PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Pats NEED to start O'Connell next week...Cassel just cant cut it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cassel needs to be benched. I have watched every game and have he has looked lost and out of sorts in all of them. Yeah he beat the 49ers and the Chiefs those are 2 very bad football teams.

As the defense hasn't performed either, as I understand it football is a game of momentum and Cassel and the offense have lost it everytime the defense steps it up.

Cassels' avg pass is 6.4 and he has been sacked 19 times, offensive line has been horrible at times, but how many times have we seen Tom step up step to the side and make the completion? Cassel is no Tom but it seems he can't make a second/ third read witout tapping the ball 3-5 times and getting happy feet and always goes with the first option. He has no pocket presence whatsoever. He can't throw the ball down the field. Mcdaniels has him throwing short because he can't make the 10+ yard throws as we saw last night.

This team seems like it is not responding to him as there leader. We saw it in preseason and are seeing it now. Bill Belichick has made a mistake and it is time to try something else and pick this team up.

If Cassel is this teams QB then expect a 5-11 season. We have seven tough games ahead with all better football teams right now than what we are.

Finally a REALIST!!!! A voice of reason......what a rarity this is these days.....great realistic post mi amigo........

I agree with you.....doesn't matter if the poster is new here or is a high and mighty VIP member.....As long as they are making rational opinions and good points......could care less.......unfortuneatly it comes down to whether your a realist or an idealist.....there are a TON of both on here......I find the rose colored glass wearing homers the toughest to deal with.....because they are unable to see any faults/weaknesses in the team.....or the coaches.......

Please let me know when I have worn the rose colored glasses and have been unable to see any faults/weaknesses in the team or the coaches.

Cause, even in this thread, I've pointed out issues. People like Sivy just want to blame ONE person, Cassel. Unfortunately, one just has to go back to the first game and see that the O-line was inconsistent before Brady got injured. Every one of them has been inconsistent in their play. Light, Mankins, Koppen, Yates, Kaczur. All of them.

If they were playing consistently average, then I'd have no issue putting more "blame" on Matt Cassel and finding fault with his inexperience. But their play hasn't been consistent or average. And its affected both the running game and the passing game more than anything that Cassel has done.

As for Cassel being a leader, please show me another team in the Salary Cap era that has had that sort of capable leader as a back-up QB other than the 2001 Patriots.

Who was available? Chris Simms? Jeff Garcia wasn't as he was still the starter in TB.

If you think that BB and Pioli didn't have a back-up plan (Cassel), then I don't know what to say. And, I'm sorry, NO veteran is going to come in and give the spark that you mention unless that person has been in the Pats system already. And, only Vinny T or Damon Huard could do that for the Pats. And, well, Vinny is retired and said he's going to stay that way and Huard hasn't been available.

We do agree that this team isn't going to the play-offs the way that they have been playing. But its starts at the lines. Both the offensive and defensive lines have to step up their game. Once they have, then lets see what else ensues.

I don't know much about Chris Simms to be honest.......Garcia would have been a great move.....too late now.........I like the idea of bringing in Culpepper....or would have to see who else may be available.....Listen, at this point, they couldn't do any worse than what Cassel has given us.....and maybe we could re-establish some kind of confidence/fire/..........COHESION....that we desperately need. This whole teams "nutsack" has shrunken up like a raisin....

If we stay on this present course....be ready for the worst season in many, many years.....because right now....this team seems to be giving up........just goes to show you how BB really should have recognized the MASSIVE impact Brady had on the entire PSYCHE and operation of this entire franchise......not the best decision/backup strategy that BB has made in his brilliant career.....

No....what I am saying is this ENTIRE team's "mojo"....confidence.....whatever you want to call it....is GONE......I don't think you realize the importance and magnitude of Brady's effect on this team.....None of these guys BELIEVE in Matt Cassel......and there is NO ONE stepping up to take over as the leader of this team.......Yes, they ALL sucked yesterday......from Cassel to the ball boy......I get that.......But I just think that unless the entire team has confidence that the guy under center can get some damned points on the board,..it effects all facets of the team.......Cassel is NOT going to get it done.....the D is going to be on the field all day trying to stop the bleeding......Morale goes down,....lower and lower........bad cycle.....get it????

I am not you. I am not some ignorant blowhard with very little concept of the game who has never played team sports. I understand the affect that Brady has on this team. But I also understand that there are 6 Captains on this team for a reason. Because they are recognized by their peers as being leaders. And that they are supposed to be the ones inspiring others as well. And when one of your Captains is clearly not putting 100% effort into his play, THAT is a bigger confidence killer than anything Matt Cassel does.

To say that no one believes in Matt Cassel is you spouting garbage. You have NO knowledge of that. Its you pulling it out of your arse.

I have news for you, the O-line was playing badly with Brady under center and it started last year. This idea that Matt Cassel is supposed to come in and be some kind of Brady clone is just stupid. He's not. He's made good plays and bad. And people forget that Brady was very similar in that department when he first took over.

As for Cassel "putting points on the board", Its hard to do when your star WR is not giving 100%. Its hard to do when the O-line is playing poorly to begin with and not allowing the Running game or passing game to get going.

You can sit here and spout until you are blue in the face your garbage, but the fact remains that the games are won and lost in the trenches. And if the O-line can't get their act together, then it won't matter who it is under center. It could be Jesus and he'd sitll get beaten and sacked the way Cassel has.

No, not really. I see improvement, I'd be happier if I was seeing a similar improvement in the team across the board.

It's clear this defense isn't anywhere nearly as capable of playing from behind as we need with an inexperienced QB going through growing pains. The front 7 and the secondary are not in-sync allowing opposing offenses to exploit the weaknesses. Heck, the linebackers and D-line aren't in-sync. Phillips Rivers has a tendency to come unglued against pressure much quicker then his peers playing in the second tier below Brady and Peyton, yet in the 2/3's of the game I saw, it appeared that Rivers was rocking on his front porch for all the pressure he saw.

Special Teams last night was not so special. Sproles did some damage, having Slater return KOs had them looking average.

On Offense I saw few running lanes develop, and the center of the O-line appeared rather porous. When I did see a shot of the receivers they all looked to be wearing powder blue blankets. Jammer owned Moss, underthrown balls or not, a CB that Reche Caldwell can beat shouldn't have made Moss look so pedestrian. I know Maroney is only popular here as a whipping boy, but I saw a game that could have used him.

When I watch Cassel I see improvement, when I look at the rest of the team, it's not as evident.

Fair enough Box.....I always respect and appreciate your opinion on here....you make some great points..thx

I am not you. I am not some ignorant blowhard with very little concept of the game who has never played team sports. I understand the affect that Brady has on this team. But I also understand that there are 6 Captains on this team for a reason. Because they are recognized by their peers as being leaders. And that they are supposed to be the ones inspiring others as well. And when one of your Captains is clearly not putting 100% effort into his play, THAT is a bigger confidence killer than anything Matt Cassel does.

To say that no one believes in Matt Cassel is you spouting garbage. You have NO knowledge of that. Its you pulling it out of your arse.

I have news for you, the O-line was playing badly with Brady under center and it started last year. This idea that Matt Cassel is supposed to come in and be some kind of Brady clone is just stupid. He's not. He's made good plays and bad. And people forget that Brady was very similar in that department when he first took over.

As for Cassel "putting points on the board", Its hard to do when your star WR is not giving 100%. Its hard to do when the O-line is playing poorly to begin with and not allowing the Running game or passing game to get going.

You can sit here and spout until you are blue in the face your garbage, but the fact remains that the games are won and lost in the trenches. And if the O-line can't get their act together, then it won't matter who it is under center. It could be Jesus and he'd sitll get beaten and sacked the way Cassel has.

Now here you come out and criticize me as being an ignorant blowhard that "never played team sports"....you don't know me beeyatch.....don't make ignorant comments like that....

Now back to the point...here are some questions..WHAT do you attribute the lackluster play to then? We have six captains........but NO leaders.....agree or disagree?

Our OL is basically the same as last year.....barring Neal.......What do you attribute their horrible play to?

So you think that Brady would be doing NO better than Matt Cassel in leading this team and the offense ?

Do you think that Cassel is slow to react/make reads and holds onto the ball WAY too long? Since you feel that the WR's are not playing at 100%....what are you basing this on? Ben Watson, Moss and Welk were WIDE open many times yesterday.....even when Cassel did have some time....and he STILL couldn't see them....is this HIS fault or the WR's?

I don't know much about Chris Simms to be honest.......Garcia would have been a great move.....too late now.........I like the idea of bringing in Culpepper....or would have to see who else may be available.....

As I pointed out elsewhere, unless you think simply swapping Garcia for Cassel would have solved all of the Pats' problems, then you're just mortgaging the future for the present. If the Pats aren't going to win the SB, going 10-6 after coughing up (e.g.) a second for Garcia isn't really better than going 6-10 with Cassel.

