PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

The Official Patriots Draft (Day 1) thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My two cents after day one.

Very pleased. Mccourty is a great all around CB.

The Pats "drafted" Mccourty and #90 pick today,that's pretty good. #90 will be the TE I'm guessing.

So why didn't we pick one of them with our first round pick since our biggest need were OLB or DE?

Because there are myriad DE/OLB prospects left on the board in rounds 2-4 while CB... not so much?

The fact we stole Rexie's binky is reason enough to love him:) The more info posted about him the better I like it.

Bingo!

The fact that BB punked the jets is good enough for me.

Tubby probably choked on his creme fille doughnut.

We were sitting there right infront of both the dolphins and the jets with no way for them to trade up.

He has the physical tools to be a shutdown corner. That's at least one start. One upside to him is it's hard to get leverage on him (break clean).

So, in a way, he's kind of like Revis (only with more straight line speed)? I've always thought that a receiver's inability to get a clean break on Revis was one of his best attributes as a CB.

So why didn't we pick one of them with our first round pick since our biggest need were OLB or DE?

Asking the wrong guy, bro. Those answers are in Foxboro.

Corey Wootton is a good looking prospect, but he's going to have to add some weight to that frame of his.

Probably, but I'm skeptical of 2nd or third rounders who need to add weight.

That's what I'm saying. Quality picks in the 2nd make me feel MUCH better about selecting a CB (albeit one that supposed to be really good) in the first round. As of right now, I'm drinking. This just seems like a gamble to me but we shall see. A true shutdown corner would open up a lot for this defense (ala Revis with the Jets). Hopefully tomorrow yields great results.

Don't kid yourself. We aren't drafting any pass rushers tommorow. How many times do we have to get suckered into believing that we are. We will pick an OL and maybe a TE and then trade the other pick for another 2nd next year. Book it. I wrote on here this morning that we would pick an OL or a CB with our first pick and that the pick would be out of left field and BINGO! We are very predictable in the draft. Trading picks and picking players in areas where we don't have a need (Mayo only recent exception)

I think I'd have a little more patience if not for the fact that the Pats have steadfastly refused to address the pass rush for 4+ years now (spending one draft pick in the top 3 rounds doesn't count). If I was confident that they were going to address it tomorrow, I'd be a whole lot less on edge, but pass rush isn't any more necessary this year than it was last year: it was a critical need then too. Maybe the talent just wasn't there last year... or the year before, but we can't really assume that it'll be taken care of, which is lame.

Wow, you've figured it out. For the last 4 years Belichick has sat in the corner with his arms folded saying "I don't care what happens, you can't make me address the pass rush. I refuse to"

I guess we didn't really sign Adalius Thomas to rush the QB (or actually have a good pass rush in 2007) sign TBC, draft Crable, trade for Burgess, nah we didnt do those things.

Corey Wootton is a good looking prospect, but he's going to have to add some weight to that frame of his.

Well, if he plays OLB he is about the same size as McGinest was here. He is 270lbs.

Don't kid yourself. We aren't drafting any pass rushers tommorow. How many times do we have to get suckered into believing that we are. We will pick an OL and maybe a TE and then trade the other pick for another 2nd next year. Book it. I wrote on here this morning that we would pick an OL or a CB with our first pick and that the pick would be out of left field and BINGO! We are very predictable in the draft. Trading picks and picking players in areas where we don't have a need (Mayo only recent exception)

I would have been happier with an OL. We need OL help.

I agree. G, TE, RB, FS, CB, tomorrow..

The fact that BB punked the jets is good enough for me.

I've seen a few references to this tonight. Just curious where people get the sense the jets wanted McCourty; I thought most people had Wilson above him?

Can't say I saw McCourty's name once before the draft but my research since the pick, plus the run on CBs and the available pass-rusher types for day two, make me feel good about this.

I love that we picked up a 3rd rounder, but Bulaga has been one of the guys I wanted most in this year's draft. Vollmer and Bulaga at tackle for the next 10 years would have been outstanding IMO. I did not like that we passed on him at all, considering how I feel about Matt Light and Nick Kaczur.

