PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The real question...Woods and Crable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: the real question.....woods and crable

This is always a good point to emphasize. So many posters want to cut, cut, cut, without giving a prospect time to develop. Need to realize that the maturity period for players varies wildly.

Exactly, not to make comparisons but to highlight this thought in his first two seasons Tedy Brushi had 35 tackles, Woods has 26. Some players need more time to develope, to learn their role. To just cut everyone who has not produced the first year seems a little premature

I was really hoping during TC that Woods was going to take that next step, because I think even then we all realized that we didnt have enough solid OLBs and his evolution was necessary to having a solid D, though TBC has given us more than I personally thought

Don't forget that right when Crable was drafted, Belichick compared him to Pierre Woods, noting that they had very similar physical attributes and skills. (And, believe it or not, I think he actually meant it as a compliment . . . ugh!)

Eh, the problems on this team are not that Crable and Woods are on it, but that Crable isn't playing and Woods isn't a starter. I have no problem with an UDFA playing solid special teams.

Eh, the problems on this team are not that Crable and Woods are on it, but that Crable isn't playing and Woods isn't a starter. I have no problem with an UDFA playing solid special teams.

Woods draft status or lack of it is a non-issue. He makes over $1.5 million on a 1 year deal and has not emerged as a significant backup LB. I think Bill moves on next year and adds a new talent to STs as a potential developmental LB instead of Woods. He had an open field this season to emerge as a 2nd tier veteran; he didn't.

Woods draft status or lack of it is a non-issue. He makes over $1.5 million on a 1 year deal and has not emerged as a significant backup LB. I think Bill moves on next year and adds a new talent to STs as a potential developmental LB instead of Woods. He had an open field this season to emerge as a 2nd tier veteran; he didn't.

Intresting that you feel so strongly about 500k considering the vet minimum is 1 million.Even more werid when you consider that the cap is 127 million.

so a player who is in the active 45 is not worth 1% of the cap and also he has lead the team in tackles in spl team for a few years and replaced Izzo who we paid more as a percentage of cap.

After 2 seasons with the Steelers James Harrison had zero tackles.

Should we call Oscar Lua out of retirement from his property management career too?

Last edited:
Yeah Crable has been invisible this year. it's almost like he's not with the team.:rolleyes:

crable is toast unless you can find me a player who did anything after being a complete zero for the first 2 years.

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of the IR? It's pretty difficult to wrack up statistics while on it.

Actually, if he can get to the passer (seems to have good size speed) he has a good shot of making the team an playing a lot next year IMO.

Last edited:
Intresting that you feel so strongly about 500k considering the vet minimum is 1 million.Even more werid when you consider that the cap is 127 million.

so a player who is in the active 45 is not worth 1% of the cap and also he has lead the team in tackles in spl team for a few years and replaced Izzo who we paid more as a percentage of cap.

It's time to move on with Woods. There's no more upside. Put another good ST player on the 53 who has developmental potential. The thought was that Woods had potential to develop as a LB. He has failed to develop. Lord knows if he had any real NFL level ability, this season would be the perfect situation to play at LB. Spend the roster spot on another prospect.

Are you unfamiliar with the concept of the IR? It's pretty difficult to wrack up statistics while on it.

Actually, if he can get to the passer (seems to have good size speed) he has a good shot of making the team an playing a lot next year IMO.

and a guy who has spent his first 2 years on IR does not get off the mat.....he's gone

fact is, BB decided to depend on spare parts at OLB and guess what's hurting the team?

crable is toast unless you can find me a player who did anything after being a complete zero for the first 2 years.

as for woods, plenty of people here had him penciled in as a solid starter opposite thomas. I was not among them and it was funny some of the remarks that were directed at me for calling him a bum (and he is)

I thought Woods had a legit shot at being a starting SOLB. He's solid against the run and is half-decent in the pass rush. Looks like it's safe to say that I overestimated him, but nonetheless he more than earns his salary as a solid backup and excellent ST player.

I thought Woods had a legit shot at being a starting SOLB. He's solid against the run and is half-decent in the pass rush. Looks like it's safe to say that I overestimated him, but nonetheless he more than earns his salary as a solid backup and excellent ST player.

zero sacks.......ok, so he's excellent special teams player......a little pricey at 1.5M....could have kept izzo for less

as for woods, plenty of people here had him penciled in as a solid starter opposite thomas. I was not among them and it was funny some of the remarks that were directed at me for calling him a bum (and he is)

Here you go, moron.

James Harrison (American football) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

zero sacks.......ok, so he's excellent special teams player......a little pricey at 1.5M....could have kept izzo for less

Woods isn't rushing the passer. Last year, when he did, he was surprisingly efficient at it. And Woods > Izzo in ST, at this point in their careers. Feel free to go ask any Jets fan how Izzo is working out for them.

Last edited:
Woods is a decent back up and good special teams player. Crable I dont expect much out of, hopefully he can surprise and actually make the active game day roster. Im not holding my breath for any of these guys to make an impact. Time for BB to address the position with LBS that can actually make a difference and rush the QB. The front 7 has almost no play makers and that has to be addressed cause its the number one priority. Whether its making a move for a legit young vet, or via the draft. Im not talking about a 3rd 4th or 5th rounder, Im talking about a highly talented impact rookie if possible.

Woods is the kind of lunchpail role player that belichick likes to extend and to have as part of the team. Woods is an UFA after this season.

Woods isn't rushing the passer. Last year, when he did, he was surprisingly efficient at it. And Woods > Izzo in ST, at this point in their careers. Feel free to go ask any Jets fan how Izzo is working out for them.

Izzo is a helluva captain, though. :rolleyes:

Crable can be better discussed in the off-season, we can't do anything to a player on the IR except an injury settlement. Personally, I despair for his Football future but that's up to him next season.

Cut or suspend Thomas and Burgess.

Woods/Ninkovich can meet the bar set by both AD and Burgess ......... that's because the bar is not set particularly high. Maybe one will surprise and swim better than we could hope.

Woods has really falllen off the map. BB needs to decide whether we are 3-4 or 4-3. in the 4-3 it appears woods i useless. in the 3-4 it appears that burgess is useless.

we have a kind of identity crisis going on here.

our linebackers have become pretty pitiful in terms of starters. i only see one legit start in mayo. i see guyton as more of a LB in nickle situations in coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST