PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots vs Texans Post game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seemed to me that the Texans had to practically tackle Slater to keep him from slaying their return men. He's a huge asset.

And he's been that way since his 2nd season. Yet, every year people have him as one of the guys on the bubble. Even this year when he was just given a new contract..

Slater is an ALL-PRO special team's player.. And there is something to be said for that.

Wes had numerous drops yesterday, and he did have a couple of big ones against Miami too. I don't see why stating this fact makes the poster negative. I love Welker, but his best attribute is his consistency. Without Gronk, we need him to make more plays.

Wes had 4 drops. There was a 5th one that was poorly thrown by Brady that Wes made a fantastic play just to get his hands on..

Wes is allowed to have an off game. It can't be just him stepping up when a guy like Gronk is out. You have to have guys like Hernandez, Lloyd, and Hoomanawanui (in his blocking) step up to pick up the slack.

And that is what happened..

Wes had numerous drops yesterday, and he did have a couple of big ones against Miami too. I don't see why stating this fact makes the poster negative. I love Welker, but his best attribute is his consistency. Without Gronk, we need him to make more plays.

He's always Mr negative
Read what I said

Wes had 4 drops. There was a 5th one that was poorly thrown by Brady that Wes made a fantastic play just to get his hands on..

Wes is allowed to have an off game. It can't be just him stepping up when a guy like Gronk is out. You have to have guys like Hernandez, Lloyd, and Hoomanawanui (in his blocking) step up to pick up the slack.

Also, he did well on punt returns, which might have been something that took up some practice time he would have otherwise spent on WR.

Just remembered...you know how the announcers scolded the Texans for committing so many penalties on kick and punt returns? They could easily have turned that around and said "How about that amazing Matthew Slater?"

It seemed to me that the Texans had to practically tackle Slater to keep him from slaying their return men. He's a huge asset.

I don't think it is a coincidence that the Patriots coverage special teams have been very good this year.
In recent years, BB has brought in a lot of special teams "aces" on the cheap such as Kyle Arrington, Marquice Cole, Derrick Martin (inactive this week) and Nate Ebner to supplement studs like Matthew Slater. Tracy White was worth a draft pick as well.

Of course, some will say that Pats should be good on special teams having spent a first round pick on a special teamer in 2010.

BTW I hope I haven't jinxed them.

He probably got a stinger ....

Are we talking about an Ihedigbo special stinger here or just a regular stinger...

Are we talking about an Ihedigbo special stinger here or just a regular stinger...

Man, I miss seeing Ihedigbo get injured every week.

Man, I miss seeing Ihedigbo get injured every week.

According to Ravens fans, he's the next Pollard. Why did this not surface last year?

According to Ravens fans, he's the next Pollard. Why did this not surface last year?

So Ravens fans think he's a dirty cheap shot artist?

What a game!! Everything is starting to come up in the hottest time of the season .

Defense kept HOU 13.5 points less than season avg , we were tougher than Texans , they had no Foster's big plays if we count out the first 2 runs and a couple of 3rd and short situations , great single man coverage on Johnson by either guys , excellent D play calls throughout all the 4 quarters...we forced many mistakes and deflected or blocked few passes vs ZERO deflected by Texans D-Line ( the best in the league as we approach week 15 ) What a game by Wilfork an Mayo.

Offense : Tom outstanding before and after the snap , reads the coverage better than anybody in the NFL and the no huddle - quick count combo is lethal for the opposite D . The double pump fake play is indeed one of the best throw of the entire season , also high trust level in Donte Stallworth (signed earlier this week ) for the TD and the biggest play in the game , but the most impressive thing of TB12 is that even in the 1st and 2nd quarter with the game still relativly close he doesn't throw passes even near to be intercepted .In the 3rd a few low risk hits on Brady and few drops by Wes settled up the stage for the home run 28 points lead the finished the game and the Texans .
Ps: 1)What a huge play calling , the PA balanced by runs demolished Texans D
2) Great game by Hernandez

Terrific game by the entire team. Was particularly happy with the D. Love their physical/nasty play. Got guys who love to hit. And Vince was just awesome. He's having an all-Pro season.

He's allowed to have an off game? Yeah sure, but he's been dropping a good amount of passes all season...

He's allowed to have an off game? Yeah sure, but he's been dropping a good amount of passes all season...
Feel free to provide the targets to drops ratio to substantiate that claim. He had an off day. They happen.

Last edited:
something HAS TO BE real bad...it just HAS TO!

I was just watching the replay of the game and I noticed Vereen could have had a 80 yard td run at the start of the 3rd quarter.

First drive of 3rd quarter. 2nd and 10. The run is going to look like a 3 yard gain with the safety coming in but Vereen makes a great cut to the left and avoids the safety then instead of looking down field he's looking at the cornerback near Lloyd and tries to juke the cornerback near lloyd for a 9 yard gain. If he would have just turned his head back downfield after he cut left to avoid the safety he could have cut back right and just run straight down the field with Lloyd sealing the cornerback off. The only player who could probably stop him is the deep safety on the right but I think he barely beats him for an 80 yard TD run. Even if he doesn't it's at least a 20-25 yard gain.

Instead the Patriots gets one 1st down before they punt and JJ watt gets to drive Brady to the ground twice with watt going down with him for added weight for the impact. Could have really broken the texans back with that run at the start of the 3rd. Fortunately our defense saved us.

Attachments

• Vereen_run.jpg
    Vereen_run.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
I was just watching the replay of the game and I noticed Vereen could have had a 80 yard td run at the start of the 3rd quarter.

First drive of 3rd quarter. 2nd and 10. The run is going to look like a 3 yard gain with the safety coming in but Vereen makes a great cut to the left and avoids the safety then instead of looking down field he's looking at the cornerback near Lloyd and tries to juke the cornerback near lloyd for a 9 yard gain. If he would have just turned his head back downfield after he cut left to avoid the safety he could have cut back right and just run straight down the field with Lloyd sealing the cornerback off. The only player who could probably stop him is the deep safety on the right but I think he barely beats him for an 80 yard TD run. Even if he doesn't it's at least a 20-25 yard gain.

Instead the Patriots gets one 1st down before they punt and JJ watt gets to drive Brady to the ground twice with watt going down with him for added weight for the impact. Could have really broken the texans back with that run at the start of the 3rd. Fortunately our defense saved us.

Great 1st post and Great observation. I had seen that as well.

Yes! Totally remember that play. vereen seemed focused on following his blocker.

Last edited:
Great stuff. Even the best players under fire make little mistakes that have huge repercussions. The margin between winning and losing is minuscule.

Feel free to provide the targets to drops ratio to substantiate that claim. He had an off day. They happen.

Doesn't Wes lead the league in drops?

Not to say he isn't still great, just that he has seemed to drop more balls than usual.

Great stuff. Even the best players under fire make little mistakes that have huge repercussions. The margin between winning and losing is minuscule.

Yep and of course he's still learning so it happens. The plays in real time happen so fast he only has a split second to react after he avoids the first safety. I guess that's what they mean with RB's who have great vision. They're able to see the field really well and know where to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe