PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The one certainty about the Pats' playoff opponent(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
There's a lot of speculation and disagreement as to who the Pats' playoff opponents will be. And it's well-founded. But there's one thing we can be certain of:

Whoever the Pats face in the playoffs will have won a playoff game the previous week.

I.e., the Pats' opponent will be a team capable of winning a postseason game.

Last edited:
There's a lot of speculation and disagreemet as to who the Pats' playoff opponents will be. And it's well-founded. But there's one thing we can be certain of:

Whoever the Pats face in the playoffs will have won a playoff game the previous week.

And, equally importantly, will have played an extra game.

There's a lot of speculation and disagreemet as to who the Pats' playoff opponents will be. And it's well-founded. But there's one thing we can be certain of:

Thank you, I was thinking the same thing.

Whoever plays against the Pats in either week must win a playoff game for the privilege of doing so.

And, equally importantly, will have played an extra game.

Well, the one exception to my dictum is that they could be torn up by injuries in a Pyrrhic victory. But yeah, they're likely to be more beaten up but less rusty.

There's a lot of speculation and disagreement as to who the Pats' playoff opponents will be. And it's well-founded. But there's one thing we can be certain of:

Please give me another reason to justify having opened this thread.

Back in September....

if you woulda promised me we'd be 12-4, a #2 seed, while the Colts, Jets, and Ravens would all miss the playoffs

I'd have said SIGN ME UP!!!!

That and whatever team we face will be better than the team we just faced.

They will not have had a week to rest injuries.

Not necessarily. If the Patriots play an NFC team, then that team will not have won a game the previous week. :D

Not necessarily. If the Patriots play an NFC team, then that team will not have won a game the previous week. :D
True dat.

But they will have won their most recent previous game. As will the Pats.

None of them want to play in Foxboro :p

just as long as we don't have to face the Discount Double Dork...that guy is real real scary I heard ...from everybody....all year...ad nauseum..ad infinitum et ultra...

I think I covered that by saying "playoffs" rather than "postseason". Anyhow, I didn't overlook it. :)

That and whatever team we face will be better than the team we just faced.

Likely, but not a certainty.

Well, I'd say it's a certainty for the divisional round. :) But not necessarily for the AFCC

The first opponent will be one of Cincy, Houston, or KC. If Pitt wins, they will play Denver.

The Chiefs are the hottest team in football right now. I pity Houston, honestly, because they've been rocked by injuries the last couple weeks, including losing their starting LT in Duane Brown.

Cincy is the great unknown. Dalton is coming back from his injury.. Will he be rusty? Will Pittsburgh be able to handle that WR Corps if Dalton is healthy? Pitt won the last battle in Cincy, but that was the game that Dalton went down in.. So, we'll have to see what happens.

The first opponent will be one of Cincy, Houston, or KC. If Pitt wins, they will play Denver.

The Chiefs are the hottest team in football right now. I pity Houston, honestly, because they've been rocked by injuries the last couple weeks, including losing their starting LT in Duane Brown.

Cincy is the great unknown. Dalton is coming back from his injury.. Will he be rusty? Will Pittsburgh be able to handle that WR Corps if Dalton is healthy? Pitt won the last battle in Cincy, but that was the game that Dalton went down in.. So, we'll have to see what happens.

Man, that's disappointing. Cincy is definitely a worthy opponent with Dalton as QB. Hell, one could argue that they were already a worthy opponent with McCarron.

All of a sudden, we went from Osweiler and McCarron, to Manning and Dalton again.

I'm glad that one of PIT/CIN will knock the other out this coming weekend. As noted, we'll automatically play CIN if they beat Pittsburgh.

EDIT: after poking around a bit, it seems as though there's still no real timetable on Dalton's return, although I'd have to imagine that we'll know more this coming week. It doesn't appear that he'll be able to play vs. Pittsburgh, however.

Andy Dalton Not Likely To Play In Playoffs - TPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back