PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots vs Raiders Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sad reality is no Patriots fan felt confident with that game going into OT. Against the freaking Raiders. Embarrassing performance.

At this point, I'm just happy for a win and to be back tied for first. It's a long season and teams change dramatically over the span of a few weeks. But, the oline play and on and off passing game thus far leads me to believe it'll be difficult to go very far this year. But, things change and we'll see.

The sad reality is no Patriots fan felt confident with that game going into OT. Against the freaking Raiders. Embarrassing performance.
The less than sad reality is we're 2-1 and it's September. There are other teams expected to be juggernauts who are struggling (Green Bay) and things are unpredictable right now. Me? I'm not embarrassed. We won. Not overly pleased, but not embarrassed.

Quick reaction to the game.

Brady, when given time is accurate and still a great QB. Unfortunately our OL can't block. The Raiders would've had two more sacks if not for great plays by Brady on the last scoring drive to evade pressure. Brady has one of the toughest jobs in the NFL. McDaniels wants him to make quick throws to short WRs who get little separation and have small catching radius.

Ridley/Vereen didn't look great. The Riddler looked close to breaking a couple big runs and got tripped up, but there were quite a few RFL to the left thanks to Solder getting blown up. He does look more confident running, but Pats definitely miss Blount on the GL runs. I wish JMcD would utilize Vereen on more screens or wheel routes, but I guess the OL can't block long enough to let wheel routes develop.

WR: Edelman is a damn good WR. If the OL played with as much heart as him and TB12 they'd be damn good. LaFell is good over the middle, but for the love of god, JMcD STOP CALLING PICKS. Amendola has had 3 big plays called back due to it. The refs are looking for picks and will call it on anyone(but DEN;)). Amendola just isn't getting open quick enough in the amount of time Brady gets. Maybe run some screens to him? Idk. KTs routes don't get open early enough like Amendola. Run some more slants.

TE: Gronk still getting up to speed and dropped that deflected TD. That's obviously not Gronk so I don't worry about it. He looked good on blocks in the run game. Wright had a big catch but just isn't utilized. This goes with my OL points, WHY trade Mankins for him and not use him? And if he hasn't picked up the play book why not simplify the damn thing? How many guys "can't pick it up?" 14 mill under the cap better mean OL or WR upgrades this offseason

OL: Pathetic. Tuck and Mack had open shots on Brady and he got up hobbled at one point. Devey at RG forces Connolly to play out of position so we have three lineman with Cannon playing out of position. Devey and Solder are lucky this Halloween, they don't have to get costumes, considering they look like Gillette Field turnstiles. How many times were they blown off the ball? Solder and Vollmer look like they're half assing some plays. Vollmer was caught standing on multiple off tackle plays. Cannon was late on the screen to Vereen in the second half. All around pathetic.

Overall the D was pretty damn good. I hate the bend but don't break D, because Manning and Rivers will take the 5-8 yard passes all day and nickel and dime you. Pass rush was non existent most of the day with Carr throwing from a clean pocket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back