile and IS familiar with defenses from a number of viewpoints. I liked the pick from the start and despite the cries of "bust!!" stuck with him through camp and preseason. I was of the opinion he should have gotten more reps early in the season but when injuries decimated the defense, Collins stepped in and injected energy and physicality to the defense.
Gawd do remember his first couple of games. He was a Bust, he over pursues, doesn't know what to do, or here he belongs on the field, doesn't not smart enough to pick up a BB defense. So little patience around here sometimes.

What is the sophomore leap? Well it's a phenomenon where the rookie player, who took his lumps in the 1st year, just takes it all to the next level in his 2nd year. The game slows down, they are comfortable in their role and they understand the system, so now they just can go after it, react more instinctively, and use their elite athleticism (that got them drafted in the first place).

Rookie season: 45 tackles 6 sacks 3 forced fumbles
Sophmore season: 79 tackles 11.5 sacks 1 forced fumble 1 fumble recovery

The leap in productivity is SIGNIFICANT. We see almost twice as many tackles and sacks as Chandler's rookie season. Better health is part of it, but simply being more experienced, and comfortable at the pro level is the other part, along with improvement in technical abilities due to coaching up from the New England staff.

He didn't play much in the beginning of the season so his season stats per Reiss were 25.8% of defensive snaps 298/1156. If he plays 75% of the snaps as Hightower did or even 59.7% of the snaps as Spikes did, that prorates to a monster season (100+ tackles). He played all 65 snaps in the AFCCG.

Defensive snaps - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

If you look at the two playoff games that were the games that Collins saw the most reps of any games this past season he had – 13 tackles, 1 sack, 1 interceptions, 2 pass defends, and 1 run stuff. He was the Patriots best defensive player in both games in my opinion.

This might sound like a homer comment but Collins will be the best “overall” 4-3 LB in the NFL by the end of the 2015 NFL season. Von Miller will be a better pass rusher but in terms of overall play, he will lead the way.

If you look at the two playoff games that were the games that Collins saw the most reps of any games this past season he had – 13 tackles, 1 sack, 1 interceptions, 2 pass defends, and 1 run stuff. He was the Patriots best defensive player in both games in my opinion.

This might sound like a homer comment but Collins will be the best “overall” 4-3 LB in the NFL by the end of the 2015 NFL season. Von Miller will be a better pass rusher but in terms of overall play, he will lead the way.

Luke Kuechly and Lavonte David might have something to say about that. But if Collins is in that club, I'll take that regardless of whether he's first or third.

Luke Kuechly and Lavonte David might have something to say about that. But if Collins is in that club, I'll take that regardless of whether he's first or third.

I meant to say OLB.

I really like the way that the brain trust eased Collins into more and more playing time.. the dividends were obvious, rather than just throwing him to the wolves with high expectations...

I do think he is a special player.. another swiss army knife in the BB Toolbox...

Looks like Linebacker version of Troy Polamalu

Can cover and blitz. Qbs dont know if hes dropping in coverage or attacking LOS

I really have high hopes for Collins and Dobson, which is good because they were the first two selected. But I really love their draft class in general. But we'll see in a few years. 2010 looked like they hit it out of the galaxy (even guys like Cunningham who had a good game against Oher and the Ravens in the Deion Branch comeback game), but now it doesn't look quite as unbelievable, for various reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST