PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The rash of serious injuries: just bad luck or ... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have said, most teams are suffering much the same. The Cowboys lost their best two Offensive players for a significant portion of the year which crippled their season, the Seahawks have had Graham, Lynch and Rawls go down, the Ravens lost their starting QB and their #2, the Broncos lost their QB, their LT and their DE, Steelers lost Big Ben for a while and Bell. We've had a particularly rough season but most teams' fans have reason to be bothered about key players getting injured.

Hmmm, is this a bad time to suggest expanding the regular season to 18 games?

I'm chalking it up to bad luck, but the question is bound to be asked: is there something organizationally/systemically going on (or not being done) in Foxboro contributing to the rash of injuries? I have no idea what it might or might not be, just tossing the idea out for discussion. In light of the Patriots' burgeoning M.A.S.H. unit, the remarkable example of an ever-healthy Tom Brady stands out. Tom's doing some unconventional stuff that appears to be working for him. Perhaps the whole team should be on his program.

Edit: playing into the post-season every year might be a cumulative factor coming home to roost. If so, how should a team compensate?
i think its the fact that these guys play extra games each year and like you said its cumulative. Plus those post season games are against good teams which means there hard fought.

Below is the Pats' current IR list via Wiki (17). By contrast in our division, the Jets have eight on IR, the Bills have 12, the Dolphins have four. Elsewhere, Philly has eight, Carolina has eight, Arizona has 11, Seattle has 11, Denver has five, Indy has eight, Cincy has three ... Baltimore is the only team I've come across so far exceeding the Patriots, with 18 on IR.

Josh Boyce and Kevin Hughes are also on Injured Reserve.
The Patriots also IRed, but gave injury settlements to, Bequette, Groy, Armstead, and Krause.

CWXnPrpXIAAXajp.png:large

Damaged Goods: Patriots Have Lost 3rd Most Games to Injury

"Properly inflated" balls weigh the same amount. The measures is pressure, not weight.

Any MIT or "Hahvahd" folk out there that can explain this better? Don't really feel like copying/pasting the formulas involved cause it'd mean I'd have to learn, test, and give an example that matches this situation.

Basically yes, psi does measure pressure. But a higher psi of anything in something else means more mass in the "something else". Hence, more weight.

Unless of course you believe the hypothetical concept in theoretical physics of negative mass. Now this is something I wouldn't put past BB. Our greatest minds/scientists/physicists have yet to figure this concept out. Even Morgan Freeman hasn't yet!

But Belichick?

It's very possible he spent a week or two this past offseason figuring it out so he could "bend" the rules yet again. As I doubt the NFL rule book contains anything about negative mass gases.

Any MIT or "Hahvahd" folk out there that can explain this better? Don't really feel like copying/pasting the formulas involved cause it'd mean I'd have to learn, test, and give an example that matches this situation.

Basically yes, psi does measure pressure. But a higher psi of anything in something else means more mass in the "something else". Hence, more weight.

Unless of course you believe the hypothetical concept in theoretical physics of negative mass. Now this is something I wouldn't put past BB. Our greatest minds/scientists/physicists have yet to figure this concept out. Even Morgan Freeman hasn't yet!

But Belichick?

It's very possible he spent a week or two this past offseason figuring it out so he could "bend" the rules yet again. As I doubt the NFL rule book contains anything about negative mass gases.

Incorrect. The change in temperature means that the molecules of the gas have a higher or lower energy and thus expand or contract inside the ball, which results in a higher or lower pressure inside the ball.

The amount of matter inside the ball does not change.

You could increase or decrease the pressure by adding or subtracting air, but what happened to the balls in defamegate was caused by a lower temperature acting on the air inside the ball.

Incorrect. The change in temperature means that the molecules of the gas have a higher or lower energy and thus expand or contract inside the ball, which results in a higher or lower pressure inside the ball.

The amount of matter inside the ball does not change.

You could increase or decrease the pressure by adding or subtracting air, but what happened to the balls in defamegate was caused by a lower temperature acting on the air inside the ball.

Ha, I'm BSin' man. (Just in case that wasn't clear.) Gotta kill the time somehow. Too much anticipation waiting to see how wildcard race pans out and fantasy playoffs (including whether or not edelman plays since he's on my bench).

But think we're arguing two different things. Sure there's the ideal gas law. But if two identical items are inflated to different psis, even after you factor in the ideal gas law, the item at the higher psi would weigh more.

So the extra .000000000000001 pounds of air released from Brady's balls meant an advantage for NE's offense. Once that was corrected... injuries galour!

Edelman and the gang have been used to playing w/Brady's balls in one particular way. It'll just take some adjustment time now.

But Belichick?

Shouldn't you be more concerned about green swamp gas?

Shouldn't you be more concerned about green swamp gas?

This is not a joking matter! GSA (green swamp ass) has become a major issue at home games this year. 60 degree temps for Dec home games in Jersey are causing GSA to become a major problem for us fans. For me in particular.

The injuries are nothing. Bad luck. It's not organized, Easley , Blount, and McCourty all exited on routine tackles or an accidental roll-up. Lewis was non-contact. Edelman was a normal tackle. Gronk was questionable, but his legs have been aimed at since he proved he was all-world in 2011, Solder tore his bicep on a basic pass-blocking play iirc, Collins had an illness for a few weeks, I forget HT's injury.

If you are even pretending to think it's anything other than bad luck, you're definitely in the tin-hat club.
Tin_foil_hat_2.jpg

I'm chalking it up to bad luck, but the question is bound to be asked: is there something organizationally/systemically going on (or not being done) in Foxboro contributing to the rash of injuries? I have no idea what it might or might not be, just tossing the idea out for discussion. In light of the Patriots' burgeoning M.A.S.H. unit, the remarkable example of an ever-healthy Tom Brady stands out. Tom's doing some unconventional stuff that appears to be working for him. Perhaps the whole team should be on his program.

Edit: playing into the post-season every year might be a cumulative factor coming home to roost. If so, how should a team compensate?
Yes, because it's not as though the rest of the league isn't decimated by injuries.

I thought the team was incorporating Guerero (or whatever his name is) more. I know I've gone to this well before... But maybe the blender just isn't that effective?
Pretty sure the team isn't gonna go anywhere near him on any sort of official basis.

Below is the Pats' current IR list via Wiki (17). By contrast in our division, the Jets have eight on IR, the Bills have 12, the Dolphins have four. Elsewhere, Philly has eight, Carolina has eight, Arizona has 11, Seattle has 11, Denver has five, Indy has eight, Cincy has three ... Baltimore is the only team I've come across so far exceeding the Patriots, with 18 on IR.

Someone has to be first. Someone else has to be second.

Yes, because it's not as though the rest of the league isn't decimated by injuries.
Most teams less so than the Patriots.

Even a superficial look at the injuries for this year will see that the Pats a) lead the league in both IR and total games lost, and B) are far out ahead of any other winning team.

Has any team ever had every single starter on offense, except the QB, go on IR or miss significant time because of injuries?

So what? Again there is no sign whatsoever of any pattern that could be attributed to issues at practice or conditioning.

Injuries happen, sometimes you are lucky (as we were last year) other times you are not (2013 or this year). I understand that the human brain is biased to search for connections even when there are none but this is really a pointless discussion. Might as well go to a fortune teller.

I understand that the human brain is biased to search for connections even when there are none but this is really a pointless discussion.
Not sure why it would be pointless--there's an extraordinary amount of effort, time and money invested in researching and implementing the optimum training and conditioning regimens for teams.

I think the general tone of this thread is correct--it's a violent game, and random occurrence is the main driver. But the OP acknowledges that, and simply wonders if anyone has input on how team approaches can optimize health.

Nobody seems to yet, and that's OK, but it doesn't make the question ridiculous or pointless.

Ha, I'm BSin' man. (Just in case that wasn't clear.) Gotta kill the time somehow. Too much anticipation waiting to see how wildcard race pans out and fantasy playoffs (including whether or not edelman plays since he's on my bench).

But think we're arguing two different things. Sure there's the ideal gas law. But if two identical items are inflated to different psis, even after you factor in the ideal gas law, the item at the higher psi would weigh more.

So the extra .000000000000001 pounds of air released from Brady's balls meant an advantage for NE's offense. Once that was corrected... injuries galour!

Edelman and the gang have been used to playing w/Brady's balls in one particular way. It'll just take some adjustment time now.

Yeah I understand you're BSing but it sounds like you don't get it.

A football in a 70 degree room inflated to 12.5 psi will measure approximately 11.37 psi in a 48 degree room. No air loss. Not more or less air. Just temp change. Same Mass.

Yeah I understand you're BSing but it sounds like you don't get it.

A football in a 70 degree room inflated to 12.5 psi will measure approximately 11.37 psi in a 48 degree room. No air loss. Not more or less air. Just temp change. Same Mass.

Oh yeah, I got that. Again, just messing around. I joined the forum after the SB last season but didn't post during all the DeflateGate stuff cause didn't wanna come across as a troll.

Guess I've just been waiting for any opportunity to discuss guys playing with Brady's deflated balls. Now since it's all in the past (I think) seemed like a good time.

Brady is the man! Even if the Pats have bent the rules over the past few "???-Gates", I'm more pissed the Jets didn't do the same instead of potentially being pissed at the Pats for trying.

Pats potential cheating = scientific, undercover, easy to argue legally... "Belichick-y-in", aka smart.

Jets cheating = a coach trips an opposing player on national TV w/14 different camera angles. Smh. Dumbasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes