PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Sebastian Vollmer [OFFICIAL] Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
why do you say that????
My lying eyes of course, aided by a little DVR magic and the inescapable if troublesome fact that Kaczur has been a four year starter for Dante Scarnecchia and Bill Belichick, and he was extended for four more years this season. ;)
Has Vollmer been given a chance @ RT?

no he has not....
Define chance. For the record, he's taken snaps at RT this season.

While we're on the subject, let's examine a few recent moves:

2008 LeVoir signed off waivers - moves ahead of Britt as #3 OT.
2009 Vollmer drafted - high by pundit standards.
2009 Britt and O'Callaghan let go.
2009 Kaczur extended to much gnashing of teeth from the fans.
2009 LeVoir extended despite starting the season on PUP.

LeVoir was an excellent Swing Tackle last season, he's been rewarded. For the record, he played LG and RT in college. He didn't move ahead of Kaczur last season, he's most likely the #3 OT of the future.

Vollmer is settling in at LT, moving him to a new position isn't as much of an upgrade to the O-line as you might think. Folks looking for him to move to RT aren't thinking long term - Vollmer is the LT of the future, everything that's happened with the kid points in that direction - keep him working where you expect to play him (at least where I expected him to play), moving him around doesn't plan for the seasons to come.

Are you kidding?
Kaczur is vulnerable to both the bull rush and the quick outside move.
Run blocking is only fair
If anything he has regressed over the years.
There is no way to keep Seabass on the bench while Light and Oxy "K" bookend the O'line
The numbers I've seen from people assessing O-line play say differently about Kaczur - which matches with my lying eyes and DVR.

Who said anything about benching Vollmer? I've clearly stated I want to keep him at LT and at worst rotate him with Light to keep both up to speed. I just don't want to replace Kaczur with Vollmer in what I consider a shortsighted move that would seem more likely to hurt the line cohesion during the push to the Playoffs.

My lying eyes of course, aided by a little DVR magic and the inescapable if troublesome fact that Kaczur has been a four year starter for Dante Scarnecchia and Bill Belichick, and he was extended for four more years this season. ;)Define chance. For the record, he's taken snaps at RT this season.

While we're on the subject, let's examine a few recent moves:

2008 LeVoir signed off waivers - moves ahead of Britt as #3 OT.
2009 Vollmer drafted - high by pundit standards.
2009 Britt and O'Callaghan let go.
2009 Kaczur extended to much gnashing of teeth from the fans.
2009 LeVoir extended despite starting the season on PUP.

LeVoir was an excellent Swing Tackle last season, he's been rewarded. For the record, he played LG and RT in college. He didn't move ahead of Kaczur last season, he's most likely the #3 OT of the future.

Vollmer is settling in at LT, moving him to a new position isn't as much of an upgrade to the O-line as you might think. Folks looking for him to move to RT aren't thinking long term - Vollmer is the LT of the future, everything that's happened with the kid points in that direction - keep him working where you expect to play him (at least where I expected him to play), moving him around doesn't plan for the seasons to come.

That is the predicament we r in I love Vollmer for LT..... but we have a solid LT in LIGHT...... do we spread it by giving Light LT and using Vollmer for RT?

I personally believe Vollmer is the best at LT.... but from this years standpoint does that make the most sense????

Vollmer could be a stud RT this year as well....

it is a decision BB needs to make even if my man Vollmer is the Best LT OPTION. He could However be a solid RT and aid us on BOTH SIDES.

It is a tough call that I luckily do not have to make.

it really is a tough decision:mad:

The numbers I've seen from people assessing O-line play say differently about Kaczur - which matches with my lying eyes and DVR.

Who said anything about benching Vollmer? I've clearly stated I want to keep him at LT and at worst rotate him with Light to keep both up to speed. I just don't want to replace Kaczur with Vollmer in what I consider a shortsighted move that would seem more likely to hurt the line cohesion during the push to the Playoffs.

Gotta a DVR too BOX
Kaczur's the weakest link on that "O'line" and our Einstein OC can't seem to scheme around it enough to protect TB in crunch time.
Rotating Seabass is OK but ignoring Oxy K's liabilities will cost us against the playoff teams.
BB played Sanders and extended him as well
I believe he has gone in another direction on that one.
Why not the "Wall"
Just sayin.....

As a huge VOLLMER LT scenario???? Does it make the most sense?

Vollmer>Kazur at RT

but Vollmer > Light @ LT......

w/ this being said why do we shift Light to Right even thou he has seen the majority of his snaps ftom \the Left.??? A player like VOLLMER can play a better RT tha a LIGHT who has seen the majority of the action from the left side. I want to maximize the potency of our O-Line........ Light to LT and my man VOLLMER to RT...... it seems like less of an adjustment. Vollmer is BETTER at LT and RT.... but Light is solid at LT... why gamble??????? Even despite a weaker LT in Light we gain ina stronger RT in Vollmer....... I do not believe Light can play a sufficient RIGHT TACKlE YouTube - Bill Belichick's Call to Pats Fans

Gotta a DVR too BOX
Kaczur's the weakest link on that "O'line" and our Einstein OC can't seem to scheme around it enough to protect TB in crunch time.
Rotating Seabass is OK but ignoring Oxy K's liabilities will cost us against the playoff teams.
BB played Sanders and extended him as well
I believe he has gone in another direction on that one.
Why not the "Wall"
Just sayin.....
I figured you did, doesn't mean we have to agree. :D

Here's the 2008 run blocking grades from KC Joyner: Point of attack: Patriots run blocking - AFC East Blog - ESPN

This web site has their own ranking, they also have total snaps and the number of sacks, hurries, and pressures they score for each OL.
ProFootballFocus.com - Home

Here are their 2009 rankings. Tackles, Guards, and Centers are each ranked seperately, in this case Kaczur is their #16 ranked OT in the NFL.

Ranking:
Neal - 1
Vollmer - 5
Koppen - 9
Kaczur - 16
Mankins T - 18
Light - T-42

For sacks, hurries, and pressures I broke down the number of each/total snaps, Kaczur is the worst of them in the sack category, but does a little better in hurries and pressures.

Sacks:
Koppen 0/621
Vollmer 0/323
Mankins 1/334.5
Neal 1/319
Light 1/178
Kaczur 1/166.8

Hurries:
Neal 1/638
Mankins 1/334.5
Vollmer 1/323
Koppen 1/310.5
Kaczur 1/133.4
Light 1/118.7

Pressures:
Koppen 1/124.2
Neal 1/91.1
Mankins 1/60.8
Kaczur 1/55.6
Vollmer 1/40.4
Light 1/32.4

Hark - Vollmer is ranked as their #5 OT in 2009. If this is a fairly accurate ranking, it makes little sense to move him to RT. I disagree with your idea of moving Vollmer to RT and reactivating Light at LT.

In my humble opinion, the best way to take advantage of the Vollmer's somewhat unexpected emergence as a quality LT, would be to trade Light for another position of need, say at linebacker. Although this would not maximize the OL's potential, it would theoretically provide maximum team benefit, absent of injury, of course, to the aforementioned OL.

Obviously this is a long term plan, and cannot be accomplished this season, which may or may not render this entire opinion moot depending on the time frame and/or scope of this thread. :eek: :D

Long term I'd love to see Vollmer take the LT role, but for the meantime with Matt Light coming back, Kaczur appears to be the wink leak on the offensive line so putting Vollmer there would be fine with me.

No, that's not a knee-jerk reaction to Mathis abusing him during the Colts game either.

Seriously, I know little about line play, but i do have eyes. I saw Kaczur beat a number of times where he made contact, pushed him once in the chest and then gave up and let Mathis go right to the quarterback.

Am I unsophisticated and that's some sort of technique?

I'm actually being serious here, that's what I saw.

I would say he was standing flatfooted, or it seemed so.

Last edited:
Like I said before I am the biggest advocate for Vollmer at LT....

after watching Kazcur get beat by Mathis..... it makes me wonder how we are as a UNIT...... Something needs to be fixed on that side.

I was playing devils advocate w/ Vollmer in moving him to RT.....

you all know the cliche-..... "You are as strong as your weakest link"

it is true in many circumstances.... especially sports.:)

I am curious to see what BB devises on this front. I would keep Vollmer @ LT for grooming and ( him being the best LT option).

but as we analyze our strengths up front.... we need to think about our ability of maximizing a units strength to its FULLEST. Where there is a predominant strength... there is usually a weakness present somewhere on that line. I am calling out the RT position..... and it needs to improve.

Seriously, I know little about line play, but i do have eyes. I saw Kaczur beat a number of times where he made contact, pushed him once in the chest and then gave up and let Mathis go right to the quarterback.

Am I unsophisticated and that's some sort of technique?

I'm actually being serious here, that's what I saw.

I would say he was standing flatfooted, or it seemed so.
Is Kac an All-Pro? The simple fact of life on the OL is guys get beat because those fellows playing across from them are getting paid too - usually much, much more than you are. Right now NE has four OT who when called upon to start have gotten the job done. They can't all play at the same time and for purposes of Line cohesion BB and Scar pick two starters and play them consistently, working the other two in as injuries, game conditions, and special formations permit. Scar chose Light and Kaczur to start. Other people watching the same games can tell me I'm full of crap with my assessment of their play, but at the end of the day those are the guys Scar has on his line.

This discussion started because Vollmer has looked very good as an injury replacement after facing off with some of the better pass rushers in the NFL. Plugging Light back in and sitting Vollmer, or leaving Vollmer in and sitting Light is not a major move on the line BECAUSE of Light's experience and Vollmer's extended playing time as an injury replacement - benching Kaczur for Vollmer IS a major move. One you hope you don't have to make two-thirds of the way through the season heading towards the Playoffs.

Light started for nine seasons and he's been called every name in the book, with some idiots even calling for him to sit in favor of O'Callaghan who is now with KC. Kaczur has started for four seasons and was just extended - he's catching the same vitriol Light catches. You'd think a guy BB calls the best OL coach in the NFL would know to ask for upgrades if his OTs couldn't keep that QB upright. So your lying eyes, my lying eyes, it doesn't matter, Kaczur is starting for Scar - my guess is he stays in the job, but heh, being wrong is an art and only politicians can screw it up as much as I can. :D

Kaczur getting beat a few times is certainly not the end of the world. Box said it best and won't rant other than to say you need to look at percentages. Based on the percentage of times a player blows it, Kaczur is doing FAR better than Brady this year.

disagree Vollmer is a better LT...... BUT as a unit maximizing its potential Vollmer needs to go RT.

Vollmer>Lt than LIGHT

but as a ehole we r better w/ LightT as LT and Vollmer RT.

Vollmer at Left is great but to win this season keep Light at LT where he belongs.

Vollmer is better At left..... but Vollmer is better @ RT than the overrated Light.

There is no question that Light today is a superior LT to Vollmer. I can only hope that Vollmer develops into as good a player as Light has been as a Pat. Of course, since every LT allows sacks, and this board villifies any player in the vicinity when the other team actually does their job effectively, it won't be long before Vollmer gets ripped here too.

There is no question that Light today is a superior LT to Vollmer. I can only hope that Vollmer develops into as good a player as Light has been as a Pat. Of course, since every LT allows sacks, and this board villifies any player in the vicinity when the other team actually does their job effectively, it won't be long before Vollmer gets ripped here too.

In other words it won't be long before the Berlin Wall comes down..

In other words it won't be long before the Berlin Wall comes down..

This Berlin wall will not get torn down.

Mikhail Gorbachev TEAR DOWN THAT WALL!!!!

No Frigging way this Berlin Wall is coming down anytime soon.

The guy is from Dooseldorf/Kaarst.....

Not even close to Berlin..... nice name even if it doesn't make sense.:confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes