PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Sanctioned FA 4PM Tracker Thread (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rather have Jabar Gaffney back.

I like Gaffney as well but think Moss' speed would be better for stretching the field. I think he is very underrated and he is affordable.

Hoyer got the second round tender. So if they sign him to an offer sheet, it is the second round pick.

That`s the minimum tender we could offer though. Doesn`t mean we wouldn`t accept less in a trade.

Yes. You have no idea how much I hate the Browns.

Given the choice of both the Pats and Browns improving or neither improving you would take the latter?

I think there's a decent chance...Royal hasn't signed with the Skins though. Still looking at other teams. They may want to keep Gaffney anyway.

Yeah, I'm actually hoping that Royal signs with them. There's no way they could keep Gaffney AND Santana Moss, to go along with Fred Davis--their franchised TE.

Even if Royal doesn't sign, I wonder if Gaffney would be a cut option for them?

If not, I don't think it'd take a lot to get him anyway; although I couldn't possibly imagine Belichick trading for him either.

If he ends up a cut casualty, then I think they should definitely bring him back.

I like Gaffney as well but think Moss' speed would be better for stretching the field. I think he is very underrated and he is affordable.

Gaffney out played Moss last year. Moss had 46 catches for 584 yards and 4 TDs in 12 games. Gaffney had 68 catches for 947 yards and 5 TDs in 16 games. Gaffney is two years younger. Moss is going to be 33 and may have hit the age wall last year.

Gaffney out played Moss last year. Moss had 46 catches for 584 yards and 4 TDs in 12 games. Gaffney had 68 catches for 947 yards and 5 TDs in 16 games. Gaffney is two years younger. Moss is going to be 33 and may have hit the age wall last year.

But Gaffney isn't named Moss. Apparently we need to either have one of those or talk about it until we do.

Bills havent locked him up yet!
But wait, that can't be. There have already been posts on this board saying he is locked up. Do you really mean overrecting to those rumors is somehow wrong?

The numbers seem pretty comparable to me. He is only two years older but I guess given that Gaffney has had success in the system before that's the difference. Maybe I'm buying to much into speed.

I'm not convinced that S.Moss would be a horrible signing either, and there were many who brought the possibility up last yr.

With Gaffney though, you already are guaranteed that he knows the system and has a good football sense with Brady.

In my opinion, we may not even actually need anything more than Gaffney and a draft pick. He'd be an improvement over Branch. We'd still have Welker and the 2 TE's. And we still have Ochocinco, at least at the current moment. Then there's the draft pick (hopefully), and Edelman. There's still the possibility of bringing Branch back too.

Sure, we'd all love to have something much better than Gaffney, but when you consider their success last yr with 'just' Branch, Belichick may not feel that WR is anywhere near as much of a need as the majority of us here.

Lloyd is my first choice obviously, but that may not happen. After that you go down pretty far into a whole other tier of WR's, and Gaffney may very well be better than anyone else that is out there--since he already has proven that he can play here.

Last edited:
That`s the minimum tender we could offer though. Doesn`t mean we wouldn`t accept less in a trade.

It is a possibility, but I don't know if the Pats would be quick to trade him for less than second round value. They might not get the 37th pick, but they will most likely get a second rounder value.

Since the Skins signed Morgan and Garcon, and are apparently looking hard at Royal too, does anyone think that there'd be a chance at getting Gaffney back?

He knows the system, has a good football relationship/trust with Brady, and wouldn't command a lot of money.

I'm not suggesting that he'd be the ultimate WR signing, but I'm damn sure there could be a place in the WR core here for him too.

I posted about Gaffney as a nice possible 'get' some time back, so I'm with you (can't remember which thread)....

Lloyd
Welker
Gaffney
Rookie (Hill or Adams)/Johnson/Branch/Underwood
Edelman
Slater

I'd be quite pleased heading into camp with that group.

Last edited:
Williams' agent is doing good work. Smart to take him to the obvious highest bidder first to set the market for the rest of his tour.

But wait, that can't be. There have already been posts on this board saying he is locked up. Do you really mean overrecting to those rumors is somehow wrong?

Yep :D. It is fun to see what can happen though. A big part of me thought they had him locked up but a little part said NO WAY, why would super mario go to the bills?

The numbers seem pretty comparable to me. He is only two years older but I guess given that Gaffney has had success in the system before that's the difference. Maybe I'm buying to much into speed.

Really?!? Moss averaged 3.8 catches and 48.7 YPG. Gaffney averaged 4.3 catches and 59.2 YPG. That doesn't seem like a lot, but that is a significant difference for a WR. Moss clearly has a better in TDs per game.

As for age, Moss will be 33 in June. Gaffney turned 31 in December. It is actually 2 1/2 years and at Moss' age that can be very significant.

Yep :D. It is fun to see what can happen though. A big part of me thought they had him locked up but a little part said NO WAY, why would super mario go to the bills?

I'm pretty sure that the rumor started with some Bills fan blogger posting that they flew down to get him, took him to dinner and intended to sign him immediately, and everyone ran with it.
Those are poor sources usually.
No matter how much the Bills want to sign him, he has to want to sign. I can't imagine there is an amount of money that makes moving to Buffalo NY so exciting that you tell your agent stop now and please don't see if any other teams will offer more.

Aaron Wilson ‏ @RavensInsider
Free agent cornerback Richard Marshall announces on Twitter that he's on his way to visit the Dolphins

This is one FA I was hoping NE would go after. I believe he could be a solid pickup with an affordable pricetag.

Really?!? Moss averaged 3.8 catches and 48.7 YPG. Gaffney averaged 4.3 catches and 59.2 YPG. That doesn't seem like a lot, but that is a significant difference for a WR. Moss clearly has a better in TDs per game.

As for age, Moss will be 33 in June. Gaffney turned 31 in December. It is actually 2 1/2 years and at Moss' age that can be very significant.

I mean four of the games were with John Beck throwing him the ball too, and that's a third of his season.

This is one FA I was hoping NE would go after. I believe he could be a solid pickup with an affordable pricetag.

Me too. I thought that he could also provide veratility too since he filled in quite nicely for ARZ last yr at free safety. Another CB who has the potential to fill in several different spots.

Marshall was one of my FA hopes for sure. The thing is, I'm not convinced that the NEP feel as though they have a huge need at some of these positions that we fans seem to think.

I wanted Marshall b/c I thought it could also help to right the ship at the safety position, depending on their choice of who would be the best fit.

Worse off, he's visiting the fish..

I mean four of the games were with John Beck throwing him the ball too, and that's a third of his season.

Beck was throwing Gaffney the ball in those games too and that was 1/4 of his season. Also, two of the four games that Moss missed were games that Beck started. So Moss only had Beck throwing to him in two games last year while Gaffney had Beck throwing to him for four games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents