PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The road to the playoffs, the only way in is the AFC East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, the Pats and Dolphins will have the same common opponent record in a 11-5 tiebreaker situation. Both teams lost to their two games based on last year record. The Pats lost to the Colts and Steelers and the Dolphins lost to the Texans and Ravens. The rest of the game are the same opponents. The Dolphins would win the conference record tiebreaker.

The Pats can't win the tiebreaker with either team at 11-5.
Thanks...a bit confusing but you are 100% correct...I had it wrong first...and corrected it...NOT looking like a tie will help at all...in a 3 way, the Fins win...and ONLY if the Ravens are out do the Pats go...but a 3 way at 11-5 is impossible..

Last edited:
With the Cardinals clinching the NFC West yesterday (wow, did I really just type that?), adds some intrigue to there game against the Pats. Do they rest Warner and other players?

Trouble is the Seahawks looked better last night without Hasslebeck than they have with him.
This is the Cards first play-off campaign since 1998 or something like that,I don't think they're going to rest their starters down the stretch, seem to
remember it didn't work out so well for teams that did that last season;The Giants won the SB from a wild card place (I think) getting better every game from early December onwards, that will be seen as the way to go.
Anyway it would be just our luck this season that Leinhart steps up to the plate and tosses 400 yards and no picks.

Last edited:
The Cardinals would have to win out to get the first round bye. If they lose next week then their position in the playoffs is either #3 or #4. They would have not much left to play for in week 16. Especially on the road.

As for catching Baltimore, they are on a roll and the only way to take their spot is if they lose 2 of the next 3. Hopefully Pittsburgh knocks the wind out of them next week.

The Cardinals would have to win out to get the first round bye. If they lose next week then their position in the playoffs is either #3 or #4. They would have not much left to play for in week 16. Especially on the road.

True especially considering it's not going to help their conference record. Under normal circumstances though I think they'd torch us.

Last edited:
All we can do is take care of business over the next three weeks and hope for help with the Wildcard from the Steelers and Cowboys against the Ravens. Whatever happens, I am so proud of this team!!!

I posted out here a few weeks ago that I thought the Dolphins had the cleanest shot to win the Division with their remaining schedule and, unfortunately, I was right.

Bottomline
if jets and fins win next 2 and balt wins 1 of 2, pats last game at Buf is kinda meaningless regardless if we win next two....i think
if balt drops 2 then jets need to beat miami in the last game for us to go in as WC

Ok, lets try and clean this up a bit, at least for the AFCE Divsion winner:

Current record and games left
Mia 8-5 - SF, @KC, @ NYJ
NYJ 8-5 - Buf, @Sea, Mia
NE 8-5 - @Oak, Arz, @Buf

Current Divisional Record (first tie breaker)
NYJ - 3-1
NE - 3-2
Mia - 3-2

Current record against common opponents (second tie breaker)
Pats - 5-1
Mia - 5-1
NYJ - 4-3

So, its really quite simple. the NYJs have to lose divisional games. If they lose to either Mia or Buf, the first tie breaker will be even and give either Mia or NE an upper hand.

It then comes down to common opponents and we need to overtake Mia there. If, Mia and NE both win out, they would be even on the divisional record and common opponents. The third Tie Breaker is conference record and mia has the edge there (6-4 vs 5-5).

Therefore, it is conceivable that the Pats miss the playoffs even if they win out if either a)the Jets win out or b)Mia wins out.

Last edited:
The only thing that would truly piss me off is going 11-5 and not getting into the playoffs. I think if this team pulls it off and is still the odd one out, it would be a shame that they don't get a shot at the postseason. I could accept not making it at 10-6 because if we lose any of these games (especially now that AZ has nothing to play for and it is a 1 pm home game against a west coast team), then we do not deserve it. But 11-5 and not getting in would be a true heartbreaker moreso than actually losing a playoff game.

The interesting thing will be if Mia and NE both win out. They would be even on the divisional record and common opponents.

What's the next tie breaker factor then? Conference record?

Last edited:
Yeah, just edited my post with that information as well.

So what we really need is for Miami to some how lose at KC & then for them to win at the Jets. Tall task I'd say.

So what we really need is for Miami to some how lose at KC & then for them to win at the Jets. Tall task I'd say.

They need to lose to either SF or KC.

The Jets need to lose to either Mia or Buf.

The ideal situation would be for the Jets to lose to Buf but beat Mia. That would give NE the divisional tiebreaker over Mia and the Common Games tiebreaker versus the Jets, even if the Pats lose to Arz.

Last edited:
The Pats are 21-2 in the month of December since 2003 and have won 9 straight December games. If we can make it 12 straight wins in December, I like our chances of making it. First order of business is to take care of our own business and then let the chips fall where they may.

In my opinion, if those other teams win out then they deserve it as well and you just have to tip your hat to them and move on. If for ex, Baltimore wins out and beats Pitt and Dallas then they deserve to get in to the tournament.

I have a hunch though that the Bills will beat the Jets this week.

Last edited:
good and vital that yesterday we won

let's hope in Buffalo next week but we have to think first of all about Oakland

buit, anyway, surely an entertaining season for our beloved Patriots

with all happened we are still alive, still in the hunet and 8-5 without so many players and with everything against us

11-5 looks the only way we can go ahead

we have to look Bills @ Jets next week too

Actually, I think the more realistic thing to happen is that the Jets lose to the Bills and then beat the Dolphins at the end of the season.

Actually, I think the more realistic thing to happen is that the Jets lose to the Bills and then beat the Dolphins at the end of the season.

Yes, this week is a big one. Well, I guess they all are from here on. But a tough divisional matchup for the Jets this week. An inspired SF team vs the dolphins. We will definitely begin to get some clarity on the playoff picture after Sunday.

They need to lose to either SF or KC.

The Jets need to lose to either Mia or Buf.

The ideal situation would be for the Jets to lose to Buf but beat Mia. That would give NE the divisional tiebreaker over Mia and the Common Games tiebreaker versus the Jets, even if the Pats lose to Arz.
if jets and miami drop any game whether its kc/sf/seattle/buff and pats win out then thats the best case scenario. it doesnt matter who both of them lose to anymore i think if the pats win out.

Yes, this week is a big one. Well, I guess they all are from here on. But a tough divisional matchup for the Jets this week. An inspired SF team vs the dolphins. We will definitely begin to get some clarity on the playoff picture after Sunday.

Sf will be without gore which i think is a big facotr.
For the jets i think the pats exposedthem even in the loss and any team with a good passing attack like SF and Denver will give them issues. fortunately for them the bills havent scored a TD in 2-3 games or something and miami doesnt pass that well either. Seattle a little but not like martz or shanahan. So the opponent matchup kinda favors the jets.

Holley thinks SF could take Miami this week...and the thinks the Jets will lose one easily....but I wonder MORE about Miami...they have been playing better of late..What is good is that BOTH the Jeets and Fins will be on early...

Holley thinks SF could take Miami this week...and the thinks the Jets will lose one easily....but I wonder MORE about Miami...they have been playing better of late..What is good is that BOTH the Jeets and Fins will be on early...

iam not sure abt SF , travelling to miami without gore.jets dont see a passing attack like the pats/broncs/SF anymore. holley is always more than optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News