PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The potential nightmare for NFLN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Multiple games have been played on Saturdays late in the season since at least the 70's. It starts after the college regular season ends. This is not a new thing. It was a tradition. In fact, it was not uncommon for there to be a thursday or friday game late in seasons. I remember back in the mid-80's the 49ers and Rams playing a big game on a friday night. I used to look forward to being able to see the extra games at the end of the year. These games were taken away from viewers without NFL network. They aren't "bonus" games.
You're more likely to be right than me - my memory is shot :) Regardless, I consider anything except Sunday and Monday to be bonus games; I choose to pay for them.

My read of the whole situation is that the NFL (Goodell) would like nothing more than a massive amount of complaints by fans to pressure their cable providers to include the NFL Network as part of the basic cable package. Having a game with major "fan appeal" as the last game of the regular season plays into all this. If it's a potentially historic game, how many complaints will the cable providers field?

My read of the whole situation is that the NFL (Goodell) would like nothing more than a massive amount of complaints by fans to pressure their cable providers to include the NFL Network as part of the basic cable package.
Sure they would. But then a lot of people who don't give a rip about the NFL would see their cable bill rise - a little bit. It should go on the sports tier, if you want it you pay for it.

The influx of Thursday and Saturday games is relatively new. QUOTE]

Multiple games have been played on Saturdays late in the season since at least the 70's. It starts after the college regular season ends. This is not a new thing. It was a tradition. In fact, it was not uncommon for there to be a thursday or friday game late in seasons. I remember back in the mid-80's the 49ers and Rams playing a big game on a friday night. I used to look forward to being able to see the extra games at the end of the year. These games were taken away from viewers without NFL network. They aren't "bonus" games.
Yes, I remember those "bonus" games as well. Not being much of a college football fan in recent years, I used to really look forward to those Saturday, and sometimes Thursday and Friday games. I choose to not expand my football TV watchability games by paying for more coverage to keep peace in the family, as my wife doesn't like sports (I know, things to check out before you tie the knot. :rolleyes:). So, I feel as though some games have been taken away and I'm going backwards a bit. I do have a sports bar picked out for the game against the Giants on Dec 29.

only those viewers that get wcvb (Boston ABC affiliate) will see it without NFLN.

Is that right that Boston area will get the Giants game on network TV? If so, I'm sittin' pretty since I'll be up there for the holidays. I might amazingly get to see all of the final nine (9) regular season Pats games without the benefit of Sunday Ticket or whatever it's called, despite being a Pennsylvania resident.

what about the vast majority of America that doens't (or can't) get NFLN?

Seems like thats a much bigger problem to me.
No, those people are lucky. They don't have to listen to Gumble and Collingsworth. Gumbel is the absolute worst play-by-play guy in the history of the entire universe.

I have NFLN but the Thanksgiving game was painful to watch. I want very much to watch the Cowboys-Packers game Thursday night, but I'd rather listen to Kornheiser and Jaws than Gumbel.

As soon as the Pats-Giants game is over, NFLN is history as far as I'm concerned.

With Colvin out, I am back to my one-game-a-week mypoic view. :mad:

Re: Varsity vs JV Scrimmage

The wild card ranking could be at stake. It could mean the difference between going to tampa or seattle...
I think this is the last game of the year, so more than likely seeds have already been determined, though it is possible that the Giants fall to the sixth seed, and a win would move them to fifth.

But you have to ask yourseff: What would be more important? Resting your starters before going on the road to start the playoffs? Or playing them in an attempt to go to Tampa instead of Seattle, or vice versa?

Typically, teams with byes play their starters the last game of the season, and use the bye week as their rest-up week.

Teams without byes rest their starters week 17 and use that as their rest-up week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back