And if the Pats felt Culpepper had something to offer, they would have brought him in by now, if only for a visit.

If we stay on this present course....be ready for the worst season in many, many years.....because right now....this team seems to be giving up........just goes to show you how BB really should have recognized the MASSIVE impact Brady had on the entire PSYCHE and operation of this entire franchise......not the best decision/backup strategy that BB has made in his brilliant career.....

Obviously, "many" means something different to you than it does to most people, since they went 5-11 in 2000. . . . And, again, if a QB is good enough to be starting, why would they want to backup Brady?

Cassel is GARBAGE...anyone who disagrees is an idiot and has not watched any game...put o'connell in for christ sakes
Arguments like that make me laugh.

Formula to win an argument:

1. Make a statement.

2. Claim that anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

:rolleyes:

Please let me know when I have worn the rose colored glasses and have been unable to see any faults/weaknesses in the team or the coaches.

Cause, even in this thread, I've pointed out issues. People like Sivy just want to blame ONE person, Cassel. Unfortunately, one just has to go back to the first game and see that the O-line was inconsistent before Brady got injured. Every one of them has been inconsistent in their play. Light, Mankins, Koppen, Yates, Kaczur. All of them.

If they were playing consistently average, then I'd have no issue putting more "blame" on Matt Cassel and finding fault with his inexperience. But their play hasn't been consistent or average. And its affected both the running game and the passing game more than anything that Cassel has done.

As for Cassel being a leader, please show me another team in the Salary Cap era that has had that sort of capable leader as a back-up QB other than the 2001 Patriots.

I dont think you understand what I'm saying. I'll try to go slower. Cassel sucks, the fact that he is a HORRIBLE football player is NOT 100% of the reason why this team is not as good as it should be. It's about 50% of the reason. The other 50? Is because he is NOT a leader, and the rest of the team cant rally behind him like they do for Brady. yes, that is is Brady is that good, and is that good of a team leader that if he goes down, the entire team goes down a step. Now, you can sit there all you want and be the "real fan" the belives in the entire team, in hopes that each week they step it up. But the real fact is that Tom Brady is this team, no arguing about it, there is NO SYSTEM qb in that guy, and he IS one man, who CAN make an entire world of difference.

I have never heard anyone on the board be more wrong than you are. Its crazy.

I dont think you understand what I'm saying. I'll try to go slower. Cassel sucks, the fact that he is a HORRIBLE football player is NOT 100% of the reason why this team is not as good as it should be. It's about 50% of the reason. The other 50? Is because he is NOT a leader, and the rest of the team cant rally behind him like they do for Brady. yes, that is is Brady is that good, and is that good of a team leader that if he goes down, the entire team goes down a step. Now, you can sit there all you want and be the "real fan" the belives in the entire team, in hopes that each week they step it up. But the real fact is that Tom Brady is this team, no arguing about it, there is NO SYSTEM qb in that guy, and he IS one man, who CAN make an entire world of difference.

You sure is isn't 40-60% or 55-45??
Where do you get these numbers???

Anyway you are toooooooo fast to bench Cassel.

He is not horrible.
He has had some good games ...
and he had a bad game yesterday.

I'm not saying BB shouldn't opt for another QB sometime down the road
but tooo many people here are toooo quick to pull the trigger.

let me explain:

What I saw yesterday what a lot of pressure and a QB that couldn't make
quick enough decisions and when he did pass he was in such a hurry up
mode that he was not very accurate.
But guess what .... TB had several games like that and ended up throwing
4 picks!!!!

Coaches will evaluate things and see how they can adjust to handle this
better in the future.
Cassel may get better the more he exposed to this kind of pressure.

Maybe a decision will be made that Cassel can't cut it no matter how
much time they give him.

But they will give him all the backing and support and see what
happens. A lot of players are looking at the coaches and are probably
seeing the coaching staff as coaches that give their players second and
third chances to get it. They don't give up on them like so many foolhardy impetuous fans do.

Be patient!

Last edited:

Are you watching these games? Cassel has had time to throw the ball and he always throws to the first read. He doesn't even check down like all Qbs do. This O-line is not as bad as you are making it seem to be. Matt Cassel holds alot of blame here with absolutly no pocket presence and his nervous ticks. It is pretty clear when your Offensive cordinator won't call a play for 10+ plus yards cause he knows his Qb can't do it. I also think that Cassel is having a hard time calling audibles and reading the defense which we all know Tom was was great at, but you have to have some sense of what you are doing out there and Cassel just doesn't have it.

Opening drive in the 3rd quarter momentum should have shifted our way and Cassel blew it, for a Qb that has been in this system sure isn't running the system he is supposed to know.

The writing was on the wall folks, the pre-season showed what Matt Cassel was made of and nothing has changed in the Reg season. Cassel need to take a seat and lets try if another Qb can spark this team.

Are you watching these games? Cassel has had time to throw the ball and he always throws to the first read. He doesn't even check down like all Qbs do. This O-line is not as bad as you are making it seem to be. Matt Cassel holds alot of blame here with absolutly no pocket presence and his nervous ticks. It is pretty clear when your Offensive cordinator won't call a play for 10+ plus yards cause he knows his Qb can't do it. I also think that Cassel is having a hard time calling audibles and reading the defense which we all know Tom was was great at, but you have to have some sense of what you are doing out there and Cassel just doesn't have it.

Opening drive in the 3rd quarter momentum should have shifted our way and Cassel blew it, for a Qb that has been in this system sure isn't running the system he is supposed to know.

The writing was on the wall folks, the pre-season showed what Matt Cassel was made of and nothing has changed in the Reg season. Cassel need to take a seat and lets try if another Qb can spark this team.

Can I ask you a question? How exactly do you know what Matt's reads are and the progressions? How do you know what he is looking at and what he is reading? How the hell can you claim to know for a fact he is throwing to his first read all the time, and only his first read?

Oh and this isn't Madden, most pass plays have someone running a route over 10 yards. If they are open, the QB is expected to find them. You don't get the coaches film so you have no idea what the field looks like most of the time, what routes are called and what the QB is seeing vs. what he should see.

You sure is isn't 40-60% or 55-45??
Where do you get these numbers???

Anyway you are toooooooo fast to bench Cassel.

He is not horrible.
He has had some good games ...
and he had a bad game yesterday.

I'm not saying BB shouldn't opt for another QB sometime down the road
but tooo many people here are toooo quick to pull the trigger.

let me explain:

What I saw yesterday what a lot of pressure and a QB that couldn't make
quick enough decisions and when he did pass he was in such a hurry up
mode that he was not very accurate.
But guess what .... TB had several games like that and ended up throwing
4 picks!!!!

Coaches will evaluate things and see how they can adjust to handle this
better in the future.
Cassel may get better the more he exposed to this kind of pressure.

Maybe a decision will be made that Cassel can't cut it no matter how
much time they give him.

But they will give him all the backing and support and see what
happens. A lot of players are looking at the coaches and are probably
seeing the coaching staff as coaches that give their players second and
third chances to get it. They don't give up on them like so many foolhardy impetuous fans do.

Be patient!

LMAO are you serious. Matt Cassel has won against 2 out of the3 wins were very bad football teams.

If you think this team is beating Denver/Ind/Buff with Cassel your living in a fantasy world.

5-11

I think if Cassel is horrible or just plain ineffective against denver and st. Luis I think O'Connell should get the nod for the rest of the season, I mean Cassel is in his 4th year of our system and if he can't get his act together in the next few games its time to look elsewhere. If we drop down to 3-5 going into the colts game, we'll have the gun to our head as far as the play offs go and I would want O'connell to have atleast one start before going into a stretch of 3 divisional match ups

Last edited:
I say we replace Morris with Cassel for a game or two...looked like he got more yardage running than passing last night. :p

Cassel absolutely stood in the pocket waaaaaay too long last night. I kept counting one-two-three-and the ball was still in his hands. Now granted that the Pats have been going with max protection so the TE are not in the pattern, but at least throw a few quick slants or something. Cassel is clearly not the answer, and with him bing an UFA next year, I think that it is only a matter of time, until BB sees what O'Connell is all about.

Can I ask you a question? How exactly do you know what Matt's reads are and the progressions? How do you know what he is looking at and what he is reading? How the hell can you claim to know for a fact he is throwing to his first read all the time, and only his first read?

Oh and this isn't Madden, most pass plays have someone running a route over 10 yards. If they are open, the QB is expected to find them. You don't get the coaches film so you have no idea what the field looks like most of the time, what routes are called and what the QB is seeing vs. what he should see.

Are you really this naive? Watch the games, watch Cassel. The problem with Cassel is that he can't see the guys down field cause hes only looking at his first read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3