PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Patriots agree to a one-year deal with free-agent wide receiver Donte Stallworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: The Patriots agree to a one-year deal with free-agent wide receiver Donte Stallwo

Might as well bring back these awesome contributors to the 07 offense too.

1_123125_123037_2156589_2179049_071231_sn_patstn.jpg

Chad-Jackson.jpg

Oh, and Laurence Maroney is also looking for a job, BTW.

Re: The Patriots agree to a one-year deal with free-agent wide receiver Donte Stallwo

Might as well bring back these awesome contributors to the 07 offense too. ..

Who have your Jets signed?

Last edited:

So much for the "Patriot Way". Shoot yourself in the leg you get 2 years in prison(Burress) but killing someone else while breaking the law you get 30 days?? Stallworth paid off the family of the dead man and they were character witnesses FOR him. Mike Vick got 2 years in jail for dog-fighting...DOG fighting. This guy killed another human and used his money and status to stay out of jail. Do you hear of him as a pillar of the community since he got out? How many rivets can you lose before a plane crashes? Myra is rolling........

no one is a lock. Slater isn't a wr, if anyone thought he had any chance they would have lined him up at wr during the super bowl when they had nothing there at all.

They are reporting denver wants something the Pats have, wouldn't be surprised if it was Welker they are going to try to get.

Who are "They" that are doing the reporting?

Might as well bring back these awesome contributors to the 07 offense too.

1_123125_123037_2156589_2179049_071231_sn_patstn.jpg

Chad-Jackson.jpg

Don't be mad that you're jets haven't done much in FA..maybe next year

So much for the "Patriot Way". Shoot yourself in the leg you get 2 years in prison(Burress) but killing someone else while breaking the law you get 30 days?? Stallworth paid off the family of the dead man and they were character witnesses FOR him. Mike Vick got 2 years in jail for dog-fighting...DOG fighting. This guy killed another human and used his money and status to stay out of jail. Do you hear of him as a pillar of the community since he got out? How many rivets can you lose before a plane crashes? Myra is rolling........

Your spin on each of these three cases would make FOX News proud. Really, you are misplaced as a biologist.

You should be ashamed of this post. Not only do we not know nearly all of the facts, but you completely ignore the facts that we do know. Myra should've never been even remotely referred to in this ridiculous post. If this were my forum, I'd ban you on the spot.

Stallworth was driving under the influence the morning after a night out. An unexpected incident happened where a pedestrian crossed the road in the wrong place, most likely because he was under the influence he wasn’t able to act appropriately/quick enough and he hit and killed the pedestrian.

This is the risk of drink driving.

I'm from Ireland where we have a big binge drinking problem but even with that, drink driving is a massive No No, it almost never happens. But i've been living in America for the last couple of years and nobody bats an eyelid to drink driving...not even the cops take it as seriously as they should. To me the US has a shocking "its no big deal" attitude to how dangerous drink driving is.

What happened to Stallworth was "unlucky" but i have no sympathy. But to criticize him more than yourself if you ever had drank and drove is massively hypocritical. I'm not pointing that at anybody in particular but odds are somebody here has thought Stallworth is scumbag for what happened but they are guilty of the same crime but they have just been lucky.

I cant criticize Stallworth more than V-Jax, Hines Ward, Braylon Edwards or any other NFL player who was caught on a DUI charge...they are all idiots.

I'm not going to get into the details - and no-one is in favor of drunk driving - but Stallworth likely would have gotten off completely had he gone after the victim who was jaywalking across a busy road. Stallworth actually did the right thing by following the path he did and not defending himself by blasting the victim. When you're going fast and a guy appears out of nowhere on a road there's nothing you can do - whatever your state; I was once a passenger in a car in this exact scenario with a driver who had not been drinking and there's nothing you can do. I'm not trying to defend all his actions and I won't say anything more in this thread but you don't get to just walk across busy roads and expect nothing to happen to you.

Not a fan of Stallworth but from a football perspective it is a really good move. It looks like they are going with more proven commodities at WR than they have recently. I don't believe Ocho is going to be there when the final roster is turned in because Belcihik won't have a 4th or 5th receiver who can't contribute elsewhere, and i think Slater is a ST player as Izzo was and doesn't take a WR roster spot, even if he can be used there occasionally. The same goes for Edelman, who will be more a part of the defense and ST mix than a WR, although he can be used there as well. So the WR's as of now will more likely look like:

Welker
Lloyd
Gonzalez
Stallworth
Branch
Draft pick or Underwood

I think he will stash a couple of young WR's on the practice squad to start developing them but have less hope they will draft any impact WR now, but with Belichik you simply never know, and he could end up taking one in the first round and bumping a vet when cuts come.

The state of the WR situation is far from settled. FAR, FAR. FAR.

The signings of Stallworth and Gonsales are all about depth and competition. The Pats will keep 8 receivers this season 3 TE's 5 WR's (plus Slater) - Welker, Lloyd, Gronk, and Hernandez are locks - So is the 3rd TE - After that its nothing more than a "Texas Death Match" for the 3 remaining spots - Today that list includes Edelman, Gonsales, Stallworth, Ocho, and Underwood. 30 days from now, perhaps Branch is added to the mix. That's 6 guys for 3 slots.

So when you think on it, its really only a 50-50 chance of ANY of them being on the September Roster. Add a WR pick in the first 3 rounds and that percentage goes DOWN. Good players are going to get cut. A lot of them. But in the end this could end up being the deepest and most skill diverse receiver group we've ever had

Last edited:

Reasons to like the move:

1. He still has the speed.
2. Working with the best instead of Grossman/Flacco.
3. Familiarity with the system.
4. Familiarity with Brady.
5. Low risk, high reward signing.

Reasons to dislike the move:

1. Poor last couple of seasons.

The state of the WR situation is far from settled. FAR, FAR. FAR.

The signings of Stallworth and Gonsales are all about depth and competition. The Pats will keep 8 receivers this season 3 TE's 5 WR's (plus Slater) - Welker, Lloyd, Gronk, and Hernandez are locks - So is the 3rd TE - After that its nothing more than a "Texas Death Match" for the 3 remaining spots - Today that list includes Edelman, Gonsales, Stallworth, Ocho, and Underwood. 30 days from now, perhaps Branch is added to the mix. That's 6 guys for 3 slots.

So when you think on it, its really only a 50-50 chance of ANY of them being on the September Roster. Add a WR pick in the first 3 rounds and that percentage goes DOWN. Good players are going to get cut. A lot of them. But in the end this could end up being the deepest and most skill diverse receiver group we've ever had

When the TE's are considered a part of the mix this is going to be the best receiving corps they have ever had, the 2007 team never came close to the TE production they had this year or coming in the future. Hard not to see this as a powerhouse offense, and the versatility they are building will make them next to impossible to stop.

I'm still for the idea of bringing in the deep threat but they are set if they had to start the season tomorrow, and they really only need one more RB to have the offense completely set for the season. Great job by Belichick and they aren't done yet.

So much for paying your debt to society. If you've ever driven drunk in your life, then you're a pretty massive hypocrite.

Off topic but Hines Ward just retired...great player

Who have your Jets signed?
Landry's strength guy:

greg-valentino-biggest-biceps-in-world-carson-tv-show-2.jpg

Glad you were able to find something to be miserable about. this must be a tough times for the fellowship of the miserable as things have been really good for the Patriots and their fans.

How many rivets can you lose before a plane crashes? Myra is rolling........

Wow. Unfreaking believable. The Patriots are getting better and almost won it all last season, are getting better this offseason and they are "a plane crash waiting to happen." it is absurd how ridiculous the miserable have become, grasping at every possible straw of misery to crap on them. I'm sure the entire offseason will be a bust if they don't give up 10 million dollars a year and a first for Wallace or Webb, and the miserable will harp on it all the way to the next Super Bowl, bemoaning their fate and how much it sucks to be a patriot fan when all they do is win.

eh, its a low risk signing for the minimum....he had 22 catches for 300yds and 3TD's last year..better year than Ocho had

im starting to get the feeling that the Pats wont be bringing Branch back...Pats will almost certainly be drafting a WR at some point in the draft...and still have Ocho, Stallworth, gonzalez to compete in camp...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes