PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Rounds 4-7 2013 NFL Draft Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to have Josh Boyce in my final mock but took him out at the last minute and put M Wilson. Boyce is an ideal fit for what the Pats look at at WR. Like his size too - not the typical dwarf receiver.

not exactly 6'2 or 6'3....but not a shrimp either at 5'11

There you go, we wanted two WR's with their 5 picks and we got them. Not the ones we predicted but both have the size and speed we were looking for. The point about him playing with a bad QB is important imo because it is a dynamic we see with them frequently, where they take a player whose numbers or production dropped off for team reasons but who met the challenge and still played well. I.E...his production would have been much better had he played with a quality QB but his abilities are still the same and he was devalued by the situation he was in. Similar to tavon Wilson in that regard, as Wilson played on a bad Illini team and had to switch positions to help their team and his production and standing slipped as a result.

Josh Boyce Draft Profile

I like it.. 5'11 4.38 40 yard dash HOLY MOLY.... speed speed speed!!!!..... now dont knock this guy fellas.... remember when we double dipped at TE and everybody was like oh yea this pothead aaron hernandez awful pick... I like this guy... his positives are pretty nice all around. Well im happy, now time for some ol picks in the 7th and im pretty content.... pats went with quality players, nobody too flashy or with big names just people who know how to play football..

Did Dilfer just say that 58% of Brady's completions last year were to players not on roster?? Maybe 58% to WR, not TEs and RBs are still there...

I hope Michael Jenkins didn't sign a one-year lease.

Well, it is clear the Pats are changing their offensive philosophy. Moving more outside with the WRs.

I disagree. Boyce isn't just fast, he's quick as well.

So, this is our 2013 WR core barring anything weird?

1. Amendola
2. Dobson
3. Jones
4. Boyce
5. Edelman

All young for once, lets see what they got.....

Edes is an established player. These kids may appear to have more upside and likely one or more do but Edes is a very good PR. Serviceable slot backup and I thought did well as an emergency nickel back, covering and laying the wood. He's so cheap that replacing him with a rook is not a cap issue.

Not just very good. . . . he's actually on pace to be the all-time NFL leader in PR average (the NFL requires 75 returns for that stat—he has 72 carries with 13.1 YPR, the current record is 12.8).

Good pick for Arizona. I really like Okafor.

Me too. Okafor.

Maybe BillB will package 2-7's for a 5 or 6?

2 positions they need to address is: OG and DT.

Logan Ryan and Josh Boyce restore my faith in the importance of the 3-cone :)

Did Dilfer just say that 58% of Brady's completions last year were to players not on roster?? Maybe 58% to WR, not TEs and RBs are still there...

In total, losing Lloyd, woodhead and Welker doesn't make that stat surprising.

From NFL.COM.. his combine numbers were impressive.

Josh Boyce Draft Profile

BOTTOM LINE Boyce's average height and maxed-out frame won't wow scouts, but the quickness and strength that made him a playmaker at the college level makes him a potentially dangerous weapon in the slot, with the possibility of being able to line up on the outside.

why josh boyce over quinton patton or d'arick rogers?

Outside of Dobson, who'll be the Moss/Lloyd guy, the Patriots have a bunch of Welker/Branch guys who they're going to try making interchangeable as both slot and secondary OWR guys.*

* Disclaimer: This is the poster's opinion of the points being raised specifically in the quoted post, about the general discussion at hand, and he realizes that others may agree or disagree. He considers that understood on a message board.

In total, losing Lloyd, woodhead and Welker doesn't make that stat surprising.

Plus Gronk missing a third of the season and Hernandez missing several games.

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- The Patriots selected Texas Christian wide reciver Josh Boyce with their fourth-round draft choice (102nd overall).

Boyce took a pre-draft visit to Gillette Stadium and is considered as a "height-weight-speed" prospect among scouts. At 5-foot-11 and 206 pounds, he has good size, and ran a 4.38 time in the 40-yard dash.

Boyce totaled 66 receptions for 891 yards and 7 touchdowns last season. He is considered an intelligent receiver who grasps complex concepts, although some analysts say his timed speed didn't always match his game speed..

-ESPNBoston.com

"Prototypical height-weight-speed guy" :singing:

So, this is our 2013 WR core barring anything weird?

1. Amendola
2. Dobson
3. Jones
4. Boyce
5. Edelman

All young for once, lets see what they got.....

Don't count on either Jones or Jenkins making the team.*

* Disclaimer: This is the poster's opinion of the points being raised specifically in the quoted post, about the general discussion at hand, and he realizes that others may agree or disagree. He considers that understood on a message board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft