PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Sebastian Vollmer [OFFICIAL] Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
fair enough.....

I personally would like to see an alternating scenario between the two.
If Light matches up poorly against player x..... then Vollmer plays
Same scenario woul pertain to Vollmer.

What would the scenario be for this to play out? Vollmer did a nice job vs a smaller, speed rusher- which is something Light has historically done a good job of, but IMO I'd ride the hot hand at this point.

Against big guys in a 3-4, I'd still want Vollmer.

As far as Vollmer moving to RT, I don't see it. Kazur is there and although he had some tough snaps vs Mathis, has been pretty good this year.

IMO Light stays on the bench until Vollmer gets hurt or starts to show he is, in fact a rookie who was exposed.

How in the world does BB take him off the field now? He's proven he is a legitimate NFL Tackle? I am really enthused by what Sea-Bass has shown thus far. Nice problem to have going forward into the real season, Late November and December! Vollmer at 315 is intimidating, imagine him at 345!!!!! Wowsa!

Last edited:
What would the scenario be for this to play out? Vollmer did a nice job vs a smaller, speed rusher- which is something Light has historically done a good job of, but IMO I'd ride the hot hand at this point.

Against big guys in a 3-4, I'd still want Vollmer.

As far as Vollmer moving to RT, I don't see it. Kazur is there and although he had some tough snaps vs Mathis, has been pretty good this year.

IMO Light stays on the bench until Vollmer gets hurt or starts to show he is, in fact a rookie who was exposed.

I was PRO LT for VOLLMER but I got to thinking......

usually I am a pretty stubborn guy that sticks with his ideal.

(which would be Vollmer @ LT for majority)

The only thing that concerns me is lights ability to play RT. Can he? Even at the level of Seabass? Seabass is use to playing both positions. I personally think Vollmer is the best LT, but at the same time he can play a solid RT.

Light playing right concerns me a bit........ even thou I am pro Seabass at LT

we want to maximize our best usage of the O-line.....

I am really torn and this is a tough decision BB has in front of him. To be stronger @ LT or be very strong @ both tackles. Reasoning leads me to think that we want to play our best options on both sides to protect Brady.

I am not sold on Light........ at LT. This is his position and it is going to be a tough call.

Belichick took a poisition of "we don't know how Light would fare at right tackle," but I feel like he's going to examine that option if Kaczur isn't faring too well against a pass rusher.

I was PRO LT for VOLLMER but I got to thinking......

usually I am a pretty stubborn guy that sticks with his ideal.

(which would be Vollmer @ LT for majority)

The only thing that concerns me is lights ability to play RT. Can he? Even at the level of Seabass? Seabass is use to playing both positions. I personally think Vollmer is the best LT, but at the same time he can play a solid RT.

Light playing right concerns me a bit........ even thou I am pro Seabass at LT

we want to maximize our best usage of the O-line.....

I am really torn and this is a tough decision BB has in front of him. To be stronger @ LT or be very strong @ both tackles. Reasoning leads me to think that we want to play our best options on both sides to protect Brady.

I am not sold on Light........ at LT. This is his position and it is going to be a tough call.

Only one way to find out and the O-line isn't gonna post a reply here, I don't think. Seems nimble enough to play either side to me, but what do I know?

How in the world does BB take him off the field now? He's proven he is a legitimate NFL Tackle? I am really enthused by what Sea-Bass has shown thus far. Nice problem to have going forward into the real season, Late November and December! Vollmer at 315 is intimidating, imagine him at 345!!!!! Wowsa!

that is how I feel.... but do we continue to groom him at LT or use him as a better option for RT?

A. Does our Line inprove w/ Seabasss playing RT and Light LT?

B. Do we keep Vollmer @ LT to groom him for that position, which he is becoming a stud at.

so many QUESTIONS....... time will tell my Pats

Vollmer- Height: 6-8 Weight: 315

yes they do expect him to add upwards to at least 30lbs..... he has a big frame?

I bet we have more than a few big frames in this forum. :confused:

that is how I feel.... but do we continue to groom him at LT or use him as a better option for RT?

A. Does our Line inprove w/ Seabasss playing RT and Light LT?

B. Do we keep Vollmer @ LT to groom him for that position, which he is becoming a stud at.

so many QUESTIONS....... time will tell my Pats

Agreed, agreed and noted..... Nice position to be in though. Doncha think?!?

BB has already said Light's better on the left side. While Light is currently limited in practice, I'd sit him until he's full participation, then rotate him in with Vollmer and maybe Mankins/Neal to get him back into game shape, then we'll see. Vollmer has played very well as Light's substitute, taking him out now limits his development as he's in the best training program he could have to be heir apparent at LT - if he hadn't played as well as he has to date I'd say put Light back in for the Playoff push, since he has played well, it's a terrific problem to have - platoon him with Light the rest of the way to keep both fresh and ready.

I don't want to see Vollmer at 345, he'd lose his nimbleness which allows him to shut down the speed rushers. I think after a bit of strength and conditioning he will settle in at around 320-325, and with his athletic ability he could turn out to be an absolute monster at LT.

I like Light, he's a solid to above average LT, but we've seen the best Light can give, he's not getting any better. Vollmer has the potential to be even better. Why not see if Light can do a better job at RT than Kaczur? If you want your best talent on the field, you get Light and Vollmer both out there at the same time somehow.

I don't want to see Vollmer at 345, he'd lose his nimbleness which allows him to shut down the speed rushers. I think after a bit of strength and conditioning he will settle in at around 320-325, and with his athletic ability he could turn out to be an absolute monster at LT.

I like Light, he's a solid to above average LT, but we've seen the best Light can give, he's not getting any better. Vollmer has the potential to be even better. Why not see if Light can do a better job at RT than Kaczur? If you want your best talent on the field, you get Light and Vollmer both out there at the same time somehow.

Sounds very reasonable to me. I want the best talent going full-tilt come Sunday, every Sunday......The last 7 games of this season and any playoff games should be extremely interesting to see what happens regarding the O-line.....

BB has already said Light's better on the left side. While Light is currently limited in practice, I'd sit him until he's full participation, then rotate him in with Vollmer and maybe Mankins/Neal to get him back into game shape, then we'll see. Vollmer has played very well as Light's substitute, taking him out now limits his development as he's in the best training program he could have to be heir apparent at LT - if he hadn't played as well as he has to date I'd say put Light back in for the Playoff push, since he has played well, it's a terrific problem to have - platoon him with Light the rest of the way to keep both fresh and ready.

disagree Vollmer is a better LT...... BUT as a unit maximizing its potential Vollmer needs to go RT.

Vollmer>Lt than LIGHT

but as a ehole we r better w/ LightT as LT and Vollmer RT.

Vollmer at Left is great but to win this season keep Light at LT where he belongs.

Vollmer is better At left..... but Vollmer is better @ RT than the overrated Light.

My unarmed combat instructor claimed it took 2,000 repetitions to get your muscle memory trained to the necessary level. I can't find the link to the Globe's archives for their Patriots' blog, but I believe Reiss had worked out that the offense has taken around a 1,000 snaps/year in previous seasons, at game speed that's two full seasons, perhaps it can be sped up by the slower reps in practice, but probably not by much.

Kaczur was a 5 year LT in college and his rookie year with NE, it took him roughly 2.5 seasons to fully retrain his muscle memory for NFL speeds to play RT as well as he played LT as a rookie (my assessment - but it seems to be confirmed by his extension this season).

Light is a 5 year LT in college and a 9 season LT in NE. He has one season remaining on his current contract after this season. He's not going to be any better at RT than Kaczur and probably will play worse initially. Frankly I consider Light and Kaczur to be two peas in a pod, Kaczur was extended cost effectively, replacing him with Light makes little sense.

If Light were to be moved to the right side at all (and BB's recent remarks throw cold water on that thinking), I'd use him at RG where he won't be left on an island and his excellent run blocking can be exploited. At present let him get healthy and get back into game shape, then Scar and BB can figure out how to best use him.

My unarmed combat instructor claimed it took 2,000 repetitions to get your muscle memory trained to the necessary level. I can't find the link to the Globe's archives for their Patriots' blog, but I believe Reiss had worked out that the offense has taken around a 1,000 snaps/year in previous seasons, at game speed that's two full seasons, perhaps it can be sped up by the slower reps in practice, but probably not by much.

Kaczur was a 5 year LT in college and his rookie year with NE, it took him roughly 2.5 seasons to fully retrain his muscle memory for NFL speeds to play RT as well as he played LT as a rookie (my assessment - but it seems to be confirmed by his extension this season).

Light is a 5 year LT in college and a 9 season LT in NE. He has one season remaining on his current contract after this season. He's not going to be any better at RT than Kaczur and probably will play worse initially. Frankly I consider Light and Kaczur to be two peas in a pod, Kaczur was extended cost effectively, replacing him with Light makes little sense.

If Light were to be moved to the right side at all (and BB's recent remarks throw cold water on that thinking), I'd use him at RG where he won't be left on an island and his excellent run blocking can be exploited. At present let him get healthy and get back into game shape, then Scar and BB can figure out how to best use him.

That is where my argument begins....... Vollmer who I like the best @ LT better than Light..... Vollmer essentially is still a better option at RT than Light. I want to maximize the O-ilne to its fullest... therefore even though Vollmer is a better LT.... him @ RT makes more sense than Light at RT.

disagree Vollmer is a better LT...... BUT as a unit maximizing its potential Vollmer needs to go RT.

Vollmer>Lt than LIGHT

but as a ehole we r better w/ LightT as LT and Vollmer RT.

Vollmer at Left is great but to win this season keep Light at LT where he belongs.

Vollmer is better At left..... but Vollmer is better @ RT than the overrated Light.
Who overrates Light? A majority on this forum want him gone years ago, ignoring the fact that Scarnecchia has kept Light as the starting LT for nine seasons. Most also attack Kaczur while ignoring that he's in his fourth season as a starter for Scarnecchia - and his four year extension gives them a bad case of hemorrhoids. :D

I don't know if Vollmer is a better LT than Light, he's played very well against some good edge rushers. Before the season I expected he would be groomed for Light's replacement at LT, he's cheaper than Light and is developing nicely in the job I projected for him - replacing Kaczur with Vollmer makes little sense to me.

That is where my argument begins....... Vollmer who I like the best @ LT better than Light..... Vollmer essentially is still a better option at RT than Light. I want to maximize the O-ilne to its fullest... therefore even though Vollmer is a better LT.... him @ RT makes more sense than Light at RT.
Kaczur is a better RT than most seem willing to credit. Replacing him with Vollmer is going backwards, not forwards.

Kaczur is a better RT than most seem willing to credit. Replacing him with Vollmer is going backwards, not forwards.

why do you say that???? Has Vollmer been given a chance @ RT?

no he has not....

Light is a very good LT..... not as good as vollmer imo..... but solid non the least. If Vollmer is dominant on the Right Side w/ a productive Light @ Left.... who is to say this idea is wrong?

I love Vollmer @ LT.... but we need to weigh down all possibilities for betterment.:)

Are you kidding?
Kaczur is vulnerable to both the bull rush and the quick outside move.
Run blocking is only fair
If anything he has regressed over the years.
There is no way to keep Seabass on the bench while Light and Oxy "K" bookend the O'line

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft