PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The official Patriots vs Giants pre-season game thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to show anything when the line isn't opening holes. I like what Vereen did show some when he had room to run. He was quick and make decisive decisions. Unfortunately, when he finally got in, the o-line fell apart. They couldn't run block, pass block, and made stupid mistakes.

Again, you can say "i don't care if its the recently signed to 4 year extension Chris Johnson back there if the OL doesn't open any holes....you aren't going anywhere!!" ....and you will still get guys on here that don't get it. We've got some issues on OL again this year. Really didn't want to see the human turnstile Matt Light back again....but BB knows best. He got beat one time last night, i thought I had stepped in a time machine and gone back to SB 2007!

I think the offensive line play in the 2nd half should tell you all you need to know about the perils of evaluating RB play in this game.

Totally agree !

Giants 3rd stringers Defense >>>>>>>>>> Patriots 3rd stringers Offense :eek:

Some reflections:

QB - Interesting that Brady was out in the fourth pre-season game, but not the first. Anyway, he looked fine. Hoyer is the back-up. We'll see Mallett again in August 2012.

RB - So the highlight of the pre-season is clearly Ridley. Let's hope he is healthy for the opener. Good that Vereen got some experience, but he does not look ready. Very interesting that he did not return any kicks - thought he might be an option there.

WR - The Kid 'N' Play show. Kid was targeted what, nine times? Love the hair; hate the special teams penalty. How does he get it to bounce up after the helmet - are CO2 cartridges involved? Branch was 0-for-preseason. We should have some amount of concern about the outside receivers through four pre-season games. Matthew Slater was the most exciting receiver in the pre-season. I did not see that coming. Brandon Tate returned all the kicks once again. On the one hand, he sure didn't look like he won a spot with his returns. On the other hand, no one else got a shot a returning kicks.

TE - Hernandez was the most reliable receiver in the pre-season and looks like a terrific third-down weapon. Yeatman was in on first-quarter short yardage plays (was he an actual starter on the first play?) - he is ahead of Smith on the roster. Did Smith get injured? Question on Smith is IR or PS.

OL - Who cares about fourth quarter in fourth pre-season game. I was watching Sox-Yankees, so can't comment. Solder got some experience at RT with the starters. Ohrnberger was the primary interior back-up, with Wendell and Connolly out. Given the injury situation, Ohrnberger sure looks like he won the last OL spot. Tough call with Wendell missing so much time.

DL - Cool to see Ellis and Haynesworth get some time. Ellis got an early sack. Haynesworth looked better rested. Really deep group - will be tough to cut. After the excitement of Andre Carter's first game, he has been less explosive.

LB - Guyton had a sack early - that was cool. Ninkovich forced a fumble on the first defensive play. DE/OLB Cunningham finished a disappointing pre-season missing another game, and Markell Carter was clearly eclipsed by Eric Moore.

CB - McCourty sort of bounced back there. If Arrington is badly injured (leg) that's a problem. Molden played a lot for a guy picked up off first cuts. Let's hope Bodden suits up in Miami.

S - Interesting game. Barrett started, over Meriweather, and over Sergio Brown for that matter. Meriweather played in the fourth quarter. I'll guess Barrett over Ihedigbo for the last spot. Who starts next week? Who knows?

ST - Giants averaged 16 yards on punt returns - don't like that. Slater again looked good on coverage. Snap on the 31-yard field goal seemed fine I guess.

Again, you can say "i don't care if its the recently signed to 4 year extension Chris Johnson back there if the OL doesn't open any holes....you aren't going anywhere!!" ....and you will still get guys on here that don't get it. We've got some issues on OL again this year. Really didn't want to see the human turnstile Matt Light back again....but BB knows best. He got beat one time last night, i thought I had stepped in a time machine and gone back to SB 2007!

The Pats had one of the best o-lines in the league last year. Light is not a turnstyle. He is an above average LT. Not elite or even top 10 anymore, but 11-15 range. The guy can hold his opponent at bay all game and he let's him by once and people get on him for getting burnt all game.

I wish Tiquan Underwood could make the team but he has no chance barring injury. He looks really fast and was wide open on alot of plays, plus hes only in his 3rd year. You have no chance of having a career as a WR in Jax in your first two years anyway.:D

Maybe its just the haircut....

not impressed:snob: another very ugly game:eek:

O-LINE looked bad, NYG's had too many solid returns. The NYG's also burned us w/ that same RB who is vying for #3 on their DC.
We looked like the jets in the sense that we let turnovers that we recovered be our main means of offensive movement.

Solder looked blah this game:( He is a project as most ppl know. I see gr8 things to come in 1-2 years (with added strength and computability), but I hope he can can consistently become and remain an above average T in the present; I think he ill achieve this easily w/ a little time.

Mallett was winging the ball when panicked and over and underthrowed his targets. Mallett is a far BIGGER Project pick than Solder, but both players are projects to say the least. Mallett needs to work on his anxiety when a rush ensues.

I think we will be fine... it is pre-season and I look forward to REAL Game #1

Ras looked like a player:rocker:

Last edited:
I wish Tiquan Underwood could make the team but he has no chance barring injury. He looks really fast and was wide open on alot of plays, plus hes only in his 3rd year. You have no chance of having a career as a WR in Jax in your first two years anyway.:D

Maybe its just the haircut....

We may have had a chance to sneak him onto the PS, but because of his damn haircut everyone will remember who he is and steal him.

Are you projecting that from something other than their performance?

Slater has looked as good as anyone. Price has shown something.

I know it's only preseason, but i am not happy at all with the way our wide outs have looked and it was a weakness that was exploited against the jets.

Are you questioning what Welker, Branch, and Ocho bring to the table? I think their careers are pretty self-justifying.

Price and Slater have made strong cases this preseason.

Turned the game back on for the last possession - Solder false start, Solder bowled over and pushed around like a rag doll, Solder with another false start that wasn't called...Was he really this bad? Man, what I've seen of this guy I can't believe they spent a first round pick and people are already talking about moving him to guard??????? This guy strikes me as no more than a guy who'll be off the team the team before his rookie contract is up....hope I'm wrong, I'd hate to see another wasted high draft pick....

Solder has looked decent overall this preseason. If you actually watch him on every play he doesn't get beat very often and he has remarkable agility and footwork for such a big horse.

not impressed:snob: another very ugly game:eek:

O-LINE looked bad, NYG's had too many solid returns. The NYG's also burned us w/ that same RB who is vying for #3 on their DC.
We looked like the jets in the sense that we let turnovers that we recovered be our main means of offensive movement.

Solder looked blah this game:( He is a project as most ppl know. I see gr8 things to come in 1-2 years (with added strength and computability), but I hope he can can consistently become and remain an above average T in the present; I think he ill achieve this easily w/ a little time.

Mallett was winging the ball when panicked and over and underthrowed his targets. Mallett is a far BIGGER Project pick than Solder, but both players are projects to say the least. Mallett needs to work on his anxiety when a rush ensues.

I think we will be fine... it is pre-season and I look forward to REAL Game #1

Ras looked like a player:rocker:

Solder was fine at RT, he only started to trip up when he was moved to LT. I think there's only so much you can ask of a rookie to suddenly switch from RT to LT in the same game, in only your fourth NFL game. That requires a whole new mindset. I think you really have to be ambidextrous to be a swing tackle. Also his mistakes didn't really compound until the 2nd and 3rd string OL came on.

I am excited about Dowling- he is my binky this year (Price is my binky from last year). Dowling was manhandling his receivers, mauling them at the line and definitely taking away the edge. I believe he shut out his receivers. He also looks to be a playmaker and not afraid of contact. I'll go back to look at his stuff when (hopefully!) the videos of the snaps are up.

Solder was asked to make an adjustment from what he was told to do in practice this week, just the sort of stress a coach will put on a rookie to see where they are in their development, if he is a game day active he will have to be flexible.

Solder was fine at RT, he only started to trip up when he was moved to LT. I think there's only so much you can ask of a rookie to suddenly switch from RT to LT in the same game, in only your fourth NFL game. That requires a whole new mindset. I think you really have to be ambidextrous to be a swing tackle. Also his mistakes didn't really compound until the 2nd and 3rd string OL came on.

I am excited about Dowling- he is my binky this year (Price is my binky from last year). Dowling was manhandling his receivers, mauling them at the line and definitely taking away the edge. I believe he shut out his receivers. He also looks to be a playmaker and not afraid of contact. I'll go back to look at his stuff when (hopefully!) the videos of the snaps are up.

Do you think Dowling would be wasted at safety? I didn't get to see him play...

A more physical Cromartie is what I saw. Could be a huge piece for the defense this year if Bodden isn't ready and even if he is BB will find a way to lock him up on a receiver.

Do you think Dowling would be wasted at safety? I didn't get to see him play...

I think he is way better off at corner- when you shut them down on the outside, you can do whatever you want inside.

What with Bodden being injured, and Arrington getting hurt last night, who knows who will be taking reps at CB/slot for the regular season.

I think in addition to the points you made, given Dowling's propensity for injury, it might be better to keep him at corner. Presumably a bit less wear and tear at that position.

Solder was asked to make an adjustment from what he was told to do in practice this week, just the sort of stress a coach will put on a rookie to see where they are in their development, if he is a game day active he will have to be flexible.

That's true, and tell me when the last time a Pats/BB era #1 pick had such little time to get ready for pre season games AND was asked to play 3 different positions in game #4 of the preseason.

His good performance at RT and Vollmer's previous good work at LT suggests to me that if Light goes down, that the Pats will fly in that configuration until Solder is ready to take the Mantle at LT.

great point... I didn't think about that. I feel I am comparing Solder to a Rookie Vollmer and that isn't fair. I was just as high on Vollmer when he was drafted from Houston the team that had the #1 Offensiveline and offense i believe (at that time) in the country. I loved Vollmer b/c he was RAW a dude from Dusseldorf Germany that had a limited football career when weighed up against Americans USA has American Football all over the place ( It really is not prevalent in Europe or in Germany for that matter). My point is I loved Vollmer b/c of his RAWNESS (a converted TE in college as well. Solder possesses the same kind of RAW freakish ability that Seabass was basked in.

I like project players and it was unfair of me to expect a SEABASS in Solder right from the start. I am still alluded to the fact of a shortened Off-season that undoubtedly could not help drafted players of any team in terms of knowledge and skill gained.

SOLDER is still my BIG BINKY like Vollmer once was

Last edited:
Dowling looked good for sure. Where he fits and how much he played isn't quite clear, but he reminds me in spirit of the way Chung looked in his rookie year. Just point me where you want, and I'll create mayhem. Sort of a Safety/LB in terms of mind set and a CB in terms of his wheels (Dowling not Chung). Whoa nellie.

I think this D will have great moments, and breakdowns in the first 10-12 games, but if they stay healthy the development as a unit for the end of the season/playoffs will give us a D we haven't seen since '04. '04 would be a tough order for sure, but best since then? Yes. With a top 3 offense to go with it?

I just wish Colvin never got hurt, or it would be SB #5 or #6 we'd be chasing this year.... oh well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference