PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats will go 19-0 this year if healthy

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there turn out to be a hole or two in this roster I trust Belichick to plug them as appropriate. I can see the team making pickups at a couple positions especially TE

Does anyone really care if the Pats go 19-0? That idea doesn't do much for me. As long as we win the SB, I'm good.

And I don't even care if we don't win the SB next year. Sure I'd love to see it happen, but I'm also very rational in realizing we're not supposed to win it every year
>>And I don't even care if we don't win the SB next year.

Not me. Next season's Lombardi if the Pats can get it would be absolutely epic. I agree that no one should just expect or whatever, even as stacked as they are. But to put it like"I don't care".... To get a second repeat, and a second 3 out 4 would be absolutely huge, and like Brady always says the best ring is the next one. Get as many as you can and in particular get 52.

With all the 19-0 talk, we should try to remember we just went 17-2... I remember the Celtics starting the season 17-2 in 1986 and being like in awe of that record. (They have even started better like 27-2 in 2009)

But the pats were 17-2 this season.. Just apply that record, either to start the season, or any 19 game stretch during the season, for any of the other sports, and it would be an epic performance. I mean there is not much difference between 17-2 and 19-0...

Apropos of that, there are only three teams in NFL history to go 14-2 or better in two consecutive years (and no one has done it more than two consecutive years):
1) 1985 & 86 Bears
2) 1989 & 90 49ers
3) 2003 & 04 Patriots

That's it.
Pats also have the most (by a lot) 14 win or better seasons. 5 seasons 14 or more wins for the Pats. I think the closest are all tied at 2 seasons with 14 or more wins.

By all accounts it was "dented" pretty severely in 2009. Sure, Belichick worked to fix it eventually, but not in time to save that season.
2005 and 2009 are definitely outliers. It is hard for me to imagine the Pats losing 6 games in a season any more. The other thing with those years that sucked is they were Peyton's Colts' best regular seasons, 14-2. So both of those years felt dark, and the future uncertain. Both had the feeling of like "the end" when they happened, but thankfully it went much better.

I am sorry, but 19-0 talk is stupid. Even if you had a 90% chance of winning each game (we don't), 19-0 is still improbable. We were lucky to be 16-0 in 2007 (Ravens should have won). Get to 12-0 and we'll talk. Besides, if you win the SB, they only give 1 trophy - no matter your record.

Edit: Going back through the thread now, my exact argument has already been made - so obviously I agree with them.

With all the 19-0 talk, we should try to remember we just went 17-2... I remember the Celtics starting the season 17-2 in 1986 and being like in awe of that record. (They have even started better like 27-2 in 2009)

But the pats were 17-2 this season.. Just apply that record, either to start the season, or any 19 game stretch during the season, for any of the other sports, and it would be an epic performance. I mean there is not much difference between 17-2 and 19-0...
So, just off the top of my head, I'm counting 4 times that the NEP won at least 17 games in a season during the Brady/Belichick era:

Pretty Amazing to digest. Am I missing any years?

Not a fan of these threads, or even of the talk in general, at least not before the final few games, should we be lucky enough to get that far. Divisional games are tough. Away games are tough (particularly 5/6). Losses happen. If it were anyone else, every poster on this forum would be saying "dream teams rarely win it all," or something to that effect.

Not meaning to suggest that our thinking has any bearing on the season of course, (although I am somewhat superstitious) but I'm not the kind of fan that gives **** to the opposing fan bases or takes winning for granted. I think this kind of talk is a bit douchey. Not claiming that I am right. Just one guy's opinion.

4 words:
Great. Team. On. Paper.

I know I know... "on paper" tends to translate well in NE... team without any weaknesses... blah blah blah. I just don't want to have the whole forum on suicide watch because we lose by two touchdowns halfway through the season or something... FOOTBALL HAS UPS AND DOWNS. 19-0 means only ups. There is an infinitesimal chance that it will happen, health or no health.

In fact, the other 31 teams are the ODDS ON FAVORITE to win the super bowl, all combined.

But if you want 1 team to identify out of 32 that's the favorite, yeah I'm going with the reigning super bowl champ who did it without Gronk... plus the significant additions.

It's still us against the world, and the world can add up pretty fast.
The league minus the patriots, the other 31 teams have 75% chance or winning the super bowl. The Pats 25%. WHEN EVERYONE IS 0-0. Vegas odds. Bring them on.

The league minus the patriots, the other 31 teams have 75% chance or winning the super bowl. The Pats 25%. WHEN EVERYONE IS 0-0. Vegas odds. Bring them on.

I understand it, neali. But the 31 other teams are the favorite, taken together.

I do not care which one of them wins it all, if it's not the Patriots... well I might care if its the Giants again, and they beat us again. That I'd care about.

But frankly we're the underdogs. Good reason to play with a chip on our shoulder.

>>And I don't even care if we don't win the SB next year.

Not me. Next season's Lombardi if the Pats can get it would be absolutely epic. I agree that no one should just expect or whatever, even as stacked as they are. But to put it like"I don't care".... To get a second repeat, and a second 3 out 4 would be absolutely huge, and like Brady always says the best ring is the next one. Get as many as you can and in particular get 52.
By "I don't care", I'm saying I won't be pissed off. Unless we lose to the Giants due to a freak play in the 4th quarter

Other than that, to each there own. I've watched our Patriots for over 50 years. So I've seen the best and the worst. At this point, it would be tough for me to get upset about not winning a SB. That would be ungrateful of me.

Besides, I'm psyched for Brady to retire and run for president. Any doubt he'd win?!:p

Last edited:
By "I don't care", I'm saying I won't be pissed off. Unless we lose to the Giants due to a freak play in the 4th quarter

Other than that, to each there own. I've watched our Patriots for over 50 years. So I've seen the best and the worst. At this point, it would be tough for me to get upset about not winning a SB. That would be ungrateful of me.

Besides, I'm psyched for Brady to retire and run for president. Any doubt he'd win?!:p

He'd win so much we'd get tired of winning.

Wait wait wait, that never happened while he was at QB...

We will **** around and lose to SD at home or some weird team like we always seem to do

So, just off the top of my head, I'm counting 4 times that the NEP won at least 17 games in a season during the Brady/Belichick era:

Pretty Amazing to digest. Am I missing any years?
2010 -it is a regular season stat 14-2 I meant, sorry if I worded it wrong. Pats have done at least 14 5 times, the second closest are several teams with just 2 seasons

I wouldn't be upset either, (well maybe I would) but I was just talking about "caring". And the fact is next years Super Bowl is a special one if they can get it. The opportunity to repeat, but the opportunity to do three out of four very rare. Also, the joy goes away fast (sadly) when some other team goes out and gets the next one (Denver 2015?).... One of the ways to overcome the bummer of not winning at least a little is to load up with a dynasty a little bit before you finally don't win. Still sucks, but it is nice to have won 2 in a row, when someone else gets a turn.

But you are totally right about the Pats having already pretty much paid all us fans up in full.

PS. I want the dominance to start to look and feel ugly for the rest of the NFL the way they treated Tom Brady. I hope the Patriots break the league into pieces and devastate all the rest.

I wouldn't be upset either, (well maybe I would) but I was just talking about "caring". And the fact is next years Super Bowl is a special one if they can get it. The opportunity to repeat, but the opportunity to do three out of four very rare. Also, the joy goes away fast (sadly) when some other team goes out and gets the next one (Denver 2015?).... One of the ways to overcome the bummer of not winning at least a little is to load up with a dynasty a little bit before you finally don't win. Still sucks, but it is nice to have won 2 in a row, when someone else gets a turn.

But you are totally right about the Pats having already pretty much paid all us fans up in full.

PS. I want the dominance to start to look and feel ugly for the rest of the NFL the way they treated Tom Brady. I hope the Patriots break the league into pieces and devastate all the rest.
Amen brother! Don't get me wrong. If we dominate next year and win another one, it just adds to my Patriots spank material!:cool:

And I'm not ashamed to admit it

He'd win, then get accused of cheating in the election.

The only real reason to go 19-0 is because it it would be historic and shut up the players from the 1972 dolphins. Though, some of them might be so old/on the decline they'd forget that another team had a perfect season and continue with their banter of being the only team to go undefeated.

Let's just win the last game of the season, good enough for me.

And to think that undefeated,untied team was led by an ex-Patriot star. MLB Nick Buoniconti never got the credit he deserved here or League wide, because the mighty Bears had the ultimate MLB, and Halas would never admit the AFL produced great players.

One of these years the Patriots HOF will catch up with Canton and honor Nick, the most deserving Patriot, that is ignored. An utter travesty!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back