McCourty was a guy I personally avoided on my draft board. I thought he was too much of a long strider at the combine when he can his 4.38 or whatever and would get overdrafted based on that time. I just didn't think it would be us.

He didn't seem to have the footwork, hip fluidity, or quickness to be a 1st round CB to me. He also didn't appear to have great ball skills or be a great press coverage corner.

The first thing that jumps out at you is that everyone is saying how great of a special teamer he is. When they are talking about him as a special teamer before a CB, it's discouraging.

I thought this guy was overrated due to the combine, and I had two CB's that I wanted in the 1st round if we decided to go that route. Joe Haden and Patrick Robinson. One of them was still available.

I would much rather have Robinson than McCourty. He seemed to have better ball skills, quickness, hips, footwork, and closing speed on the ball. I also thought he was better in press coverage and was more willing in run support than given credit for.

I don't think going with a CB was a bad move, I just don't think they got the right guy. What a waste of a 2nd round pick on Wheatley though.

At first glance, I'm not a big fan of this pick, but I have not lost faith in BB and will give him the benefit of the doubt with this pick, reserving judgment for after we see McCourty play in the NFL.

Wrong use of words. Willie McGinest?

Look at what's left in the draft and gain some perspective.

McGinest? That was a Parcells pick a loooooong time ago.

I think you need to gain some perspective. Look at the history of all Patriot draft classes since Belichick's been here. The best pass rusher he's ever drafted was Tully Banta-Cain.

You guys are mental midgets. Have fun in school tomorrow.

Before you start calling anyone a mental midget, tell me what the result of our last game was. A butt whooping of unbelieveable proportion on our own home field to a team that got whipped the next week at Indy. Fella, we have to get a whole heckuva lot better to be elite again. A whole lot better and need to stop ignoring the fact that the only OLB we have on this team is TBC and our only TE if Alge Crumpler.

So, in a way, he's kind of like Revis (only with more straight line speed)? I've always thought that a receiver's inability to get a clean break on Revis was one of his best attributes as a CB.

Yes that's his upside. His biggest downside is he's not really a playmaker. Doesn't have a nose for the ball (5 INT in 4 years). But I think he will fit in our system well because we roll the SS a lot esp. in nickel/dime.

I love that we picked up a 3rd rounder, but Bulaga has been one of the guys I wanted most in this year's draft. Vollmer and Bulaga at tackle for the next 10 years would have been outstanding IMO. I did not like that we passed on him at all, considering how I feel about Matt Light and Nick Kaczur.

McCourty was a guy I personally avoided on my draft board. I thought he was too much of a long strider at the combine when he can his 4.38 or whatever and would get overdrafted based on that time. I just didn't think it would be us.

He didn't seem to have the footwork, hip fluidity, or quickness to be a 1st round CB to me. He also didn't appear to have great ball skills or be a great press coverage corner.

The first thing that jumps out at you is that everyone is saying how great of a special teamer he is. When they are talking about him as a special teamer before a CB, it's discouraging.

I thought this guy was overrated due to the combine, and I had two CB's that I wanted in the 1st round if we decided to go that route. Joe Haden and Patrick Robinson. One of them was still available.

I would much rather have Robinson than McCourty. He seemed to have better ball skills, quickness, hips, footwork, and closing speed on the ball. I also thought he was better in press coverage and was more willing in run support than given credit for.

I don't think going with a CB was a bad move, I just don't think they got the right guy. What a waste of a 2nd round pick on Wheatley though.

At first glance, I'm not a big fan of this pick, but I have not lost faith in BB and will give him the benefit of the doubt with this pick, reserving judgment for after we see McCourty play in the NFL.

Not to get caught up on combine stuff, of the CBs who were drafted to night, McCourty had the best 40, cone drill and 20 yd shuttle times.

Last edited:

Kind of you to give BB the benefit of the doubt that when his film review, study and assessment of 2 players is different than your that you accept there may be a chance he is the one who is right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes