PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official - Your Thread Will Get Merged Here If you Don't Move on from Moss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, i think you're being ridiculous ian. Moss played four games for this team. The patriots got rid of him, he didn't go on IR. That decision will have an impact on the rest of the season and we should be able discuss it on this board. Why can't i bring up moss name? as long as am not insulting anybody why can't my opinions stand..
As I understand the rules, you can talk about Moss all you want in this thread.

I've read countless posts this morning with people moaning and groaning about the fact Moss is gone. It's time to move on and start focusing on who's here and the guys who are in this locker room. This topic is getting old - and even as patient as I am, I can't stand reading it any more.

Music to my ears ... love this thread. :rocker:

:sigh: With the amount of ridiculous threads that get thrown around here, I can't believe THIS is what is being cracked down on.

The fact of the matter is, we traded our ONLY deep threat and the negative impact of that is being shown on the field.

why would Belichick make a move that was not in the best interest of the team?

This is the concept I stay with ... if he thinks this outweighs him being here ... he's the professor.

I've read countless posts this morning with people moaning and groaning about the fact Moss is gone. It's time to move on and start focusing on who's here and the guys who are in this locker room. This topic is getting old - and even as patient as I am, I can't stand reading it any more.

Let's be realistic - he's not coming back. Tennessee isn't going to cut him, and the Titans are competitive and have a chance of doing some damage in the playoffs if they continue to play well. Moss wanted out of Minnesota because Childress is an idiot and the team is terrible - and Moss knew it. That's why things went down the way they did.

Otherwise it's week 8 - enough is enough. Things are only going to get tougher in the coming weeks, so it's time to pull it together and get ready for what will likely be some trying times ahead. If you can't handle a loss when the team is 6-2, I can only imagine what things will be like if they hit a rough spot - and one may be coming. :rolleyes:

Needless to say I'll be merging all future threads related to that here. If you're frustrated with the wideout play, you're better off trying to discuss a solution other than bringing Randy back - otherwise I'm guessing this thead will be full pretty quick.

Straight cash homey

He dissed us. He had his choice of 81 or 84 in Tenn...went with 84.

why would Belichick make a move that was not in the best interest of the team?

This is the concept I stay with ... if he thinks this outweighs him being here ... he's the professor.

He's not shortsighted. There are reports that the Patriots would have signed Moss if he cleared waivers, which is pretty clear that indicates they think Moss helps the offense. When BB traded Seymour he sure as hell did not believe the defense was better without him either.

"best interest of the team" is also not the same as best team on the field this year. Clearly BB had his reasons and I'm not arguing the Moss trade was definitely bad, but even Belichick will tell you this team in 2010 is not BETTER without Moss on the field.

My only point was for the people who continue this odd argument that the offense is better simply by removing Moss. I'm not trying to argue whether Belichick should or should not have traded him. I'll leave that argument to the geniuses who know more than BB.

Last edited:
I think Randy Moss has set a record for most jerseys options on NFL.com.

You can buy on clearance his Patriots or Vikings jersey or pay full price for a Titans one.

ESPN Boston Stats - Patriot Offense Misses Moss

Statistical analysis: Patriots miss Moss - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Tom Brady’s completion percentage, yards per attempt and touchdowns are all way down without Moss.

Before the Moss trade, Brady completed 75.5 percent of his short passes for 7.6 yards per attempt, compared to 60.3 percent and 5.6 yards per pass after the deal.

The tight ends have also suffered. Before the trade, Patriots tight ends caught 86 percent of balls thrown their way. Since the trade, that percentage has dropped to 58.

Wes Welker has taken a hit without Moss as well. Check out the chart

Re: ESPN Boston Stats - Patriot Offense Misses Moss

I think all the stats and just watching the games show that the Patriots offense misses Randy Moss, and was better with Randy apart of it

Re: ESPN Boston Stats - Patriot Offense Misses Moss

I think all the stats and just watching the games show that the Patriots offense misses Randy Moss, and was better with Randy apart of it

It's pretty clear he has a huge affect. The numbers are all down for Brady, Welker, the tight ends, everybody. Meanwhile, Percy Harvin's numbers just so happened to skyrocket the past 4 games. The Titans should be interesting, since they don't really have a pocket QB.

Some of that effect, lets say the TE's just for openers, is on the TE's themselves... And inconsistency anywhere effects the other areas. How much of an effect the loss of one player is impacting the offense vs. the increasing inconsistency of the receivers in general - including Tate - is part of that equation. The running game has had it's struggles too, but how much of that is the loss of Taylor after 3 weeks and the shift to BJGE and the particular defenses you face and what they're dictating based on their strength...

Thought this was an interesting statistic...

With Moss on Third Down:
1. Third Down Conversion Pct - 55.3 (1st)
2. Tom Brady Comp. Pct. - 70.6
3. Tom Brady Yards Per Att. - 8.68
4. Tom Brady Conversion Pct. - 52.9
5. Tom Brady TD/INT - 5/1
6. Passer Rating - 124.4

Without Moss on Third Down:
1. Third Down Conversion Pct - 33.3 (t-25th)
2. Tom Brady Comp. Pct. - 40.5
3. Tom Brady Yards Per Att. - 5.49
4. Tom Brady Conversion Pct. - 27.0
5. Tom Brady TD/INT - 1/1
6. Passer Rating - 56.5

Wes Welker 4 Games w/Moss:
26 rec. 217 yds 3 TD's

Wes Welker 4 Games w/o Moss:
18 rec. 116 yds 0 TD's

I have no doubt that Welker's knee isn't at 100% right now. Nor do I have any doubt that he's still not at 100% mentally. But it's pretty clear that Welker's drop in production is not only about the knee.

Wes Welker 4 Games w/Moss:
26 rec. 217 yds 3 TD's

Wes Welker 4 Games w/o Moss:
18 rec. 116 yds 0 TD's

I have no doubt that Welker's knee isn't at 100% right now. Nor do I have any doubt that he's still not at 100% mentally. But it's pretty clear that Welker's drop in production is not only about the knee.

Any more than it is only about the loss of Moss... This was going to be a young offense in transition at the receiver positions whether he remained as a combustible decoy or not. Wes was going to have some issues in returning from his ACL this quickly whether he remained or not. If Gronkowski hadn't had his worst day yet as a rookie and Tate not continued to flash inconsistently and if we had a legit starting RB or the defense hadn't taken the classic trap game step back I have a feeling this offenses production would be just fine. But that's the beauty of the NFL. It's seldom just about talent. It's about execution and discipline and focus and drive and mental as much as physical toughness... And at the end of the day it's not about stats, it's about winning. I get a hoot out of the highly touted league leaders most weeks were ultimately playing in a loss...

Some of that effect, lets say the TE's just for openers, is on the TE's themselves... And inconsistency anywhere effects the other areas. How much of an effect the loss of one player is impacting the offense vs. the increasing inconsistency of the receivers in general - including Tate - is part of that equation. The running game has had it's struggles too, but how much of that is the loss of Taylor after 3 weeks and the shift to BJGE and the particular defenses you face and what they're dictating based on their strength...

I don't buy that the TE's mysteriously became inconsistent for no reason. The TE's aren't as open as they were in the first 4 games. They are seeing tighter coverages and getting lower-percentage throws in tighter spaces. Whether this is due primarily to the talent on defense in the last 4 games or defensive adjustments due to lack of a deep threat is up for debate.

Any more than it is only about the loss of Moss... This was going to be a young offense in transition at the receiver positions whether he remained as a combustible decoy or not. Wes was going to have some issues in returning from his ACL this quickly whether he remained or not. If Gronkowski hadn't had his worst day yet as a rookie and Tate not continued to flash inconsistently and if we had a legit starting RB or the defense hadn't taken the classic trap game step back I have a feeling this offenses production would be just fine. But that's the beauty of the NFL. It's seldom just about talent. It's about execution and discipline and focus and drive and mental as much as physical toughness... And at the end of the day it's not about stats, it's about winning. I get a hoot out of the highly touted league leaders most weeks were ultimately playing in a loss...

You can make up a billion excuses but there is a VERY VERY VERY strong disparity in production AND consistency between the first 4 games and the last 4 games. Attribute it to dumb luck all you want, but that's highly unlikely.

Let's be realistic - he's not coming back. Tennessee isn't going to cut him, and the Titans are competitive and have a chance of doing some damage in the playoffs if they continue to play well. Moss wanted out of Minnesota because Childress is an idiot and the team is terrible - and Moss knew it. That's why things went down the way they did.

Otherwise it's week 8 - enough is enough. Things are only going to get tougher in the coming weeks, so it's time to pull it together and get ready for what will likely be some trying times ahead. If you can't handle a loss when the team is 6-2, I can only imagine what things will be like if they hit a rough spot - and one may be coming. :rolleyes:

Needless to say I'll be merging all future threads related to that here. If you're frustrated with the wideout play, you're better off trying to discuss a solution other than bringing Randy back - otherwise I'm guessing this thead will be full pretty quick.

We're not allowed to talk about what the offense is becoming without Moss?

I though this was a patriots football forum, not a "lets all assuage Ian's feelings" forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST